Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! (13883 Views)

Poll: Opinion poll: who wins the Ekiti rerun election?

Fayemi (AC): 82% (14 votes)
Segun Oni (PDP): 17% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Fashola, Segun Oni, Amaechi, Ezekwesili, Danbazzau May Make Buhari’s Cabinet. / Do You Think Segun Oni Really Deserves This Kind Of Insult From Governor Fayose? / APC Wins First Election In Kwara State!!! PDP declared instead!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 3:24pm On Apr 27, 2009
dammiecool:

I really want AC 2 win in my home state,how true is d above info
so dat we wont start rejoicin over fake result grin grin
Confirm by clicking on the link I supplied if you are that passionate about our state.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 3:46pm On Apr 27, 2009
Deadlock in Ekiti: Protest against INEC continues

The deadlock over the election re-runs in Ekiti continued today with mass public protests in Ekiti. The protesters are asking the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare the election results favorable to Action Congress candidate, Kayode Fayemi.

But Nigeria’s controversial electoral umpire, Maurice Iwu, added another controversial dimension to the crisis by claiming that the Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mrs. Ayoka Adebayo, is sick and therefore unable to announce the result, since she is the only person constitutionally empowered to do so. However, members of Mrs. Adebayo’s family told Saharareporters that Iwu was lying, asking that if she was sick as he claimed, we should ask Mr. Iwu to tell us in what hospital she is currently receiving treatment.

They further told our reporters that Mrs Adebayo had been summoned to Abuja to give the election results but that she declined to declare a “doctored” result that was already prepared by Maurice Iwu and powerful members of the PDP at the Nigerian presidency.

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2604:deadlock-in-ekiti-protest-against-inec-continues&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by desgiezd(m): 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2009
PDP is so desperate even when it is clear that majority of the people do not want them. They shall fail!!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by oderemo(m): 4:31pm On Apr 27, 2009
now i know this yar r dull will lead us to doom. cant hold election in one state out of 36.mo ti gbe.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2009
It's getting worse.
For minute by minute update check out http://twitter.com/ekitirr
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by fyneguy: 5:56pm On Apr 27, 2009
Honestly, I will use this Ekiti election to determine Yaradua's sincerity. If they go-ahead and announce the fake result, then we should forget about electoral reform!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 6:20pm On Apr 27, 2009
Abeg,wetin be the latest?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by MrCrackles(m): 6:44pm On Apr 27, 2009
Exactly, i am keen to get the latest info ASAP!

I hope they dont do ojoro again, as usual!!
tongue
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2009
Yar’adua, Maurice Iwu, Bankole and David Mark to Meet Soonest on Ekiti Crisis.

The situation in Ekiti state may have caused the Nigerian leadership an unexpected challenge of the avowed promise by Yar’Adua at his inauguration to ensure electoral reforms that would lead to credible results. Saharareporters has been informed that that Yar’Adua, caught between proclamations and reality, has summoned his beleaguered Electoral Commission boss, Maurice Iwu, Speaker Bankole and Senate President David Mark to an urgent meeting in Abuja tonight to discuss declaring PDP Segun Oni the winner of the re-run elections.

The meeting would also consider the scenario of imposing a state of emergency in Ekiti State for at least six months, thereby permitting Yar’adua the luxury of imposing an administrator on the state for the period.

Tonight's crisis meeting was occasioned by the refusal of people in Ekiti state to allow the Maurice Iwu led Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare pre-fabricated electoral results that would have seen Segun Oni, the PDP candidate, winning the re-run by a margin of 10,000 votes.

The people of the state have continued their protests by setting street bonfires in the state capital and other major towns. In the past, INEC has dutifully returned candidates of the ruling party to the governorship position from which they were subdequently removed by court rulings. It is only in Ekiti State that the people have frustrated that match plan.

