Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,990 members, 7,825,069 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace (4209 Views)

World Female Leaders Wear Veil, It Is A Sign Of Respect For Religion And Custom / Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace III / Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2015
I have listened and watched and read comments from the future generation of Nigeria and I am appalled by what I have observed.

This incident has brought to the fore the underlying animosity that tribalism breeds.

I am not privy to all sides of information so my opinion is based on the respect and reciprocal attitudes of both parties involved.

Let's start by assuming the Igbos erred in some way right there in Akure.
The magnitude of the misdemeanour can't be ascertained by me.
So the Deji of Akure now summons the Eze Igbo of Akure.
Before I continue, I want to ask a question.
Who is an ambassador if not a representative of a nation in another nation and even the embassy grounds are given the same respect as the nation from which the ambassador hails from.
Having said that, an ambassador can be summoned before the president of a country and must honour such an invitation. Being unruly to the "host nation" is a abhorred by any nation or people.
However, being violent on the ambassador is also in distaste and does not speak well of the host nation and can even lead to diplomatic issues or war.

Can we then say that the Eze Igbo is a representative of the entire Igbo community in Akure and as such an ambassador of the Igbos in Akure?
Can we also safely assume that he was summoned and respected the host community by honouring the invitation?
Can we as well say he has the right to ask for the root cause of the issues at stake in order to settle or mediate between the host and his kinsmen?

If the answer to the above is yes in all three positions, will it be personable or civil for the Eze Igbo to be beaten and derobed in the palace of the host community if due to cultural differences, he errs right there in the palace?

I have stated in other posts and threads on this forum that I have been fortunate to travel around this great nation and visit different traditional rulers for different reasons.

One thing I have found in common is that the hospitality and cultural handlers (or special assistants) to the palaces usually explain the do's and dont's of the host community.

I want to know really, what the Eze Igbo said that would have warranted the violent reaction.
If he was found to have erred he must apologize and the initial matter be settled.

With the kind of responses I read here in this forum it would seem that there is a subhuman hatred for the Igbo. The reason I say this is because we hear Nairalanders threaten fire and brimstone ok the igbo's as if the flogging of the Eze Igbo wa not enough humiliation.

When the tables turn and these youth are found to err in another man's land where ever on this earth they may find themselves, I hope and pray their hosts will be more merciful than the youth in the palace of the paramount ruler, the Deji of Akure.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:29pm On Oct 16, 2015
Utter rubbish.

He should thank his stars that it is not Alafin he did that to. I am sure his head would have been used to worship the next Ogun Festival.

he should wear his crown among his people and not in a palace of a King.

21 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:
Utter rubbish.

He should thank his stars that it is not Alafin he did that to. I am sure his head would have been used to worship the next Ogun Festival.

he should wear his crown among his people and not in a palace of a King.

So he who errs (maybe even unknowingly) must be beheaded in your kingdom?
Interesting. You are assuming that everyone knows your customs and traditions right?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by Delafruita(m): 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2015
the Eze Igbo akure cannot be likened to an ambassador.he is more like the president of a social club.he cannot hold court in akure without the permission of the paramount ruler of akure in the person of the Deji of akure.the Igbo's in akure are visitors of the Deji of akure and while our constitution allows for freedom of movement and association,it doesn't allow freedom to supplant existing tradition.

while I don't in any way condone violence,I think its necessary to let the Igbo's in akure know their place before they start to claim it as no mans land.

18 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by tpiander: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2015
Oro ma po ninu iwe kobo o.

5 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:35pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

So he who errs (maybe even unknowingly) must be beheaded in your kingdom?
Interesting.

Very interesting.

A visitor that disrespects the tradition and culture of the host should be beheaded.

If you cannot respect the culture and traditional institution of the host, go back to your cursed gully eroded land of red mud.

Simple as ABC.

Must you stay in a foreign land by force??

15 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2015
Delafruita:
the Eze Igbo akure cannot be likened to an ambassador.he is more like the president of a social club.he cannot hold court in akure without the permission of the paramount ruler of akure in the person of the Deji of akure.the Igbo's in akure are visitors of the Deji of akure and while our constitution allows for freedom of movement and association,it doesn't allow freedom to supplant existing tradition.

while I don't in any way condone violence,I think its necessary to let the Igbo's in akure know their place before they start to claim it as no mans land.

You said no man's land not me. I stated that the host community needs to be tolerant enough of cultural divides and differences to explain situations.

And may I ask how people become leaders in any community? Sometimes we humans make the law destructive instead if constructive. I believe that if the Eze igbo was properly informed all of this wouldn't have happened.
Besides you weren't there to know what exactly happened.
Pictures we saw show him without any beads or crowns unless he had been derived before the picture was taken.

5 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2015
Delafruita:

Freedom.of movement, assosciation and residency within the nation comes with a responsibility that must be fulfilled, which is inclusive of respect of others - their traditional institution and culture.

Failure not to live up to your responsibility is an invitation to its consequences, which might include maximum "shishi".

10 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

Very interesting.

A visitor that disrespects the tradition and culture of the host should be beheaded.

