Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,932 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report (2091 Views)

Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. / Is Gej's Regime The Worst In Nigeria's History? - Please Vote / Nigeria, 4th Fastest Growing Economy In The World- Uk Govt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by georgecso(m): 12:56pm On Apr 24, 2009
Nigeria has the fourth worst medical system in the world.
24 Apr 2009 Daily trust

Opinion

We are very near to getting a gold medal. Sleeping Giant of Africa

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2008/may/22/editorial-22-05-2008-001.htm
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ikeyman00(m): 1:48pm On Apr 24, 2009
yes kano-lagos rail way

when health and safety issues of the masses are still yin

pot-belly roads nko

stupid morons
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by MrCrackles(m): 9:33am On Apr 25, 2009
I am not surprised!
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 9:46am On Apr 25, 2009
georgecso:

Nigeria has the fourth worst medical system in the world.
24 Apr 2009 Daily trust

Opinion

We are very near to getting a gold medal. Sleeping Giant of Africa

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2008/may/22/editorial-22-05-2008-001.htm

It is all lies and you cannot criticise us or state the obvious.
[I'm using the logic of people around here!]
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by philip0906(m): 9:50am On Apr 25, 2009
we r aiming for gold and notin less!NOT EVEN THE DEVIL WILL STOP US FROM BEING THE WORST.forward ever bacward neva grin
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tombola: 9:53am On Apr 25, 2009
@Poster

What is your problem distorting stories? A story carried May 22, 2008, you are saying it is a story of April 24 2009?

What is the matter with you? Where in the report is it stated that it is a WHO report?

Not only are Nigerians illetrates, they are fools as well - well, I am not surprised, even the so called travelled fols, they seem to be the worse off for it, look at the comments that followed the wrong report - do they even read? if they read, do they understand?
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 10:13am On Apr 25, 2009
tombola:

@Poster

What is your problem distorting stories? A story carried May 22, 2008, you are saying it is a story of April 24 2009?

What is the matter with you? Where in the report is it stated that it is a WHO report?

Not only are Nigerians illetrates, they are fools as well - well, I am not surprised, even the so called travelled fols, they seem to be the worse off for it, look at the comments that followed the wrong report - do they even read? if they read, do they understand?

He did not distort the story like you are claiming. Yes he made and error of adding "WHO" to the title, but to call it a distortion is an overstatement. Yes the report may have been published in 2008, are you however telling me those points are STILL not valid, or Nigeria have made leaps and bounds since then in those areas concerned?

As for your second paragraph, you are quite funny in an unfunny way if you know what I mean. You come across as bitter with your unnecessary attacks here. The thing is your own post is riddled with errors too, which I already highlighted and it just makes your second paragraph here all ironic to be honest.

I keep asking you, what is wrong with criticizing your beloved nation? It appears that few of your types get overworked about this.

For the record, an illiterate is someone who cannot read or write, so by the very definition of it no one is an illiterate around here. smiley And try and get the spelling right, before you use it next time. grin
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by Horus(m): 11:24am On Apr 25, 2009
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by georgecso(m): 11:39am On Apr 25, 2009
@ Tombola

I am very sure of what I posted here and pls read this and tell me am wrong again brothers

Nigeria 4th worst in medical system -WHO
Written by Kehinde Akinyemi, Abeokuta   
Friday, 24 April 2009

Nigeria has the fourth worst medical system in the world, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said. The National President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Dr. Prosper Igboeli disclosed this yesterday, in Abeokuta.

His disclosure is coming on the heels of the charge by former Head of State, retired Gen. Ibrahim Babangida to the Federal Government to give the health sector more attention.  The NMA President who made the disclosure at the opening of the 2009 Annual General Scientific conference and delegates meeting of the association in Abeokuta  also lamented that government and professionals had neglected the care of the elderly and disabled.

Igboeli said the country’s medical system continued to fail mainly due to ineffective implementation of health care policies, mal-distribution of health workers, limited funding and poor infrastructure, a development which according to him placed the country as the fourth worst medical system in the world.  He said that the “gruesome report calls for a reflection on our role as doctors in the health sector. There is great need to restructure our primary, secondary and tertiary levels of care. It calls for better and increased participation of physicians in developing health care reforms that are practicable and in line with Millennium Goals (MDG).”

