Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,035 members, 7,814,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi (898 Views)

Yorubas Now Want Oduduwa, And Not Nigeria- Gani Adams / Cases Of Glaring Impunity And Disrespect For The Rule Of Law In Gej's Govt / Ministerial Screening:Senator Heineken Lokpobiri Asked To Take A Bow & Go(photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by BushidoBlue(m): 8:11am On Oct 16, 2015
One regrettable detail about the ritual of national unserious which passed for Senate confirmation hearings is that Senators who would in any case have treated Nigerians to the bow and go caterwauling on display to the whole world yesterday received the precious gift of alibi from President Buhari.

The clowning Senators would be right to say: “we produced comedy and farce because the President gave us little to work with.”

Sadly, they’d be right. And it has nothing to do with the quality of the nominees.

There is a reason for announcing the portfolios of ministerial nominees in every serious democracy known to man. When you announce a nominee for, say, education, there is a Senate committee in charge of that portfolio. It affords them the opportunity of going to work on the profile and vision of the said nominee. It affords the full house the opportunity of preparing thoroughly for a grilling of the nominee. Most importantly, the nominee is able to prepare fully for a presentation of vision and mission in his or her area of expertise.

In the absence of portfolios, what President Buhari set up was our familiar ritual of asking the deaf to interview the blind. An opportunity for real change was lost. More appropriately, President Buhari passed on yet another opportunity to give concrete meaning to change beyond syrupy rhetoric.

I repeat: the most painful part of it all for me is that Senators who are intellectually ill-equipped for the process anyway can always legitimately argue that they mounted the convivial farce we watched because they did not know which portfolios they were supposed to be grilling people for. When Audu Ogbe, for all his brilliance, is forced by the vagueness and open-ended portfoliolessness of the situation to present himself as farmer, Boko Haram expert, and education expert in five minutes, what’s a Senator to do other than essay some perfunctory remarks, exchange jokes and back pats with him, and sashay him away with a bow and go?

However, bow and go is but a fragment of a much bigger problem. Because President Buhari did not find it within himself to change the paradigm by nominating folks with envisaged portfolios, he has inadvertently set in motion another tragic and familiar scenario. In the absence of a transcendental national ideal around which we have built our vision of Nigeria, food and metaphors of consumption have tragically come to define project nationhood. Whereas the American national ideal is summed up in the American dream, the German ideal in the idea of German efficiency, Nigeria defines herself and her own ideal as “the national cake”.

This explains why all the verbs and metaphors with which we conceptualize Nigeria relate to opportunistic and irresponsible consumption: sharing formula, allocation, national cake, etc. We have allowed that disease to affect our conceptualization of service. In Nigeria, service is essentially about food, hence every public office or political appointment is classified as “juicy” or “not juicy”.

The nominees have been screened. They have done the bow and go thing. None has a portfolio.

We are now into a phase of intense lobbying and jostling for “juicy ministries”. It would be foolhardy to believe that any of the nominees walked out of the Senate chamber yesterday without this next phase of the Nigerian thing in mind. Now is the time to return to Godfathers, Godmothers, moneybags and sponsors and enlist their help to persuade President Buhari to give a “juicy ministry” to our son or our daughter.

It is too late to expect the current crop of ministers not to operate from the conceptual framework of food and the juiciness or lack thereof of ministerial postings. They are part of our extant collective political culture. And they have all been sponsored by interests and power blocks that are totally defined by the classification of public service as juicy or non-juicy. It will take at least a decade of civics and national reorientation to begin to produce Nigerian citizens weaned of this

pernicious mentality. It is too late for the current nominees. They are certainly already jostling for “juicy ministries” as I write.

What we can do, to minimize the damage, is to send a consistent message to them: do not disrespect Nigeria in your hustling and jostling. Part of Nigeria’s problem is a generalized culture of disrespect for her by her citizens – especially those in public office. In all the places I’ve been to, I have encountered the idea of accepting one’s limitations or the inappropriateness of one’s talents and qualifications as part of one’s civic responsibility to one’s country. “I am not fit for X office because America deserves better”; “I cannot occupy Y position because Canada deserves better”; “I cannot run for Z office because France deserves better”. When citizens do this, it is called respecting your country.

http://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/?p=169226

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by nairalandmaster(f): 8:12am On Oct 16, 2015
nice one op. keep it up
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by IykeChukz(m): 8:13am On Oct 16, 2015
Hi...

All Problem Continues... @**APC**

Was thinking of CHANGE in all their doings.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by nairalandmaster(f): 8:13am On Oct 16, 2015
nice one op. keep it up.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 16, 2015
@OP, do I sense your assumption there is a country(Nigeria), here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by stexsy(m): 8:17am On Oct 16, 2015
Buhari is a joke, he is a disgrace to presidents world over......

Lets manage for four years

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by BushidoBlue(m): 8:28am On Oct 16, 2015
FrankAba1:
@OP, do I sense your assumption there is a country(Nigeria), here?

