Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Why The Division? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Division? (1728 Views)

Mbaka Calls For Division Of Nig; Says He Fears No Arrest (Old VIDEO) / Jonathan Creates Maiduguri-based Army Division For Boko Haram / Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Division? by ElRazur: 3:43pm On Apr 25, 2009
I recently just started posting here, and from what I can see there appears to be some sort of division here. The divide is between people who resides primarily in Nigeria and people who resides in other parts of the world.

From where I stand, surely we all love Nigeria the same way and we all want the same thing - A better Nigeria. Why can we not get along in a debate without reminding ourselves than some live home and some are abroad? Or Is it not possible to actually debate on an issue for what it is?

Or is it just human nature that is taking over every now and then, that we see the constant need to bring in some sort of division reminder in almost all debate?

For me, I respect the opinions of those back home, and I wonder if they would respect the opinions of those who aren't home? I think a few of us get over-worked for nothing when people who have had a wider exposure points out the obvious flaw in the way certain things are done in Nigeria. Surely, this is only a good thing? As much as folks back home may not realise, it hurts people abroad to see how things work efficiently in some other areas of the world but our very own! So if these people are to point these flaws out, it is in a way an indirect way of showing how much they love their home nation and want it to achieve such status they have seen elsewhere!

I believe that Nigeria as a whole have potentials and we just need to let go of something and bring about new changes. We need to do away with old ways and keep some of our aspects that have been proven to work positively. One of the things that needs to go is the constant need to create a division amongst ourselves.

I suppose this thread is to gauge the views of people here as to why the constant division mentality amongst us.

smiley
Re: Why The Division? by blacksta(m): 3:47pm On Apr 25, 2009
Some argue that it may just boil down to jealousy, but i hope the some are wrong
Re: Why The Division? by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On Apr 25, 2009
I believe it is simply that many can not stand opposing views of any kind. This is not just on nairaland and it is certainly a part of the reason why some of the people living in Nigeria today can not seem to agree that it is time to change things. You go out to any gathering where you have Nigerians and try to do the same, you will note it almost immediately.
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 4:03pm On Apr 25, 2009
blacksta:

Some argue that it may just boil down to jealousy, but i hope the some are wrong

I would like to think so too, however there are more evidence from people's personal experience to suggest it more of jealousy that is probably born out of bitterness. [Bitterness brought about by the state of things in their own life].

Kobojunkie:

I believe it is simply that many can not stand opposing views of any kind. This is not just on nairaland and it is certainly a part of the reason why the people living in Nigeria today can not seem to agree that it is time to change things. You go out to any gathering where you have Nigerians and try to do the same, you will note it almost immediately.

You have a point there, at the risk of getting accused of siding with you. It would be nice to actually have a worthy contribution from people who are home. I believe those who are have posted so far do not resides at home [Naija].
Re: Why The Division? by noetic(m): 4:16pm On Apr 25, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I believe it is simply that many can not stand opposing views of any kind. This is not just on nairaland and it is certainly a part of the reason why the people living in Nigeria today can not seem to agree that it is time to change things. You go out to any gathering where you have Nigerians and try to do the same, you will note it almost immediately.
considering that ego is always a factor with the average nigerian, home or abroad, u have made no point.

what makes u think those at home are not dying for change? how they have been going about is another issue entirely.
but its not about right or wrong like u always tend to postulate, its more about objective revolution where everyone is carried along.

why should they listen to u, when u readily remind them of their limitations (at being at home) and lack of exposure?
Re: Why The Division? by tpiah: 4:19pm On Apr 25, 2009
OP

this isnt rocket science.

All you have to do is go through people's past posts and draw your conclusions from there, not from what you "heard".
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 4:20pm On Apr 25, 2009
noetic

I personally feel some of our people are not ready for a change. Why do we keep allowing people who are incompetent to run certain aspects our nation? If After 40years, we do not have basic things like continuous supply of water, electricity and affordable housing, Perhaps we really do not want a change.

It is well known that people just tend to keep quiet and get on it with. That is a killing attitude and makes people who are incompetent to have the upper hand. My two cents.
Re: Why The Division? by debosky(m): 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2009
The matter is very simple to me - people tend to view your opinions as a function of your environment. In essence, you are perceived to argue or support a particular viewpoint based on your residence. This thinking process is formed over a long time and is hard to shake.