The NMA leader also berated the attention given to doctors in the country by many state governments, noting, “many doctors in the public health system face daunting working conditions, poverty-level wages and poor conditions of services, unsupportive management, insufficient social recognition and weak career development”.

In his opening remarks, the former Head of State noted that providing more human resources and equipment would go a long way in achieving the set goals of the crucial sector.

Babangida, who was the chairman of the occasion but was represented by the former military administrator of Lagos state, Raji Rasaki also used the occasion to  task medical professionals to ensure that only qualified members are allowed to practice in order to guarantee high professionalism.   

Source: http://www.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8516&Itemid=19
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 12:00pm On Apr 25, 2009
georgecso

I have no problem with you. It is Tombola that seems to have one. smiley

In fairness, I don't think your first link was from WHO as stated in your title. But who do not make mistake?
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by georgecso(m): 12:07pm On Apr 25, 2009
@ ElRazur

Affirmative Bro. It was a mistake
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tpiah: 12:11pm On Apr 25, 2009
tombola:

@Poster

to many of our "educated" Nigerians, reading and understanding are uneccessary if the material doesnt say what they want to hear.

Travelling hasnt seemed to upgrade our thinking faculty. If any thing, more like the other way round, I'm sorry to say.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tombola: 12:19pm On Apr 25, 2009
Tpiah - why not be sorry for yourself miserable self first?
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by georgecso(m): 12:25pm On Apr 25, 2009
@ tombola

Bros cool down now and lets focus on the topic. We should refrain from insult pls.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tpiah: 12:27pm On Apr 25, 2009
tombola:

abeg cool down- we're saying the same thing.

I already included myself by saying "our". After all, if I'm called a 419er because my Nigerian brethren are heavily into scamming and shady deals, then why wont I be included when we're talking of other things.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 12:28pm On Apr 25, 2009
tpiah:

to many of our "educated" Nigerians, reading and understanding are uneccessary if the material doesnt say what they want to hear.

Travelling hasnt seemed to upgrade our thinking faculty. If any thing, more like the other way round, I'm sorry to say.

Please provide a proof of this instead of taking cheap shots. smiley There isn't anything that wasn't understood from the post. He made a mistake and everyone makes mistakes so what is the problem?

I think folks like you result to taking cheap shot out of your own bitterness.  smiley

tombola:

Again you by passed all the proper questions and resulted to bickering. Jeez. You are good.

georgecso:

@ tombola

Bros cool down now and lets focus on the topic. We should refrain from insult pls.

No need to tell him that! Isn't it obvious that people around here would result to bickering et a,l once they lose a debate or are grasping for points.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tpiah: 12:29pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

Please provide a proof of this instead of taking cheap shots. smiley There isn't anything that wasn't understood from the post. He made a mistake and everyone makes mistakes so what is the problem?

I think folks like you result to taking cheap shot out of your own bitterness.  smiley

no further proof is needed besides nairaland posts.

This thread alone is enough evidence.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by georgecso(m): 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2009
Tpiah has made himself clear. Pls lets get back, focus on the topic and lets  make meaningful contributions abeg
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tpiah: 12:32pm On Apr 25, 2009
from article

India has the highest number of children without adequate care put at 67 million while Nigeria is second with 16 million.

what do these countries have in common? High population?

In one of the reports tagged, “Basic Health Care Report Card,” it said that by the sheer population of Nigeria, the country accounted for 10 percent of the number of these deaths globally.

A more damning report on Nigeria was contained in its other report tagged, “World Mothers’ Report,” in which Nigeria was ranked 70 out of 71 less developed countries as the worst places to be a mother.

why is Nigeria one of the worst places to be a mother? The women are too confrontational due to what exactly? Polygamy and second class status?
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by debosky(m): 12:39pm On Apr 25, 2009
@ tpia

It is one of the worst places because of the criminally high maternal mortality rate. More women die during childbirth or soon afterward in Nigeria (relative to our population) more than anywhere else.

Sadly this is not new - the question is, how are we as a country (individuals and the government) trying to improve things? Are we making demands on the government to see a change in this or are we so used to the situation that we've lost the will to do anything about it? undecided
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tombola: 12:42pm On Apr 25, 2009
@Tpia

I read the "our thinking faculty" as "your thinking faculty" na im make me spark like matches.

