Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Time To Discuss OIL - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time To Discuss OIL (1906 Views)

Ibrahim Magu Meets Wole Soyinka To Discuss How To Fight Corruption - Photos / #dasukigate: Falae Calls Bode George To Discuss The Money Received / Buhari Leaves For S-africa Today To Discuss With China’s President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 26, 2015
Since we all know that the unity of Nigeria is based on oil. It time to discuss the future of this commodity. Please this thread is not about Biafra. It is simply about oil.

Also don't come here to preach to me that the unity of Nigeria is based on love and brotherhood. It is a pure unfiltered lie.

1) Oil is selling $50 a barrel on the international market

2) America has abundant oil, thanks to Fracking technology.

3) American and Chinese oil reserves are full thanks to cheap oil

4) India is in negotiations to start buying russian oil meaning that they might drop Nigerian oil

5) China has already negotiated and signed a $400bln deal in 2014 with russia to supply oil in future.

6) Iran will start releasing its oil into the market soon as the sanctions are relaxed which will mean cheaper oil.

7) Electric vehicle in coming soon especially in western countries. Electric vehicles don't need petrol.

8 ) Every year more african countries are discovering oil including kenya, tanzania, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Egypt, South Sudan and Somalia.

9) Australia discovered the largest oil feild in arkaringa basin back in 2010. They are yet to start mining it.

10) England discovered massive oil near gatwick airport. Rumor is that there is more barrels to discover.

There more to mention but I will stop here. What does this mean for the future of Nigeria?
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 26, 2015
undecided
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Igbonoid: 6:15pm On Nov 26, 2015
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by excellencyabia1: 6:32pm On Nov 26, 2015
That is why Nigeria want to let biafra go when they know that they have less chance of survival
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 26, 2015
Most developed countries in the world did it without having a single drop of oil.

2 Likes

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by princemillla(m): 6:50pm On Nov 26, 2015
I think it's best to look into non oil areas. Oil across the world has fallen and no longer encouraging. We lost our chances to develop this nation when oil sales was at its best rate. See where bad leadership has led us to
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 26, 2015
princemillla:
I think it's best to look into non oil areas. Oil across the world has fallen and no longer encouraging. We lost our chances to develop this nation when oil sales was at its best rate. See where bad leadership has led us to

In fact the chance to develope Nigeria was lost starting from the initial oil boom in the 1970s when Gowon said that Nigeria had so much money from oils that it didn't know what to do with it. Can you believe such ludicrous statement.

5 Likes

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2015
If Nigeria is ever going to stay together without oil unity, then this country must be restructured into a fedralism.

2 Likes

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 29, 2015
Read and contribute. I need to hear more opinions
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by baralatie(m): 5:22pm On Nov 29, 2015
The future is bright for Nigeria and I see Nigeria economy growing and become a critical economic powerhouse as far as Africa hub is concerned
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2015
baralatie:
The future is bright for Nigeria and I see Nigeria economy growing and become a critical economic powerhouse as far as Africa hub is concerned

I hear people say this since I was a small child. How can Nigerian accomplish this at the current oil crash and considering all the facts I listed. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Farnsworth: 5:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

There more to mention but I will stop here. What does this mean for the future of Nigeria?

well, Nigeria is Screwed! if oil is gone, Nigeria is bound to become a failed state, and the Northerners will feel the most pain, rightly so!

1 Like

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by baralatie(m): 5:34pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

I hear people say this since I was a small child. How can Nigerian accomplish this at the current oil crash and considering all the facts I listed. Thank you.
If you have studied Nigeria's economic growth carefully you will notice that as at 1980 oil was 90% of revenue but as now the oil is only 53% with 47% coming from non oil receipts.
That is why your economy is not hit like greece
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 29, 2015
Oil only 53 percent? Pls wats Ur source?

baralatie:

If you have studied Nigeria's economic growth carefully you will notice that as at 1980 oil was 90% of revenue but as now the oil is only 53% with 47% coming from non oil receipts.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 29, 2015
baralatie:

Oil make up about 15% of our Gdp but about 85 to 90 % of government revenue. Our economy is not strictly oil based but oil is responsible for sustanance of the rest of the economic sectors. Without petrol-dollars, we won't have the forex to import goods which will affect all sectors of the economy because we are an import dependent nation. That's why the CBN was ordered by the administration to limit how dollars importers can get in order to conserve our forex.

