Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert (7110 Views)

Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts / Eating Smoked Foods (suya Etc) Without Washing. Healthy Or Not +pix / Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 20, 2010
Consumers of smoked fish are being advised to be wary and avoid cancers of the luciferin and the tongue.

Chief Consultant Radiotherapist and Oncologist, National Hospital, Abuja, Dr. Oyesegun Abdulrasaq, told the News Agency of Nigeria that smoked foods contain hydrocarbon.

He described cancer of the luciferin as, “A space between the mouth, esophagus and the pharynx (voice box).

“Luciferin is from the Latin word lucifer, ‘light-bringer,’ they are a class of light-emitting biological pigments found in organisms, which cause bioluminescence.

“The term is used generically to refer to any light emitting molecule utilised by a luciferase or photoprotein.”

The oncologist said, “When you smoke something like fish or meat, it becomes blackened, there is a lot of hydrocarbon in it, it is the hydrocarbon in it that is a cancer-causing agent.

“Eat less of smoked food, for it is not what you eat today that will give you cancer, it all depends on time of exposure.

“So, if you have been eating smoked food for 10, 15 or 20 years, that is the one that will give you cancer, but if it is once in a while, it might not be as dangerous.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201007204344826

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Austin234(m): 1:45pm On Jul 20, 2010
what ever be the case, the Almighty God in heaven is there to give us his protection. whether tongue cancer or lucifer cancer
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by MrC0rk: 1:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
yea right!!!!!!!
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by soldee: 2:01pm On Jul 20, 2010
Unnecessary stories!! How come nobody is telling us that ALL CANNED FOODS increase your risk of cancer by 6000% when its an easily google-able fact?!! Check it out - the effects of sodium nitrite on the body. ALL canned foods are preserved by sodium nitrite, canned meat is kept red for months and years in a can by sodium nitrite (fresh meat turns brown within minutes of washing with clean water). So that includes sardines, corned beef, sausage, tuna, hotdogs, blaaaah blaaaah blaaaah. And that's the 'regulated' ones made for consumption in the West, lets not even talk of the ones made 'strictly for export to the Third World'. Those ones contain DOUBLE the sodium nitrite and have added shelf life of TWO years!

Pls tell Chief-Consultant-Oncologist to leave Mama Put ALONE!!

Aegi, leave us, man must wack!!
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Emmyk(m): 2:03pm On Jul 20, 2010
Civilization HMMMMMM  shocked
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by eloii: 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2010
One tin i know about this life we are is that it's only God that protected, care and cures. Main-looking at what men's put in the mouth it is very dangerous and poisous to our health and it can easy kill without any time or minute give.

only God can help us in our health condition.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by canuck(m): 2:10pm On Jul 20, 2010
Oh come on! Now that my BBQ is primed?! undecided

Get thee behind me, [b]Luficer[/b]in!!! cheesy
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by damilola15: 2:11pm On Jul 20, 2010
Some years ago a crazy prof. said too much garri could cause blindness. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Now smoked fish could cause tongue cancer??  undecided undecided undecided

Tomorrow dried pomo would give you skin cancer.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by 5p1naz(m): 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2010
our ancestors don dey chop eja yiyan no b today, one camel-scrotum faced bucket cant wake up one evening to tell me dat sweet sweet thang is poisonous, na dem sabi where dem see tongue cancer from, foolish pipl,
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by madamL(f): 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2010
Lord prepare to receive thy dear old daughter for I will not stop eating dried fish.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by hbabe(f): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2010
Smoked fish is just too good to remove from the menu; how will our soups taste without smoked fish and crayfish?
The rate at which food is being linked to cancer is getting high and soon no food will be safe for human consumption.

1 Like

Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Djswaggz(m): 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
damilola15:

Some years ago a crazy prof. said too much garri could cause blindness. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Now smoked fish could cause tongue cancer??  undecided undecided undecided

Tomorrow dried pomo would give you skin cancer.

LWKMD cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by meetmuyiwa(m): 2:38pm On Jul 20, 2010
i think the Federal Govt should strt building special hospitals for "Lucifer Cancer" patients. because almost all nigerians will need one soon.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by MissyB1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2010
No be the same smoked food we deh feed on, since Genesis?

Ma smoked fish stays jare.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by dustydee: 2:46pm On Jul 20, 2010
canuck:

Oh come on! Now that my BBQ is primed?! undecided

Get thee behind me, [b]Luficer[/b]in!!! cheesy

cheesy cheesy suya forever.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by redsun(m): 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2010
What is the cause of prevalent increase in kidney disease among children especially in nigeria?It it the unchecked and uncontrolled adulterated foods,mostly from china?

Kidney disease use to be unheard of in nigeria especially among children but these it seems to be almost as common as malaria
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Theblessed(f): 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2010
Yes, that's absolutely correct! It can and not only tongue cancer but all sorts of cancers due to the Carbon content in the food. 

Smoked foods are toxic and carcinogenic therefore, people should be careful especially, those with history (i.e. hereditary) of ca. in their family. This is because, carbon can easily reactivate or trigger dormant ca cells in their bodies thereby causing this horrible disease.