It would also be recalled that in Cross River, Sokoto, and Bayelsa states, the PDP candidates won election re-runs with little obstacle

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2608:yaradua-maurice-iwu-bankole-and-david-mark-to-meet-soonest-on-ekiti-crisis&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

NOBODY CAN START IN FRONT ON AN EXPRESS TRAIN AND LIVE TO TELL THE STORY. . . Watch Out for the Broom Revolution.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by MrCrackles(m): 8:05pm On Apr 27, 2009
This is getting bloody ridiculous now! angry
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 8:28pm On Apr 27, 2009
Naija people with stupid ideas,which kind yaradua be dis sef? This might lead to civil war oh!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 8:30pm On Apr 27, 2009
They should release dis result now.I don call ekiti tire today.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Emperoh(m): 10:50pm On Apr 27, 2009
This is a really serious worry for Yar'adua assuming he wants to doctor the results.
If they have to declare a fake result, they have to begin by nullifying the 11000 votes AC already has prior to this elections as was given to them by the Supreme court. As at Sunday afternoon, according to Thisday, AC has 14026 votes while PDP has 14426 (or thereabout)
Now add 11000 to this figure for AC and bearing in mind that elections in two wards in Oye LGA are still to be held
Then you will know this is an uphill task for PDP.

My only worry is Fayemi courting Fayose
That guy should be in prison for God's sake. Only for PDP to make him look like a hero
Inviting him as if he is the arbiter or decider in the voting formula
Now he is feeling indispensable
GOSH!!! this country needs a serious revolution worse than that in france in 1789
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by debosky(m): 10:56pm On Apr 27, 2009
Sahara has come with their cock and bull stories again. Discussing to declare state of emergency? Over what?

That is an aside anyways

@ Emperoh

The ward elections remaining hold 18,000 registered voters, so there is more than enough room for manoeuvrings by PDP.

With this 'indefinite' postponement of the elections in those wards, who knows what is going to happen? There are rumours of the electoral officer in charge refusing to declare doctored results. If INEC is making a shambles of this single election, imagine what will happen all over the country in the next general elections?

That man needs to be removed at all costs - he is causing too much mayhem.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by asha80(m): 11:09pm On Apr 27, 2009
UPDATED AT 19.00 GMT
INEC postpones Ekiti guber polls indefinitely

Citing inability to produce election results for the two wards in Oye Local Government Area of Ekiti State due to alleged electoral violence and the health of the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), who reportedly took ill on Sunday, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday said no results could be announced yet, leaving the exercise a 'no victor, no vanquished' scenario. Briefing the press in Abuja, INEC Chairman, Prof. Maurice Iwu said it was not possible for the REC to declare a winner of the election, which was conducted on Saturday, without conducting elections in the remaining two wards in Oye Local Council. He noted that the two close contenders to the state's seat of power, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the Action Congress (AC) ran "neck to neck", dismissing any speculations of awarding the election to any of the two parties given the indices on ground. "It is impossible for the REC therefore to declare a winner of the governorship election in Ekiti State without conducting election in the remaining two Registration Areas (Wards) in Oye Local Government Area and obtaining results there from. Now, going by the scores of the candidates in the election, the two leading contenders are running neck to neck. The expected votes in the remaining local government area of Oye, is in the neighborhood of 18,000 going by the number of registered voters," Iwu said
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/breaking_news/article01
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Tayealobs: 11:14pm On Apr 27, 2009
Its so glaring that PDP form of democracy is DO or DIE AFFAIR , quoting PDP Past President General Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo , !!!
I wonder why people crave for power at all cost.

INEC have failed our Nation Nigeria as usual for not being able to manage the situation in Ekiti State before the election and its just so sad when you read all this stuff on our national dailies.

I would have prefered INEC will resort back to Option A4 since they can't manage the secret ballot system with all the money and logistics pumped into the project.

Well, i know Fayemi will win the election in Ekiti state but PDP won't give in that easy, they would use all devilish method to truncate the process but they will all fail.

PDP is a party full of politicians who don't have anything to offer the country and apart they are all corrupt individuals and evil minded ready to acquire power or retain power by any means they can think of.

Mr. President was in Ekiti state to support his party, what do they take Nigerain's for? don't Mr. President have better things to do with his time because his presence in Ekiti is like an approval for PDP to go out all to win at all cost and thats what they did but they have failed  tongue

Nigerian's should wake up and face reality PDP party is a failure , angry
The nation is at a stand still no development, nothing is happening because we have a governement that is doing nothing but busy dealing with irrelevant issues and wasting national resources and precious time to make the difference.

