Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,358 members, 7,829,906 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram (584 Views)

Ezekwesili To Buhari: Hope You Aren’t Planning To Bury ‘$25bn NNPC Scandal’ / Niger Delta Crisis: Count Me Out Of Any Dialogue With Govt – Dokubo Asari / Niger Delta Avengers Refuse Dialogue With FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 18, 2015
"The President Buhari and the Boko Haram Amnesty; A case of wearing Gen J T U Aguiyi-Ironsi's shoes of May 1966.

This text will explain the above subject in clear terms but with a number of factual stories and references from related literature, and I'd wish the reader exercises some patience and reads to the end.
Please take careful notes of the words, names, phrases and paragraphs written in Bold letters.

Please stop here if you are scared of lenghty write-ups, thank you.

...At 6:30 am General Ironsi's Army ADC, Lt. Sani Bello emerged from the building to find out what was going on. After a brief confrontation with Danjuma and a group of hostile northern NCOs, he was arrested, told to remove his shoes and sit down on the ground.
As members of the Head of State's convoy and delegation began arriving from guest chalets they too were detained and asked to sit on the ground. They include many others like Colonel Olu Thomas, an army physician, and Chief C. O. Lawson, Secretary to the Government, arrested at about 7:30 am.
At this point, Lt. Col. Fajuyi personally emerged from the building. Some accounts claim that his ADC had absconded during the night and switched sides. Danjuma describes his conversation with Fajuyi as follows:

Fajuyi: "Danjuma come. What do you want?"

Danjuma: "I want the Supreme Commander"

Fajuyi: "Promise me that no harm will come to him"

Danjuma: words to the effect that no harm would come to Ironsi and that he was only being arrested.

Fajuyi: "I will go and call him.

"Chorus of northern NCOs: "No, Sir. Don't allow him to go."

Danjuma: (talking to Fajuyi who had briefly turned around) "Sir, you see what I have. This is grenade. If there is false move two of us will go."
At this point Fajuyi led the way into the building with the grenade bearing Danjuma and five armed soldiers (including Lt. Walbe) right behind him, essentially using him as a cover as they climbed the staircase and went upstairs to meet General Ironsi.

Ironsi: "Young man"

Danjuma: "Sir, you are under arrest."

Ironsi: "What is the matter?"

Danjuma: "The matter is you, Sir. You told us in January when we supported you to quell the mutiny that all the dissident elements that took part in the mutiny will be court-martialled. It is July now. You have done nothing. You kept these boys in prison and the rumours are now that they will be released because they are national heroes."

Ironsi: "Look, what do you mean? It is not true."
At this point Ironsi and Danjuma began arguing, with Fajuyi getting in between them and reminding Danjuma again and again of his promise that no harm would come to Ironsi.

Danjuma: "Fajuyi get out of my way. You, just come down."

Danjuma: (to Ironsi) "….You organized the killing of our brother officers in January and you have done nothing to bring the so called dissident elements to justice because you were part and parcel of the whole thing."

Ironsi: "Who told you that? You know it is not true."

Danjuma: "You are lying. You have been fooling us. I ran around risking my neck trying to calm the ranks, and in February you told us that they would be tried. This is July and nothing has been done. You will answer for your actions.

to also reiterate this testimony, at the Military Leaders Meeting at Aburi, a full six months later, Commodore Wey said:
"A decision has been taken on the boys of 15th January……….They were to be dealt with in August but later on it was shifted to October."