Hope people understand and, try to keep away from such foods especially when there's a history in your family. We know it's tough/difficult to do when most of our foods are smoked based e.g. smoked dry fish/crayfish, smoked bush meat, smoke yams/plantains, goat meat (burnt skin), cow legs, kpomo, suya etc but for your life, you have to try and keep away from them as there are other satisfying foods one could eat.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by ElRazur: 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2010
Don't know why this is even news, anyone with knowledge of Cancer Biology will tell you that most smoked-foods are potentially carcinogenic. Having said that, you will need to have a pre-disposition of cancer for it to happen. (And if your food is primarily composed smoked foods I guess)

I think the report may have been misreported, it should have been something along the lines of saying Smoked foods (any) are likely (but not necessarily) to cause cancer due to the chemicals formed in these food when they are smoked.

EDIT
Just realise not everybody is into Cancer Biology, so yeah it should be news I guess.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by newmusic: 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2010
This reminds me of my youth service year - smoked fish(titus) + ice water + garri  after getting scorched by the hot sun.uhm very sweet.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Spyker: 2:58pm On Jul 20, 2010
Cancer or no cancer, i love smoked fish and will not stop. Anything that can kill me is capable of killing 1000 Elecphants at a go.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by ElRazur: 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2010
Theblessed:

Yes, that's absolutely correct! It can and not only tongue cancer but all sorts of cancers due to the Carbon content in the food. 

Smoked foods are toxic and carcinogenic therefore, people should be careful especially, those with history (i.e. hereditary) of ca. in their family. This is because, carbon can easily reactivate or trigger dormant ca cells in their bodies thereby causing this horrible disease.

Hope people understand and, try to keep away from such foods especially when there's a history in your family. We know it's tough/difficult to do when most of our foods are smoked based e.g. smoked dry fish/crayfish, smoked bush meat, smoke yams/plantains, goat meat (burnt skin), cow legs, kpomo, suya etc but for your life, you have to try and keep away from them as there are other satisfying foods one could eat.

I think you need to slow down on your claims. Any food technically can be said to be toxic as your body have to rid of it waste via your kidney. So on that note all food can be labelled as Toxin. Yes, smoked food can be carcinogenic - have potentials to cause cancer - but there are other factors one have to take into consideration. Even a genetic predisposition do not necessarily mean that one will have a full blown cancer.

Carbon? Activate cancer cells? Lol You are one funny dude.  Cancers have several factors, and not all the time do just one of them triggers it. In fact, most cancer are a result of combined factors from environment, immune system, stress, down to toxins in the water we drink that get accumulated over the years. (Abi you go scare people not to drink water again?)

Also it may be worth that a few races are just "almost resistant" to things that cause cancer in others. So while our diet may be composed of smoked foods, we may not be susceptible to it due to generation of forefathers eating same diet. Just a thought.

On balance, you are right, these smoked foods are carcinogenic.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by victorazy(m): 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2010
For me, Smoked Foods are the best foods human can take bcuz smoked foods has less fat oil that can work against the heart.
Our ancestors didnt die of tongue cancer or whatever. (INCREDIBLE JJOOO!!!!)
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Acidosis(m): 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2010
Some experts says it's not good to eat fried foods like fish & meat, frozen meat, now it's smoked fish. So I think it is time to start living like carnivorous animals.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Acidosis(m): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2010
Some experts says it's not good to eat fried foods like fish & meat, frozen meat, now it's smoked food. So I think it is time to start living like carnivorous animals.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Acidosis(m): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2010
Some experts says it's not good to eat fried foods like fish & meat, frozen meat, now it's smoked food. So I think it is time to start living like carnivorous animals.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by bisiaet: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2010
I dont understand some time what a hell is all these rants of this cause this and that cause that the so called expert did not say what is the risk in can food but tougue cancer in smoke food, smoke fod especialy fish that has be in existence for century it is now they see it caused tougue cancer? Then if this is true then almost all Africans should have get the cancer.

This was how a friend of mine we studied together few years back dont tourch any money that is not new I mean real new note and I asked him why he siad during his course he was told and proven to them that any dirty note contain germ and are highly infectous I just look at him and shook my head. I am not doubting the existence of tougue cancer and the cause as they said but in African soil dont they know how mny millions of souls that eat smoke food especially fish and meat so are they all tougue cancer carrier or a potentail cancer patient?
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by DoubleN(m): 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2010
But i thought that 'nutritionist' recommend Grilled Meats and Fish since it has less calories after cooking compared to Fried or Boiled ones??
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by Akwasi(m): 3:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
How many of our ancestors and our great great parents died of this tongue cancer? These guys are not serious
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by skyndyp(f): 4:02pm On Jul 20, 2010
Unbelievable shocked shocked But they may be right
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by joel123(m): 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2010
The lord is my shield what shall I fear.
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by pawa4ul: 4:58pm On Jul 20, 2010
The Lord is my Shephard, and I shall not want, including cancer. If you believe say smoked food go give you cancer, then so be it for you. There is nothing we will not hear in the name of healthy living. Small time una go tell us say garri dey give cancer and yam fit increase the risk of Lukaemia or even beans go make us dey susceptible and vulnerable to HIV. Na wa oh, make una leave us alone with all these una talks. This smoked foods have kept our generations running for ages now, and we no send una go school to tell us to condemn our food. Since wey we no hear all these things, people dey live happily on earth.
Anyway, I get my own: Make una dey wear teeth protection before you eat garri. Cos garri dey give pimples for teeth
. grin
Re: Smoked Foods Can Cause Tongue Cancer — Expert by binaflexia: 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2010
Roasted foods can cause Lips Cancer

There is  nothing that is safe from cancer. Nonsense!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abacha: Igbo Delicacy / Nkwobi Recipe / Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.