Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,618 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri (10631 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 20, 2015
1. There Is no Family in Itsekiri without any Urhobo Lineage (All Itsekiri are one way or the Other connected to Urhobo only Few re connected to Ilaje ).

2. The Urhobo And Itsekiri Fights during day time but make love to each other in the NIGHT.

3. The Urhobo and Itsekiri crisis was political, It never represented the mind of the people, They never Hate each other (Our eye don open now, No Bloody chief/King can tell us to Fight Each other)

4. Most Urhobo & Itsekiri Sees themselves as Different People but in the Real Sense they are ONE .

5. Urhobo and Itsekiri are more connected to each other more than any other tribe in Nigeria.

6. Although The Itsekiri language is almost the same with Yoruba but the Urhobo's Understand the Itsekiri's When they communicate more than the Yoruba's.

7. Urhobo and Itsekiri food are almost The same but The way an Itsekiri woman Will Prepare Starch is different from the way an Urhobo Woman will prepare it (No play with Itsekiri people starch oo.. If you use am eat Banga soup your brain go spark) .

8. 80% Of proverb in Urhobo has its Itsekiri version.

9. Urhobos and Itsekiris were both influenced by Edo so much that even their traditional system of monarchy is like that of the Edo.

10. Urhobos and Itsekiris have the largest spectrum of literates in Delta State, especially the Itsekiris!

11. Itsekiri/Urhobo are major oil Producing Communities in Nigeria, With Itsekiri Accounting For About 40% Of Nigeria Oil Exportation..

12. ...

Written by Ayo

You May Also Like

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by fratermathy(m): 4:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
Goodboiyy Ayo
Omo Iwerre Dede!!! Ogiame Suoooo........!!!

Emo Urhobo Waddddooooooooo!

Nice one.

Here's a thread on the Urhobo people: https://www.nairaland.com/2656600/various-dialects-urhobo-language-where

lalasticlala, ishilove, farano, seun I don catch una this time. Make I see how una go escape this one because if it happens, I'd know tribalism is reeking over NL.

@Freemanan @Freeemanan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by ladyF(f): 4:16pm On Oct 20, 2015
Interesting
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by fratermathy(m): 4:18pm On Oct 20, 2015
To add more to this:

Urhobos and Itsekiris were both influenced by Edo so much that even their traditional system of monarchy is like that of the Edo.

Urhobos and Itsekiris have the largest spectrum of literates in Delta State, especially the Itsekiris!

Itsekiris and Urhobos dress alike.

Itsekiris and Urhobos LOVE LAND and always have feuds over it but no matter what, they cannot avoid being neighbours.

Itsekiris that stay in Warri Metropolis are mainly bilinguals. They can almost always speak or, at least, understand Urhobo.

Itsekiris have more light skinned people than Urhobos. grin. This is mainly because the Itsekiris were open to the Portuguese while the Urhobos were running away from them.

Itsekiris and Urhobos are VERY welcoming to Strangers!!! They can go an extra mile to make sure strangers are happy.

The first Itsekiri man to go to school is also the first NIGERIAN to become a University Graduate. His name is Dom Domingos. He graduated from Coimbra University in Portugal in the 15th century. His moniker was Atuwatse I.

The First Urhobo graduate is M. Ejaife who studied in London in the 1940s.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Djicemob: 4:25pm On Oct 20, 2015
Itsekiris are dangerous cooks,let an itsekiri woman cook for you and you are literally in soup...You might end up marrying her. grin

Sex is another great weapon of the itsekiri women grin

Beauty is another thing again. cool

Urhobo na dem be waist,their backside can make you run into a pole...Am not sure about their face tho,they have a sizable number of ugly girls with heavy OKOMBO!!!

Urhobo peeps are hardworking and rugged.