That said, location does have a significant influence on one's views/thinking, but we need to approach arguments with more of an open mind instead of using pre-conceived notions to filter everything we see/hear on nairaland.
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2009
tpiah:

OP

this isnt rocket science.

All you have to do is go through people's past posts and draw your conclusions from there, not from what you "heard".

I am a bit confused with your post. What is not rocket science? What have I heard?

I am only trying to see if we can achieve a sort of neutral ground here, and like I said before here people's view. Surely not wrong in trying to understand what I perceive as a problem, a very common problem.
Re: Why The Division? by tpiah: 4:31pm On Apr 25, 2009
ElRazur:

I am a bit confused with your post. What is not rocket science? What have I heard?

I am only trying to see if we can achieve a sort of neutral ground here, and like I said before here people's view. Surely not wrong in trying to understand what I perceive as a problem, a very common problem.

I meant if your question and observation are sincere ones, just spend some time checking out most people's history here in order to get a better understanding of what you say you've noticed.

You cant teach an old dog new tricks- a lot of people simply roll out identical responses to certain issues. Mass produced, as it were.
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 4:35pm On Apr 25, 2009
Oh sorry about that. Makes more sense now. smiley You are right though. I did that to a couple of posters around here, and it helps give an indication like you mentioned.
Re: Why The Division? by Horus(m): 4:44pm On Apr 25, 2009
We all have to do the "Police" to fight division on the forum. The division can come from anybody living in or out of Nigeria. Some are here only to say something bad about Nigerians or Nigeria. Some never have anything nice or positive to say about anyone or anything other than themselves, they overindulge and totally absorb themselves in a negative conversations. But when there is a positive conversation for the progress and the unity of Nigeria they have little or nothing to say.
Re: Why The Division? by blacksta(m): 5:01pm On Apr 25, 2009
tpiah:

I meant if your question and observation are sincere ones, just spend some time checking out most people's history here in order to get a better understanding of what you say you've noticed.

You cant teach an old dog new tricks- a lot of people simply roll out identical responses to certain issues. Mass produced, as it were.

Biggest hypocrite - Elrazur , go and read tpiah's past post unfortunately she has a new account ( you will surely find all your evidence there)
Re: Why The Division? by Kobojunkie: 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I believe it is simply that many can not stand opposing views of any kind. This is not just on nairaland and it is certainly a part of the reason why some of the people living in Nigeria today can not seem to agree that it is time to change things. You go out to any gathering where you have Nigerians and try to do the same, you will note it almost immediately.

To Add,  this is not saying that all Nigerians have an EGO problem, just that those who fuel this divide seem to do so as a result. There are Nigerians who live in Nigeria today who are open to other views and opinions BUT the majority of those who fuel the NIN vs NID divide do so simply because they believe they ought to CONTROL the debate by Lording their view as the most REASONABLE and FACTUAL of all VIEWS!! I sense many of these believe that any opposing view is A DIRECT ATTACK on their belief system.
Re: Why The Division? by bawomolo(m): 6:41pm On Apr 25, 2009
there is no divide. Guys like I_laugh are just more vocal than others.
Re: Why The Division? by SkyBlue1: 6:49pm On Apr 25, 2009
Forgive me, just struggling to see the point of this thread in the politics section. With regards to poster, what is worrying is that while people who live abroad who claim to (as some have put it) have more of an open mind and see things clearer, such are actually falling into thesame label used to tag others. Sometimes it is quite obvious to see why people who live in Nigeria might be irritated with what they read online, the generalisation like some of those displayed on this thread are quite simply patronising. Such behaviour is noticeable in so many posts in varying degrees of subtlety which to be fair might not be done on purpose but perhaps more worrying might be done because people actually possess such views. Such things like starting every post with "the problem with Nigeria", when addressing posters based in Nigeria, as if people in Nigeria are perhaps too stupid to comprehend their own problems. And then things like shouting for people in Nigeria to instigate change as if a majority don't know they need to instigate change.