Quite apart from the shenanigan that led to General Ironsi's assumption of power (also known as "civilian hand over"wink, the fundamental crisis of confidence within the military was borne out of the failure to try the January plotters according to the manual of military law. General Ironsi became hostage not only to radical opinion in the southern Press that hailed them as heroes but also to the curious five point agreement he had negotiated with Nzeogwu in Kaduna back on January 17. Meanwhile tension and suspicion was rising in officers messes and barracks. Placatory visits were made to Barracks by Lt. Col. Gowon to appeal to northern troops to forgive and forget. Based on discussions and assurances by Ironsi, other northern officers like Major Danjuma also tried to calm down the troops and assure that the January mutineers would be tried in due course since the C-in-C had described them as rebels. On his part, every time he was asked, General Ironsi would respond by saying "Justice will be done". On one occasion he offered a pay raise to troops.
...Although it is said that practically all northern officers serving in Lagos, Abeokuta, Ikeja and Ibadan eventually became involved, three officers formed the innermost circle of the plot to overthrow Major General Aguiyi Ironsi. They were T/Lt. Col. Murtala Muhammed (Inspector of Signals), T/Major TY Danjuma (General Staff Officer II, SHQ) and Captain Martin Adamu (2nd Battalion, Ikeja). The coup leader was T/Lt. Col. Murtala Muhammed. According to late Major General Garba (rtd), others involved in planning in the South include Captain JN Garba, Lt. William Walbe and Lt. Paul Tarfa (Federal Guards), Lts. Muhammadu Buhari and John Longboem (2nd battalion), Lts. Pam Nwatkon (Abeokuta garrison, Recce), Lts Jerry Useni, Ibrahim Bako and Garba Dada (4th battalion, Ibadan), and Lt. Shehu Musa Yar'Adua (Adjutant, 1st battalion, Enugu). Air force conspirators included Majors Musa Usman and Shittu Alao. However, other officers were clearly involved because Muhammed compartmentalized the planning and also encouraged officers to recruit additional local conspirators and storm troopers. Examples include Lts. Nuhu Nathan and Malami Nassarawa at Ikeja, IS Umar in Abeokuta, Abdullai Shelleng, Haladu, Magoro, Obeya and Onoja in Ibadan and Captains Jalo and Muhammadu Jega in Enugu, among others.
...By the time Muhammed got to Ikeja (referring to the early hours of July 28, 1966), Captain Martin Adamu, Lts. Nathan, Nassarawa, Muhammadu Buhari, Alfred Gom, Longboem and a bunch of NCOs were already in control of the battalion, having executed several Igbo soldiers and officers (including Major B Nnamani, one of the company commanders) and arrested many others by cordoning off the quartermaster section of the barracks or grabbing soldiers as they came out for morning PT. The battalion commander, Lt. Col. Henry Igboba, narrowly escaped a dragnet deployed around his house by Lt. Longboem and got away.
The above historical narratives are of the year 1966, in the era of Military regimes and coups and counter coups. Permit me now to bring you to the present and back to our subject of discussion ( The Boko Haram).
We hope to show in this text the similarities or differences between Gen. J T U Aguiyi-Ironsi's approach to dealing with the January Boys as far back as 1966 and The President M. Buhari's anticipated or rumoured approach to solving the Boko Haram menace in Nigeria in 2015. (Note that Both men were senior officers of the Nigerian Army during the 1966 confusion. Note also that Buhari's name was herein always highlighted to show his agreement and involvement in the anti January coup, and hence his rejection of the supposedly laissez-faire attitude or soft handedness used by Ironsi in the pursuit of peace and orderliness within the Army and otherwise...and this is if we are to treat the tribal influences and other underlying factors evident in that era as things of the past. Note also that the Boko Haram amnesty deal is not being attributed to Buhari but is treated here as a possibility, and as rumoured suggestions coming out of the North).
In the recent past, "Major General Muhammadu Buhari had asked the Federal Government to stop the clampdown of Boko Haram insurgents, saying Niger Delta Militants were never killed or properties belonging to them destroyed.
Buhari who spoke on a Liberty Radio programme, Guest of the Week accused the government of killing and destroying houses belonging to Boko Haram members while the Niger Delta militants get special treatment.
The former dictator (having ruled the country as a military Head of State) said that unlike the special treatment given to the Niger Delta militants by the federal government, the Boko Haram members were being killed and their houses demolished by government.
According to Buhari “what is responsible for the security situation in the country is caused by the activities of Niger Delta militants. Every Nigerian that is familiar with what is happening knows this. The Niger Delta militants started it all.
...You see in the case of the Niger Delta militants, the late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua sent an aeroplane to bring them, he sat down with them and discussed with them, they were cajoled, and they were given money and granted amnesty.“They were trained in some skills and were given employment, but the ones in the north were being killed and their houses were being demolished.
They are different issues, what brought this? It is injustice”.
In a more recent development, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, condemned the terrorist attack on a Mosque in Maiduguri, Borno State (three days after he was sworn in as Nigeria's President), reiterating that his administration’s resolve to degrade the Boko Haram sect is unshakeable.
Note here that Buhari is already reputed to not having condemned the actions of Boko Haram before recent.
He warned that his administration would not tolerate wanton and willful destruction of lives by criminal elements that are bent on anarchy.
Reacting to the attack, which left scores of people dead, injured and maimed, President Buhari said in a statement issued by his media team and signed by Garba Shehu that his administration meant business in its determination to tackle terrorist violence with all the resources available to his government.
The President described the terrorists as “cowardly murderers that target innocent people”.
He explained that, as the Commander-in-Chief, he had sworn to secure Nigerians everywhere.

So, dear reader, let us stop here and hope that with this observation you will join me in my optimistic view that a repeat of 1966 be not experienced in 2015, and that the opportunity for a Danjuma to repeat his charges, written or verbal, to our today's Ironsi be averted since the "C-in-C had described them as rebels".

Say no to any form of amnesty for the Boko Haram Terrorists.

References

1. TENSIONS WITHIN THE MILITARY
http://www.africamasterweb.com/CounterCoup.html
2. Channels Television. Updated May 30, 2015
http://www.channelstv.com/2015/05/30/maiduguri-bombing-buhari-says-resolve-to-degrade-boko-haram-unshakeable/
3. Stop Killing Boko Haram Members - Buhari Tells FG - Pointblank News
pointblanknews.com › pbn › exclusive
4.http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-military-offensive-against-boko-haram-anti-north/149256/

- Francis Uzoh Udochukwu
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by jamoscofield(m): 8:32pm On Oct 18, 2015
No time to read. watin Naija dey play joor. I need to win big 2nyt
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by cardoctor(m): 9:27pm On Oct 18, 2015
Cant we ever look to the future and forget the horrible past?
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 19, 2015
cardoctor:
Cant we ever look to the future and forget the horrible past?