If you cannot repair their culture and traditional institution, go back to your cursed gully eroded land of red mud.

Simple as ABC.

Must you stay in a foreign land by force??

By foreign land are you referring to Ghana? Last time I checked this is still Nigeria. Maybe you don't understand that even a criminal has rights until proven guilty. So you should tone down your rhetoric.

5 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by podosci(m): 5:41pm On Oct 16, 2015
Nigeria is a lawless country.The constitution is superior to any customary or religious laws, therefore the Deji of Akure and his cohort should be arrested and prosecuted for assult of the Eze indigo.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

Freedom.of movement, assosciation and residency within the nation comes with a responsibility that must be fulfilled, which is inclusive of respect of others - their traditional institution and culture.

Failure not to live up to your responsibility is an invitation to its consequences, which might include maximum "shishi".

I asked a simple question, is it better to exact punishment and beatings or to explain your culture to those that don't understand it?
Maximum shishi does not always solve problems. Sometimes it escalates the problem in question.

2 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

By foreign land are you referring to Ghana? Last time I checked this is still Nigeria. Maybe you don't understand that even a criminal has rights until proven guilty. So you should tone down your rhetoric.

NO. By foreign land, I refer to a land that your forefathers did not bestowed upon you as a custodian.

Be it Ashanti or Zulu or Masai or Arewa or Oduduwa lands.

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 16, 2015
OP, why don't you let sleeping dogs lie? it seems you want to over flog this particular dead horse.

as far as I know, it isn't only the Igbos that live in Yorubaland But it must always be about the Igbos.

inasmuch as I believe in one Nigeria, I live by the tenet in the holy book that says do onto others as you want others to do to you.

it is an insult to wear your crown to another king's palace in Yorubaland, why is it so difficult to respect the customs of the place you find yourself?

you make others despise you, and then when they do, you cry foul.

we have eze ndigbo in every state in the south west, point to one yoruba Oba in the south east.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
podosci:
Nigeria is a lawless country.The constitution is superior to any customary or religious laws, therefore the Deji of Akure and his cohort should be arrested and prosecuted for assult of the Eze indigo.

As in sometimes when you read comments here on Nairaland you will wonder what the level of the mentality of the average Nigerian is...

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

I asked a simple question, is it better to exact punishment and beatings or to explain your culture to those that don't understand it?
Maximum shishi does not always solve problems. Sometimes it escalates the problem in question.

Is it not stup1d for the host to be the one forcing you to learn their culture. Is it not the visitor that will ask the host "how are things done here?".

Some people are goats that do not listen to mere words of lecture on culture and tradition.

What they appreciate is hostility to them. That is why they will always behave themselves within the northern hemisphere of this country.

Next time, I am 110% sure none of those stup1d Ezes will dare wear his made in China crown into any Obas Palace again.

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. If Jesus Xt can recognise that, who is an Eze?

6 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2015
Ioannes:
OP, why don't you let sleeping dogs lie? it seems you want to over flog this particular dead horse.

as far as I know, it isn't only the Igbos that live in Yorubaland But it must always be about the Igbos.

inasmuch as I believe in one Nigeria, I live by the tenet in the holy book that says do onto others as you want others to do to you.

it is an insult to wear your crown to another king's palace in Yorubaland, why is it so difficult to respect the customs of the place you find yourself?

you make others despise you, and then when they do, you cry foul.

we have eze ndigbo in every state in the south west, point to one yoruba Oba in the south east.

This is the issue. I have a custom and didn't tell you, you err and I flog you. How do you know the reason behind the violence?
This situation should be an eye opener to both sides to respect cultural differences.

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

Some people are goats that do not listen to mere words of lecture on culture and tradition.

What they appreciate is hostility to them. That is why they will.alwyas behave themselves within the northern hemisphere of this country.

Seems you still don't get the drift.
Well I leave you to your opinion.

1 Like

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

NO. By foreign land, I refer to a land that your forefathers did not bestowed upon you as a custodian.

Be it Ashanti or Zulu or Masai or Arewa or Oduduwa lands.

Oga superstar this is Nigeria, unless we have split up into different nations your forefathers bestowing land to you or my forefathers bestowing land to me doesn't mean a thing. In case you don't know the Government owns all lands in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

Seems you still don't get the drift.
Well I leave you to your opinion.

Thank you for leaving me.to my opinion.

My opinion remains the id1ots that pride themselves in developing other people's land to the detriment of theirs, and that do not respect the culture and traditional institutions of the hosts would go back to their jungle of gully eroded land.

Simple.

5 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by mulattoclaro(m): 5:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
The flogging wasn't even enough to me. Igbos are a nuisance. They have no respect whatsoever for the host community they find themselves. I'm very happy that he was flogged.

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:51pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

Is it not stup1d for the host to be the one forcing you to learn their culture. Is it not the visitor that will ask the host "how are things done here?".

What they appreciate is hostility to them. That is why they will always behave themselves within the northern hemisphere of this country.

Next time, I am 110% sure none of those stup1d Ezes will dare wear his made in China crown into any Obas Palace again.

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. If Jesus Xt can recognise that, who is an Eze?