Oh God, pls sustain our democracy and cleanse our country Nigeria.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by SweetT1: 11:14pm On Apr 27, 2009
These people are very funny, what do you expect from Ekiti?? Ekiti people can not gather in one spot even if there is free food or drinks, they will find a way to fight or argue. Ekiti people are just made like that, they are made to argue or fight even with free iyan and egusi. They are very book smart and that is why they always like to prove something.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by lyfe(m): 11:44pm On Apr 27, 2009
Photo Journalist attacked in Ekiti State by the PDP members.
Good People, Great Nation wink

Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Tshei: 12:00am On Apr 28, 2009
Ekiti is another big problem to Nigera just as the niger delta militant's
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by manoy(m): 12:00am On Apr 28, 2009
infact,iwu should resign cos he has failed.Wat sort of games are they playing with/in state? This is disgusting! Must PDp rule by all means?
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by kaypumpin2(m): 12:49am On Apr 28, 2009
debosky:

Sahara has come with their cock and bull stories again. Discussing to declare state of emergency? Over what?

That is an aside anyways

@ Emperoh

The ward elections remaining hold 18,000 registered voters, so there is more than enough room for manoeuvrings by PDP.

With this 'indefinite' postponement of the elections in those wards, who knows what is going to happen? There are rumours of the electoral officer in charge refusing to declare doctored results. If INEC is making a shambles of this single election, imagine what will happen all over the country in the next general elections?

That man needs to be removed at all costs - he is causing too much mayhem.

Iwu's removal is water off a duck's back.

Yet another Pdp's lackey will be installed and we are back to square one.

The whole political system is incredibly shackled by too much of power in the centre.

As long as PDP and this jeun s'apo politicians reign supreme,this political labyrinth will continue.

Imagine OBJ having a say as per SA's nationwide election and his party can't stage a near-perfect election in a state.

It is A SHAME REALLY
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by tonio2: 6:49am On Apr 28, 2009
Shame on INEC shame on PDP shame on Yaradua, sometimes i feel like weeping for this country does it mean that INEC and the Nigerian Police with all their assumed preparation and noise cannot hold a credible election in 64 wards and 200,000 people. This was the same INEC that said they are more than capable of holding elections in 36 states.
I thot that within hours the results would have been announced beyond doubt and complaints by any party, Alas how wrong i was, the REC is sick, the remaining elections will be held indefinitely, these pple think they are fooling NIgerians but it only shows how foolish they actually are, God help Nigeria, as 4 me, i've given up!!!!!!!
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by blacksta(m): 7:27am On Apr 28, 2009
toni o.:

Shame on INEC shame on PDP shame on Yaradua, sometimes i feel like weeping for this country does it mean that INEC and the Nigerian Police with all their assumed preparation and noise cannot hold a credible election in 64 wards and 200,000 people. This was the same INEC that said they are more than capable of holding elections in 36 states.
I thot that within hours the results would have been announced beyond doubt and complaints by any party, Alas how wrong i was, the REC is sick, the remaining elections will be held indefinitely, these pple think they are fooling NIgerians but it only shows how foolish they actually are, God help Nigeria, as 4 me, i've given up!!!!!!!

please dont waste your tears - for Nigeria to get back some underlying factor needs to be corrected. it looks like people have high expectations from a crooked bunch. which is sad .
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 8:04am On Apr 28, 2009
Breaking News

PDP claims 15,939 votes for Ido/Osi, demands release of rerun election results from INEC.
The Beginning Of A Civil War. . .
The Broom Revolution Cannot Be Short Changed or Stopped.

http://twitter.com/ekitirr
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by dammiecool(m): 8:15am On Apr 28, 2009
what about a coup
cos dats d only way 2 clear all dis nonesense,yar adua cant achieve anythin
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by fyneguy: 8:17am On Apr 28, 2009
Here's PDP's plan:

If PDP doesnt get sufficient votes from Oye-Ekiti to win the election, they will still use the fabricated votes from Ido-Osi. However, if Oye-Ekiti gives them the votes, they will resort to the actual votes in Ido-osi.

What options are available for the AC?

