Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,672 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? (26333 Views)

Chinese Firm Incarcerates 30 Nigerian Staff In Its Premises For Three Days / How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks / Differences Between: Sack, Lay-off, Retrenchment And Fire. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by newspostng(m): 11:00pm On Oct 19, 2015
from a seller's perspective......many of us are going tru hell....items are getting lost, damaged by the jumia dispatchers and those careless staffs that were laid off mostly... and when they brought the damaged items to our shop,most of us as merchants reject them ,therefore jumia pays for all the damaged items resulting to millions monthly. i am a witness.in most cases,my hard drives sent in working conditions come back damaged in the process of being returned.several items also got damaged.and lost. now can you blame jumia for this. if the staffs were active enough and keep track of all items and dispatchers aswell, the sacking wouldnt have been this much.we as sellers are losing money and just using profit to balance things up,its not easy,most times jumia dont even pay for all our damages once we reject returns because the damages are just too much and all can be controlled if staffs and dispatchers are doing there jobs... most time also,items comes back as returns and the main item inside the pack would have been stolen by jumia dispatchers, they will return empty pack and we as merchants have to reject the item, jumia pays for all the loss. even though jumia is making money, they are paying heavy debts monthly as a result of damages, lost items being returned to sellers.

konga also have same problem in the past and these has been controlled because sales has dropped on konga. we that are selling are the only one that can confirm. konga has reduced traffic to most merchants store and sales is being controlled to reduce damages and returns.their is much traffic on jumia than konga.konga also recently made a great mistaken by allowing jjust any individual to join their platform which has result to many fake items and dubious activities such as spam mailing and more on the platform. they do this coz they are looking for fast money and now regreting there action.everything is now being controlled.jumia will never allow such coz its controlling and owned by white people.. forget about the popularity.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 19, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:
Na wa o......this is too bad.....only in Nigeria
Where is NLC and the human rights lawyers when you need them

No, it's not only in Nigeria.

Seems Jumia is an at will employer. If so then they are free to fire at anytime and employees are free to quit also at anytime.

The firings doesn't bother me nor does the manner of firing, what bothers me is wether or not they are offering the displaced employees a severance package.

Should they send out emails and allow disgruntled employees to cause mayhem on the network?

2 Likes

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by DavidOluyale(m): 11:55pm On Oct 19, 2015
Aeya. nd dey even collect d laptop again.
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by DavidOluyale(m): 11:58pm On Oct 19, 2015
cosmatika:
If Buhari is to rule dis country for 15yrs, I blv dat a day will come Wen we ll have a novel titled “THERE WAS A COUNTRY CALLED NIGERIA" Our Economy has crumbled under d Daura President

its been crumbling since d military days. Ext rate was at a time $1 : 60kb.

Don't blame one. Blame all if u must...

2 Likes

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Inspectahdeck(m): 12:58am On Oct 20, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:

NLC is dead. They buried themselves in corruption, dishonesty, greed, lack of loyalty to the association and its rank and files etc.

1 Like

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by opribo(m): 1:13am On Oct 20, 2015
sue them for labour law infringement
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by linearity: 4:35am On Oct 20, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:

It happens everywhere, there is no human right abuse there. You can't employer to continue to keep workers on their payroll against their self interest.

More than 80% of employees in the US are 'at will employees', which means the employee or the employer can fire each other at anytime, but the golden social rule is, one have to give the other at least two weeks notice, but there is not wrong if you literally walk right out without any notice or if HR tap your shoulder and walk you right out, but in most cases employees will give two weeks pay in lieu of notice.

1 Like

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by mitchyy(f): 6:06am On Oct 20, 2015
Same way no one is talking about IrokoTV which laid off dozens of staffs without prior notice. Trust Nigerians, they'll only be suffering in silence and refuse to speak out against such ills.
But when it comes to the govt, you'll see everyone wailing and criticizing.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Achirimma(f): 6:09am On Oct 20, 2015
@op 50 multiplied by 6 you mean? Its very true cry

1 Like

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Stonerobaba(m): 6:18am On Oct 20, 2015
Its a general thing in the country nowdays. It started from the oil and gas sector then to the banking sector and now the train is moving so fast to other sectors. I can't blame Jumia for reducing her work force to cut her existing costs and break even I can only fault the manner in which this was done. All we need is for the economy to be stabilized as a whole. God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 20, 2015
Having worked with many IT firms and also HR dept for an IT firm
i can guess why.

80% of IT employees are either on Facebook, twitter, nairaland, instagram etc 80% of the time while they get paid so heavily.
See, if you can not work, resign.

simple.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by ikaboy: 7:15am On Oct 20, 2015
smuth:
[size=15pt]Guess Konga is giving them a very tough competition...it is not easy out there.

