Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal (37334 Views)

Buhari Begs Saraki Not To Impeach Him For Pejury / Hilarious Captions Of Saraki In The Dock At Code Of Conduct Tribunal Photos / Saraki In The Dock At Code Of Conduct Tribunal — LIVE UPDATES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by olatade(m): 6:09am On Oct 22, 2015
There was drama at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) yesterday when Senate President Bukola Saraki refused to move into the dock when his case was called.

The dock is where those standing trial stay during proceedings.

Saraki’s refusal to leave his seat for the dock led to an argument between his lead counsel, Mahmud Magaji (SAN), and the prosecutor, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN).

Objecting to Saraki’s action, Jacobs said it was the practice for an accused “irrespective” of his status to enter the dock during his trial.

According to him, once an accused person’s plea is taken, he/she must always sit in the dock during proceedings.

“Things must be done properly. The proper thing is for him to go to the dock,” Jacobs said.

Magaji said there was no need for Saraki to enter the dock, citing Section 22(m) of the Evidence Act to buttress his submission.

But, tribunal Chairman Justice Danladi Umar overruled him, directing him to prevail on Saraki to do the right thing.

Shortly after Saraki moved into the dock, Jacobs sought an adjournment to enable the tribunal await the Court of Appeal’s judgment in the defendant’s appeal.  The appeal court on Monday adjourned the verdict sine die (indefinitely).

Jacobs also acknowledged receipt of a fresh motion for stay of proceedings filed by Saraki’s legal team.

He said although the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 frowns at a stay of proceedings in criminal cases, there was the need to await the appellate court’s verdict because it touches on the tribunal’s jurisdiction to further preside over the case.

A stay at this moment, he said, was reasonable in order to preserve the integrity of the court and of the legal profession.

Responding, Magaji, who had suggested an indefinite adjournment, said he would agree to the two-week adjournment suggested by Jacobs if the business of the court on the next date would be for parties to report the appeal court’s decision.

Magaji said it was necessary for him to remind the tribunal that his client’s trial was affecting his job as Senate President.

Jacobs objected to Magaji’s claim, saying the statement was intended to intimidate the tribunal.

“This is an intimidation of the tribunal. The defendant is a defendant. What is the essence of the rule of law?

He (Magaji) is saying that because the defendant is the Senate President.

“Are you saying he should not be treated like every other defendant, when the rule of law says even the king is subject to the law?” Jacobs said.

Ruling, Justice Umar said the tribunal would await the Court of Appeal’s judgment. He adjourned to November 5 for report of the appellate court’s decision and possibly, hearing of pending applications.

The tribunal, he said, would tarry a while in deference to the appellate court.

Saraki arrived at the tribunal around 9. 54 am, accompanied by some senators. The case was called at 10:45 am.

On September 22, Saraki pleaded not guilty to a 13-count charge of false asset declaration brought against him by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB).

He is querying the tribunal’s jurisdiction to try him at the appeal court.

Saraki is contending that the charge is defective, because it was not filed by a substantive Attorney General of the Federation and that the tribunal is not validly constituted because only two out of its constitutionally stipulated three members are currently sitting.

On October 8, the Justice MooreAdumein-led three-man panel of the Court of Appeal, sitting in Abuja granted accelerated hearing in Saraki’s appeal and promised to give judgment before his next appearance at the tribunal yesterday.

http://thenationonlineng.net/tribunal-drama-as-lawyer-begs-saraki-to-enter-dock/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by divinehand2003(m): 6:10am On Oct 22, 2015
Why is this Saraki scared of the DOCK like this. Does he want to play politics with the dock also in the court of law. He would have appealed at the court of appeal for a ruling that will allow him be in his succulent bedroom or swimming pool sipping zobo any time his case is going on at the CCT.
NONSENSE PEOPLE. YEYE DEY SMELL BIG TIME.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by wezegrim: 6:12am On Oct 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by SeverusSnape(m): 6:15am On Oct 22, 2015
Saraki is going no where.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by mickeyenglish(m): 6:20am On Oct 22, 2015
Shit! Dat guy thinks dat he's above d law... .

17 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by marshalcarter: 6:22am On Oct 22, 2015
Lolzzzzz.....na wa ooo....anyway.....pishures undecided
Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 22, 2015
Oh really?
Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by ladyF(f): 6:25am On Oct 22, 2015
Na wa! Nothing wey person no go see

#My#Opinion grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by deathmen12: 6:29am On Oct 22, 2015
Makers of law breaking the law. The country stil have a long way to go.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by fleshbone(m): 6:37am On Oct 22, 2015
Why would a defendant not want to get inside the dock?

