Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard (41159 Views)

Nigeria Hires US Oracle Corp & Microsoft Corp To Save Costs & Fight Corruption / South-West Sends Mercenaries To Other Parts Of Nigeria To Fight – Akpabio / Hassan Umoru, New Commander To Battle Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by ayindejimmy(m): 9:29pm On Oct 22, 2015
VANGUARD AGAIN?!
This newspaper is becoming the AIT of print media
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by jurjur: 9:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
Diegobonito:
Chukwu okike abiama please let bokoharam finish those mercenaries, as Nigeria is holding biafra, let Nigeria be cursed and bokoharam bomb 5 places in lagos and abuja tomorrow killing millions of people. Ise ise iseee
CHAII! SORRY OOO! BIKOZIENU NDOO OOO? Actually I attended ur entire family's burial. Quite un4tunate. I learnt it's d gateman dat killed ur pregnant mother wen she told him she is carrying his baby wich got ur drunk father angry dat he had 2 shoot ur 8 step sisters frm 8dfrnt father & mother. U & dat ur elder brother dat has leprosy survived it cus u were still admited @ d psychiatric hospital
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Honesty007(m): 9:46pm On Oct 22, 2015
Omg, i feel like crying!!! What a pity.Is it not the same PMB who condemned a 6 weeks war that almost finished the bokoharam menance? Assuming GEJ didn't politicicze the issue,BH would have long be gone. Assuming Nigeria didn't terminate the contract with south African Mercs we would have won the war against bokoharam.I am saddened.
#never again must security become politicized#

Bokoharam became a long drawn plan right from OIC in the 80s and a well orchestrated long time plan would take hard to defeat, but with God all things are possibile.
Lord have mercy on Nigeria.Christians failed to listen to prophetic warnings about a future BH in the past. They thought by winning and dinning with moslems it would bring peace.But Now its a bitter lesson as disunited christians are facing a well organised foe
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by agaugust: 10:07pm On Oct 22, 2015
alcmene:
Nigeria has hired mercenaries to combat Boko Haram as military chiefs face a December deadline to crush the militants, according to senior military sources.

Turkish news agency, Anadolu Agency, reports that the mercenaries, estimated at around 250 personnel and hired from South Africa-based private contractor Specialized Tasks, Training, Equipment and Protection (STTEP), are being deployed along with fighter jets in Operation Fire Force, a source at Nigeria’s defense headquarters said on condition of anonymity.

“The mercenaries have been reengaged and their platforms are being deployed,” the source said. “By platforms, I mean fighter jets, helos [helicopters], coms [communication], surveillance, medics, etc.”

STTEP includes veterans from the South African apartheid era who will work with and train a Nigerian strike force, according to the source.

Another army source confirmed the development to Anadolu Agency. “There is definitely something happening in that direction,” the source said, again on condition of anonymity.

According to STTEP’s official website, the company’s trainers and advisers are drawn from “conventional, clandestine, and covert units of the pre-1994 South African Defense Force”.

It claims to have a proven track record of success in Africa, the Middle East, the Far East and Central and South America.

Describing the use of mercenaries to fight militants as “shameful” during the March 2015 election campaign, Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the practice. Buhari, a retired general, said the practice represented the depth of weakness of the Nigerian army.

Asked why the Buhari administration is again deploying mercenaries, the defense HQ source said it appeared to be the most practical option if headway was to be made against militants whose guerilla tactics are new to the Nigerian military.

Nigeria claimed significant success against the militants in the run-up to the March election, with some analysts crediting the mercenaries.

Boko Haram threat

Boko Haram has emerged as a serious threat in Nigeria. More than 1,700 people have been killed since Buhari took office on May 29, according to an Oct. 7 report from the International Society for Civil Liberties and the Rule of Law. Since then, more than 100 have died in suicide bombings in Borno and Yobe states.

According to the army HQ source, the Buhari administration initially terminated the mercenary contract because it was “opaque and without accountability”. However, a new agreement was reached to boost the counterinsurgency operation.

“As it stands now, huge amounts of monies are owed to the contractors as fulfillment for the previous engagement,” the HQ source added. “So they are starting a new engagement for an initial period of three months. As for their outstanding balances, investigations are being carried out to ensure everything is above board.”

The Nigerian military did not respond to Anadolu Agency’s request for comment.

However, presidential spokesman Garba Shehu denied the government was engaging mercenaries again.

“It is true that the previous administration hired South African mercenaries to fight Boko Haram,” he said. “They, however, left with the government that brought them.”

“Since coming into office, this government did not have any engagement with mercenaries of any kind and there are no plans to do so.”

Siphiwe Dlamini, a spokesman for the South African National Defense Force (SANDF), said his country did not have any troops in Nigeria but could not say if private mercenaries were operating there.

