Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car (63852 Views)

Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / Buying A Used Car? These Tips May Save You Some Heartbreaks!!! / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by scopio04(m): 10:47am On Dec 25, 2018
Nice piece of information
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Bigsteveg(m): 3:45am On Jan 11, 2019
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

2. CMR (computerized motor registration) original copy

3. Current insurance (original copy)

4. Vehicle licence (original copy)

5. Road worthiness certificate (original copy)

6. Plate number allocation (original copy)

7. Original proof of ownership fully stamped

8. You will collect two printed and signed documents
a. Change of ownership document
b. Receipt of purchase from previous owner

There are some other documents you may need like
1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.

Nice, will get back to you shortly. How can i contact you via whats app or mail? Thanks
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 7:31am On Jan 11, 2019
Bigsteveg:

Nice, will get back to you shortly. How can i contact you via whats app or mail? Thanks

contact in my signature. Please I don't actually offer the service, I am only giving information free
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Bettycars(m): 12:42am On Jan 13, 2019
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.
Good
For your European used cars or buses please call or whatsapp 070 6587 0508 for enquiries or inspection

We are importers of used vehicles at very good prices, with complete and verifiable customs paper. No hassles, no regrets.8 for enquiries or inspection

We are importers of used vehicles at very good prices, with complete and verifiable customs paper. No hassles, no regrets.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Thrivekonsult: 6:41pm On Feb 06, 2019
adeoye27:
Please dont forget to have Police clearance on proof of ownership.

I just bought a Nigerian used car and a change of ownership was signed. But how do I get a police clearance on proof of ownership as police were not involved when signing the deal.?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Emixofficial: 2:23pm On May 02, 2019
Nice

VIN is vehicle identification number, it is also known as chasis number on documents. for cars, it is imprinted at the right hand side below the windscreen check pix for location

i am guessing you mean vin report, cause nobody sells/gets/find/buy/provide VIN, only the manufacturer. there are threads here that provide free vin report or paid for quick report[/quote]
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by computerglobal(m): 3:28pm On May 02, 2019
Emixofficial:
Nice

VIN is vehicle identification number, it is also known as chasis number on documents. for cars, it is imprinted at the right hand side below the windscreen check pix for location

i am guessing you mean vin report, cause nobody sells/gets/find/buy/provide VIN, only the manufacturer. there are threads here that provide free vin report or paid for quick report

We are your number one source to get any vehicle checked. We make it easy for you to discover the complete history of any used car before you buy or sell it. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you'll have peace of mind before you buy . Have that peace of mind knowing the vehicle's complete history.
You’ll receive crucial facts about the car you’re looking to buy that will help you make a smart decision.

Contact us via Sms or Whatsapp or via BBM below
Call: 08060365068
Sms vin : 08060365068
Whatsapp us on +234-806-036-5068
BBM Pin : d8ba2588

Contact us directly on Whats-app now . Just a click away.
https:///+2348060365068

You can get a free comprehensive vehicle report here
https://www.nairaland.com/5041564/weekend-awoof-free-checks
https://www.nairaland.com/5034136/weekend-awoof-free-checks

✓ Verify Custom Documents and other verifiable documents
https://www.nairaland.com/4916517/exclusive-claim-100-free-custom/9#74845615
Contact us for documents verification on 08060365068

FREE Easter Holiday Comprehensive Vehicle History Report/ Record

https://www.nairaland.com/5147299/free-easter-holiday-comprehensive-vehicle#77753933

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by spleady(f): 6:20pm On Jul 23, 2019
Please report vin 4T1BE30K35U995706 Toyota Camry car stolen. Thank you
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by mgdimagaladima(m): 7:48pm On Jul 23, 2019
Nice thread
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 04, 2019
update on this, for a Nigerian used car what one needs is original custom papers and a well written sales agreement signed by the persons involved including witnessess, dont need the old car papers, as you will have to do a fresh vehicle license registration.

Dont sell your car with its plate number as that number carries your name, i discovered that most people prefer to renew the vehicle papers using the old number plate even though it doesnt carry their names, not good at all.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Toscoas2(m): 10:44pm On Oct 19, 2019
Urgent pls. is it possible to buy a used Nigeria car from a 2nd users with the particulars in d name of the first user. and what are the papers to be expected for confirmation. thanks
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by CrEaToRmalden(m): 7:20pm On May 30, 2020
Do not be mislead, here are the proper documents to collect when buying a used car in Nigeria.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by ridbay(m): 7:06am On Mar 17, 2021
CrEaToRmalden:
Do not be mislead, here are the proper documents to collect when buying a used car in Nigeria.

Link not found
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by fk001(m): 9:11pm On Aug 28, 2021
nurey:

Yes you do, but since it was bought brand new in Nigeria, you won't get a custom document, you did rather get a certificate from the dealer it was bought from (elizade, lanre shittu motors etc)

Nurey I had that Corrolla South African model doesn't come with custom duty when bought brand new by bank.