An urhobo girl can truthfully love you with all her heart,might and resources but most itsekiri would end up loving you cos of the green(Them no like suffer at all) cool

2 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 20, 2015
fratermathy:
To add more to this:

Urhobos and Itsekiris were both influenced by Edo so much that even their traditional system of monarchy is like that of the Edo.

Urhobos and Itsekiris have the largest spectrum of literates in Delta State, especially the Itsekiris!

Itsekiris and Urhobos dress alike.

Itsekiris and Urhobos LOVE LAND and always have feuds over it but no matter what, they cannot avoid being neighbours.

Itsekiris that stay in Warri Metropolis are mainly bilinguals. They can almost always speak or, at least, understand Urhobo.

Thanks for your contributions man.. that Tym don pass wen 1 Old greedy Chief go they ginger us to kill our Brothers.. During the warri Crisis how many of the said chief Lost there Children, Even the K***.. abeg I nor 1 mention names.

Let's promote the peace and culture of our People..
I Rep Urhobo.

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 20, 2015
Djicemob:
Itsekiri are dangerous cooks,let an itsekiri woman cook for and you are literally in soup...You might end up marrying her

#Biggrin.. Taste there soup and starch you feet run mad.. Lolz..
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by onuwaje(m): 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2015
Omiwere Dede mokiaghan

Aghan buse o

Irami mokiaghan aghan memi aghan ni oritse o

Representing my parents

My mom is from arhavwarien in ughelli south
My dad is from Omadino in warri south

Itsekiri kadaa
Urhobo ovuovo!!

2 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Djicemob: 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2015
onuwaje:
Omiwere Dede mokiaghan

Aghan buse o

Irami mokiaghan aghan memi aghan ni oritse o

Representing my parents

My mom is from arhavwarien in ughelli south
My dad is from Omadino in warri south

Itsekiri kadaa
Urhobo ovuovo!!
Bokuo! Omere.
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by onuwaje(m): 4:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
Djicemob:
Bokuo! Omere.

Mowinor

Bokor wogha?
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by FREEEMANAN(m): 6:52pm On Oct 20, 2015
Very good one Mate...

Mr Fratermathy I saw your column on Vanguard! Bravo

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2015
Seun , Lalasticlala.. abeg help us promote our Unity.. pls.. this thread is from of Hate speeches or comment.

The aim of these thread is to tighten the bond b/w both tribes.. Lalasticlala do consider we the minority.

Thanks
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by rocoh(m): 8:32am On Oct 21, 2015
GREAT URHOBO AND ITSEKIRI PEOPLE . I LOVE my Country. There is unity in diversity , lets embrace our diversity. I love all Nigerians irrespective of tribe or religion. I belong to the school of thought which believes that no culture is superior , but every culture is a reflection of the adaptation of a people to their unique environment. I hate tribes being referred to as minority in their own country. The word Minority should become Anathema to us. Instead of calling people minority , the words Widely Dispersed and Non Widely Dispersed tribes should be used, this is less offensive in my own reasoning. If to say na only my tribe dey Nigeria (in tuface voice) there will be no Edio(Urhobo) , no Chidinma(igbo), no Omeiza(Igbirra), no hausa, no ejagham, no edo , no Angas, no Igala, no Idoma , no Jukun, No Gwari , No Dakakari ,no Langtang ...... the list is endless. GOD I THANK YOU I AM A NIGERIAN. NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN. AMEN. wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by FREEEMANAN(m): 11:36am On Oct 21, 2015
grin
fratermathy:
Goodboiyy Ayo
Omo Iwerre Dede!!! Ogiame Suoooo........!!!

Emo Urhobo Waddddooooooooo!

Nice one.

Here's a thread on the Urhobo people: https://www.nairaland.com/2656600/various-dialects-urhobo-language-where

lalasticlala, ishilove, farano, seun I don catch una this time. Make I see how una go escape this one because if it happens, I'd know tribalism is reeking over NL.

