Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,699 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car (63855 Views)

Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / Buying A Used Car? These Tips May Save You Some Heartbreaks!!! / Top 10 Most Problematic Cars To Avoid When Buying A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by InvertedHammer: 6:57am On Jun 29, 2022
dhamiylhola:

Person dey give detailed analysis you say he dey complicate things
Nothing dey ever sit well for una
/
Your problem is comprehension.
A car's documents comprise of Registration and proof of Insurance only. But in Nigeria, they want you to carry all kinds of documents --Registration, 3rd party insurance, Proof of Ownership, Tint permit, ECMR, etc. That's how they complicate otherwise simple things.

Got that?

/

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by dhamiylhola(m): 11:25am On Jun 29, 2022
InvertedHammer:

/
Your problem is comprehension.
A car's documents comprise of Registration and proof of Insurance only. But in Nigeria, they want you to carry all kinds of documents --Registration, 3rd party insurance, Proof of Ownership, Tint permit, ECMR, etc. That's how they complicate otherwise simple things.

Got that?

/

When they stop you on Benin/Ore expressway, tell them you have only your Registration and proof of insurance.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by InvertedHammer: 3:22pm On Jun 29, 2022
dhamiylhola:

When they stop you on Benin/Ore expressway, tell them you have only your Registration and proof of insurance.

/

You are indeed a slowpoke. Get off my mention.

/
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by dhamiylhola(m): 2:03am On Jun 30, 2022
InvertedHammer:

/

You are indeed a slowpoke. Get off my mention.

/

Comman carry me out of Nairaland

Aburo Seun
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by skywalker240(m): 11:14pm On Jun 30, 2022
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

2. CMR (computerized motor registration) original copy

3. Current insurance (original copy)

4. Vehicle licence (original copy)

5. Road worthiness certificate (original copy)

6. Plate number allocation (original copy)

7. Original proof of ownership fully stamped

8. You will collect two printed and signed documents
a. Change of ownership document
b. Receipt of purchase from previous owner

There are some other documents you may need like
1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.
Thanks for this enlightenment, may God continue to broaden your knowledge

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by CamelCase: 12:18am On Jul 12, 2022
nurey:
1. custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer but make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap and don't take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap, it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.

1. Tinted permit doc
2. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number (which we call vin)

make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.

Once the car doesn't have custom doc except it's a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.

Boss I need your help,
I'm going to buy these unregistered sienna in Ogun state today!!

My mechanic and inspection guy failed me.. can you help?
Please quote me, it's bery important that I speak with you
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 6:55am On Jul 12, 2022
CamelCase:

Boss I need your help,
I'm going to buy these unregistered sienna in Ogun state today!!

My mechanic and inspection guy failed me.. can you help?
Please quote me, it's bery important that I speak with you

I am not available for inspection, book another date for inspection or find another specimen to buy
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by CamelCase: 9:48pm On Jul 12, 2022
nurey:

I am not available for inspection, book another date for inspection or find another specimen to buy

Thanks for all the documents the made mention of..

I'm a total novice at cars and only relying on this piece of information and my mechanic.

Please must I do the change of ownership here before finalizing the deal. Or I can it anytime while I drive with previous users own..

I really need your advice
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by CamelCase: 3:18am On Jul 13, 2022
nurey:

Please help with your phone number I need to be calling you te tell me what to do, pls big man..

Or here is mine, pls WhatsApp or call me so I can have yours
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 4:35am On Jul 13, 2022
CamelCase:

Thanks for all the documents the made mention of..

I'm a total novice at cars and only relying on this piece of information and my mechanic.

Please must I do the change of ownership here before finalizing the deal. Or I can it anytime while I drive with previous users own..

I really need your advice

You can do change of ownership at your own convenience any time you like as long as owner didn't remove his plate number.

You can drive with previous users docs for as long as you like but
1. When police ask who owns the car, never tell them it's yours say it s for a friend or uncle or whatever.

2. If you meet police with choko 4 head they can ask you to call that uncle or friend let them speak with him to ascertain you didn't elope with vehicle.

Best advice most times is to change documents name to yours as soon as possible. But if the docs is in a female name, they won't bother you much.

If you tell them the vehicle is yours, they would charge you for not doing change of ownership, they would also ask for some lengthy docs either way one is screwed
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 4:38am On Jul 13, 2022
CamelCase:

Please help with your phone number I need to be calling you te tell me what to do, pls big man..