A. Make sure there's low turn out of voters from Oye-Ekiti. There are 18,000 registered voters but ensure the total votes do not exceed

B. In the event that PDP wins Oye-Ekiti, make sure it's marginal

C. Make sure you win at Oye Ekiti.

PDP may use Ido-osi fabricated votes to instal Oni pending the determination of the case (you definitely will go to the tribunal again and the appeal court)
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by fyneguy: 8:26am On Apr 28, 2009
AC should demand the release of Ido-Osi results before Oye-Ekiti election, to prevent ''election fixing'' grin
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by generalzango(m): 8:48am On Apr 28, 2009
Kayode Fayemi has been proven to be good & i pray he SWEEPS the UMBRELLA away from Great Ekiti. Ameen.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by IFELEKE(m): 9:29am On Apr 28, 2009
fyneguy:

AC should demand the release of Ido-Osi results before Oye-Ekiti election, to prevent ''election fixing'' grin
On Ido Osi,The A.C is asking the INEC to declare result in the wards collated and duly signed by INEC officials.The INEC Commissioner is presently in agreement with that,Quoting her:
Mrs Adebayo had told Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA) chairman Dr Samuel Omoyeni that she was hale and hearty. She spoke of tremendous pressure on her to declare false results, adding that she had told Iwu she could not do so.

"I’m a Christian; I can’t work against my conscience," Mrs Adebayo said.

A source close to Mrs Adebayo’s family, who begged not to be quoted because of the sensitivity of the matter, said last night that she is fit.

Said the source: "She gave Iwu two conditions – she will either conclude the election or they should take the results she has (the ones declared). The undeclared, including Ido/Osi, they are free to do whatever they like with them.

"She insisted that as a Christian, she won’t act against her conscience because she is comfortable. She took the job because she didn’t want to be idle and she would like to serve Nigeria. She said there was pressure on her to take money, which she rejected, saying: ‘What money? At what age?"

The source said Mrs Adebayo only collated results from three wards in Ido-Osi.

"When results were brought in from the eight remaining wards, people resisted because they were unsigned by party agents. The results were then taken to a private residence for collation.

"By law, results can only be collated in INEC designated premises. Since the collation was not done in INEC’s premises, the results, by law, are therefore null and void," the source quoted the REC as saying.

The source added that Mrs Adebayo went to Oye to conduct election," but on getting there, there was violence".

"Going by Prof. Iwu’s instruction that wherever there is violence, election should be cancelled, she cancelled the Oye election. Since she acted within her powers there cannot be any election in Oye again," the source said.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by folem: 9:41am On Apr 28, 2009

http://www.compassnews.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16392:three-ac-thugs-die-in-ekiti-buried-in-lagos&catid=43:news&Itemid=63

As the battle for the governorship seat in Ekiti State continues between the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the Action Congress (AC), some thugs and, politicians, who went from Lagos to participate in the election, were back to base on Sunday, nursing a bloody nose, as they buried three of the casualties of the partisan war.

The Nigerian Compass learnt that the corpse of one of the suspected AC thugs, identified as Baba Sarah, was brought back to Lagos at about 3 a.m on Sunday and buried at 4 p.m later in the day, in his home along the Idimu-Ejigbo Road, near Rolling Stone Hotel.

The slain thug was also identified as a member of the group sent to Ekiti by Egbe-Idimu Local Council Development Area (LCDA) leaders. Five other members of the group were said to have been detained by the police in Ekiti. They include a woman called Iya Poku and two men who both bear the name Tope.

Another was buried in Ikorodu while the third was buried in Gowon Estate, the same day.

There were reports that those mobilised to Ekiti were paid N20,000 each.

The Lagos AC members who narrowly escaped death in Ekiti, after they were allegedly caught in election malpractices, included a council chairman, his deputy, a supervisory councillor and a councillor representing Isheri Ward ‘A’.

Reports say about six persons were killed and many others seriously wounded.

A notorious thug on Lagos Island, who disguised as an observer, escaped death by the whiskers as he was said to have beaten a hasty retreat when he was cornered, shooting and wounding some people in the process.

Efforts to get comments from the council chairman, Wahab Bello, and his deputy, Kunle Sanyaolu, proved abortive.

