Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion (1001 Views)

Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland: A Needless Distraction By Joe Igbokwe / Picture Of Eze Ndigbo Of Kano With Sanusi. / Akure Youths Flogged Eze-ndigbo Out Of Deji Of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by Afam4eva(m): 1:34pm On Oct 19, 2015
I have watched with utter amazement on how every issue involving the Igbos are discussed with bias and clear sign of hatred. These signs of hatred is what i would expect from market women and motor park touts who don't know any better, But it's a shame that supposed educated folks have descended to a level where i can only shake my head on how bad our educational have barely been able to churn out book smart folks but not universal thinking folks which is the whole idea that UNIVERSITIES were conceived.

Recently, a self acclaimed Eze ndigbo of Akure was reportedly flogged by a group of youths organized by the Oba of Akure for a wrong he must have committed. I really don't care to know what transpired as i was not there but one thing is certain, an innocent Nigeria was mobbed and beaten black and blue and instead of us to call for the arrest of the Oba and his accomplices, we're giving a clap offering to the Oba for doing what a lot of other Obas have refused to do to those stubborn Omo Ibos who go to another man's land to lord over him.

Personally, i don't see the whole idea of Igbo Ezeship both within and outside Igboland except for a few places in Igboland that have history of Igweship probably influenced by the Bini kingdom as history would have it. I see those Eze Ndigbo of Lagos and Kafanchan as power hungry folks who self impose themselves because they havbe been able to acquire a little fortune. They may be idiots but they have not committed any crime that should warrant them being attacked. neither does anyone have any right to ban them. The last time i checked, the constitution of Nigeria gives every citizen the right to associate whichever way they deem fit. I don't know if the indegenous Obas are been threatened and i don't understand why. it's not as if the Igbo guy calls himself the Oba of Akure. The moniker "Eze Ndigbo" is just a way to refer himself as the spokeperson or the head of the Igbo community in Akure. So, i don't understand why this is an issue except there are other underlying issues such as the tussle for who heads the market. Whichever you look at it, if someone is seen to be contravening the laws of the land as empoweed by the constitution, he should be taken to the law courts and not attacked.

Is it not funny that the state governors in these states always run to these land grabbing Eze ndigbo when it's time for election to solicit the votes of the Igbos in these states. All of a sudden, they're trouble makers and no gooders. Ngwa continue.

3 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by donTbone(m): 1:37pm On Oct 19, 2015
opinion indeed... brb to comment
undecided
Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by Agbaletu: 1:46pm On Oct 19, 2015
I am not in support of flogging anyone. Never! I can't support it!
Some of the defenders of the dethroned leader of Igbo community in Akure lack the in-depth knowledge of Yoruba culture and tradition. If a Yoruba Chief had done what the Igbo leader did, he would have received the same punishment. Similar thing happened in my village when a High Chief wore a crown to see our King. He was asked to remove the crown and prostrate and summarily banned for 6 months to attend weekly meetings of the heads of all communities in our kingdom.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by OEPHIUS(m): 1:49pm On Oct 19, 2015
I dont think you totally get this. I do not support the assault on anyone and that is criminal and should be looked into but no one is against having an Eze Ndigbo. The Deji of Akure also said that he has told the Ndigbos to go and appoint another Eze and send the name to him and he will crown that person.

The Eze Ndigbo has become more than the leader of a group of people when they decided to constitute themselves into something like chiefs and traditional leaders. In the Yoruba tradition which the Obas follows and also instituted in the constitution, only the Oba can appoint a sub-king, Baale or something of that nature and that same authority (note authority and not person which means that same office) can take away that title or "crown". This is the Yoruba tradition. An Oba can de-crown a Baale which is in his domain and nothing will be done about it.

This issue started when the Eze decided to appoint a market leader which is the rsponsibility of the Deji. The Deji has not even said he has a candidate to be made market leader, his point is that such things should be dome in accordance with the culture which is that the Eze should have informed the Deji before appointing a market leader.

The Deji had already issued a statement that the Eze had been removed then the Eze went protesting in the streets, this prompted the Deji to call him to the palace to ask what the protest was about and then he wore his crown to the Palace after the Deji had pronounced that he has been removed. That was a wrong move and infuriated the youths who turned into a criminal mob.

Please note that the Deji has the right to de-crown any of the chiefs under him without explanation.

4 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by OEPHIUS(m): 1:52pm On Oct 19, 2015
Agbaletu:
I am not in support of flogging anyone. Never! I can't support it!
Some of the defendants of the dethroned leader of Igbo community in Akure lack the in-depth knowledge of Yoruba culture and tradition. If a Yoruba Chief had done what the Igbo leader did, he would have received the same punishment. Similar thing happened in my village when a High Chief wore a crown to see our King. He was asked to remove the crown and prostrate and summarily banned for 6 months to attend weekly meetings of the heads of all communities in our kingdom.
It was not even about that he wore a crown. The Deji had made a pronouncement that he had been removed from that title that the crown signified and yet he wore the crown to the palace as though to tell the Deji he had no Authority.