Anytime I have inciteful discussions with friends in Nigeria I am sometimes ashamed at the level with which (perhaps not as much as some do on Nairaland) I make assumptions which when I introspect on are based on patronising premises. People in Nigeria are not stupid, they are simply in Nigeria. It is easy to shout "the people should revolt" from abroad because then your lives are not on the line. Does that mean such is not necessary or a revolt won't be in order, I do not suggest that, but just making a blatant observation that it is easy to recommend and remedy solutions when you don't have to work towards realising such solutions. At times it seems there is such a level of self indulgence in some postings that you simply have to laugh it off and funny enough that is in no way limited to people who live in Nigeria, infact it is more common with posters outside the country. As @debosky pointed out, environments can be a valid factor in arguements and it is quite silly to assume such is not possible, just as silly as it is to presume everyone in the world is one colour and one ethnic group. The divisions do not come from the things that differentiate but comes from individuals and please let us not pretend as if it is a one way street with regards to the topic.
Re: Why The Division? by yeswecan(m): 7:05pm On Apr 25, 2009
Sky Blue:

just struggling to see the point of this thread in the politics section.
Re: Why The Division? by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Apr 25, 2009
bawomolo:

there is no divide. Guys like I_laugh are just more vocal than others.

Add Dora Akunyili, Fashola, Okiro and some of the other politicians to that List! Some of our politicians are taking advantage of it, thereby fueling that divide in their little way!
Re: Why The Division? by Pataki: 11:39pm On Apr 25, 2009
blacksta:

Biggest hypocrite - Elrazur , go and read tpiah's past post unfortunately she has a new account ( you will surely find all your evidence there)
GBAM!!! grin cheesy grin
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 11:59pm On Apr 25, 2009
Sky blue, the thread wasn't meant as a dig at anyone. My intention was to open people up and perhaps we can reach a common ground? Sorry you don't see the point. smiley
Re: Why The Division? by kosovo(m): 6:10am On Apr 26, 2009
why the division?
lol, every thing is made up of division.
Nigeria Divided into 36 states and FCT.
States Divided int various LGs
Nairaland, divided into various sections,
Your body divided into various parts to perform various different voluntary and involuntary functions.
so why the rants?
Re: Why The Division? by redsun(m): 6:57am On Apr 26, 2009
What is the need for election when the whole concept is wrong, the system from top to bottom is illegitimate .

What nigeria need is re-orientation.we got re-invent ourselves,be systematic,draw the lines and do the maths.
Re: Why The Division? by SapeleGuy: 9:58am On Apr 26, 2009
Elrazur - Great thread. It is clear you are somebody with the capacity for reasoned dialogue. The problem with some of our brothers and sisters whether at home or abroad is their belief in 'who ever shouts loudest wins'. When you don't agree with them, they change gear to war mode.

There is never any need for the foul and abusive language or lack of tolerance displayed by some of our people.
We simply need to take a stand to report abuse and hopefully the moderator can take an objective decision to exclude these people from the discussions. I haven't been on the forum long but I am already disappointed by the lack of respect we have for one another especially on the issue of ethnicity. This applies to Nigerians at home or Abroad.

On a related issue, this term diasporan is also responsible for a lot of division because there was a time when the govt saw them as an elite group who could bring much needed skills home and help 'build the nation'. This was flawed thinking from the start by govt. However, some people still harbour resentment over this issue and the perceived arrogance of the 'overseas brigade'.
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 10:42am On Apr 26, 2009
Hey, thanks SapeleGuy. smiley
Re: Why The Division? by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Apr 26, 2009
SapeleGuy:

On a related issue, this term diasporan is also responsible for a lot of division because there was a time when the govt saw them as an elite group who could bring much needed skills home and help 'build the nation'. This was flawed thinking from the start by govt. However, some people still harbour resentment over this issue and the perceived arrogance of the 'overseas brigade'.

True words!
Re: Why The Division? by Ellyptical: 8:48pm On Apr 26, 2009
Kobo,
Why are u always infuriated when someone's views differ from yours? You always talk about people trying to force their views on you.
Do you have a psychological scar of growing in a home were you were forced to accept views?
Your case is abnormal!
Re: Why The Division? by kosovo(m): 9:24pm On Apr 26, 2009
hopeless!
Re: Why The Division? by Moonstone(f): 9:34pm On Apr 26, 2009
I don't think it's true in its entirety but I kinda agree with some of the points above. The main problem for me is that Nigerians in Naija feel like they have a stronger grasp on things back home and while I may agree about that to a certain extent, it's not always true. Apart from that, they think we have it easier because of our locations and this kinda causes a lot of resentment for our optimism in Nigeria (for those of who have some measure of that).
Re: Why The Division? by lucabrasi(m): 9:39pm On Apr 26, 2009
@poster
a little tip,when starting a thread such as this,or an objective discourse of any kind,it s helpful for you not to pre judge or be partisan before you hear  various contributor's views, to answer your question,ill like to state clearly here that,i belong to the camp you have just highlighted and a capital and unequivocal no,i neither live in nigeria,so im not bitter nor jelouse neither do i have any unresolved issues,

speaking for myself,the reason i totally diasgree with fellow diasporians is clear from most of their posts especially on here,what gives any individual or group of diasporians the right to castigate home based nigerians as not being desirous of real change because they r not protesting or standing in the path of the nigerian police's bullets?