That will only make us unwise. Actually...

..."History teaches us to beware of the excitation of the liberated and the injustices that often accompany their righteous thirst for justice".... 
- Wole Soyinka
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 19, 2015
George Santayana -

"Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them"
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by temitayo315(m): 12:40am On Oct 19, 2015
Long like 1unit course handout.

Did i read it I dey cum make i confirm.
Sneak out of thread
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:21am On Oct 19, 2015
Eintelekt:
"The President Buhari and the Boko Haram Amnesty; A case of wearing Gen J T U Aguiyi-Ironsi's shoes of May 1966.

Fajuyi: "Danjuma come. What do you want?"

Danjuma: "I want the Supreme Commander"

Fajuyi: "Promise me that no harm will come to him"

Danjuma: words to the effect that no harm would come to Ironsi and that he was only being arrested.

Fajuyi: "I will go and call him.

"Chorus of northern NCOs: "No, Sir. Don't allow him to go."

Danjuma: (talking to Fajuyi who had briefly turned around) "Sir, you see what I have. This is grenade. If there is false move two of us will go."
At this point Fajuyi led the way into the building with the grenade bearing Danjuma and five armed soldiers (including Lt. Walbe) right behind him, essentially using him as a cover as they climbed the staircase and went upstairs to meet General Ironsi.

Ironsi: "Young man"

Danjuma: "Sir, you are under arrest."

Ironsi: "What is the matter?"

Danjuma: "The matter is you, Sir. You told us in January when we supported you to quell the mutiny that all the dissident elements that took part in the mutiny will be court-martialled. It is July now. You have done nothing. You kept these boys in prison and the rumours are now that they will be released because they are national heroes."

Ironsi: "Look, what do you mean? It is not true."
At this point Ironsi and Danjuma began arguin, with Fajuyi getting in between them and reminding Danjuma again and again of his promise that no harm would come to Ironsi.

Danjuma: "Fajuyi get out of my way. You, just come down."

Danjuma: (to Ironsi) "….You organized the killing of our brother officers in January and you have done nothing to bring the so called dissident elements to justice because you were part and parcel of the whole thing."

Ironsi: "Who told you that? You know it is not true."

Danjuma: "You are lying. You have been fooling us. I ran around risking my neck trying to calm the ranks, and in February you told us that they would be tried. This is July and nothing has been done. You will answer for your actions.

Based on discussions and assurances by Ironsi, other northern officers like Major Danjuma also tried to calm down the troops and assure that the January mutineers would be tried in due course since the C-in-C had described them as rebels. On his part, every time he was asked, General Ironsi would respond by saying "Justice will be done".

The above historical narratives are of the year 1966, in the era of Military regimes and coups and counter coups. Permit me now to bring you to the present and back to our subject of discussion ( The Boko Haram).

We hope to show in this text, the similarities or differences between Gen. J T U Aguiyi-Ironsi's approach to dealing with the January Boys as far back as 1966 and The President M. Buhari's anticipated or rumoured approach to solving the Boko Haram menace in Nigeria in 2015. (Note that Both men were senior officers of the Nigerian Army during the 1966 confusion. Note also that Buhari's name was herein always highlighted to show his agreement and involvement in the anti January coup, and hence his rejection of the supposedly laissez-faire attitude or soft handedness used by Ironsi in the pursuit of peace and orderliness within the Army and otherwise...and this is if we are to treat the tribal influences and other underlying factors evident in that era as things of the past.

Note also that the Boko Haram amnesty deal is not being attributed to Buhari but is treated here as a possibility, and as rumoured suggestions coming out of the North). 

In a more recent development, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, condemned the terrorist attack on a Mosque in Maiduguri, Borno State (three days after he was sworn in as Nigeria's President), reiterating that his administration’s resolve to degrade the Boko Haram sect is unshakeable.
Note here that Buhari is already reputed to not having condemned the actions of Boko Haram before recent.
He warned that his administration would not tolerate wanton and willful destruction of lives by criminal elements that are bent on anarchy.
Reacting to the attack, which left scores of people dead, injured and maimed, President Buhari said in a statement issued by his media team and signed by Garba Shehu that his administration meant business in its determination to tackle terrorist violence with all the resources available to his government.
The President described the terrorists as “cowardly murderers that target innocent people”.
He explained that, as the Commander-in-Chief, he had sworn to secure Nigerians everywhere.

So, dear reader, let us stop here and hope that with this observation you will join me in my optimistic view that a repeat of 1966 be not experienced in 2015, and that the opportunity for a Danjuma to repeat his charges, written or verbal, to our today's Ironsi be averted since the "C-in-C had described them as rebels".

Say no to any form of amnesty for the Boko Haram Terrorists.

Summary. This should help
Re: On Buhari's Hope For A Dialogue With Boko Haram by Nobody: 1:21am On Oct 19, 2015
reading

(1) (Reply)

After All The Controversies Surrounding The Case Of Rotimi Amaechi Screening / Senate Screening;boko Haram Are Not Muslims-ministerial Nominee,adebayo Shittu / Borno: Being A Politician Should Be The Most Selfless Job Available.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.