I'm quoting Mr Adesanmi of Premium times.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

Ok. Great. Could you help send my question to the said person?
Thanks.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Vicadonis(m): 9:01am On Oct 16, 2015
Nigeria is a joke - Babangida
Pius please tell them ooo
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by BushidoBlue(m): 9:21am On Oct 16, 2015
Vicadonis:
Nigeria is a joke - Babangida

Pius please tell them ooo

If Nigeria is a joke, then we are all jesters waiting for the punchline.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 16, 2015
while I agree with some of your assertions, I disagree with the fact that these new ministers will start lobbying for "juicy" positions.

I think for the most part, and am very very sure that President Buhari chose each of these ministers with a particular portfolio for each in mind.

it is interesting to note that Buhari moved away from the norm where ministers were appointed for the President by state governors.

I doubt if any of the new ministers would want to jeopardise their position by lobbying with Buhari.

this is the first time ever we are having a President with a reputation of integrity.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by realborn(m): 9:46am On Oct 16, 2015
My opinion:

Yes, it would have made some sense to append portfolios to each nominee. However, the author will be economical with the truth if he says the process has been a farce. I absolutely disagree.

I shared the author's sentiments of focus in deference to a portfolio when I watched Audu Ogbeh being screened; by the end of his screening and had a rethink that interviewing the nominees on the basis of their education and past experiences was in itself not a bad idea too.

For the first time, I saw Nigerian Senators duly concerned with some asking very pertinent questions to ascertain the readiness of the nominees.

There are obvious rooms for improvement. However, I am excited that a new strategy to screening Ministerial nominees has started. First of its kind. I am very sure it will get better in subsequent related sessions in the future. For once all Nigerians from all cadre get to know the profile of their intending Ministers. If only for the sake of this process, the nominees sure damn know it is no longer business as usual.

It is preposterous and derisory to see commentators who had no objection to the past marauding tradition of nominees dancing into the chamber like learning masquerades, nod like a lizard and without any questioning will be asked to go; such commentators now write epistles of sorts. Their desires in my opinion are fueled by flaws, oiled by bitterness and greased by antipathy. The shock of the defeat of the previous administration is still taking an adverse toll on them and theirs.

The author could have simply contributed to the epoch process in few words: "Appending portfolios to nominees will enhance the newly embraced excellent process of screening Ministerial nominees, FG kindly take note". This is the difference between subjective views and objective views.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by ArodeTsolaye: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2015
The nonsensical 'screening' is just a formality. Every fool takes a bow and leave and you call that screening? One even claimed he should not be seen as corrupt for executing inflated projects as governor as he did not sign the paycheques as EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR. He got a resounding applause from the monkeys and baboons. nigerian brains are demented aswear. lol
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by spenca: 7:13am On Oct 21, 2015
BushidoBlue:

I'm quoting Mr Professor Adesanmi of Premium times.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Holyman3(m): 7:33am On Oct 21, 2015
I always finds this man's articles very good and interesting.

But trust the lab manufactured errata to discredit him for critising Buhari
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by modath(f): 7:41am On Oct 21, 2015
BushidoBlue:

He is not of premium times , he is Prof Adesanmi, a prof of English & African studies in canada..

He provides objective & slightly humorous views to topical issues....

His articles are on his FB page,enlightening & refreshing
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 21, 2015
Ioannes:
while I agree with some of your assertions, I disagree with the fact that these new ministers will start lobbying for "juicy" positions.

I think for the most part, and am very very sure that President Buhari chose each of these ministers with a particular portfolio for each in mind.

it is interesting to note that Buhari moved away from the norm where ministers were appointed for the President by state governors.

I doubt if any of the new ministers would want to jeopardise their position by lobbying with Buhari.

this is the first time ever we are having a President with a reputation of integrity.

How do you know an employee is well suited for a job if he/she is not interviewed specifically for the job, except in the case one is expected to learn on the job.

Please keep your message of integrity, we are far more than a million Nigerians whose integrity over shadows that of the president with what we are seeing and hearing.
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 21, 2015
soulpeppersoup:

How do you know an employee is well suited for a job if he/she is not interviewed specifically for the job, except in the case one is expected to learn on the job.

Please keep your message of integrity, we are far more than a million Nigerians whose integrity over shadows that of the president with what we are seeing and hearing.

so if your integrity is so wonderful who stopped you from contesting the presidency at the last election?
Re: Bow, Go, And Disrespect Not Nigeria, By Pius Adesanmi by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 21, 2015
Ioannes:

so if your integrity is so wonderful who stopped you from contesting the presidency at the last election?

Your integrity should not be to prove a point, it should be a part of you as it is a part of me and many Nigerians.

Our integrity is on display every single second of the day, at any point in time. It is who we are.

(1) (Reply)

FG May Cut Car Import Tarriff / Crude Oil Price Drops At The Intl Mkt Pms Price Increases In Nig / Anti-corruption: Igbo Leaders, Using Agitation To Evade Prosecution – Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.