Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,783 members, 7,841,041 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? (53417 Views)

Dino Melaye And Ali Ndume In War Of Words Over Screening Of Ibrahim Magu / Okorocha: Ekweremadu Will Lose Seat To APC Candidate / Saraki, Ekweremadu Will Be Sent Packing Next Week – Senator Marafa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by hassman: 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
Following the failure of Saraki to get a reprieve from the Appeal Court today regarding his trial, it then means he will have his days in court on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Consequently, in his absence, the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremmadu will have to preside on Wednesday when the final batch of the ministerial nominees would be screened and possibly confirmed.

Interesting scenario... wink

You wish in vain!
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by meforyou1(m): 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Amaechi's screening comes up tomorrow. If for any reason it doesn't hold, he should decline to attend if Ekweremadu is to preside.
this man, do you know there is difference between ministerial screening and confirmation? Even those screened on Tuesday will have to be confirmed on Wednesday. And if Amaechi is ever lucky to be screened,it is on Wednesday that we will finish him. The 'Nays' will carry the day. Not like that nonsense you guys did during lie mohd confirmation.

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by FirstCounsel(m): 10:41pm On Oct 19, 2015
lawflec:
Not at all. Dsp will not preside, it will be Saraki. Firstly, Amechi and others would be screened tomorrow not Wednesday.
Secondly, if the screening is on Wednesday, he can. still preside because the judicial interpretation of section 36 is that an accused must be represented during his trial either in person or through a legal practitioner of his choice. And it implies. Both in civil or criminal matters. That is why even in election petitions the respondent must not be in court. However, Saraki being an intelligent man would rather go to court than sit in the house and watch Amechi loose his bid to become a minster.
Please permit me to correct you there sir. Election petitions are civil in nature thus Petitioners and Respondents need not necessarily appear except to give evidence. However in Criminal matters the Accused MUST appear in person no matter how HIGHLY placed. The CCT has ruled that it has criminal jurisdiction so how is it for you that Saraki can elect not to attend? I find your position strange with due respect to you. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by FirstCounsel(m): 10:45pm On Oct 19, 2015
meforyou1:
mind you, ngeneukwenu is male. A very fooliish idiotic boy
Well I have always thought she was female but thanks all the same. Would rather not dabble into this contentious subject.
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by meforyou1(m): 10:48pm On Oct 19, 2015
FirstCounsel:

Well I have always thought she was female but thanks all the same. Would rather not dabble into this contentious subject.
well to me it is very simple. We caught him red handed in one abakiliki roads issue.

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by FirstCounsel(m): 10:55pm On Oct 19, 2015
meforyou1:
well to me it is very simple. We caught him red handed in one abakiliki roads issue.
Ok grin
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by InvertedHammer: 12:24am On Oct 20, 2015
/
Does it matter who presides?

The outcome will be the same.

\
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:36am On Oct 20, 2015
meforyou1:
this man, do you know there is difference between ministerial screening and confirmation? Even those screened on Tuesday will have to be confirmed on Wednesday. And if Amaechi is ever lucky to be screened,it is on Wednesday that we will finish him. The 'Nays' will carry the day. Not like that nonsense you guys did during lie mohd confirmation.
From my understanding, it's only Amaechi and Shittu that are billed to be screened. Those in the second batch will be determined later. Nothing stops Amaechi and Shittu from being screened and confirmed on Tuesday.
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by ArcIbrahim38(m): 12:38am On Oct 20, 2015
OEPHIUS:
I doubt he has to be in court physically since his plea has been taken.
His lawyer(s) can represent him
For where........

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by enisonfome(m): 12:39am On Oct 20, 2015
Hmm na wha hoo. Where wl witchunting get us in dis our 9ja sef?
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Kzealz(m): 12:39am On Oct 20, 2015
EdCure:

This is all you could say after all the verbiage?
You're a big fool.

You biafrauds don't ever contribute anything meaningful to a discussion apart from emotional tantrums.
Very repulsive set of clumsy schleps.

the boy is a fool.... but then u don't have to make it a tribal ishhh....

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Princewell2012(m): 12:43am On Oct 20, 2015
meforyou1:
I'm not a lawyer, let the lawyers in the forum speak.
Then why dont you shut your mouth up and learn

7 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 20, 2015

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by jumobi1(m): 12:54am On Oct 20, 2015
Won't they just reschedule the remaining screening?
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Smooth51(m): 12:57am On Oct 20, 2015
ok

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by lawflec(m): 1:11am On Oct 20, 2015
FirstCounsel:

Please permit me to correct you there sir. Election petitions are civil in nature thus Petitioners and Respondents need not necessarily appear except to give evidence. However in Criminal matters the Accused MUST appear in person no matter how HIGHLY placed. The CCT has ruled that it has criminal jurisdiction so how is it for you that Saraki can elect not to attend? I find your position strange with due respect to you. Thank you
election petition are criminal. Secondly, no law in Nigeria mandates an accused to be in court after the writs have been exchanged except to give evidence of which he can refuse and remain silent. Compelling him to appear in court is a violation of section 41 of the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by akpumping7720(m): 1:43am On Oct 20, 2015
EdCure:

You're a big fool.