It only has receipt how true is it
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 9:20pm On Aug 28, 2021
fk001:

Nurey I had that Corrolla South African model doesn't come with custom duty when bought brand new by bank.

It only has receipt how true is it

Yes receipt or certificate from dealership stating so
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by fk001(m): 10:44pm On Aug 28, 2021
nurey:

Yes receipt or certificate from dealership stating so

So if I want to do my car change of ownership, I will go with the receipt/certificate instead of duty right?

Also I base in Abuja, I bought the car from a friend that wants to relocate to US, the car was first bought by bank to his uncle, then his uncle hand over to him.

The issue is the car has Lagos plate number and I am in Abuja, VIO here in Abj said that to do change of ownership and retain plate his data that is in lagos need to be erased that means the change of ownership is not possible here in Abuja only lagos can do it.

Or I should just forget the data that is in lagos and do Abuja plate registration.

Pls I need your insight

Thanks
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 8:04am On Aug 29, 2021
fk001:

So if I want to do my car change of ownership, I will go with the receipt/certificate instead of duty right?

Also I base in Abuja, I bought the car from a friend that wants to relocate to US, the car was first bought by bank to his uncle, then his uncle hand over to him.

The issue is the car has Lagos plate number and I am in Abuja, VIO here in Abj said that to do change of ownership and retain plate his data that is in lagos need to be erased that means the change of ownership is not possible here in Abuja only lagos can do it.

Or I should just forget the data that is in lagos and do Abuja plate registration.

Pls I need your insight

Thanks

Speak with pattybf she is knowledgeable in registration I dont know how those registration stuff works besides you dont need custom docs or exercise certificate to register a vehicle
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by fk001(m): 5:07am On Aug 30, 2021
nurey:

Speak with pattybf she is knowledgeable in registration I dont know how those registration stuff works besides you dont need custom docs or exercise certificate to register a vehicle

Bro Nurey.

I don't know whether my car fuel consumption is highit usually does 9 to 10 km /litre

I drive with Ac always on, and high speed must times. Is a 1.8 engine 4 plug not v6.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 9:37am On Aug 30, 2021
fk001:

Bro Nurey.

I don't know whether my car fuel consumption is highit usually does 9 to 10 km /litre

I drive with Ac always on, and high speed must times. Is a 1.8 engine 4 plug not v6.

You are in a comfortable zone considering age of vehicle, octane rating of oil fuel and the very bad environment we thrive in. Your vehicle is okAY
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by fk001(m): 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2021
nurey:

You are in a comfortable zone considering age of vehicle, octane rating of oil fuel and the very bad environment we thrive in. Your vehicle is okAY
okay thank you bro
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by wwwtortoise(m): 3:11pm On Sep 05, 2021
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

Top of the day Nurey,

Should I boldly demand for all the listed documents as I want to purchase a 9ja used camry05.

Or are there new updates as to documents to demand in this year 2021 (considering the fact that you dropped this comment in 2015)

Awaiting yours.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 11:08am On Sep 06, 2021
wwwtortoise:

Top of the day Nurey,

Should I boldly demand for all the listed documents as I want to purchase a 9ja used camry05.

Or are there new updates as to documents to demand in this year 2021 (considering the fact that you dropped this comment in 2015)

Awaiting yours.

Nothing has changed except maybe the new V-reg the gov wants to impose by force.

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Fantachapman(m): 3:04am On Dec 06, 2021
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

God bless you for this wonderful piece Nurey.
You will collect two printed and signed documents

Please as a private seller, how do I get the bolded documents above when selling to potential buyer. I can’t just hand over the ones I received from the seller to the new buyer, cos that was an agreement between the previous owner and me. So to sell the vehicle to a new buyer, do I just type and print the declaration of change of ownership and receipt for the new buyer?

Also the names were never changed on the other documents (customs, police report, change of engine number etc) so it still bears the names of the person that I bought from. Would I need to change these to my name before I can sell the vehicle or do I just hand over those documents I received to the new buyer?

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2021
Fantachapman:

God bless you for this wonderful piece Nurey.
You will collect two printed and signed documents

Please as a private seller, how do I get the bolded documents above when selling to potential buyer. I can’t just hand over the ones I received from the seller to the new buyer, cos that was an agreement between the previous owner and me. So to sell the vehicle to a new buyer, do I just type and print the declaration of change of ownership and receipt for the new buyer?

Also the names were never changed on the other documents (customs, police report, change of engine number etc) so it still bears the names of the person that I bought from. Would I need to change these to my name before I can sell the vehicle or do I just hand over those documents I received to the new buyer?

For the first question, you do yours from scratch, you can copy the format of the previous owner doc he used for you. Just go to a cyber cafe and it would be done for you.