does the fact that the political leadership is messed up give diasporians the right to condemn every single initiative or scheme from govt?
if you are residing abroad in the comfort of your living room,its difficult for you to justify calling for a revolution from average nigerians especially when u wont be there to fight with them but watch on cnn or cbs news when the casualities/body counts are being reported
Re: Why The Division? by Nobody: 12:55am On Apr 27, 2009
Ellyptical:

Kobo,
Why are u always infuriated when someone's views differ from yours? You always talk about people trying to force their views on you.
Do you have a psychological scar of growing in a home were you were forced to accept views?
Your case is abnormal!
Thank heavens someone else has noticed this. now i know i'm not alone
Re: Why The Division? by biina: 1:09am On Apr 27, 2009
I am less interested in where you live.
I do have a problem with people living overseas who feel the silver bullet is Nigeria's unadulterated copying of the policies existing in the nation they reside, losing grasp of the difference in context of application.
I also have a problem with people who live in Nigeria, who can't see beyond the bridge of their nose. They can't seem to make critical assessments of the problem, or proffer credible solutions.
Both sets act like semi-illiterates, who feel they know what they do not know.
Re: Why The Division? by ElRazur: 1:59am On Apr 27, 2009
lucabrasi:

@poster
a little tip,when starting a thread such as this,or an objective discourse of any kind,it s helpful for you not to pre judge or be partisan before you hear  various contributor's views, to answer your question,ill like to state clearly here that,i belong to the camp you have just highlighted and a capital and unequivocal no,i neither live in nigeria,so im not bitter nor jelouse neither do i have any unresolved issues,

Thanks. I however disagree! My approach was a balanced one as far as am concerned. smiley You need to understand that this thread was prompted by a few posts directed at me which I felt had a few tones of bitterness in it.

Also if you noticed, I actually made a post encouraging those who may have a different view from mine to highlight where we may be going wrong. smiley

lucabrasi:

speaking for myself,the reason i totally diasgree with fellow diasporians is clear from most of their posts especially on here,what gives any individual or group of diasporians the right to castigate home based nigerians as not being desirous of real change because they r not protesting or standing in the path of the nigerian police's bullets?

Speaking for myself here, I haven't asked anyone to engage in violence of any kind, so as to potentially allow change. However, what I tend to advocate is that "Evil flourish, when good men stand and watch". From my observation and in my experience, we are more than happy to just adapt to any situation thrown at us, this is as bad as not doing anything in my opinion.
Remember the song by Fela Anikulapo Kuti, where he sang about how "My people sef dey fear to much, "? I guess my view is similar to what he said in that song.

lucabrasi:

does the fact that the political leadership is messed up give diasporians the right to condemn every single initiative or scheme from govt?
if you are residing abroad in the comfort of your living room,its difficult for you to justify calling for a revolution from average nigerians especially when u wont be there to fight with them but watch on cnn or cbs news when the casualities/body counts are being reported

To say people away from home condemns every single initiative is just not true am afraid. smiley I do however beleive that some of our initiatives are poorly planned and sometimes badly executed. A good example of a current one would be the proposal for the Benefit/Welfare system being considered. As a good idea, it can't be knocked. However on closer inspection, one start to see the flaws in it. How many people pays tax in Nigeria? Surely, it would be unfair for the minority paying tax to fund such schemes? Again, one is forced to look at how we are poor at record keeping etc, Then the good idea now starts to look like a very bad idea. This is the way some of us see things and there really nothing wrong in pointing these things out in a debate. smiley

As for sitting in my comfy chair, well let me answer you by quoting my favourite rapper. "I never said I am going to change the world, nor do I set out to do so. However, If I talk about how dirty it is enough, I'm sure someone will come along and clean it up"

smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Talk To The Moderator / Time For OPC, Bakassi To Clean Up Act And Join MEND / Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.