Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,882 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? (2660 Views)

Graphic Photos: Man Bites Off Another Man's Lower Lip Over Woman In Delta State / Photo: Would You Let Your Pregnant Wife Go Clubbing Dressed Like This? / Silly Parents Corrupt Their Children By Playing Immoral Songs And Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 3:05am On Jun 10, 2011
Nekai:

Loooooool!  grin grin grin grin grin

I guess I see your point since you would be doing it out of motivation instead of selfishness. More people should think like this instead of spoiling their kids with everything their hearts desire.

It is unfortunate that most of the parents I see nowadays are destroying their kids with delusions, thinking that is love.

It is a competition between them as in their heads, if you give more and always say yes to your kids anytime you can, then that means you love them more than the next person.

Let everyone in my neighbourhood's kids get chaffeur driven to school and everywhere, if the buses are safe, reliable and reasonably convenient then my kids will take the bus. It never killed me.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Nobody: 5:23am On Jun 10, 2011
There is nothing wrong with buying a $1000 dress for your daughter or shirt for your son but definitely not all the time. They have to know that they have to work hard to make it in life like mummy and daddy. Money does not drop down from the sky and if they wanna enjoy the life mum and dad is enjoying right now they've got to work their butts off to get there.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Claus(m): 12:57pm On Jun 10, 2011
Like I mentioned before., the best way to teach any child about the value of money (amongst other things) is to lead by example.

An extravagant parent will breed an extravagant child, as long as that is what they observe.

Sagamite:

No.

I am going to preach: "You have to work bloody hard like I did to get this, bloody little brat. I am not giving it to you on a platter. If you want what I get/use, go and pick up your Maths and Physics text book and finish all the Mechanics, Newton Forces , Differentiation and Integration questions at the end of each chapter. Don't look at me with such silly innocent face young man, you are not too young at 6 years old to know the Black–Scholes model, go read up, Arrow!" grin grin grin

I am pretty sure that when the child actually comes, your parental instincts would give you a different attitude to the child than the one you infer above.

Someone mentioned that Bill Gates wouldn't buy an island for his child. The truth is that Bill Gates is unlikely to buy an island for HIMSELF. From what I know of him, things like that aren't his priority and it is likely that it is the values he has that he will pass on to the kids.

Bill Gates himself came from a wealthy home and has spoken about how his parents used to reward him for being a strong performer in school.

I strongly believe in not spoiling kids and only giving them things that are appropriate for their age. However, deliberate and extreme deprivation e.g. I shop at Gucci for myself, but shop at Primark for my kids is just wrong.

From an expectant parent.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Fhemmmy: 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sagamite:

It is unfortunate that most of the parents I see nowadays are destroying their kids with delusions, thinking that is love.

It is a competition between them as in their heads, if you give more and always say yes to your kids anytime you can, then that means you love them more than the next person.

Let everyone in my neighbourhood's kids get chaffeur driven to school and everywhere, if the buses are safe, reliable and reasonably convenient then my kids will take the bus. It never killed me.

[b]There is nothing and i mean absolutely nothing wrong in you giving a child something that is good for them, if you can afford it . . . however, i am not saying a parent should always say YES to all the demand of a child either, cos you have to let them know what is called responsibility, there is nothing wrong in tell the kid to use her/his own money to buy something of importance to them, so that they will learn how to take better care of that thing, but then, think about it, the pocket money is from who . . .you and me, ofcourse as the parent.

But again, you dont have to because you wanna train them to starve them of important stuff, other kids could be driven to school by a driver and you as a father, could drop yours and dont have to get them a driver, if that is what you want, but not cos you wanna train them, then tell them to walk to take the bus, even though you have the time and the ability to take them there yourself.

These is what i called spending time and bonding, not spoiling a child.[/b]

By the way, looking forward to another day of good discussion with you
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2011
Claus:

Like I mentioned before., the best way to teach any child about the value of money (amongst other things) is to lead by example.

An extravagant parent will breed an extravagant child, as long as that is what they observe.

I am pretty sure that when the child actually comes, your parental instincts would give you a different attitude to the child than the one you infer above.

Someone mentioned that Bill Gates wouldn't buy an island for his child. The truth is that Bill Gates is unlikely to buy an island for HIMSELF. From what I know of him, things like that aren't his priority and it is likely that it is the values he has that he will pass on to the kids.

Bill Gates himself came from a wealthy home and has spoken about how his parents used to reward him for being a strong performer in school.