For the name of document in previous owners name, no issue about that, just tell the new buyer you didn't change name when you bought the vehicle. Hence the change of ownership and rest of doc would be in the name of previous owner not yours. The intending buyer

1. would have to just do due diligence by checking the name on the document and ensure they all correspond and are original

2. Snap seller and offcourse get a valid means of identifying the seller by getting his drivers license, voters card etc incase of future reference
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Fantachapman(m): 8:32am On Feb 04, 2022
nurey:

For the first question, you do yours from scratch, you can copy the format of the previous owner doc he used for you. Just go to a cyber cafe and it would be done for you.

For the name of document in previous owners name, no issue about that, just tell the new buyer you didn't change name when you bought the vehicle. Hence the change of ownership and rest of doc would be in the name of previous owner not yours. The intending buyer

1. would have to just do due diligence by checking the name on the document and ensure they all correspond and are original

2. Snap seller and offcourse get a valid means of identifying the seller by getting his drivers license, voters card etc incase of future reference

Thanks a lot sir. I have sold the car.
But now I have a new question.

I am getting reminders about the expiration of the road worthiness of the already sold vehicle coming soon. Please how can I stop receiving these alerts?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 9:27am On Feb 04, 2022
Fantachapman:

I am getting reminders about the expiration of the road worthiness of the already sold vehicle coming soon. Please how can I stop receiving these alerts?

Until the current owner changes the number registered for the plate.

Also the reminder doesnt mean anything as you won't be billed for it or penalized
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by canyouguess99: 4:05pm On Mar 02, 2022
Fantachapman:

What papers did your buyer go home with?
Someone i know wants to buy a used car and i want to know the papers i should look out for since I'll be a witness.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by charliesyndrom: 4:38pm On Jun 27, 2022
Hello,

I bought a Nigerian used Camry and did my vehicle papers through an agent. He gave me the ff documents.

Allocation of Number plate
Vehicle Licence
CMR
Insurance
Proof of Ownership Certificate
Change of ownership
Road Worthiness cert(without referral letter and I didn't go inspection)

I verified the insurance and its legit
I scanned the new plate number on Autoreg and it brought out the validity of my vehicle licence but when i checked the number plates on frsc website it pops up VALID BUT YET TO BE ASSIGNED. Normally the frsc website should bring out the car make and colour and that's my concern at the moment. The agent claimed that its a Lagos plate number and frsc is a federal character, that it takes time for it to be updated on frsc website.
Also, the road worthiness certificate he gave me did not come with referal note. I understand that the referal note is issued and that's what u should go with to the inspection centre. I was not chanced at the moment so I told him I wont be coming for inspection and he was still able to get me the certificate of road worthiness. I want to know if my road worthiness certificate is valid as I did not go for inspection and if vio officers or police or frsc officers on the road would be able to know that I did not go for inspection despite having the certificate with me. Do I have to present vehicle inspection report or the referal note alongside the certificate or does the certificate covers it all? I have only the certificate.
I plan on travelling to the east soon with the vehicle and don't want any issue on the road.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by jceesquare(m): 11:45pm On Jun 28, 2022
charliesyndrom:
Hello,

I bought a Nigerian used Camry and did my vehicle papers through an agent. He gave me the ff documents.

Allocation of Number plate
Vehicle Licence
CMR
Insurance
Proof of Ownership Certificate
Change of ownership
Road Worthiness cert(without referral letter and I didn't go inspection)

I verified the insurance and its legit
I scanned the new plate number on Autoreg and it brought out the validity of my vehicle licence but when i checked the number plates on frsc website it pops up VALID BUT YET TO BE ASSIGNED. Normally the frsc website should bring out the car make and colour and that's my concern at the moment. The agent claimed that its a Lagos plate number and frsc is a federal character, that it takes time for it to be updated on frsc website.
Also, the road worthiness certificate he gave me did not come with referal note. I understand that the referal note is issued and that's what u should go with to the inspection centre. I was not chanced at the moment so I told him I wont be coming for inspection and he was still able to get me the certificate of road worthiness. I want to know if my road worthiness certificate is valid as I did not go for inspection and if vio officers or police or frsc officers on the road would be able to know that I did not go for inspection despite having the certificate with me. Do I have to present vehicle inspection report or the referal note alongside the certificate or does the certificate covers it all? I have only the certificate.
I plan on travelling to the east soon with the vehicle and don't want any issue on the road.
If you're in Lagos, I'd suggest you take your papers (especially the roadworthy) to any VIO office for verification.
You would be in serious trouble if the documents are fake and you're caught.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by dhamiylhola(m): 3:16am On Jun 29, 2022
InvertedHammer:

/.
This is how Nigeria complicates even the smallest of endeavours.

\

Person dey give detailed analysis you say he dey complicate things
Nothing dey ever sit well for una

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The All New 2024 Toyota Prado... What's Your Take? / Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.