You biafrauds don't ever contribute anything meaningful to a discussion apart from emotional tantrums.
See as you finish d dude! U are wicked ooooo. he don offend u before? Take it easy oooo
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by JDado: 1:49am On Oct 20, 2015
WELL ITS NOT FAR FROM US WE SHALL SEE HOW IT GOES

MAKE MORE MONEY TODAY FROM OUR CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FREE MATCH PREDICTIONS TODAY [url]picknstake.com[/url]
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Osakah24(m): 2:05am On Oct 20, 2015
Naturally I hate being negative but I'm still wondering where this Change will lead us to.This new government ain't going anywhere like this.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by blaksmith: 2:13am On Oct 20, 2015
It is always trite to separate matters of law from the influence of politics. However, in this peculiar situation, it is politics that the law is attempting to resolve. Nonetheless the following is what should happen in a case devoid of overarching political interest.

A little background:
After hearing arguments of both Counsel on Friday, J.B Daudu (SAN) who is Counsel to the Senate President presented a motion for stay of proceedings of the CCT which the Appeal Court struck out on the grounds that it would amount to a moot point to issue a ruling on such an applicaiton when the COurt is ready to deliver final judgement on the substantive issues argued before it. This is sound reasoning and in fact was not seen as negative by either side. It was in anticipation of judgement delivery on Monday the application was struck out.

Now fast forward, and we suddenly see political influence encroaching on the independence of the Judiciary. The Appeal Court Justices had prepared their judgement and were ready to deliver it when, according to rumoured and unconfirmed sources, a directive was issued from the top of the Appeal Court to desist on proceeding with reading the judgement. It hsould be said that this in itself is a travesty of the legal process. Justice delayed is justice denied. This directive was allegedly issued because the judgement was clearly in Saraki's favour.

Nevertheless, many permutations abound as to the implication of this stall of events on the CCT proceedings. Well this is my view as a legal practitioner and based on legal precedence (case law and time tested legal custom and practice) - a lower court is bound to stop proceedings where an appeal is ongoing and they have notice of the appeal. his is particularly where the appeal directly affects the substantive issues of the proceedings of the lower court. in addition ,it is even more pertinent when proceedings at the appeal court have been concluded and parties are awaiting delivery of the judgement. Thus it will be an insult to the Court of Appeal if the CCT continues proceedings on Wednesday when it aware that the Court of Appeal is has reserved its judgement and is adjourned to deliver it at a later date. SAraki should not go on Wednesday to the CCT for 2 reasons: conclusion of Ministerial screenings and delivery of judgement by the Appeal Court.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by mideactive: 2:21am On Oct 20, 2015
It's just a simple ploy to make Saraki loyal 2 APC.so many things 'l change after dis ministerial thing.I hate 2 say dis,pdp might die finally..
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Holyman3(m): 2:58am On Oct 20, 2015
EdCure:

You're a big fool.

Dirty smelly animal and his likes clicking 'like' on a useless senseless post.
Why do you pee in your pants each time you hear Biafra?
Your Awolowo killed himself after finding out he could have followed Biafra during the war to liberate his people.
Now you all hug your keyboards to post nonsense against those who are not killing you or destroying your farms.

2 Likes

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by discusant: 3:56am On Oct 20, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

In criminal cases, the accused must be present and also sit in the dock until the trial is over. So he will be attending court anytime the case is called.

But you normally sound more like a criminal than Saraki.

1 Like

Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Muyoatlanta(m): 4:06am On Oct 20, 2015
It feels good to finally become a member after many years of egalitarian status......honorable parliamentarian s..young and old I salute you. I salute the doggedness of many patriots on the Nigerian land.......the level of decay is alarming.funny enough we tolerate this elephant sh*t.they dont even code it.
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by engr096354: 4:23am On Oct 20, 2015
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by pcagbaji(m): 4:42am On Oct 20, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

In criminal cases, the accused must be present and also sit in the dock until the trial is over. So he will be attending court anytime the case is called.
If not for nairalander like this you for just be misleading people
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by Nobody: 5:05am On Oct 20, 2015
Season film continues
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by M4gunners: 5:08am On Oct 20, 2015
No it means APC is finish.
Re: Appeal Court Ruling: Does It Mean Ekweremadu Will Preside Over Screening On Wed? by blackpanda: 5:13am On Oct 20, 2015
OEPHIUS:
I doubt he has to be in court physically since his plea has been taken.
His lawyer(s) can represent him

An accused MUST always be in court for every sitting. Thats what the constitution says

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram Bomber Boy Caught By CJTF In Borno State (Photos) / Bayelsa Governorship Election Official Results 2019 Announcement (Live Updates) / 2023: Tinubu Meets Wike, Makinde, Ortom In London - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.