You liken the tax answer by Jesus from an oppressed Israel to their colonial masters, the Romans to a Nation of free people. I see.

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2015
mulattoclaro:
The flogging wasn't even enough to me. Igbos are a nuisance. They have no respect whatsoever for the host community they find themselves. I'm very happy that he was flogged.

Ok now that he was flogged has it added to you or culture in a positive way?
Don't be quick to rejoice at someone's shortcomings. Soon it would be your turn.

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

Oga superstar this is Nigeria, unless we have split up into different nations your forefathers bestowing land to you or my forefathers bestowing land to me doesn't mean a thing. In case you don't know the Government owns all lands in Nigeria.

I laugh in Jukun.

All land belongs to Government. The same Government and constitution only recognises indigeneship despite freedom of movement association and residency.

That tells you even the government and constitution knows that there is a land for the Yorubas, Hausas, Nupes, Ijaws, Efiks, Ikwerres, Ogonis, Itshekiris, Urhobos etc

5 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by Delafruita(m): 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

You said no man's land not me. I stated that the host community needs to be tolerant enough of cultural divides and differences to explain situations.

And may I ask how people become leaders in any community? Sometimes we humans make the law destructive instead if constructive. I believe that if the Eze igbo was properly informed all of this wouldn't have happened.
Besides you weren't there to know what exactly happened.
Pictures we saw show him without any beads or crowns unless he had been derived before the picture was taken.
he wore his crown and beads to this palace and was dispossessed of them by the youths.his arrogance was clear which led to him been disciplined.in Yoruba land,our traditional rulers have to come from a royal family and there is a rite of succession that comes with a territory,how does someone proclaim himself Eze ndigbo in akure?over which territory?who crowned him?who are his subjects?even if he is the Eze ndigbo as selected by his Igbo brethren,he has no right to wear his crown before the Deji of akure.does he assume he is equal to the Deji?

4 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 5:54pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

You liken the tax answer by Jesus from an oppressed Israel to their colonial masters, the Romans to a Nation of free people. I see.

Then there is no need to be preaching again, if all Jesus's words are only used in the context and specific cases in which he used them for.

1 Like

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

This is the issue. I have a custom and didn't tell you, you err and I flog you. How do you know the reason behind the violence?
This situation should be an eye opener to both sides to respect cultural differences.

that wasn't what I read sir. I read that despite the advice given to the eze not to appear bedecked like a king, he ignored that.

ofcourse we both were not there, But I will rather believe that something grave must have happened for the floggings to take place. How many other floggings of igbos in Yoruba palace have you heard? I will give the benefit of the doubt to the Deji.

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

Then there is no need to be preaching again, if all Jesus's words are only used in the context and specific cases in which he used them for.

Quite contrary, the Gist is that we are one people. We should try and make others understand our culture instead of beating them silly out of anger.

1 Like

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 5:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
Ioannes:

that wasn't what I read sir. I read that despite the advice given to the eze not to appear bedecked like a king, he ignored that.

ofcourse we both were not there, But I will rather believe that something grave must have happened for the floggings to take place. How many other floggings of igbos in Yoruba palace have you heard? I will give the benefit of the doubt to the Deji.

Your own account sir, that's also not what I read. I read he was invited and honoured the invitation only to be beaten for erring along cultural lines.

1 Like

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 6:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

Are there two Nigerias?
I still ask, wouldn't it have made sense for the palace assistants to have stopped the Eze igbo at the palace gates and told him not to proceed than to beat him.
Where was civilisation in that civilisation?

3 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

Your own account sir, that's also not what I read. I read he was invited and honoured the invitation only to be beaten for erring along cultural lines.

then you need to do more research. Yorubas are very accommodation and I am sure you can testify to that yourself.

if this was Hausa land or Fulani people what do you think would have happened?
Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by superstar1(m): 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

Quite contrary, the Gist is that we are one people. We should try and make others understand our culture instead of beating them silly out of anger.

Naaaaa.

The koko is that when you get to a foreign land, you do not wait for them to lecture you on their culture and tradition before you do that yourself by asking the people that were there before you.

So, if you travel out, you will expect the government of that country to lecture you on their do's and dont's or you will ask other naijas that you see there?

Mind you, I can never be one with garrulous biafraudsters and chest beaters.

4 Likes

Re: Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace by BushidoBlue(m): 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2015
superstar1:

I laugh in Jukun.

All land belongs to Government. The same Government and constitution only recognises indigeneship despite freedom of movement association and residency.

That tells you even the government and constitution knows that there is a land for the Yorubas, Hausas, Nupes, Ijaws, Efiks, Ikwerres, Ogonis, Itshekiris, Urhobos etc

Yet we are communicating in English because of our cultural differences
Why don't all Nigerians speak their language and live in confusion? It's the same reason I state that explaining the culture is more superior to beating the cultural offender. At the palace for that matter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari Dupes The U.S --the Washington Times. / Hatred On Igbos A Wasted Effort And Time For The Yoruba / Ugwuanyi Awards Contracts For Multiple Road Projects In Igbo-eze North, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.