Or here is mine, pls WhatsApp or call me so I can have yours

Msg sent to you
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by Lhadhey: 8:20am On Jul 13, 2022
The Ama-Zuma Group was established on the basis integrity and commitment to excellence. The group is currently made up of three subsidiaries. These are Ama-Zuma Services Limited, Ama-Zuma Oil & Gas Nigeria Limited and Ama-Zuma Bureau De Change. Ama-Zuma Services Limited is the first of the three companies and was incorporated in Nigeria as a private limited company on the 13th of April 2005, with RC No. 0019499. In its modest period of existence, the company has excelled in the field of Electro-Mechanical Installations, Telecommunication Engineering, Sales & Comprehensive Maintenance of Generators of various capacities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Personal Drivers
Requirements
• SSCE / HND qualification.
• 5 – 10 years cognate experience as an Personal Driver
• Must have a valid Driver’s License.
• Must be able to drive both manual and Automatic.
• Any professional certification is a plus.
• He should have the capacity to carry out his obligations in an expert way.
• He must be very well trained.
• He should have the skill to drive.
• Must have the necessary authorization to drive.
• He should have sufficient knowledge of traffic laws.
• He must have a clean driving record.
• He must be a safety conscious person.
• He must be focused confident and observant.
• Extensive knowledge of the operating area.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Good verbal communication.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to: hradvertizer@yahoo.com using “Personal Drivers” as the subject of the mail.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by eghuan1(m): 3:08pm On Jul 13, 2022
nurey:

You can do change of ownership at your own convenience any time you like as long as owner didn't remove his plate number.

You can drive with previous users docs for as long as you like but
1. When police ask who owns the car, never tell them it's yours say it s for a friend or uncle or whatever.

2. If you meet police with choko 4 head they can ask you to call that uncle or friend let them speak with him to ascertain you didn't elope with vehicle.

Best advice most times is to change documents name to yours as soon as possible. But if the docs is in a female name, they won't bother you much.

If you tell them the vehicle is yours, they would charge you for not doing change of ownership, they would also ask for some lengthy docs either way one is screwed

Bros all these you mentioned can be taken care off with some Naira notes as long as we still de road and na Nigeria Police we de talk about here o.

Na when matter enter office we go understand say money don increase. But to say one is screwed, na because say money high. Nothing else
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 3:25pm On Jul 13, 2022
eghuan1:

Bros all these you mentioned can be taken care off with some Naira notes as long as we still de road and na Nigeria Police we de talk about here o.

Na when matter enter office we go understand say money don increase. But to say one is screwed, na because say money high. Nothing else

Have you reached police station and they begin to tell you say gun and expended cartridge was found on you and that the said gun had been used to commit murder and you were found in a crime scene pray that you never enter police wahala because by the time reality hits you, you will be far gone to a point of no return.

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by eghuan1(m): 4:39pm On Jul 13, 2022
nurey:

Have you reached police station and they begin to tell you say gun and expended cartridge was found on you and that the said gun had been used to commit murder and you were found in a crime scene pray that you never enter police wahala because by the time reality hits you, you will be far gone to a point of no return.

This is why you should never allow any police matter reach station because story go change

Always settle your police matter for road
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by SocietalReporta: 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2022
Lhadhey:
The Ama-Zuma Group was established on the basis integrity and commitment to excellence. The group is currently made up of three subsidiaries. These are Ama-Zuma Services Limited, Ama-Zuma Oil & Gas Nigeria Limited and Ama-Zuma Bureau De Change. Ama-Zuma Services Limited is the first of the three companies and was incorporated in Nigeria as a private limited company on the 13th of April 2005, with RC No. 0019499. In its modest period of existence, the company has excelled in the field of Electro-Mechanical Installations, Telecommunication Engineering, Sales & Comprehensive Maintenance of Generators of various capacities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Personal Drivers
Requirements
• SSCE / HND qualification.
• 5 – 10 years cognate experience as an Personal Driver
• Must have a valid Driver’s License.
• Must be able to drive both manual and Automatic.
• Any professional certification is a plus.
• He should have the capacity to carry out his obligations in an expert way.
• He must be very well trained.
• He should have the skill to drive.
• Must have the necessary authorization to drive.
• He should have sufficient knowledge of traffic laws.
• He must have a clean driving record.
• He must be a safety conscious person.
• He must be focused confident and observant.
• Extensive knowledge of the operating area.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Good verbal communication.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to: hradvertizer@yahoo.com using “Personal Drivers” as the subject of the mail.
Bros, are you working in Ama Zuma?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by dracula22(m): 11:19am On Sep 21, 2022
Hello guys, I intend buying a fairly used Keke, do I need to do any registrations again and what are the documents the owner should give me.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by depure(m): 10:49pm On Sep 23, 2022
nurey:

Yes you do, but since it was bought brand new in Nigeria, you won't get a custom document, you did rather get a certificate from the dealer it was bought from (elizade, lanre shittu motors etc)
in absence of the receipt from this elizade lanre and co what can the seller do
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 9:17am On Sep 24, 2022
depure:
in absence of the receipt from this elizade lanre and co what can the seller do

You will have to repay the custom exercise since you have lost the C number
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by depure(m): 5:55pm On Sep 24, 2022
nurey:

You will have to repay the custom exercise since you have lost the C number
Thanks
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by OliranServices: 7:15am On Dec 07, 2022
@oliran
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by saysugar(m): 3:21pm On Dec 25, 2022
Wow boss nurey again grin I dey look for this sha
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by smsgrouper: 12:06am On Jan 08, 2023
nurey:

1. Tinted permit doc

Why can’t police verify if all vehicle for sale are actually put up by the rightful owner, issue a document or sticker. And save us from doing this long verification by ourselves

1 Like

Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 4:22am On Jan 08, 2023
smsgrouper:

Why can’t police verify if all vehicle for sale are actually put up by the rightful owner, issue a document or sticker. And save us from doing this long verification by ourselves

Because it is a financial burden to police, which individuals won't want to foot the bill.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by smsgrouper: 11:14am On Jan 08, 2023
nurey:

Because it is a financial burden to police, which individuals won't want to foot the bill.

Financial burden? The seller burn the cost first, which will in turn be transferred to the buyer. In a country like the US, If you want to check the status of a car before paying to buy it. You will pay for title check. And moreso, the document fee shouldn’t be any big deal.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 11:24am On Jan 08, 2023
smsgrouper:

Financial burden? The seller burn the cost first, which will in turn be transferred to the buyer. In a country like the US, If you want to check the status of a car before paying to buy it. You will pay for title check. And moreso, the document fee shouldn’t be any big deal.

Documentation
Data
Expensive hardwares to store information
Technical man power etc.

It's a financial gain on the long run but where is the capital to set it up. The heads would rather misappropriate the funds when given
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by quinSonia(f): 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2023
nurey:

Documentation
Data
Technical man power etc.

It's a financial gain on the long run but where is the capital to set it up. The heads would rather misappropriate the funds when given

Pls can I ask you a question!?

As a first time road user

I’m thinking of getting a VENZA ?

Direct from Lagos or Nigerian used
With a budget of 5/6M

is it possible?

Zero knowledge on cars and only been to a driving school last year December
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2023
quinSonia:

Pls can I ask you a question!?

As a first time road user

I’m thinking of getting a VENZA ?

Direct from Lagos or Nigerian used
With a budget of 5/6M

is it possible?

Zero knowledge on cars and only been to a driving school last year December

Yes though foreign used starts from 8million plus while naija used 5mplus. Get a good technician to help you check some specimens. You can buy the 4 cylinder for good fuel economy and the engine and gear are solid no issue.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by quinSonia(f): 10:54pm On Jan 08, 2023
nurey:

Yes though foreign used starts from 8million plus while naija used 5mplus. Get a good technician to help you check some specimens. You can buy the 4 cylinder for good fuel economy and the engine and gear are solid no issue.

I’m thinking of the V6 and maybe double pano roof and other qualities I should be looking for pls very important I can’t afford to be seeing mechanic I’m too young for that stress
Which year will be preferable ?
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by nurey(m): 11:24pm On Jan 08, 2023
quinSonia:

I’m thinking of the V6 and maybe double pano roof and other qualities I should be looking for pls very important I can’t afford to be seeing mechanic I’m too young for that stress
Which year will be preferable ?

Any year your budget can buy as all year are reliable

To avoid constant mechanic visit do a PPI on the.engine and power train with a certified mechanic before you purchase.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by smsgrouper: 11:00am On Jan 09, 2023
nurey:

Documentation
Data
Technical man power etc.

Yes you may be correct as per the misappropriation of funds. But motor vehicle administration agencies should be able to give the public access to verify national vehicle info database. All we have access to, as an individual are just papers, which can easily be forged.
Re: Documents Needed When Buying A Used Car by quinSonia(f): 11:48am On Jan 09, 2023
nurey:

Any year your budget can buy as all year are reliable

To avoid constant mechanic visit do a PPI on the.engine and power train with a certified mechanic before you purchase.

Okay thanks

Any mechanic can do a PPI & a power train ?

what’s a ppi ?

And what’s a power train ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The All New 2024 Toyota Prado... What's Your Take? / Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain / Is It Ok To Drive This Car As A Lady(photo)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.