Konga will be like "Catch us if you can"
[/size]

Not a cojecture but FACT
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Ndeewonu: 7:26am On Oct 20, 2015
jnrbayano:
Draconian

Impunity, that is!

This same attitude appears to be taking a cue from the government of the day, where the voice of reason, ethics and professionalism is not heeded to. If all your appointments would come from the North, in flagrant disregard for the diversity of the nation, constitutional requirement and common sense, then, what has Jumia done wrong to be vilified?

The people deserve the government it gets!
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by SnazzyBaba(m): 7:32am On Oct 20, 2015
tongue tongue
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by SnazzyBaba(m): 7:34am On Oct 20, 2015
Your IT experience is poo. You do not know what you are talking about. Apologies for saying that
sledjama:
Having worked with many IT firms and also HR dept for an IT firm
i can guess why.

80% of IT employees are either on Facebook, twitter, nairaland, instagram etc 80% of the time while they get paid so heavily.
See, if you can not work, resign.

simple.
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by biggie1: 7:44am On Oct 20, 2015
ceaser:

There are no significant differences in prices in my opinion. Remember that a particular seller may have his products on offer on all the platforms of Konga, Jumia and Kaymu. A 5k item on Jumia with 1k shipping fee may be put up by same seller as 4k5 with 1k5 shipping on Konga.

I've used Jumia only once for the first time 2 weeks ago, not very impressed as goods got delayed beyond the promised date of delivery and I wasted time and fuel going to their office where I scheduled pick up.

Konga I have used tens of times and i have had no reason to complain.

By the way, who/which countries own these outlets (i.e Konga, Jumia, Kaymu). I wanna know if there's any of the three owned by South Africa. I've always avoided SA consortiums like a plague and justifiably so.

Konga is Nigerian, Jumia is mostly SouthAfrican now because of MTN investment there, Kaymu is part of JUmia(South Africa).
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Deduke(m): 7:47am On Oct 20, 2015
Very true, not onlly did they lay off, they slashed salaries of workers.
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by don4real18(m): 7:58am On Oct 20, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:
They are seeking appointments from the FG
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by geraob1: 8:00am On Oct 20, 2015
bolajJP007:
You are a big fool. Who kill the economy? Was it not your illetrate Jonadunce. Which regime made more money in the history of NIGERIA than Jonadunce's regime?
Better grow up and stop all this hatred, it wont take you anywhere.

Seriously must u ppl politicise everything.
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by stonecoldcafe: 8:12am On Oct 20, 2015
Sad
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by buchilino(m): 8:46am On Oct 20, 2015
bugzbunny:

Dats not an excuse to treat pple lik crap
Watch them get away with this
because youths dnt care
they are obsessed with tribalistic threads
Wat davido had for dinner and
Arsenal and bayern munich bet odds
Wat a country....

D PROBLEM WITH YOUTHS IS DAT MOST LACK PATIENCE, HARD-WORK N CREATIVITY. I USE TO WORK FOR SOMEONE, AFTER SOME MONTHS I WAS ENABLE 2 SAVE SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY WHICH I USED 2 BUY KEKE MARUWA. NOW WAT I MAKE IN A MONTH IS BIGGER THAN WAT ANY COY CAN PAY ME N YET AM NOT EVEN BASED IN ABUJA, LAGOS OR PORT HARCOURT. DATS Y I TIME ON NL SO EARLY IN D MORNING.
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by jaegermesiter: 10:07am On Oct 20, 2015
The economy crumbled cos when crude was 110 dollars,we did nothing,no investment,mothing,some certain political upper class were buying private jets as though it were amala...foreign crude reeserves depleted and nothing to show for it.
Now that same Crude is 30 dollars and we haven't sold crude in 4 months nw,all oil producing facilities are all shut as it is now better to import and produce the Crude,all buhari has done for four months is to pay salaries...and even at that he is finding it difficult cos of certain people philanderings

cosmatika:

If Buhari is to rule dis country for 15yrs, I blv dat a day will come Wen we ll have a novel titled “THERE WAS A COUNTRY CALLED NIGERIA" Our Economy has crumbled under d Daura President

1 Like

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Dee60: 10:11am On Oct 20, 2015
Any employer in Nigeria who does not weed off unproductive staff may one day find that his business has been sacked. Nigerians need to wake to reality. You cannot give what you dont want have. There are tons of people who like to have big money but do not like work! That happens everywhere.

