Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Excuses Christian Use To Cover Up Bad Behaviors. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Excuses Christian Use To Cover Up Bad Behaviors. (736 Views)

Should A Christian Use Horoscope And Zodiac Signs? / 7 Excuses People Give For Skipping Sunday Services / Should A Christian Use A Credit Card? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excuses Christian Use To Cover Up Bad Behaviors. by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 11, 2015
There are no good excuses for Christians' Bad Behavior. We all misbehave from time to time. We all make mistakes and use poor judgement. We speak harshly to others. It happens. When we do it, we need to actually say, "I'm sorry." However, too often we hear excuses that Christians use for bad behavior. Here are some common ones to avoid:

I'll Be Forgiven

One of the biggest excuses for Christians' bad behavior is the idea that God forgives our sins.He does. We know this. However, just because God can forgive you doesn't mean we can go off willy-nilly doing anything we please. There are always consequences for our bad behavior, especially when it involves a willful knowing that it goes against God's word and desires for our lives. Sure, there are honest mistakes, and there are times we lose control and give into temptations, but we should always strive to be better.

I'm Not Perfect

You're not perfect. Neither am I. We make mistakes, and we can be forgiven for our mistakes.

Yet it's infuriating when someone tells us that they are acting poorly because they're not perfect. Not being perfect doesn't excuse bad behavior. Not being perfect means we should strive for that perfection. We should strive to be more godly. We should want to be more like Jesus in our lives. Using the imperfection excuse also keeps us from even trying to be better.

But the Bible Says It's So

There are plenty of things in the Bible that people choose to ignore. We know we should honor our parents, but sometimes we don't

We know that we shouldn't covet what our friends have, but we do. We know we shouldn't steal, but some of us have. It's okay to point out bad behavior, or what we as Christians believe is something wrong, but it's not okay to do it in a judgmental or unloving way. It's also not okay to close your mind to other's opinions so you can have an honest and thoughtful discussion. For instance, you may be a Christian that believes homosexuality is a sin, but you may be talking to someone who belongs to a denomination that does not. You have two different interpretations of scripture. It's not okay for either of you to condemn the other side. God will take care of the judgement. It's our job to love and guide. Using the Bible as an excuse for bad behavior toward others is not biblical at all.

It's Not Illegal

There are some things that the Bible just isn't clear about. Not everything in our daily lives is laid out in the Bible. The Word is meant to guide us in our decisions. However, some people live by whether or not their behavior is legal or illegal or follows a commandment literally or does not. However, just because something is not illegal doesn't mean it's good for us. Plenty of adults smoke. It doesn't mean we all should because it's legal. We have to weigh out if something is good for us or not. Will it help or hurt us physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Using the "it's not illegal" or "it's not in the Bible" excuse for bad behavior usually doesn't lead us in the best direction.

I'm Treating Them Like They Treated Me

The Golden Rule to treat others as we wish to be treated is one each of us should strive to live by. Jesus clearly tells us to "turn the other cheek" when someone does harm to us. Revenge or retribution are in our nature. Often we'd prefer to live by "eye-for-an-eye" mentality, but Jesus told us something different. We need to learn how to forgive others. It's not easy, because sometimes the hurt runs deep. Yet just because someone treats us badly, we don't have to sink to that level. It's not a good excuse for Christians' bad behavior.

I'm Not in Church

No matter where you are, you should be on your best behavior. Acting one way in church and another way outside of it. I've seen people act one way with their friends from church and their friends who aren't from church. Why the difference? Is it peer pressure? What encourages you to be a better person? Who is the true you? If you're not acting the same around others as you are around people from church, you're living two lives.

No One Can See Me

Just like acting differently in church vs. outside of church shows a dual life and a tepid heart for God, so does acting differently when we're alone. When we avoid cursing or gossiping around others, but we go home and swear like a sailor or read gossip sites online, who are we really serving? No human may be able to see you, but God can. He sees everything. If we're only out to put on a show for people and not demonstrate Godly behavior in from of God, Himself, we're not living right.
Re: Excuses Christian Use To Cover Up Bad Behaviors. by ibrams(m): 11:17am On Oct 11, 2015
lord have mercy on me......
Re: Excuses Christian Use To Cover Up Bad Behaviors. by Ezerbullet(m): 11:50am On Oct 11, 2015
God have mercy on all of us
Re: Excuses Christian Use To Cover Up Bad Behaviors. by Shollyps(m): 12:18pm On Oct 11, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Is Islamic State Following Quran / RCCG 74HOURSPRAISE Is On Going! / Photos (the Pastor Who Is Too Anointed To Walk On Bare Floor)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.