At the Aso Rock Villa yesterday, President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua summoned a crucial meeting on the Ekiti rerun.

At the talks were Senate President, David Mark, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, the National SecurityAdviser, Sarki Muktar, Police Inspector-General, Mike Okiro and the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Maurice Iwu.

At the meeting which lasted an hour, Iwu was directed to fix a definite date for the rerun in Oye Local Government.

Okiro was also directed to provide adequate security.

Meanwhile, the police said yesterday that all political thugs arrested during the election would be prosecuted in accordance with the Electoral Act.

Police spokesman, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Emmanuel Ojukwu, who commented on the development yesterday, said: “Whoever is arrested will be treated in accordance with the Electoral Act.”

It was gathered that there was serious pressure on the Police Force to release the suspects because most of them are from Lagos.

Iwu, had earlier declared, at a press conference in Abuja yesterday: “It is impossible for the commission to declare the winner of the rerun until election in the remaining two wards in Oye Local Government Area is conducted with result obtained.”

Votes being expected from the remaining two wards, according to Iwu, “are in the neighbourhood of 18,000, going by the number of registered voters.”

Iwu categorically stated that election in the two wards was postponed “because of security situation, safety of the people and in the interest of the future of the country.”

He declared that the new date for the conduct of the election in the remaining two wards would be determined after the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Mrs Ayoka Adebayo, must have sent in her report on the election to the headquarters in Abuja.

Mrs Adebayo, according to Iwu, is currently ill, having broken down in the course of the rerun election conducted in 61 wards on Saturday.

Iwu pointed out that going by the scores of the candidates in the rerun election; the two leading contenders (Segun Oni of the PDP and Kayode Fayemi of AC) “are running neck to neck”.

His words: “Now, going by the scores of the candidates in the election, the two leading contenders are running neck to neck. The expected votes in the remaining local government area of Oye is in the neighbourhood of 18,000, going by the number of registered voters.

“It is impossible for the REC therefore to declare a winner of the governorship election in Ekiti State without conducting the election in the remaining two registration areas (wards) in Oye Local Government Area and obtaining the result.

“It is indeed sad that an election that ought to have been concluded and a winner announced has, once more, been prolonged, due primarily to the recalcitrant conduct of politicians, who seem determined to bug down the electoral system and process in the country at every turn.

“INEC remains resolute in doing the right thing and seeing the process to its conclusive end”.

The INEC Chairman praised the police for the security arrangement they put in place.

Saying that the early stages of the election on Saturday “started very well, was quite impressive and smooth”, Iwu regretted that later on, “serious security situation set in as politicians and their gangs moved to undermine the process”.

One of the observers, Mr. Timothy Ihemadu, who also spoke at the press conference addressed by Iwu, described the rerun as a “very unique election”.

Ihemadu was, however, not impressed with the security arrangement.

Also, a Director of INEC, Mr. Ademola Johnson, who participated in the conduct of the election, narrated how he and other members of his team escaped from being lynched by thugs “while performing our assignment.”

Also in Abuja, the National Working Committee (NWC) of the PDP has condemned ‘the desperado tactics’ applied by the AC in Ekiti.

The party’s National Publicity Secretary, Prof. Rufai Ahmed Alkali, said: “We have been following the Ekiti State rerun with deep concern. Particularly, we wish to condemn in totality the various acts of violence that AC is unleashing on the peace-loving people of Ekiti State. We had thought that as true democrats, they will heed the call of Mr. President to avoid anything that will disrupt peace and tranquillity in Ekiti State. Unfortunately, in their desperate attempt to win this election at all cost, they have thrown caution to the wind.”

He called on AC members to urgently retrace their steps and provide an enabling environment for the conclusion of the outstanding election in the two wards in Oye Local Government.

“The party wishes to commend INEC and all the security agencies for demonstrating maturity in this rather very difficult task.

“PDP commends all our members and supporters in Ekiti State, who, despite all threats and harassments, have remained resolute in the defence of our cause. We urge them to remain calm and vigilant to ensure that the election in the remaining two wards is conducted peacefully.

“We wish to assure all our people that we are confident Governor Segun Oni will return to the Government House, God willing”, he said.