I strongly believe in not spoiling kids and only giving them things that are appropriate for their age. However, deliberate and extreme deprivation e.g. I shop at Gucci for myself, but shop at Primark for my kids is just wrong.

From an expectant parent.

I will always provide my kids with things that are of reasonable quality but I will not provide them with things for vanity.

If my child is starting to think Primark[b] is below him/her[/b], then something is wrong in my upbringing style. I don't know what they have achieved in life to say something is below them.

An extravagant parent will not necessarily breed an extravagant child, an extravagant upbringing might. The ideology and indoctrination you feed a child will have more weight.

Fhemmmy:

[b]There is nothing and i mean absolutely nothing wrong in you giving a child something that is good for them, if you can afford it . . . however, i am not saying a parent should always say YES to all the demand of a child either, cos you have to let them know what is called responsibility, there is nothing wrong in tell the kid to use her/his own money to buy something of importance to them, so that they will learn how to take better care of that thing, but then, think about it, the pocket money is from who . . .you and me, ofcourse as the parent.

But again, you dont have to because you wanna train them to starve them of important stuff, other kids could be driven to school by a driver and you as a father, could drop yours and dont have to get them a driver, if that is what you want, but not cos you wanna train them, then tell them to walk to take the bus, even though you have the time and the ability to take them there yourself.

These is what i called spending time and bonding, not spoiling a child.[/b]

By the way, looking forward to another day of good discussion with you

I am sorry, but that was not what we were discussing. This was what we were discussing and you should be address.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-266268.32.html#msg8488952

You have lost track from yesterday to today.

Those are the questions you should be answering.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Fhemmmy: 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sagamite:

I will always provide my kids with things that are of reasonable quality but I will not provide them with things for vanity.

If my child is starting to think Primark[b] is below him/her[/b], then something is wrong in my upbringing style. I don't know what they have achieved in life to say something is below them.

An extravagant parent will not necessarily breed an extravagant child, an extravagant upbringing might. The ideology and indoctrination you feed a child will have more weight.

What you see as vanity could be of importance in other family.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2011
Fhemmmy:

What you see as vanity could be of importance in other family.

These are the questions you need to answer first:

Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sagamite:

These are the questions you need to answer first:

Yesterday is past and i left it where it belongs . . . . . . tongue
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Yesterday is past and i left it where it belongs . . . . . . tongue

hahahahaha . . . i just like when a Nigerian man refused to bow.

Pot calling the Harrods silverware cutlery black. undecided
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Claus(m): 2:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sagamite:

But this points to what I am saying about being an example. If having things for vanity is wrong, then it is wrong in both the parent and the child.

Teaching the child not to have things for vanity while accumulating those things for oneself will just send a confusing message.

A child can only take their cue from their parents. If the parent is happy with Primark for themselves, the child is likely to be the same.

Personally, I'm not one for extravagance, but having provided the basic needs for my child, if I were to reward myself with some little luxuries for my success in work/business, I would see nothing wrong in rewarding my child with little luxuries (appropriate for their age) for their success in the home (e.g. good behaviour, doing chores), or for their success in their academic or other pursuits.

I would not be averse to taking those things away from misbehaving children. I think it will help with the lessons of associating hard work with rewards early on, as opposed to waiting until they themselves can earn money.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2011
Claus:

But this points to what I am saying about being an example. If having things for vanity is wrong, then it is wrong in both the parent and the child.

Teaching the child not to have things for vanity while accumulating those things for oneself will just send a confusing message.

A child can only take their cue from their parents. If the parent is happy with Primark for themselves, the child is likely to be the same.

Personally, I'm not one for extravagance, but having provided the basic needs for my child, if I were to reward myself with some little luxuries for my success in work/business, I would see nothing wrong in rewarding my child with little luxuries (appropriate for their age) for their success in the home (e.g. good behaviour, doing chores), or for their success in their academic or other pursuits.

I would not be averse to taking those things away from misbehaving children. I think it will help with the lessons of associating hard work with rewards early on, as opposed to waiting until they themselves can earn money.

The cue I will give my rascals is:

- "When you want something expensive, you work hard for it"

- "When you work hard, you can afford expensive things if you want them"

- "Only those that have worked hard are entitled to extra-ordinary things in life".

There will be somethings I will bulge on and give into or just use as reward, raising a child is about satisfying "wants" sometimes, but definitely I will not be spoiling them with money because I am a multi-millionaire.