“I wish to reiterate there are no SANDF personnel in Nigeria fighting Boko Haram,” he told Anadolu Agency. “If there are South Africans who are there as you allege they are not our members but private citizens.”

“I cannot comment on what private citizens are doing in any part of the world.”

STTEP did not respond to emailed requests for comment.

Earlier this year, South Africa’s Defense Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula issued a stern warning to South African mercenaries, saying they had no business in Nigeria and should be arrested on their return.

“Now that the matter has been brought to our attention, it is [up to us] to verify that information as the government,” she told broadcaster SABC at the time. “The police have a responsibility to make sure that when they come back these people are arrested.”

South African law forbids its citizens from participating in foreign wars. Most South African mercenaries are believed to be soldiers who fought for the apartheid regime.

Impending campaign

The Nigerian army has spoken about impending military deployments against Boko Haram, saying in a statement over the weekend that the country’s sovereignty was under threat.

“The next few days would be crucial to the operation Lafiya Dole [Peace by Force],” army chief Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai said in a message to troops. “It is also crucial to our country Nigeria. Our sovereignty as a nation is threatened.”

“The Nigerian army and indeed the military as the symbol of our nationhood is being challenged. Our ability to stand and defeat the Boko Haram terrorists in the next few weeks will determine the future of our country.”

The use of mercenaries is not a new phenomenon in Nigeria’s conflicts. Hundreds of French mercenaries fought on the side of Biafran rebels against the Nigerian army in the late 1960s.

However, recall that President Muhammadu Buhari recently gave a December deadline to the military to end the insurgency ravaging the north-east.

But in a dramatic u-turn last Monday, Service Chiefs told the President that their effort to completely rout out Boko Haram insurgents in the insurgency-ravaged region, may not be feasible after all, as it was being threatened by weather and logistics.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/dec-deadline-again-nigeria-hires-mercenaries-to-battle-boko-haram/

[size=13pt] False News !!! [/size]

The above story is a big lie, that photo is NOT Nigerian army.

CEO of STTEP South Africa Col. Eeben Barlow has spoken....

"Eeben says:

October 22, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Hello All,

Sadly Rafiu Ajakaye needs to generate a story but this one is devoid of all truth.
And then they have the gall to call us ‘mercenaries’.
STTEP has NOT been asked to return to Nigeria and we very much doubt we will be asked to return. We did what we could in our 3 months there and that is long over.

I am amazed at how so-called journalists are able to generate utter rubbish and get paid.
Best wishes to you all and especially the men of 72 Mobile Strike Force, 7 Infantry Division.
Rgds,

Eeben"

https://beegeagle./2015/10/20/multinational-joint-task-force-commences-operations-against-bokoharam-participating-contingents-to-operate-in-their-home-countries/#comment-98941

# StopSpeadingRumours

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Panzerfaust(m): 10:12pm On Oct 22, 2015
godoluwa:
APC e-rat no1
Your father is a rat. Ediot.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by naijaking1: 10:13pm On Oct 22, 2015
alcmene:
I thought he lambasted GEJ for seeking foreign assistance to curb bokoharam menace

Only dogs take back its vomit.

Buhari can thus be likened to a dog

Not just a dog, but a brainless dog whose policy has caused the loss of more than 1700 lives since taking office.
Nigeria must hold Buhari accountable for these myopic politically expedient policies.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by princejayboss: 10:19pm On Oct 22, 2015
menix:
Fork serpent!!!....

Re u saying we hired from South Africa nd yet we call ourself Giant of Africa..

Shame to Nigeria..

Infact illuminatti thunder fire all presidents who have contributed to making Nigerian military Amateurs...

Nigeria is a giant of Africa on the papers cos of our over population..... Nigeria should be bigger than Russia in population yet Russia does the unimaginable.....

We have no military from the moment the military serves some part of the country better, Nigerian military has a stipulated height that you be before you join but it's not observed for some just to prove that they are the owners of Nigeria......

During a very special test of a surface to sea missile delivery system being developed to be compatible with F-15 A and 22 raptor, I was part of the nuclear/electronics physicists in the team of engineers invited by McDonnell Douglas company (boeing defense, space and security company)...... When we got there, on the course of our work, found out that South African government ordered 70 pcs of F-15, not just that.... They are modifying the radar system..... I was so happy for my African root .... I was so impressed with the south African government. ..... I even confirmed they have orders from Russia too.

We as Nigerians we often believe that the Nigerian army are good on ground operations... Say who.... Who in this 21 century does ground operations without a very vibrant air force..... Our air force still snap photos with photon jets, often used for air training by the IDF, We are busy allowing our military generals to grow pot belly ... ... We continuously allow our military operate as a joint taskforce with the police.. What do you expect?