I dont even know what the noise is about as the Deji has said the Ndigbo should go appoint another Eze and send his name and he might confer that title to that person.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by superstar1(m): 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2015
All these one na turenchi.

Be rest assured, if he dares it again or any charlatan dares it, he will be re-flogged.

The onus lies on you to learn the culture, tradition and rules of wherever you are staying.

If you are stup1d enough not to learn, maybe treating some bastar.ds like the stubborn and heady goats that some people are, will make them come back to their senses.

If you cannot comply, go back to the gully eroded land, which Nri was lazy enough to acquire and bestowed on you.

Try it with Alaafin and you shall know the meaning of Iku Baba Yeye, Ekeji Orisha.

3 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by Afam4eva(m): 1:56pm On Oct 19, 2015
OEPHIUS:
I dont think you totally get this. I do not support the assault on anyone and that is criminal and should be looked into but no one is against having an Eze Ndigbo. T[b]he Deji of Akure also said that he has told the Ndigbos to go and appoint another Eze and send the name to him and he will crown that person.[/b]
What is this? What right has the Deji of Akure got to tell the Igbo community to appoint another Eze Ndigbo. This is what i call insult. It's the prerogative of the Igbo community to do so even if they think a thief will make a better Eze.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by Agbaletu: 2:00pm On Oct 19, 2015
Afam4eva:

What is this? What right has the Deji of Akure got to tell the Igbo community to appoint another Eze Ndigbo. This is what i call insult. It's the prerogative of the Igbo community to do so even if they think a thief will make a better Eze.

The dethroned Eze was crowned by the banished and dethroned king of Akure. Igbo community did not crown him, please.
Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by superstar1(m): 2:01pm On Oct 19, 2015
Afam4eva:

Will you keep your mouth shut.

How will you understand kingship when your society never evolved to that societal structural stage before the advent of the British. No wonder the British described you as cannibals dancing round a pot of boiling human beings.

It is our land and territory and our King rules here. If you cannot comply, ship out to Malaysia or Indonesia where they are decapitating your heads on a per minute billing.

2 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by Afam4eva(m): 2:02pm On Oct 19, 2015
Agbaletu:

The dethroned Eze was crowned by the banished and dethroned king of Akure. Igbo community did not crown him, please.
I find this hard to believe. Do you have any proof to this? It's also pertinent that you know that the Eze ndigbo is not under the Deji of Ajure neither is he on the same level with him. he is independent of whatever ensues in the Akure Monarchical setup. He is simply the head of the Igbo community in Akure.
Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by OEPHIUS(m): 2:02pm On Oct 19, 2015
Afam4eva:

As long as the Ndigbo want to see the Eze as a sort of chief or traditional institution, the Deji will have to vet it.

This is just like the people of a place say Egbeda deciding to have a leader, name him Baale and give him a crown without permission from the Oba of Lagos. it wont stand.

the best that can be done is to limit the Ndigbo to a social organisation? pressure group with not much muscle....which mean things like market leader will not be part of thier agenda.

Please remember that the Eze Ndigbo was crowned by the Former Deji.
Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by OEPHIUS(m): 2:12pm On Oct 19, 2015
Afam4eva:

I find this hard to believe. Do you have any proof to this? It's also pertinent that you know that the Eze ndigbo is not under the Deji of Ajure neither is he on the same level with him. he is independent of whatever ensues in the Akure Monarchical setup. He is simply the head of the Igbo community in Akure.
The head of the Igbo community should not wear a crown, he should not have chiefs. Sir Gregory Iloehike had a crown and has chiefs. In his statement, he said "I went to his palace with one of my chiefs"

Please who is permitted to make other people chief? And why is he wearing a crown?

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by coolitempa(f): 2:13pm On Oct 19, 2015
Afam4eva:

That you find it hard to believe does not make it untrue.....the facts are simple.....and are indisputable even by the flogged Eze.... angry angry...he was crowned by the Deji.....and de-crowned by the same office even if a different Deji.....kapish......now buzz off....stewpeed moaner.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Eze Ndigbo Outside Igboland - My Opinion by BushidoBlue(m): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2015
It's as simple as the OP stated.

Granted, the Eze ndi Igbo erred however the right to mete out retribution or punishment belongs to a court after a crime has been established.

Some dunderheads here keep saying that it's gonna happen to whoever and whenever.
I'm wondering if this is out of anger or naivety....
No one has the keys to the throne of violence in a Democracy.
Most times actions like these backfire.
It's comparable to herdsman believing that traversing the nation and destroying crops as they go is their inalienable right, with utter disrespect.

(1) (Reply)

Political Gadget : Have You Seen Something Like This PICS / Wow! Gala Seller Robs Lady In Lagos At Gunpoint / Groups Commend Saraki’s Handling Ministerial Confirmations, Urges More Support

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.