2 Likes

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by IGBOPRINCE: 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2015
We lost our chances in the 70s(oil boom) and we also lost our chances from the 3rd/4th republic(1999) due to bad leadership lacking visions and wisdom to do something useful with the funds being raised.
Buhari should picked up a map, look into every each country's profiles. There re countries outside nigeria that he needs to form a good relationship with. Discuss with them,tell them what his country(nigeria) gat to offers,bargain with them and develop a mutual understanding like partnership, Out of many countries in the world, there must be a buyers in need our oils especially those countries that re lacking oils. All these countries like china,india,and america should be ignored. they behaved too pompous and arrogant, they felt we can't raised funds without them.
Buhari need to work as one of the marketers outside the countries if he really need a buyers. He should work with his head.
I do my business, look for my buyers,partner with them,and work for my money.
He can do it. Don't just seat in your office alone and expecting good things to come in. Work with your brain. At least they re paying you.

1 Like

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by baralatie(m): 6:54pm On Nov 29, 2015
parrygee:
Oil only 53 percent? Pls wats Ur source?

Nigeria budget office!
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 29, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
We lost our chances in the 70s(oil boom) and we also lost our chances from the 3rd/4th republic(1999) due to bad leadership lacking visions and wisdom to do something useful with the funds being raised.
Buhari should picked up a map, look into every each country's profiles. There re countries outside nigeria that he needs to form a good relationship with. Discuss with them,tell them what his country(nigeria) gat to offers,bargain with them and develop a mutual understanding like partnership, Out of many countries in the world, there must be a buyers in need our oils especially those countries that re lacking oils. All these countries like china,india,and america should be ignored. they behaved too pompous and arrogant, they felt we can't raised funds without them.
Buhari need to work as one of the marketers outside the countries if he really need a buyers. He should work with his head.
I do my business, look for my buyers,partner with them,and work for my money.
He can do it. Don't just seat in your office alone and expecting good things to come in. Work with your brain. At least they re paying you.

That will be a waste of time because there are more competent oil producers that will meet those demands more efficiently than Nigeria. The low cost oil is simply an oversupply of oil to the market. It will only get worse if you consider the facts that I posted.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by baralatie(m): 6:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

Oil make up about 15% of our Gdp but about 85 to 90 % of government revenue. Our economy is not strictly oil based but oil is responsible for sustanance of the rest of the economic sectors. Without petrol-dollars, we won't have the forex to import goods which will affect all sectors of the economy because we are an import dependent nation. That's why the CBN was ordered by the administration to limit how dollars importers can get in order to conserve our forex.
You have stated 85% of GDP is from non oil avenues
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 29, 2015
baralatie:

You have stated 85% of GDP is from non oil avenues

Yes that is true but oil sector has a "Trickle Down Effect" on the rest of the economic sectors. Remove the oil sector and you will see the rest of the sectors crumble away. Why did you think Stubborn Nigerian government was willing to give amnesty to the niger delta millitants. The strength of any economy lies in its revenue source
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by baralatie(m): 7:09pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

Yes that is true but oil sector has a "Trickle Down Effect" on the rest of the economic sectors. Remove the oil sector and you will see the rest of the sectors crumble away. Why did you think Stubborn Nigerian government was willing to give amnesty to the niger delta millitants. The strength of any economy lies in its revenue source
The oil revenue is as at now 53% of receipts while non oil is 47%.
If PMB is serious by now the budgetary plan would be 38% oil receipts :to 61% non oil receipts
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by IGBOPRINCE: 7:16pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

That will be a waste of time because there are more competent oil producers that will meet those demands more efficiently than Nigeria. The low cost oil is simply an oversupply of oil to the market. It will only get worse if you consider the facts that I posted.
if there re more competent oil producers that will meet those demands more efficiently than nigeria then there re problems within. Nigeria should arrange their systems before competing with the global world.
They cause these austerity upon themselves. Useless leaders after them stomach.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 29, 2015
baralatie:

The oil revenue is as at now 53% of receipts while non oil is 47%.
If PMB is serious by now the budgetary plan would be 38% oil receipts :to 61% non oil receipts

If the statistics you said is true, then why are states suffering to pay salaries, some are in debt, some are bankrupt, federal government contracts cancelled, CBN limiting dollar,etc. Why are all these happening now in correlation to the oil crash? Why is the 47% non-oil revenue helping out to fill the gap?
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
Another fact
US navy is developing a way to power ship with saltwater from the sea

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/08/us-navy-seawater-military-wants-to-turn-salt-water-into-fuel.html
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Ghandi12: 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
You have raised an important question about the nation future but tying the unity of the nation to oil is inaccurate.