Dont blame Nigeria. Brender Rogers was shown the way out because of poor showing. Even the so called 'special one' knew that if he lost two more matches he would have been shown the way out.

Yes, people should never be bullied and Jumia must be checked if they bullied anyone out.

But we have got to wake up in this country. The National Cake has been eaten up by the politicians, call them PDP or APC! They are still bent on continuing with their chopping and they must be giving the new President and VP a tough time.

To those 50 who are asked to go, that is not the end of life. From what you have learnt about cmmerce while in Jumia you should be able to do something. If you have not leant anything, then.....you have to go back to where you can learn.

With today's economic downturn, everyone should brace up....not only to work but to be productive and profitable. Employers are not fools. They rarely chase away the chickens that produce the eggs.

1 Like

Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by bugzbunny: 1:16pm On Oct 20, 2015
buchilino:

D PROBLEM WITH YOUTHS IS DAT MOST LACK PATIENCE, HARD-WORK N CREATIVITY. I USE TO WORK FOR SOMEONE, AFTER SOME MONTHS I WAS ENABLE 2 SAVE SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY WHICH I USED 2 BUY KEKE MARUWA. NOW WAT I MAKE IN A MONTH IS BIGGER THAN WAT ANY COY CAN PAY ME N YET AM NOT EVEN BASED IN ABUJA, LAGOS OR PORT HARCOURT. DATS Y I TIME ON NL SO EARLY IN D MORNING.
Which city does the keke ply...
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by extraterra: 6:00pm On Oct 20, 2015
Lol why blame Buhari for this? It's not a government owned firm. It's a private investment and they will do as they darn well please. But on a serious note, Buhari and his cronies have not made any simulation of progress in this nation since they took over. Their start is a crying shame, if you ask me. This country deserves better than the recycling of old bags like his septagenarian mates. Nigeria needs fresh heads and brains. Period.
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by buchilino(m): 7:03pm On Oct 20, 2015
bugzbunny:

Which city does the keke ply...

MAY I NO Y U ASK
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by bugzbunny: 8:26pm On Oct 20, 2015
buchilino:

MAY I NO Y U ASK
Money varies with location
Re: Did Jumia Lay Off 50 Staff In The Most Unsavory Manner? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2015
newspostng:
from a seller's perspective......many of us are going tru hell....items are getting lost, damaged by the jumia dispatchers and those careless staffs that were laid off mostly... and when they brought the damaged items to our shop,most of us as merchants reject them ,therefore jumia pays for all the damaged items resulting to millions monthly. i am a witness.in most cases,my hard drives sent in working conditions come back damaged in the process of being returned.several items also got damaged.and lost. now can you blame jumia for this. if the staffs were active enough and keep track of all items and dispatchers aswell, the sacking wouldnt have been this much.we as sellers are losing money and just using profit to balance things up,its not easy,most times jumia dont even pay for all our damages once we reject returns because the damages are just too much and all can be controlled if staffs and dispatchers are doing there jobs... most time also,items comes back as returns and the main item inside the pack would have been stolen by jumia dispatchers, they will return empty pack and we as merchants have to reject the item, jumia pays for all the loss. even though jumia is making money, they are paying heavy debts monthly as a result of damages, lost items being returned to sellers.

konga also have same problem in the past and these has been controlled because sales has dropped on konga. we that are selling are the only one that can confirm. konga has reduced traffic to most merchants store and sales is being controlled to reduce damages and returns.their is much traffic on jumia than konga.konga also recently made a great mistaken by allowing jjust any individual to join their platform which has result to many fake items and dubious activities such as spam mailing and more on the platform. they do this coz they are looking for fast money and now regreting there action.everything is now being controlled.jumia will never allow such coz its controlling and owned by white people.. forget about the popularity.

Thanks for this great insight.

The painful part is these employees, just like yemi, care only about their payday. How the employer gets the money to pay them does not count.

SnazzyBaba:
Your IT experience is poo. You do not know what you are talking about. Apologies for saying that
My IT experience is not relevant in this context sir, i could have said it was the HR of an engineering company, in which case we aren't talking about whether i know jack about screws or not.

Being an IT firm, the company (which i wont disclose) require a 3rd party to help give an accurate analysis of what their employees spend most of their supposed coding hours doing. This is what i was privileged to be a part of and i gave my stats above spontaneously based on this particular instance.

It may be different with jumia though.
Like i said, my comments are spontaneous and based on that this thread claims they were walked out of Jumia.
if i find out my employee wastes office hours chatting on Facebook, I may thread same path and nothing will happen sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Policeman Flaunts His Tommy At The Silverbird Entertainment Center, / Broke And Confused, I Need Your Advice. / Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.