Coming to boko Haram.... Mr president proved to be outdated in the modern warfare and he has confused his vision with lies.... Besides I don't see why Nigeria can defeat BH, considering the number of northern brothers in the military.... Unless we engage them with non northerners' or foreign mercenaries we can not get it right as most army generals sell out coordinates even before operation starts.

Think of it ... Wiping BH is no big deal if the north cane be sincere to themselves and if the government can forget the dependency on the the US and face Russia for electronic weapon.....

With electronic warfare .... All we need is to employ the services of a foreign mercenaries just like GEJ did, with surveillance and near perfect coordinates we can be able to triangulate their strong hoods and camps in sambisa forest.... Then station an electronic tanks (surface to surface capabilities tanks ) to a close radius, with the coordinates, we can nuke the dam strong hood to ground zero, the send in F-15A (air to surface capabilities) or just two A-10 which can fly low and wipe them out.... The rest is the job of the ground troops.

Though this can be realistic if the northern brothers are sincere ... Cos almost every home over there protects one or two terrorist.

Finally the day Nigerians will understand the mistake they did with this man they elected as president that day maybe too late.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by jelal007(m): 10:26pm On Oct 22, 2015
Rubbish post 4rm an online blogger to create controversy online. The army has an official mouthpiece and they've not said anything about such. Besides, STTEP was here to train our troops and the impact of the training was immediately felt. Google 72 mobile strike force and see for yourself. Mercenaries my foot. How can 250 people defeat BH? Yeyeh dey smell.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by godoluwa(m): 10:39pm On Oct 22, 2015
Panzerfaust:
Your father is a rat. Ediot.
ti baba re ko ni sunwon
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by stokfrick: 10:51pm On Oct 22, 2015
My friend, stop spewing trash! What's so commendable about the fact that bihari has refused to use his brain or that Nigerians have chosen to be brainwashed of their common sense that instead of mounting pressure on the government to get rid of their sponsors who they already know, they choose to commend and encourage the govt. to keep going after them boko boys, wasting our limited resources amisdst our prevailing economic crisis. Common sense is indeed not common.
The consequences are not far fetched. Some of us are already paying with our dear lives. Until we insist that the sponsors be fished out and eliminated, this threat to our national security will only get worse cos these book guys are already everywhere other than the north! And for those who care to know and act promptly just watch your back cos in other states they now disguise as Fulani herdsmen!
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Godwinfriz(m): 11:00pm On Oct 22, 2015
terible dis country is moving backward
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by chimauk(m): 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2015
Diegobonito:
Chukwu okike abiama please let bokoharam finish those mercenaries, as Nigeria is holding biafra, let Nigeria be cursed and bokoharam bomb 5 places in lagos and abuja tomorrow killing millions of people. Ise ise iseee
u dey madt?I dey lagos o
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Eluwilussit(m): 11:14pm On Oct 22, 2015
alcmene:
I thought he lambasted GEJ for seeking foreign assistance to curb bokoharam menace

If this news is true, he cannot be likened to a dog. He is a dog. Toothless old soldier. I knew it was late Tunde Idiagbon that gave Buhari the little bite he had. Age has taken its toll on whatever that was left in our general. Dude is bereft of ideas. Unfortunately, most of the idiiots who weren't there in his first coming, refused to listen. cheesy

Now, is there anyone out there who is still in any form of doubt that we have been scammed? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 22, 2015
adioolayi:
I was part of those that condemned GEJ lead administration when we heard that SouthAfrican machineries were engaged in for bokoharam... Now PMB lead administration is doing so too....This means Nigeria Army is not capable of fighting Bokoharam.....Our defense as a Nation is finished!
We are not safe!
I say sorry for ridiculing GEJ administration "On this particular issue"
nice one bruv,u a real man for admitin u made a mistake for ridiculin GEJ.only men do that.much respect.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Eluwilussit(m): 11:18pm On Oct 22, 2015
chimauk:
u dey madt?I dey lagos o

Na only madt? The guy sef, make God forgive him for such a silly prayer.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by DeGenius3(m): 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
alcmene:

you are on point. I have made up my mind NEVER
to believe this government no matter what they do.
they are bunch of hypocrites and BIG TIME LIARS.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by DedeNkem: 11:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
Why do we have the army and police?

If our army is incapable to fight war, disband it and employ American and British generals to create a new formidable army!

The present "Army" we've now is an abysmal failure!
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by ifyan(m): 11:28pm On Oct 22, 2015
I keep asking myself this question ?

Is APC in any competition with the DEVIL.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2015
amazingspiderma:

Five non partisan women who were acommplished in their individual careers before they were appointed to serve the country.
Does it occur to you that most of the people that served with GEJ are in[b] better placed positions just 6 months after his tenure[/b].That is a testimony in itself.
On the contrary PMB ministerial list is filled with party members and not technocrats,mostly people who campaigned for him.
People who have no life outside politics or APC.
The only true technocrats in that list are from the 5% region,and they all have individual personal accomplishmment before now.
It is just surprising that the 95% could not produce any technocrats in the ministerial list.

