Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,480 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer (6033 Views)

some Cancer Causing Foods You Probably Eat Every Day / This Fruit (soursop) Can Cure Cancer / Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 5:46pm On Apr 26, 2009
Do you eat pumpkins?. Do you know that pumkins kills carcinogens in your body?.  They are very good for your bowels and one of the best food God blessed Nigeria with but a lot of us disregard it may be because of the way some people prepare it. How do you prepare yours?. Do you eat your like that[like me] or do you use any type of sauce to eat them?. I want us to increase the pumpkin eating awareness through sharing our different cultural methods of preparing them so that others that do not eat it may give it a trial.

1 Like

Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by debosky(m): 5:48pm On Apr 26, 2009
What scientific proof do you have that pumpkins 'kill carcinogens'? What do pumpkins contain that cannot be found in other foods? Or is this simply some scheming move by you to sell more pumpkins from your farm? grin
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 6:11pm On Apr 26, 2009
Or is this simply some scheming move by you to sell more pumpkins from your farm?
Abeg no come spoil my business for here. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by Omonla(f): 8:42pm On Apr 26, 2009
Speaking about pumpkins, does anybody know if pumpkin seeds are a good substitute for melon seeds (egusi)? Has anybody ever used ground pumpkin seeds to prepare egusi soup, same way you would use ground melon seeds? Anyone?   smiley

To OP - Don't mean to usurp your thread. Trying to save Nairaland space, in the spirit of going green  grin
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by Hauwa1: 11:26pm On Apr 26, 2009
Alloy, there is this seed my mom used to cook i think it is called Ofin or so. do you know it? is it not from pumpkin?

isn't pumpkin leaf same as Ugwu? who has tasted pumpkin seed before?
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by TOYOSI20(f): 4:59am On Apr 27, 2009
I have pumpkin pie once in a blue moon. . . . .otherwise. . . .not really, except for all that orange during halloween!! undecided

1 Like

Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by spikedcylinder: 11:08am On Apr 27, 2009
Are pumpkin leaves included in this war against carcinogens? cheesy cheesy
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2009
isn't pumpkin leaf same as Ugwu? who has tasted pumpkin seed before?
Nne mba, ugu/ugwu is cucumber.
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by Hauwa1: 10:59pm On Apr 27, 2009
Nwoke, ugwu is cucumber leaf? are you really sure?

what abt the huge pod with edible seed? any idea? pple call it pumpkin, ?
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by Omonla(f): 12:02am On Apr 28, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Are pumpkin leaves included in this war against carcinogens? cheesy cheesy

Yes, pumpkin leaves (green leafy vegs, in general) are said to contain vitamin A, enhances the immune system, good antioxidant.
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 4:27am On Apr 28, 2009

Nwoke, ugwu is cucumber leaf? are you really sure?

what abt the huge pod with edible seed? any idea? pple call it pumpkin,
The huge pod is the cucumber while leaf is called the cucumber leaf.
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 4:30am On Apr 28, 2009
[b]Speaking about pumpkins, does anybody know if pumpkin seeds are a good substitute for melon seeds (egusi)? [/b]Has anybody ever used ground pumpkin seeds to prepare egusi soup, same way you would use ground melon seeds? Anyone?
We are not oyibo that try new things. Africans love to practice the same thing their ancestors did. This is a very good idea because pumpkin seeds look exactly like melon seeds only that it's thinner and more flaccid. I am sure that if you dessicate and peel it, it can substitute for egusi with a lesser or no cholesterol. David Dylan and 4play, make una take note.
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by spikedcylinder: 8:42am On Apr 28, 2009
I beg to differ. Ugwu = Pumpkin leaves.
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 10:16am On Apr 28, 2009
Pumpkin leaf is fifferent,babe. It's called Ugboguru in igbo[usually wide, lighter green with soft stems and has more water than ugu leaf] . You can use them to cook vegetable yam.

1 Like

Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by Hauwa1: 11:04am On Apr 28, 2009
Alloy, have you tasted this seed from the huge pod am talking abt? what's it called again? something like ofin??, i can't remember. this pod is huge, normally when you harvest them, you cut into the pod and remove the seeds and cooked in water. when done, you break into it and remove the whitish edible. anyone seen this before? i think common in the south and east. but i saw it planted in the west.

now i called it pumpkin but Aloy, you are confusing me that it's cucumber ooo nwoke. abi cucumber in the US is something different?
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by spikedcylinder: 1:08pm On Apr 28, 2009
Emeka seems to be right but I think I'll still need further clarification sha because it has been referred to as Pumpkin leaves for as long as I've known.

Cucumber leaves:

[img]http://gardendesk.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54efed4088834011279151be128a4-pi[/img]

Pumpkin leaves:
[img]http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/CA25677D007DC87D/LUbyDesc/av51/$File/pumplea2.jpg[/img]
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AmakaOne(f): 3:13pm On Apr 28, 2009
Cooked pumpkin is a super cancer food.
One half cup of cooked pumpkin has over five times your quota for beta-carotene (vitamin A0) per day.
According to research at Tufts University it may be used to protect against many cancers
Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AmakaOne(f): 3:18pm On Apr 28, 2009
Not much difference in the leaf per se as both cucumber & pumpkin are from the same family.

The cucumber family (Cucurbitaceae), commonly referred to as ‘cucurbits’, includes cucumbers, melons, quashes, pumpkins, and gourds.

Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by AloyEmeka9: 8:15am On Apr 30, 2009
Thanks Amakaone for the pictures. It's a shame that we africans do not help in defining these crops because ugu is not in that picture. The picture is more like ugboguru(pumpkin leaves).

1 Like

Re: Pumpkins Wage War Against Cancer by Probz(m): 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2023
TOYOSI20:
I have pumpkin pie once in a blue moon. . . . .otherwise. . . .not really, except for all that orange during halloween!! undecided

Old thread (I browse back sometimes) but wow. Anything with pumpkin is usually lit but pumpkin pie especially’s a shout. Hashtag next month/Halloween orange shenanigans.

(1) (Reply)

Shocking Effect Of Postinor 2 / Can Someone Feed With "1000 Naira" For A Whole Day In Nigeria? / How To Prepare Semovita To Feed Large Amount Of People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.