Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram (1016 Views)

"Buhari May Cause Nigeria’s Breakup" – Frederick Fasehun / Buhari May Stand Alone In 2019 ----buba Galadima / 7 Ministers Buhari May Sack Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by Islie: 7:12am On Oct 17, 2015
Dayo Oketola

President Muhammadu Buhari, who pledged to defeat Boko Haram by the end of 2015, said he would not rule out offering cash or prisoners swap in exchange for the Chibok schoolgirls.

The President also said he would not resign even if he fails to fulfill his promise of ending the Boko Haram insurgency in December.

This was contained in a press release sent via email by Ryan Kohls on behalf of Al Jazeera English and ‘UpFront’. Upfront, which is hosted by Mehdi Hasan, had interviewed Buhari on the activities of the group.

When Al Jazeera asked him whether he would offer money or do prisoner exchange with Boko Haram, President Buhari said, “Yes, we said it and we meant it. If we are satisfied that the girls are alive, well it depends on the negotiations of Boko Haram.”

The president said, “By the end of the year, Boko Haram will virtually be out of their main stronghold and that will be the end of it. Attacks by Boko Haram on townships and on military installations will certainly stop.”

If Boko Haram isn’t defeated by December, however, Buhari said he would not resign.

“I will be determined to stay and fight it out,” the President said.

Buhari also reiterated that his administration would be willing to negotiate with the Boko Haram insurgents if the group can give assurance that the Chibok schoolgirls abducted over a year ago are well and alive.
“They (Boko Haram) have to prove to us that they are alive, they are well, and then we can…negotiate with them,” Buhari told Hasan.

Asked whether he would offer financial payments or a prisoner release to Boko Haram in return for the girls, Buhari did not rule out either option.

“Well, it depends on the negotiations with the leadership of Boko Haram,” the President said.

It has been 18 months since more than 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram at Chibok in Borno State.

Buhari had, last Month, during an interaction with members of the Nigerian community in France under the auspices of Nigerians in the Diaspora Organisation, reiterated his administration’s readiness to negotiate with the terror gang.

Buhari said his administration was worried by the continued stay of the girls in the hands of their captors and was working tirelessly to get them release.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, had in July confirmed the willingness of government to negotiate with the sect if the gang was ready to engage in talks with the government.

Also in the interview with Al Jazeera English, Buhari claimed not to have seen the Amnesty International report from June 2015, “Nigeria: Stars on their shoulders: Blood on their hands,” in which the human rights group documented abuses, torture and unlawful killings by the Nigerian armed forces and urged the government to prosecute a group of officers and senior commanders.

He said, “I haven’t received that report personally. If I get those documents… I assure you that I will take action as Commander in Chief.”

In the past, Buhari has been quoted as saying he supports “the total implementation of the Sharia in the country” but he told ‘UpFront’ that “Nigerian law does not allow for” so-called Sharia punishments, such as stoning and amputation, adding that “I cannot change it. I haven’t been voted by majority of Nigerians to change Nigerian constitution.”

Asked about his record as a military dictator in the mid-1980s and the alleged rights abuses which occurred under his watch, Buhari said, “If there is any injustice that can be proved against me when I was there, I will gladly apologise.”

The President refused, however, to concede that his now notorious war against indiscipline’ in the 1980s featured any such “injustice.”

http://punchng.news/2015/10/17/chibok-girls-buhari-may-offer-cash-to-boko-haram/

lalasticlala
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by kikilove(f): 7:13am On Oct 17, 2015
Ok I hope they can get the gals back.
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by SeverusSnape(m): 7:14am On Oct 17, 2015
We said it, Now it's about to happen.

Buhari once said:
"An attack on Bokoharam is an attack on the north, How can you give Niger Delta militants amnesty and you're killing bokoharam members?".

Believe me when I say this man is sympathetic to the Jihadist cause. Now he wants to use the oil money to pay his brothers for a job well done. Nice one!!!