Also, the South-West chairman of the party, Alhaji Tajudeen Oladipo, insisted that the results in the 61 wards already conducted must be released immediately by INEC.

There was drama in Ado-Ekiti yesterday as PDP supporters trooped to the streets to jubilate their imminent victory. Their AC counterparts also did same.

But, unlike the charged atmosphere on Sunday, the jubilation yesterday was peaceful.

After the jubilation, accusations and counter accusations started with PDP members accusing Adebayo of being used by the AC to scuttle the election.

The party supporters asked what was delaying the release of the results when the election had been conducted and result compiled, collated and handed over to INEC for announcement.

According to the results which INEC gave to party agents, duplicate of which was made available to the Nigerian Compass, Oni is leading with about 5,000 votes after deducting the initial lead of the AC.

The party said it would no longer tolerate the “bare-faced and outright provocation of the AC.” Addressing a press conference at the state party secretariat in Ado Ekiti, the Chaiman of the Media and Publicity of Segun Oni Campaign Organisation, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, said: “We want to state unequivocally that the PDP will no longer tolerate the barefaced and outright provocation of the AC. “We have restrained ourselves thus far, not out of cowardice but our determination to ensure that AC’s plan to destroy the election fails to the end.

“As you all are aware, the rerun ordered by the Appeal Court held peacefully in nine out of the 10 Local Government Areas and I am sure none of you is unaware of the fact that AC never wanted the election to hold. This they made clear at several fora before the election and even before the Appeal Court judgement.

“It is inexplicable and untenable that INEC, which conducted the national election and indeed last Saturday’s elections in 61 wards, will now find it impossible to conduct elections in just two wards.

“It is also worrisome that the police, which maintained peace for election that held in the whole country, will now be handicapped to maintain peace in just two wards of one local government.

“We had envisaged this kind of situation and that explained why we called for the deployment of soldiers to maintain peace in the state during the rerun but the AC blackmailed the presidency into rescinding its position on this. Now, have we not been vindicated?”

Adeyeye insisted that the result must be released by INEC “which will only be a mere formality as the results are already in possession of the public”, declaring that the failure of INEC to declare the existing results and conduct the remaining ones is a call to anarchy.

Adeyeye further accused the AC of allegedly loading several BRT buses with armed thugs from Lagos for the election, threatening to match AC’s force with force if the provocation is not stopped forthwith by the police and other security agencies.

He also called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of former Governors Niyi Adebayo, Ayo Fayose and the AC candidate, Fayemi, accusing them of being the brain behind the dastardly act to set the state on fire with the use of thugs.

“It is common knowledge that results of this election is no longer secret in that following the successful conduct of the polls, the results at the polling unit level were duly recorded in form EC8A, which were later collated into form EC8B at the ward level and form EC8C at the local government level. All these were concluded on the election day (i.e. Saturday, April 25, 2009).

“It is also common knowledge that copies of all forms EC8A, EC8B and EC8C were immediately made available to, and are already in the custody of all party agents, SSS, the Police, observers as well as other stakeholders in the state and beyond.

“It may interest you to know that most cell phones now carry the figures and as such, become public knowledge. It is amusing that the AC is now crying wolf over the 15,939 votes scored by the PDP governorship candidate, Engr. Segun Oni, in his home council representing 33.4 per cent out of the registered voters of 47,587.

“In the April 14, 2007 governorship election, Fayemi, in his ward alone, scored 3,022 votes out of the registered 3,852 voters representing a staggering 78.5 per cent to the 34 scored by the PDP.

“It amounts to double standard and high-level deception that AC wants the world to believe that Oni could not have scored as much as 33.4 per cent of the votes in the election held last Saturday in his council when Fayemi polled 78.5 per cent in just his ward in 2007 and the party did not raise a dust. “We therefore call on INEC to release the result without further delay, pending the rerun in Oye local government and also call on INEC to conduct the remaining election in Oye with maximum security to forestall a repeat of last Saturday’s experience which saw AC thugs imported from all parts of the country to scare away PDP voters”, Adeyeye stated.