@Freemanan @Freeemanan
Chei
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 1:09pm On Oct 21, 2015
Goodboiyy:
1. There Is no Family in Itsekiri without any Urhobo Lineage (All Itsekiri are one way or the Other connected to Urhobo only Few re connected to Ilaje ).

Haa Ayo! ... this one na lie o.
There are plenty Itsekes without any Urhobo lineage. Go to Jakpa near Ilaje and Ese Odo LGA's.

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 21, 2015
scholes0:

There are plenty Itsekes without any Urhobo lineage. Go to Jakpa near Ilaje and Ese Odo LGA's.

That was the same guy who said Ilajes are not Yorubas
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 1:21pm On Oct 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

He will learn with time sir smiley
We all learn all the time. Meanwhile I salute All Itsekiri and Urhobo people on the thread.
I twale for una. God bless Delta state.

By the way, my Itseke goons can listen to this young aspiring rapper for some chillaxing.

Mo ka "rap" bi Itsekiri ( I rap like in Itsekiri)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhORz0hCASQ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 21, 2015
scholes0:

Hmm.. Am not talking about the Itsekiri In Ondo, Those ones are more Connected To Ilaje, But Almost all Itsekiri in Delta State are related To Urhobo... The reason I cant Explain...

Seun, Lalasticlala, Abeg help us promote our Ministry.. abeg abeg. Thanks
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 22, 2015
Seun , Lalasticlala Good morning, How far na, this post never still reach FP ?.. Wenti they sup na.. We loyal oo..
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Hey Mr. my view about Ilaje is my personal Opinion.. The Ilaje's I have always come in contact with always tell me they re Ilaje not Yoruba, but wen I came to NL , It was a different tin Entirely, now wondering if NL is different from Real Life. But all the same am sorry if that Annoys you.. my Apologies.

I hold nothing Against Yoruba.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by aljharem(m): 9:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Hey Mr. my view about Ilaje is my personal Opinion.. The Ilaje's I have always come in contact with always tell me they re Ilaje not Yoruba, but wen I came to NL , It was a different tin Entirely, now wondering if NL is different from Real Life. But all the same am sorry if that Annoys you.. my Apologies.
I hold nothing Against Yoruba.
Thanks.

oga you experience is a very strange one. I am in warri and all ilaje I have met here even indigenous ilaje ALWAYS claim ilaje is yoruba.

BTW I am awori-egun. We can meet up and I will take you to ilajes here in Effurun claiming yoruba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by aljharem(m): 9:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
Moreover itsekiris have made it clear that there is no niger-delta Republic rubbish. Either they go with edo ( thus they prefer edo to niger-delta) or yoruba.

Just Google it
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 10:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
aljharem:
Moreover itsekiris have made it clear that there is no niger-delta Republic rubbish. Either they go with edo ( thus they prefer edo to niger-delta) or yoruba.

Just Google it

They can be pacified if some of the other ethnic groups in the region stop dragging their warri with them....
Abeg, I no wan divert thread oo.....
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by aljharem(m): 10:24pm On Oct 26, 2015
Even apoi- ijaws claim yoruba not to talk if ilaje

even some itsekiris claim yoruba so what is this Goodboiyy saying.

Bros watch yourself oh
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by aljharem(m): 10:29pm On Oct 26, 2015
scholes0:

They can be pacified if some of the other ethnic groups in the region stop dragging their warri with them....

don't mind them. This urhobo think they are smart and na them dey born pikin like rat.

I know itsekiris and have itsekiris members, they are more yoruba than any urhobo.

itsekiris are bilingual but to yoruba not to urhobo. You rarely see itsekiris speak urhobo but fine urhobo speak itsekiri and even yoruba so what is op talking about.

stop the misinformation

ok do itsekiris say migwo? no

they ku owuro which is good morning
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by fratermathy(m): 10:39pm On Oct 26, 2015
aljharem:

don't mind them. This urhobo think they are smart and na them dey born pikin like rat.