If they come home with all As at A-levels, I might reward with the latest model of Volkswagen Golf, not a red Ferrari. I will drive one though.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Claus(m): 3:04pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sagamite:

The cue I will give my rascals is:

- "When you want something expensive, you work hard for it"

- "When you work hard, you can afford expensive things if you want them"

- "Only those that have worked hard are entitled to extra-ordinary things in life".

There will be somethings I will bulge on and give into or just use as reward, raising a child is about satisfying "wants" sometimes, but definitely I will not be spoiling them with money because I am a multi-millionaire.

If they come home with all As at A-levels, I might reward with the latest model of Volkswagen Golf, not a red Ferrari. I will drive one though.

Sounds reasonable. I hear you. Hoping you heard me too.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 3:07pm On Jun 10, 2011
Claus:

Sounds reasonable. I hear you. Hoping you heard me too.

I hurd ya!

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have beaten me to my philosophy.

For years I have always said if I was a Billionaire, there is no way on Earth I am leaving the money to my kids. Most will be going to charity or humanity funds.

I was saying that long before these guys decided to do it.

If I give a child a great start in life (education, mentorship, great home etc) and a few millions in inheritance, and they can not build it, to hell with the child! I will give my billions to help millions of kids that never had that great start in life and face everyday difficulties.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Jun 10, 2011
Sagamite:

hahahahaha . . . i just like when a Nigerian man refused to bow.

Pot calling the Harrods silverware cutlery black. undecided

You must be really smart to have known that my name is pot, by the way, just wanna be like a teabag . . . .
I dont bow at all, but just dont argue for the fun of it . . . i like to discuss
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 10, 2011
Claus:

So because I have kids I should not wear expensive designer clothes(if I can afford them)? that's balderdash. I have said this before that giving kids the best things in life does not necessarily mean they'll get spoilt. I am not going to live in poverty to prove nansense to my kids. One thing is certain for sure they will be getting heaps of lectures about wise spending and hard work when the time is right.

I can take good care of my kids and at the same time not spare the rod in my house cool misbehave and I will knack you one, nothing dey happen grin . Me I am strict with my kids and I draw the line. My daughter can wear expensive clothes(if I can afford them) but I let her know whats right and wrong. She came up to me, asking me to apply make up on her face and paint her toe nails like her friend Sophie,I told her Sophie's mum can do whatever she likes on/with daughter but right here in my house I don't wanna see use makeup or paint your nails until the time is right, she asked me when the time would be right, I told her when she turned 18. She is looking forward to her 18th brothday and already planning the whole thing. And that is like years from now grin . The fact that I refused to paint her face and body still wouldn't stop me from buying her things worth far more than that powder and nail polish. All na discipline cool
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Claus(m): 5:10pm On Jun 10, 2011
jennykadry:

So because I have kids I should not wear expensive designer clothes(if I can afford them)? that's balderdash.

It might or might not be balderdash, but that was not the context of my message.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote.
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by dayokanu(m): 5:30pm On Jun 10, 2011
I can afford expensive things because I worked hard for them

I would give my kids the basics of life but never would they live on my level.

You mean if I buy a $10,000 watch I should buy them a $2,000 watch? Hell NO

I would make them know that all human beings are at the level of Walmart until you elevate yourself from there, I was in the level of Walmart before I elevated myself through hardwork not because my dad did it for me.

I can invest anything into their education and give them incentives to be succesful, Like Give you a xbox set if you made all A's in your school exams, $50,000 if you can make it to Harvard(Ivy league), Give you $300k if you can make a First class at Harvard

If I can afford it
Re: Is It Immoral To Let Your Children Live At A Lower Standard Than You Do? by Sagamite(m): 5:57pm On Jun 10, 2011
dayokanu:

I can afford expensive things because I worked hard for them

I would give my kids the basics of life but never would they live on my level.

You mean if I buy a $10,000 watch I should buy them a $2,000 watch? Hell NO

I would make them know that all human beings are at the level of Walmart until you elevate yourself from there, I was in the level of Walmart before I elevated myself through hardwork not because my dad did it for me.

I can invest anything into their education and give them incentives to be succesful, Like Give you a xbox set if you made all A's in your school exams, $50,000 if you can make it to Harvard(Ivy league), Give you $300k if you can make a First class at Harvard

If I can afford it

Lagbara Jesu, waa le afford e!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Diary Of New Iyawo (wife)!! / Profile Of Late Jide Tinubu / Hh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.