Honestly, I hate people who pick on the negative side of things and blow it like no man business - and these same people are Nigerians, when you talk, they say you are a government apologist and you are pained because you cant travel out of Nigeria. Nigeria must be a living hell from the way things are said here, but yet, millions live and are happy with their life.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 12:44pm On Apr 25, 2009
tpiah:

from article

what do these countries have in common? High population?

May be you should read the article again! I hate to keep pointing the obvious, but not only do we have high population, but we have inadequate infrastructure to cater for BASIC HEALTH CARE as stated in the article. It do not take a genius to figure out the correlation between both.

I work in the health sector, and believe me on this one, we as a nation are way behind. smiley

tpiah:

why is Nigeria one of the worst places to be a mother? The women are too confrontational due to what exactly? Polygamy and second class status?

Do you know what services are provided to Mothers and expectant mothers? How many Ante-natal clinics are fully equipped in Nigeria? Or how many Post-natal experts do we have?  Again see above, we do not have the right facilities to provide these things, hence why on comparison to all other nations of the world, Nigeria is one of the worst places. Immunization is still at its infancy, Infancy death is still high, Malnourishment is still ever present etc. it is a fair point to say Nigeria is one of the worst places to be a mum.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 12:46pm On Apr 25, 2009
Speaking of incompetency, I wonder if anyone here would defend this [Yeah kinda related to the debate at hand]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8017173.stm
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tombola: 12:51pm On Apr 25, 2009
This man ElRazur is a laboratory scientist, yet, he claims his profession is not in Nigeria - who says so, back in my youth service days, I had friends who do exactly what you said you do, and what did they train as, they trained as laboratory scientists -

When last have you visited any hospital in Nigeria, or maybe the ones you visited are the ones in the rural places where you are opportuned to live b4 you travel? Or you want to tell me that all hospitals or clinics where you are have the same equipment and diagnotic tools as others? We know Nigeria is not as good, you dont need a sooth sayer to tell us this - what are you as a person doing to remedy the situation, apart from claiming your field is not developed in Nigeria, what else are u doing about it? Even there are space scientists in Nigeria, contributing to reserarch and co, talkless of a mere lab scientist.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by dnex(m): 12:58pm On Apr 25, 2009
Ehen, dem don come again. Who has started spreading these lies again? India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Somalia, Congo, Haiti, Pakistan, Chad and Niger all have better Healthcare than Nigeria? I hail O! Who are these people that just breathe out statistics from thin air?
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tombola: 1:02pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazor

You are in the medical field - if you are to assume the role of Minister of Health today, please let us know what you will do to make our health facilities one of the best in the world, i.e. commensurate with what you have seen where you live,, I ask you to do this because you seem to be very knowledgeable in the filed you fould yourself - apart from lining your pockets like the diasporians who came home to become Ministers and governors did, what will you do, please, this is a serious issue.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 1:10pm On Apr 25, 2009
tombola:

This man ElRazur is a laboratory scientist, yet, he claims his profession is not in Nigeria - who says so, back in my youth service days, I had friends who do exactly what you said you do, and what did they train as, they trained as laboratory scientists -

You know it is all good and well to make claims of what you do not know about. smiley You know there is a different between what I am doing and what is been taught in Nigerian schools? I think you should do a bit of research and you will see how far off the mark you are. smiley

tombola:

When last have you visited any hospital in Nigeria, or maybe the ones you visited are the ones in the rural places where you are opportuned to live b4 you travel? Or you want to tell me that all hospitals or clinics where you are have the same equipment and diagnotic tools as others? We know Nigeria is not as good, you dont need a sooth sayer to tell us this - what are you as a person doing to remedy the situation, apart from claiming your field is not developed in Nigeria, what else are u doing about it? Even there are space scientists in Nigeria, contributing to reserarch and co, talkless of a mere lab scientist.

I visited LUTH and a few other places. I even have newphews who works as Doctors and Dentist in these places. smiley and for the record, I was in Nigeria less than 9months ago. smiley

See you keep making untrue claims. Yes hospitals here have a standard. That is why it is called the NHS [National Health Service] and as such, there is a minimum standards to be expected.