Although the reality is that we are now poor as an oil-dependent nation but fragmenting the nation will not, necessarily, make any unit(s) richer.

The new oil 'normal' price has come to stay - a reality we have to live with. In my humble opinion we have to:

""start walking all those diversification talks we like bragging on tv and radio : solid minerals and agriculture can become our new forte.

""we also need to cut-down on government expenses - e.g security votes for governors to tune of billion is inexplicable, long convoy for public office-holders should be reported to BH if you have their contacts, public officers should safe us lavish family celebration.

"" we should start discussing our population - should we not re-adopt planned parenthood policy? Shouldn't indigent people be advised not bringing more children into abject poverty? Is it not time to adopt some level of China-population-moderation policy.

"" we should review the number of our foreign missions until things improve.

"" new corruption cases should be met with capital punishment.

"" our leaders should lead modest lifestyle to reduce youth thirst for quick fame/money.

"" university graduates should be told the truth : there won't be many employers for the next two years - entrepreneurship and innovation should be preached.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by trapQ: 8:59pm On Nov 29, 2015
for some reason I you O.P.
I need to see more of threads like this.

first, we need to start by stoning all our present and past leaders. Nigeria is so bad that we applaud mediocrity. we applaud our governors for constructing roads and building school... like seriously?? its like we're stuck in the 16th century. its so sad.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by 7lives: 9:23pm On Nov 29, 2015
baralatie:

Most people no even know this thing wey you dey talk, dem no know say naija economic break don fail since 2013 due to overdependent on oil and monumental corruption.
See them making noise about the economy being in bad shape, where is all the money this country made from oil since 1999 date, what economic benefit did ordinary Nigerians got from all that money except hardship.

1 Like

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 29, 2015
Ghandi12:
You have raised an important question about the nation future but tying the unity of the nation to oil is inaccurate.

Although the reality is that we are now poor as an oil-dependent nation but fragmenting the nation will not, necessarily, make any unit(s) richer.

The new oil 'normal' price has come to stay - a reality we have to live with. In my humble opinion we have to:

""start walking all those diversification talks we like bragging on tv and radio : solid minerals and agriculture can become our new forte.

""we also need to cut-down on government expenses - e.g security votes for governors to tune of billion is inexplicable, long convoy for public office-holders should be reported to BH if you have their contacts, public officers should safe us lavish family celebration.

"" we should start discussing our population - should we not re-adopt planned parenthood policy? Shouldn't indigent people be advised not bringing more children into abject poverty? Is it not time to adopt some level of China-population-moderation policy.

"" we should review the number of our foreign missions until things improve.

"" new corruption cases should be met with capital punishment.

"" our leaders should lead modest lifestyle to reduce youth thirst for quick fame/money.

"" university graduates should be told the truth : there won't be many employers for the next two years - entrepreneurship and innovation should be preached.

I agree with a lot of things you said BUT Do you honestly believe that Nigeria would have lasted together without oil. It is well documented that the north was about to pull out of Nigeria until the british told them how unwise it would be for their future and the oil discoveries made at that time before the civil war started. Why do you think that they abandoned the aburi accord agreement?

Nigerian corruption is a systematic problem. Shooting people in the head will not solve it. You have to start by building strong institutions and closing loopholes that lead to corruption.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by mikolo80: 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:
If Nigeria is ever going to stay together without oil unity, then this country must be restructured into a fedralism.
it is a federalism. it's the federating human beings that have refused to man up and enforce their rights
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Boss13: 9:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
Have we started producing what we need in this country? About 70% of the food we consume are imported. Let's out start patronizing our own home made products and be less dependent on imported stuff.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by mikolo80: 9:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

stop looking at oil. we have so many other things. all we need is focused dedicated and educated leaders
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by mikolo80: 10:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
NAIJASOM:

we need to stop importing and start producing those imported goods

(1) (2) (Reply)

U Won't Believe Wat Dis Website Said About Nigeria In Their Top 20 Countries / Estate Management In Anambra State— A Need For Government Intervention.(photo) / Breaking News: Plot To Rig Rerun Elections: Governor Wike Alerts UNIPORT VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.