Also, the state chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), worried by the foot dragging of INEC to declare the result in the remaining four council areas and winner in the rerun, called for caution on the part of the electoral body in order not to set the state on fire.

Rising from its emergency State Administrative Council (SAC) meeting held in Ado-Ekiti yesterday, the Congress expressed displeasure that an election conducted since three days ago has not been declared by the electoral umpire, thereby giving room for crisis in the state.

In a communiqué signed by the state Chairman and Secretary of the NLC, Comrade Joseph Arogundade and Mrs B. Alafiatayo, the Congress stated that the attendant crisis which followed the delay in announcing the result is also a great concern to the SAC.

The union pleaded with INEC to be careful and not set the state on fire through its foot-dragging on the announcement.

“We hereby implore the INEC to release the result of the governorship rerun as demonstrated by the electorates in Ekiti State at the polls on Saturday, April 25, 2009 without further delay and declare the winner to forestall further crisis’.

The Acting Governor, Olatunji Odeyemi, also appealed to the people to remain calm and law-abiding, pending the conclusion of the result.

Odeyemi, while pointing out that Ekiti State was not the only state where rerun had been conducted, called on the people to await further directive from INEC.

Representatives of AC in Rivers and Bayelsa states who monitored the election also called on INEC to announce the remaining results “without further delay.”

Secretary of the group from the two South-South states, Mr Miriki Ebikibina, stated in a statement that “the tactical delay in announcing the result of the election that is 99 per cent concluded is a clear indication that not only the INEC is ineffective but determined to set the state on fire.”

Ekiti State AC supporters also trooped to the street in a peaceful protest, calling on INEC to declare Fayemi the winner. Led by the state chairman, Mr Jide Awe, they walked from the popular Fajuyi Park Road through Okeyinmi and ended at the party secretariat on Ado-Ikere road.

The development forced many civil servants and traders to hurriedly close their offices and shops.

Awe said the protest was necessitated by INEC’s delay to announce the remaining results.

Also speaking in Ado-Ekiti yesterday, Fayemi urged INEC to declare him the winner, having fulfilled the required 25 per cent of the two thirds of the local governments.

Speaking with journalists at his Isan-Ekiti private residence, Fayemi said judging by the results collated so far and his outstanding from the Appeal Court ruling, he should be declared the winner without further delay.

He noted that the Electoral Act stipulated that a winner of the governorship election must win 25 per cent of two thirds of the local governments in a state, a condition he said he had fulfilled convincingly.

He maintained that going by the result from the 11 local governments now on ground, “as far as we are concerned, a winner has emerged in accordance with the Electoral Act 2006.

“The election is no longer about Fayemi becoming governor anymore but fulfilling the wishes of the people.”

Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by yicob(m): 10:12am On Apr 28, 2009
This is crazy ! Let the INEC fix another rerun cos this election has lost its credibility.
Re: Update on the Ekiti Rerun Election: Segun Oni (PDP) declared Winner ! by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 28, 2009
these politicians will continue to ride us in this country if we dont stand on our feet and fight them. I think the only people who are trying to resist them are now the people of ekiti state while some  foolish nigerians are busy calling them trouble makers.

we shuold kill these morons, even if some of us die in the act, wat the hell?
these bastards are pushing us to the wall day by day, and what the fukc do we do? we only complain and refuse to fight.

they still our money every day and send their children to havard, cambridge, m i t,etc , and instead of us to linch those their children
we sit down and complain.

they use that fukin asshole called iwu to rig our elactions, what the fuk do we do? we allow the shithead to live another day in order to rig more elections.

somebody professied that nigeria will b great, it will never b great as long as we still have these morons in powew and nigeria continues to do business as it does it today.

i feal bad b cos these people rubish us every day and we are not willing to murder them.

let us go into war with these thugs, let us bomb them, let us use snipers to get the fukc rid of them.
let us roast their children studying abroad.

we shuold never rest until we destroy these mothefking politicians
we shuold get them killed or die trying. people who have nothing to die for do not deserve to live.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Senate Insists, No More Bow And Go For Ministerial Nominees / We’ve Overcome Boko Haram, Buhari Tells Investors / 2 Police Killed,1 Arrested As Anambra Keke Riders Protest Killings, Abductions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.