Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos (1925 Views)

DSS Raids Pencom Office In Abuja As Anohu-amazu Goes Into Hiding / EFCC Raids Musiliu Obanikoro’s Homes In Ikoyi, Lagos (photo) / Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Surplus90(m): 10:43am On Oct 16, 2015
Officials of the Consumer Protection Council on Thursday raided the head office of pay-TV service provider, MultiChoice Nigeria, in Lagos.
The officials, armed with a warrant, were accompanied by policemen and journalists to the company’s office at about 1pm.
They allegedly left with laptop computers and important documents about the company’s operations.
The operation was led by the Council’s Director of Legal Services, Emmanuel Ataguba.
Officials of Multichoice Nigeria could not be reached for comments on the raid.
However, in a statement on Thursday, the CPC said it conducted the raid in an effort to checkmate any obstruction of the ongoing investigation into the operations of the Digital Satellite Television (DStv) by the Council.
It said it did so in line with relevant sections of its enabling law.
“CPC, in line with one of its mandates to provide redress for consumer abuse, commenced investigation into the operations of DStv based on a barrage of complaints of alleged consumer rights violations against the company,” the statement signed by Mr. Ataguba said.
He said “the CPC commenced investigative sittings into the operations of Multichoice Nigeria, the franchise owners of DStv on Friday, July 31, 2015.
“This followed a barrage of consumer complaints alleging wide-range abuse of subscribers’ rights. These include poor quality of service such as incessant disruption of service without compensation, wrongful disconnection of service during subsisting subscriptions, decoder swap irregularities and poor redress mechanism and customer service.
“The inaugural sitting provided a four-man DStv team the opportunity to respond to questions from the CPC investigating panel, and was adjourned for the DStv team to provide more documents. Since then, subsequent sittings of the CPC investigating panel have suffered abrupt adjournments and disruptions at the instance of Multichoice Nigeria.”
The council said the disruptions started with a letter received on August 25 from Multichoice Nigeria acknowledging the CPC request for additional information and asking for a six-week extension for the continuation of the investigation, claiming that the notice of the summons was short.
The statement continued, “The CPC declined the six-week extension request, countering the short notice claim of Multichoice Nigeria, insisting that its representatives at the first sitting of the investigation were constructively put on notice to produce additional documents. In the interest of justice, the CPC granted a postponement of two weeks to Thursday, September 10, 2015.”
However, there were indications Thursday that the raid followed a meeting between Multichoice officials and those of the Council which broke down few days ago.
At the meeting which held in Abuja, the CPC allegedly asked the company to hand over personal information of its subscribers as well as its exclusive contract in Nigeria, a request which the company reportedly turned down.
But the Multichoice team, led by its Managing Director, John Ugbe, was said to have told the CPC that it owed its subscribers a duty to protect their personal information.
A source at the meeting said Mr. Ugbe explained that releasing sensitive information about subscribers would amount to a breach of the trust subscribers reposed in his company when they signed up to its services.
He however expressed his company’s readiness to cooperate with the CPC in its effort to ensure that subscribers obtained improved customer satisfaction.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/tech-news/191575-nigerias-consumer-protection-agency-raids-multichoice-office-in-lagos.html

Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by pet4ril(f): 10:47am On Oct 16, 2015
Ehn ehn! These people sef angry
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by warrior01: 10:54am On Oct 16, 2015
Good. Those guys at dstv are something else. God save us from these South African companies
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Feranchek(m): 11:53am On Oct 16, 2015
DSTV.....so much more!!!

After they increasedtheir tariff to N1800, I jejeishly stopped subscribing. Me wey no dey too much geh time watch am sef cos when I'm back from school or work, na to watch movie or play ps2.

Just last month, they called me and I told them my reason for not subscribing. "BROS UNA TARIFF TOO HIGH AND I NO DO AGAIN!!" He started the conversation in English buh later switched to pigin cos I use wafi take dey para for the dude. Then he told me of their 1+1 package which I'm currently using. Ifby December when this one expires and no 'Promo' package, na to dump am as usual be that grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:04pm On Oct 16, 2015
they're broke, they need money

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by IVORY2009(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
Consumer protection of Nigeria, is just waking up, I guess, if Nigeria was to be an advanced country, Mtn, Dstv would have be closed down, long time ago, haven found dem guilty by a legal court of law, still dey disobeyed court order and continued to operate "like no mans business" it should be pay as you goooooooo
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Ijaya123: 12:56pm On Oct 16, 2015
I still do not understand why DSTV cannot give us pay-per-view option. CPC should please go further than that.
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by stanech: 1:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hungry CPC agents. DSTV remains the only decent digital tv provider in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Acjohn(m): 1:23pm On Oct 16, 2015
It is the unjust charges that pushes some of the poor folks interested in their services to do the illegal.
I can't blame those guys it is cheaper no body would want to hack them.
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by 14(m): 12:32am On Oct 17, 2015
Nigeria and free things.
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by ayindejimmy(m): 3:06am On Oct 17, 2015
Feranchek:
... Then he told me of their 1+1 package which I'm currently using. t grin grin

Abeg, enlighten more me on that 1+1 package.
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Pavore9: 5:26am On Oct 17, 2015
CPC is just waking up!
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Feranchek(m): 8:53am On Oct 17, 2015
ayindejimmy:

Abeg, enlighten more me on that 1+1 package.

He just told me and I did it. Nothing special
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by ki02020(m): 8:57am On Oct 17, 2015
Hmm...they should be careful with the way they handle foreign investors to avoid sending the wrong signals to the indending ones ooo
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by ZeezaRapture(m): 9:16am On Oct 17, 2015
#OperationCloseDownDStv angry

Bloody SouthAfricans

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Milikiman: 9:29am On Oct 17, 2015
Pls break da monopoly!!!!!!thank God for Madagascar's
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by cbravo(m): 11:09pm On May 03, 2017
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by ZombieTERROR: 11:28pm On May 03, 2017
Those CPC guys are clowns
How can I pay monthly for watching Telly only on weekends
In other countries ... It's pay as your watch.. Not monthly
Re: Nigeria’s Consumer Protection Agency Raids DSTV Office In Lagos by Nobody: 1:30am On May 04, 2017
this country does not have a standard global cable network.. such a shame.. #blueWaves

(1) (Reply)

Time To Discuss OIL / HILARIOUS; Dollars In Soakaway / PHOTOS+VIDEO: See What Soldiers Did To These Able-bodied Young Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.