A candid observation.
bruv no mind all this apc bigots dey won't hear or bliv.I sometimes wonder if dey hav been druged oooo,
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by godwin120alex: 11:40pm On Oct 22, 2015
Hahahahah@@PMB
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by omolami: 11:44pm On Oct 22, 2015
its a shame that buhari's northan nigerian army cannot defeat bokoharam terrorists. Buhari not only seeking help from our immediate neighbours but now recruiting mercenaries to fight alon with our solfiers. What a commander in Chief indeed. Mumu Commander
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Miaraka: 2:52am On Oct 23, 2015
You will never defeat Boko Haram, if you think they are only located in certain bases, including the Sambisa forest. They are embedded among you, maybe even in the army itself. They are as versatile as any guerrilla army should be and are motivated by religion and use it to recruit manpower and raise funds.When you push them out of the Sambisa, they appear in Abuja. The only way to defeat them is to understand that you need to win the hearts and minds of Nigerians, first and foremost, thereby reinforcing the Nigerian army by denying Boko Haram any chance of getting support from among the people, particularly Moslems and Christians who love money (BH has lots of money). In short, swallow your pride and ask for help from Angola, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe. They know exactly what to do. South Africa are good at mass mobilization (you need every Nigerian citizen to play a role, however small, even just to pray) and urban guerrilla tactics which BH is also using, Zimbabweans are particularly good at rural guerrilla warfare, Mozambique is very good at fighting and defeating terrorists who are trained and supported by a foreign country. THE FIGHT AGAINST BH IS 80% POLITICAL AND ONLY 20% MILITARY. Unless you fully understand that and internalize it and take the logical decicion and action, you will continue suffer serious casualties and BH will become stronger and stronger. And please, save yourself a heart attack. Don't put deadlines on this one ( if you do, keep them secret) because terrorists and their tactics will frustrate, demoralize and weaken your army. Remember, you're fighting terrorists and they are using guerrilla tactics. Guerilla tactics make a strong and efficient army useless, especially if you don't understand that their Sambisa is the people. While you are busy buying military hardware just be aware you could also be buying it for BH.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Borderless: 3:08am On Oct 23, 2015
SirWere:
You guys keep getting it wrong................. Apc criticized GEJ not PMB

You're indeed sir were.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by ayindejimmy(m): 3:37am On Oct 23, 2015
Nigeria does not need mercenaries in its fight against Boko Haram, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said yesterday.

thenationonlineng.net/dhq-no-mercenaries-for-fight-against-boko-haram/
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by proffour: 4:13am On Oct 23, 2015
that is beautiful
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by fortune1968: 5:41am On Oct 23, 2015
Diegobonito:
your hearth will kill you !
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by ojnnaco(m): 5:44am On Oct 23, 2015
alcmene:

Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by SeverusSnape(m): 6:15am On Oct 23, 2015
Adminisher:

This story is FALSE. Stop being clueless. God bless Jonathan for what? Please think before you post. The man was sleeping on duty as President being controlled by 5 women while his enemies were plotting and Nigeria'should enemies were killing . The slackest leader ever after Nero of Rome. Please if you are a man you better not pray for that character.
The stupid_ fool who took after GEJ, how well has he fared?... So you don't believe this news, But if it was during the time of Jonathan, you would have taken it hook, line, and sinker. grin

Hypocrite. Zombie.
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by MizFrances(f): 6:31am On Oct 23, 2015
FREEDOM4BIAFRA:

For real...

What's your name?
Frances
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by MizFrances(f): 6:32am On Oct 23, 2015
Diegobonito:
Stupidity at its peak
Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by olokpa11(m): 6:41am On Oct 23, 2015
vodkat:

Publish anything on the Internet and nigerians beleive it just like magas believe Sani a Bacha left 20 bn dollars in act available for transfer
I was opportuned to read a debrief on the effects of the strike team, and trust me, I totally understood why we were not making headway with our fight against boko haram using conventional tactics, These South african guys were crucial in chasing them back because a strike team is like a dagger, always probing and chasing the enemy into the hands of the on-coming army, a strike team is invisible until they strike( exactly the way boko haram operate) it was due to the strike teams effort that boko haram was confined to sambissa forest.If u ask me,i would say buhari was wrong to terminate their contracts before they finished training our soldiers on unconventional warfare. My own two kobo.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria ‘Hires Mercenaries’ To Battle Boko Haram - Vanguard by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 23, 2015
MizFrances:

Frances

I'll love to send you a PM, please, let me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Speaks On Niger-Delta Avengers (video) / Soldiers Celebrate Christmas With Their Guns At A Church In Borno. Photos / How Allison Madueke Worked With Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.