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by bidexmat(m): 7:14am On Oct 17, 2015
Na today yaansh deh back!

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by menix(m): 7:15am On Oct 17, 2015
Sure he would also exchange the girls for a fighter jet..

The same bokoharam they allegedly decimated

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by hamzakito(m): 7:21am On Oct 17, 2015
ok
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by Ebubeslym(m): 7:23am On Oct 17, 2015
With which Money
I hope not OUR Oyel money

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 17, 2015
Please someone should call buhari to order.

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by eleko1: 7:34am On Oct 17, 2015
Stick /carrot strategy.Give us Russian Soldiers biko

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by Chigold101(m): 7:40am On Oct 17, 2015
Will offerring cash for the exchange of imaginary Chibok girls end the activities of boko haram?
It is just too bad we found ourselves in this very bad situation, because of people like Buhari who never saw anything bad about boko haram until recently.

All Buhari wants is a way of paying back some of the monies Niger Delta militants were or are being paid by paying money to boko haram which have no right cause they are fighting for except for illusional virgins.

Let GMB pay them money and stop making noise about everything without doing any thing at all. More than 2000 persons have died since May 29th Buhari took over from GEJ.
God will save us from this weak man called Buhari
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by zinachidi(m): 7:45am On Oct 17, 2015
what is the assurance that they'd stop the mass bombings once they're settled off, or is this payment only for the chiboks??

If Jona was the one that made this decision, he would have been crucified by now.

A na eji mayonnaise eri okpa?

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by bonechamberlain(m): 7:47am On Oct 17, 2015
clueless man. finally their plan is about to see the light.
angry

which chibok girls, they better give them cash from the budget of borno state. a president of a country that always takes his plans first to foreign journalists, that goes to show u the kind of unpatriotic and mischievous leader we have.

since all these war against boko haram no one has cited the so called chibok girls. this grand conspiracy is nauseating angry

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by onatisi(m): 7:55am On Oct 17, 2015
Buhari is a colossal gargantuan political error and mistake and Nigerians must pay for their gullibility in voting for him. No sane president in this modern day will go on tv and declare that his government is ready to pay money to terrorists for the release of hostages. What sort of message is he sending to boko haram ? All he should have said was that the government will do everything necessary to bring the girls back. I wont be surprised if boko haram now starts kidnapping highly placed government officials and demand for ransom since the president has said ransom paying is an option he will consider

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by BlackrulesDworld(m): 7:59am On Oct 17, 2015
The ransom will only help to intensify and enpower them the more

zinachidi:
what is the assurance that they'd stop the mass bombings once they're settled off, or is this payment only for the chiboks??

If Jona was the one that made this decision, he would have been crucified by now.

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by onatisi(m): 8:10am On Oct 17, 2015
zinachidi:

and the most annoying thing is that he said it on a worldwide televised channel. Obama and other world leaders will be shaking their heads now in total disbelief and will be wondering how come buhari is the best presidential material in Nigeria. No wonder the us army went to cameroun and set up their anti terrorism unit to fight boko haram instead of Nigeria,because this is the sort of nonsense and dumb comments buhari must have told Obama in private when they met and God save Nigeria if this is the same thing he has been telling other world leaders he has been meeting. With buhari in power boko haram may even soon become the very least of the nation problem. This cattle farmer knows nothing

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by Samirana360(m): 8:15am On Oct 17, 2015
he wants 2 make d sponsorship official

yeye dey smell

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by chronique(m): 8:16am On Oct 17, 2015
In 2015,I was alive when some Nigerians with the aid of certain selfish elements in the political class and their western partners,carried out the biggest political coup in the history of this nation,and made arguably one of Nigeria's biggest political blunder/correct decision. I do not know what tomorrow will bring,but I pray that the result of the 2015 elections would not take us backwards,but would rather move us forward.

Buhari's utterances sometimes,leaves a lot to be imagined,and makes one start wondering what exactly he's up to.

