Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,928 members, 7,835,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers (577 Views)

3 Lagos Senators endorse Fashola's nomination. bad news for the wailers!!! / Complete Names Of 21 Ministerial Nominees Read By Saraki / Buhari’s Ministerial Nominees Revealed- Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by Vicben(m): 11:28am On Oct 07, 2015
The word wail is an English word that can be defined as a prolonged, mournful cry, as in grief or suffering. In the same vein, the word wailers derived from wail, to lovers of music most especially the reggae genre, is associated with the band created by Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer in 1963.

To your utter surprise if you are a keen follower of events unfolding in our polity today you will affirm with me that the word “wailers” without Bob Marley” has indeed re-emerged with a more subtle meaning.

Today in Nigeria, the usage of the word is gaining patronage by a certain group of individuals who have coined it and have developed a penchant in using it to fight a psychological warfare waged against perceived opponents or critics of their political inclinations or ideology.

More fittingly, the term “wailers”, is used to describe the supporters of erstwhile President Goodluck Jonathan, who often find every opportunity to lash out at the shortcomings of this present administration led by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Ardent supporters of the ruling party have therefore found an appealing name to describe or label critics of President Buhari, whom many of his followers have over the years, developed an unassailable perception of his morally upright, highly excellent and managerial skills competence in regards to running the affairs of the country. As much as it is believed that no mortal man is infallible, the “sainthood” of President Buhari in some quarters is never in doubt.

For me as an individual, I would reiterate that I am a staunch supporter of “Change” but there are certain decisions made or actions that will be taken by this government that if within me I feel does not reflect my idea of the change I canvassed for, then it is also an inalienable right for me to voice out my disaffection. It won’t be out of place for you to think my opinion is insignificant but for me I would be very much pleased to make known my stand about certain issues bothering the affairs of governance than staying mute in complicit silence or for the fear of been branded a wailer as the case may be.

It is morally unfair to silence an opposing voice in any democratic milieu. It is said that “no man can please everyone” therefore, no matter what Mr President does, his actions by commission or omission, will be appraised or scrutinized fairly or unjustly by the public. Our concerns should not be about the person or group of persons involved in criticising Mr President in regards to faith, ethnicity and religious inclinations. We are foremost Nigerians; we all have a stake in this enterprise except others feel otherwise.

At this juncture, it might sound so early for me to start “wailing” given the fact that I intentionally restricted myself from commenting about the polity shortly after President Buhari was sworn in; that is not to say there were no significant issues that generated intense bickering about his initial appointments, which some people averred was lopsided in favour of the north and ethnically bias to say the least.

My belief is that he needed the benefit of doubt and ample time to set his house in order to enable him clean the Augean stables in a polity highly infested with the menace of corruption.

Anxiety without a doubt, found prominence in the hearts of many Nigerians that before now were kept in the dark about the formation of a cabinet of ministers as expected of an optimally functioning government. Nigerians kept faith imbibing the virtue of patience as many enthusiastically sought to know the “who and who” incorruptible and Progressive Nigerians that will make Mr President’s list as highly anticipated and hyped.

Yesterday, the first list of ministerial nominees was made public and tongues are already wagging just as my pen is compelled to return from a hiatus away from political commentary. All I can say from this batch unveiled so far is, Mr. President, the long awaited suspense you kept us in was uncalled for.

One would expect to hear a fusion of new names of vibrant technocrats garnishing the list but to say “my church mind”, I am disappointed reading the names of the same old politicians that resurfaced representing the old order.

Once again, I admit it is too early to conclude as a “potential wailer” but with his “opening surprise”, I do feel Mr President should better have another list of names on the second batch that will be more assuaging to the swelling rank of “wailers”, which I may be forced to join soon if his subsequent appointments does not have a semblance of the “change” I canvassed and voted for.

Mr President “abeg no fall our hands!”

Yours,

Concerned Youth.

© Tersoo TeeCube

Follow me on Twitter @teecube_t3rsoo

Instagram @teecube_tersoo

www.teecubethahoodscholar.

Cc: lalasticlala, mods, ishilove
Re: Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by PassingShot(m): 11:32am On Oct 07, 2015
Nice article but I have issues with some of your submissions:

1. There are those who have decided to wail perpetually no matter what the president does. Examples include Barcanista and Chukwudi. They are the "real wailers". So, I advise you not to consider yourself ever becoming a wailer. You're better off as a genuine critic of the government policies and actions you feel are not in line with your expectation.

Yesterday, the first list of ministerial nominees was made public and tongues are already wagging just as my pen is compelled to return from a hiatus away from political commentary. All I can say from this batch unveiled so far is, Mr. President, the long awaited suspense you kept us in was uncalled for.
The mistake many, including some change agents, have made is the false belief that the president was looking for saints and angels as ministers. To be truthful to yourself, on how many occasions did the president say he was using those months to institute a new set of engagement rules, different from what PDP used? I'm sure you know the answer.

Any sincere watcher of the political developments would have long realized that Amaechi, Fashola, Lai Muhammed, Fayemi and a host of others will be made ministers. They stood by him during the difficult campaign period, they did their duties well, and they deserve to reap the rewards of ministerial appointment. Btw, there are technocrats in that list/ Kemi Adeosun, Fayemi, Lai Muhammed and a host of others are technocrats in their chosen field.

The only criticism I accept so far on the list is the size. It should have been complete.

3. Like you say, it's too early to become a wailer. In fact, it's not necessary to be one but a genuine critic who bases his criticism on facts and figures and not on sentiment.

Enough said already.

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by amnesty7: 11:39am On Oct 07, 2015
An apologetic piece from a masked wailer. Nevertheless, by their wailing, ye shall know them wink
Re: Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by WHOcarex: 11:43am On Oct 07, 2015
Summary please. Because i'm not ready to read beautiful nonsense. *no offence*
Re: Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by jaymejate: 11:50am On Oct 07, 2015
85% of Nigeria are wailing indeed.
Wrong people on the list, and we go de blame Nigeria universities for admission list.
Now, who among these ministers made the cut off mark for minister?

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by ionsman: 11:54am On Oct 07, 2015
O.p you made some salient points but I want to let you know that reasoning with the wailers is a complete waste of time.

When Obj, Yar'adua and Gej were presidents, I never liked them mainly because of their party affiliation. There were policies they implemented that I applauded, there were others I frowned at. Thats how it is meant to be.

But the wailers have made it a point of duty to castigate whatever this government does whether good or bad. Fine, not all the things buhari has done are perfect. That's why he's a human after all.

You don't expect me to take anyone who criticises the the government's policies whether good or bad serious.
They complain over everything buhari does and it's down to just one reason and it's a fact.

They still haven't come to terms with the fact that their demi-god lost the march 28 elections.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministerial Nominees: Making A Case For The Wailers by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:07pm On Oct 07, 2015
OP May God bless you! The truth is that Buhari has no clue about leading Nigeria. His ministerial list didn't come as a surprise ro patriots like some of us. It is not about party, it is about bringing back crooks into positions of authority.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Will Not Interfere With Saraki’s Tribunal After Meeting With NASS / Ex-lcda Chairman Buys European Club / Nairaland End Of The Year Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.