I know itsekiris and have itsekiris members, they are more yoruba than any urhobo.

itsekiris are bilingual but to yoruba not to urhobo. You rarely see itsekiris speak urhobo but fine urhobo speak itsekiri and even yoruba so what is op talking about.

stop the misinformation

Oh Please! Must you be sentimental about everything. Talking as if your life depends on it.

This thread is to proclaim the unity of OUR people regardless of what they speak or not. Do not derail it over skirmishes.

Thank you
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by aljharem(m): 10:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
fratermathy:

Oh Please! Must you be sentimental about everything. Talking as if your life depends on it.

This thread is to proclaim the unity of OUR people regardless of what they speak or not. Do not derail it over skirmishes.

Thank you

I will leave but tell Goodboiyy to stop this no yoruba or ignore in delta state because in reality they are indigenous yoruba who are ilajes and indigenous igbos who are the delta igbos in delta state.

Also the itsekiris have more ssimilarity with ilajes, mahin, and aworis than urhobos. Similarities in dressing, language, culture, monarchy and way of life. The only similarity with itsekiris have with urhobo is food. All costal people from Lagos Island to bonny Island have the same dress style.

Also Goodboiyy has been showing some anti yoruba tendencies. He should watch it

if he needs to see ilaje people in warri claiming yoruba, I will show him.

if he needs to see itsekiris people claim them and yoruba are one I will show him.

in fact we have Opc in warri which is Oodua people's Congress.

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 6:11am On Oct 27, 2015
aljharem:

oga you experience is a very strange one. I am in warri and all ilaje I have met here even indigenous ilaje ALWAYS claim ilaje is yoruba.

BTW I am awori-egun. We can meet up and I will take you to ilajes here in Effurun claiming yoruba

Hey Mr. have been seeing you ranting on this Thread, But don't take things personal, I hold nothing against Yoruba.. Neither have I insulted your People.. Am Just stating fact.. I know many Ilaje's .. And most tells me they are Not Yoruba, Is it my fault ?.. Okay sorry for dragging Ilaje into this, But I can't mention itsekiri without Including Ilaje ..

Lalasticlala Good morning, We they watch ... sheybi this thread nor worth FP ?
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 27, 2015
scholes0:

I really don't like statements like that.. we have come a long way, As nobody now lay claims to warri cous it belongs to everybody (The big three's). thanks..

Really disappointed in most of u, I have never insulted Yoruba once, But most of ur people see me as enemy Why ?.. Should I lie because I want to please them ?
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 27, 2015
aljharem:
Even apoi- ijaws claim yoruba not to talk if ilaje

even some itsekiris claim yoruba so what is this Goodboiyy saying.

Bros watch yourself oh

I can't speak for all itsekiri, But @bolded I don't think so.. the itsekiri have always maintained they are Itsekiri and not Yoruba.. If any Itsekiri claims they are Yoruba then its for political Reasons (e.g Oritsefemi, Omawunmi) I even heard tiwa savage is itsekiri, But that will be Topic for another day, Although Yoruba see itsekiri as there kin and kith
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 27, 2015
all West Africans and Bantus in Africa that have E1B1A are the Real Hebrew Israelites in the Bible. we came from Israel. please click to this Facebook page :- https://m.facebook.com/e1b1ahaplogroupnation?__tn__=C . ask the Genetics Doctor, he will explain everything to you all . Shalom
Re: Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 27, 2015
aljharem:

stop the misinformation

Need I remind You that Am not 100% Urhobo ?.. Its not a matter of Urhobo.. just trying to build the unity Of Our People (Ijaw, Urhobo , Itsekiri)

Itsekiri don't need to speak Urhobo (We all know there language is more Yoruba ) for Urhobo to understand them, That y I said, Blood is thicker than water

Seun, Afam4ever, Lalasticlala oya do the needful na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chaii,, Otu Agugbuelem. / Why Is It Called Mother Tongue Instead Of Father Tongue / Japanese Names & African Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.