There were no cameras as journalist were not allowed into the venue from what we learnt! I want to assume he was not afraid of being pictured in the dock and posted on front pages of the dailies again!

At first I was happy Saraki was in the CCT trap but now, I kinda feel for the dude!

He must be going through a lot.

Am sure he would have prefered the administration where STEALING was no CORRUPTION!

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by RoyalGreen(f): 6:39am On Oct 22, 2015
serious drama
Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by condralbede(m): 6:40am On Oct 22, 2015
Is he scared

Meanwhile today is my bday,plz show some love pals.

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by darkenrahl2(m): 6:40am On Oct 22, 2015
He no serious,why he steal our money in the first place

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by BALLOSKI: 6:44am On Oct 22, 2015
Saraki is too arrogant , even in the face of the law.
I like the way justice umar insisted that saraki must kiss the dock yesterday. He even made sure that saraki's counsel did not get the indefinate adjournment he asked for. What a brave judge.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:05am On Oct 22, 2015
According to him, once an accused person’s plea is taken, he/she must always sit in the dock during proceedings.

That has been my position... Saraki lawyers should have known we were no longer under the Useless Govt of Jonathan where "anything Goes".

31 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by ril19(m): 7:13am On Oct 22, 2015
Good to hear.

I hope the CCT continue in that same pattern. Make all the politicians who come before it pass through due process.

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by ORACLE1975(m): 7:19am On Oct 22, 2015
;DSaraki are u above the law never with all due respect we are all bound by the law so respect yourself next time.

Yeye

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by opalu: 7:22am On Oct 22, 2015
These politicians who came to power when they were in their twenties and thirties succeed in snatching several hours off the lives of today's youths. They end up arguing and quarrelling online and offline. Defending and attacking. Yet none of them ever knows us. Those of us who are known by them won't be remembered when you need them for something that benefits your own life.

In year 2004, I was seeking for a job to work on a project that is the headquarters of NCC. That circular high rise structure Obasanjo copied from China for Abuja. The Project Manager called Mr James Lee a Chinese with CCECC advised if I could get a note from a senator or Minister. Just to be an Engineer for the project!!
Straight I took bike from there (near Hilton) to Apo Legislative quarters just to meet my Senator.
I reached by Evening. The senator used his Mopol to beat me up. Surprisingly he was my father'father's bosom friend. He was the one that once took my dad and I to his house if not why would I visit his house in the first place?
Since then, I vowed not to expect anything from politicians. As God will have it, my determination to work on the NCC Hqtrs payed off. I got the job when I told them I was ready to work without pay. In addition that Senator was indicted in the Nduelumelu power probe and was jailed Under Yaradua.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by NinaArsenal(f): 7:26am On Oct 22, 2015
Stubborn man. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by jazinogold(m): 7:26am On Oct 22, 2015
hmm

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by kestolove95(m): 7:26am On Oct 22, 2015
Y will dey ask him to entr dock?...is he Igbo

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by emmabest2000(m): 7:27am On Oct 22, 2015
Hmmm ....

7 Likes

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by Mopolchi: 7:28am On Oct 22, 2015
Saraki wan claim big boy. e for hear ween if he no enter that dock.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by tonididdy(m): 7:29am On Oct 22, 2015
Only in 9ja

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by funmilade4real(m): 7:29am On Oct 22, 2015
Brb
Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by ibedun: 7:30am On Oct 22, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Saraki is going no where.

Think of your children. Do you want them to go nowhere in life?

The money and the resources stolen by Saraki for his family's use deprives the people of Kwara a decent human life.

Think above your hatred of Buhari. The consequences of letting this criminal off the hook is beyond our comprehension.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by Dannyset(m): 7:30am On Oct 22, 2015
Saraki has seen that his first Lawyer, Hassan(SAN), na olodo that can't defend him very well, so he reshuffled him with this other SAN that is headstrong. Hehehehehe!
But this FG Counsel, Jacobs(SAN), mean Saraki ooo! If he later go enter Saraki trap in the nearest future, baba go do am strong thing oo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyer Begs Saraki To Enter Dock At The Tribunal by Innodon(m): 7:30am On Oct 22, 2015
Begging??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fela Durotoye Gets Range Rover From Mentees For 50th Birthday (Pix, Video) / NLC 2-day Nationwide Protest (photos) / Oluwatogun-Olunleye, Soldier Beheaded By Boko Haram In Baga, Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.