I am not making claims like you think, it is a well known fact that my field is not developed in Nigeria. Your problem is that you seem to think simply because you are back home, means everyone else should be. Space scientist may be back home, so are doctors and engineers. However, do they have what it takes to competes on a world stage? I rest my case. Look dude, I do not have the Magic pill to solve all the problem so asking "what have you done" is irrelevant. I am not about to put my training and expertise into an area that is severely lacking back home.

If you really know what Biomedical scientists do, perhaps you wouldn't have labelled it as "mere lab scientist", what an ignorant thing to say. **shakes head** I suggest you really do your research.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 1:18pm On Apr 25, 2009
dnex:

Ehen, dem don come again. Who has started spreading these lies again? India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Somalia, Congo, Haiti, Pakistan, Chad and Niger all have better Healthcare than Nigeria? I hail O! Who are these people that just breathe out statistics from thin air?

From research, from actually visiting what we have and comparing it with other nations of the world. By reading reports made by individuals working in these areas etc. smiley

tombola:

ElRazor

You are in the medical field - if you are to assume the role of Minister of Health today, please let us know what you will do to make our health facilities one of the best in the world, i.e. commensurate with what you have seen where you live,, I ask you to do this because you seem to be very knowledgeable in the filed you fould yourself - apart from lining your pockets like the diasporians who came home to become Ministers and governors did, what will you do, please, this is a serious issue.

I am not a politician. My work is to save lives and as a result, I wouldn't want to take up a post as one am afraid. smiley

From my view, what we need is a complete overhaul of how our health care works. We need to look at the problems we face and deal with it, instead of trying to compete as one of the best in the world. If we look at each problems and provide a solution that actually solves it, then over time we may be able to draw a model that will work for us.

We need to have a few things in place - for example Record keeping, training the right people for the job, letting people have hands on experience etc.

To illustrate my point here. My nephew who is a dentist is one of the best in his class, when he came here about three month ago for an exchange programme with University of Newcastle he was all arrogant and thinking he knows everything. Once he went for his programme, he was blown away and see how things are actually done here. He was forced to admit that Nigeria have a long way to go.

You see, it would be hard for me to even convince anyone her, unless people are made to see things themselves. Hence why I said people should be trained to have actual hands on experience.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tombola: 1:24pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRufai

You have just told me you dont have a solution for the problem, ok, I hear you, so, next person to talk. bye bye, El Rufai.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by ElRazur: 1:32pm On Apr 25, 2009
tombola:

ElRufai

You have just told me you dont have a solution for the problem, ok, I hear you, so, next person to talk. bye bye, El Rufai.

It makes no sense. You want me to offer a solution as minister of health when am not one? Here, please tell me who you would make a Manual differential on a sample. smiley

I don't know why you guys resolve to acting childish in a heat of a debate. Calling me ElRufai means what exactly? Is it supposed to make me cry? lol.
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by Kobojunkie: 3:00pm On Apr 25, 2009
philip0906

Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report
« #4 on: Today at 09:50:50 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we r aiming for gold and notin less!NOT EVEN THE DEVIL WILL STOP US FROM BEING THE WORST.forward ever bacward neva 

The award for least CYNICAL post on here ( best positive spin on the story) goes to @philip0906

This is a TRUE PATRIOT people. . . . bow to the master, I tell ya! Bow!!!

Roflmao!!! omgosh!!! roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria 4th Worst In Medical System - Who Report by tpiah: 4:26pm On Apr 25, 2009
Some Nigerians like to think the term "third world country" is a racist classification designed to embarass them in front of their foreign crushes.

That's why you see so many crying to high heavens about the state of Nigeria, because they want first world standards in a third world country, when even oyibos who move out of their own places to the same countries, will make necessary adjustments to their situation, and work on individually improving their environment.

Will this post make sense to the average Nairalander? 

No.

and lets not forget the ever present visa issue- if Nigeria is tethering on the edge of collapse, it makes it easier to claim asylum elsewhere.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos State Police Commissioner Issued Fake Mot - News / Natural Disasters Common, But Only Man-made Disasters In Nigeria / Stricly 2 Words Patrick Obahiagbon Would Call Gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.