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by Vicadonis(m): 8:19am On Oct 17, 2015
Buhari is a joke...

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by onatisi(m): 8:25am On Oct 17, 2015
chronique:
In 2015,I was alive when some Nigerians with the aid of certain selfish elements in the political class and their western partners,carried out the biggest political coup in the history of this nation,and made arguably one of Nigeria's biggest political blunder/correct decision. I do not know what tomorrow will bring,but I pray that the result of the 2015 elections would not take us backwards,but would rather move us forward.

Buhari's utterances sometimes,leaves a lot to be imagined,and makes one start wondering what exactly he's up to.
when we told ppl that in 83 it was idiagbon who was ruling and that buhari was just a dummy head of state ppl didn't believe now buhari shortcomings is been exposed worldwide to the ridicule of Nigerians. Nigeria now seems to be the only country in the world whose president is willing to pay ransom money to terrorists and even the president is boasting about it. So all the billions allocated to defence and other security agencies are just a waste. Definitely the spate of kidnappings in Nigeria will rise with this presidential comment

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by onatisi(m): 8:28am On Oct 17, 2015
Vicadonis:
Buhari is a joke...
bros this is not a joke ooo. This is serious issue. I fear for Nigeria under buhari ,even if he employs the best brains in to his cabinet they will have a tough time convincing him to do things modernly and eventually he may withdraw,stick and listens to his political friends and clique who will just turn him into a zombie or robot

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by orisa37: 12:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
Haven't you heard that there are no Chibox girls? So no more Cash payment, no prisoners' swop, bokoharam will be finished by the middle of next month thesame way Nigeria finished Biafra. And there will be no corruption in Nigeria ever again from January 2016 when a replacement would have been put in place for Obama. By the end of 2015, all the remaining bokoharam and biafran insurgents will sent to Afganistan where they will all roast.
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by otukpo(f): 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2015
Ok na.
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by fitzmayowa: 2:14pm On Oct 17, 2015
onatisi:
Buhari is a colossal gargantuan political error and mistake and Nigerians must pay for their gullibility in voting for him. No sane president in this modern day will go on tv and declare that his government is ready to pay money to terrorists for the release of hostages. What sort of message is he sending to boko haram ? All he should have said was that the government will do everything necessary to bring the girls back. I wont be surprised if boko haram now starts kidnapping highly placed government officials and demand for ransom since the president has said ransom paying is an option he will consider

This is the reason why PMB's handler should not allow him too much access to the press, if you want to ''hang'' PMB just give him the mic to speak he will sure hang himself...

Reckless comments coming from the C in C I wonder where the so called ''CHANGE'' is...SMH

1 Like

Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by bugzbunny: 2:43pm On Oct 17, 2015
Terrorists in aso rock
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by bugzbunny: 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2015
Samirana360:
he wants 2 make d sponsorship official

yeye dey smell
Fg of Apc must find a way to sponsor sharia grin
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by bugzbunny: 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2015
orisa37:
Haven't you heard that there are no Chibox girls? So no more Cash payment, no prisoners' swop, bokoharam will be finished by the middle of next month thesame way Nigeria finished Biafra. And there will be no corruption in Nigeria ever again from January 2016 when a replacement would have been put in place for Obama. By the end of 2015, all the remaining bokoharam and biafran insurgents will sent to Afganistan where they will all roast.
Wake up...
It is malaria
Try artequin
Re: Chibok Girls: Buhari May Offer Cash To Boko Haram by orisa37: 9:49pm On Oct 19, 2015
I am not sleeping, i have taken malariaquin. I feel good.

(1) (Reply)

Things Fall Apart As OBJ, Shagari Shun Buhari's First Council Of State Meeting / Biafra:why Can't The Military Opt For Tear Gas Instead Of Lead Bullet E.t.c / The Zone 12 Command Of The NPF In Borno And Yobe Want To End Insurgency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.