Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,581 members, 7,812,899 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (298) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (667922 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 11:22pm On Nov 22, 2015
laudate:

Hello, the name Oshodi in Yoruba, is the same as the family name Oshodin in Benin. I do not know if they are related, but it started out as a chieftaincy title in the old days. The current Oshodin of Benin is Chief Dan Ize-Iyamu.

The former VC of university of Benin is Prof. Osayuki Godwin Oshodin. So members of that family bear the name as a surname, even though it started out as a chieftaincy title. Like I said earlier, I cannot tell if the Oshodi family in Yorubaland is related to the Oshodin of Benin. There was a lot of interaction between Benin and Lagos in the old pre-colonial days, and nobody knows if one of the sons of the late Chief Oshodi Tapa ended up moving to Benin to settle there. But it would be interesting to explore this link.

Oshodi is Tapa and not Bini.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:30pm On Nov 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Shymm3x sometimes I wish we had a mod who could help us clean things up

I was thinking of having a military wing on this thread to ward-off intrudersgrin cheesy

And of course you,Tupacshakur,Scatterboss will be in charge of that department grin

But the Yoruba mods are not showing us love sad

Lool.

Don't worry, the undefeated conquering Ijebu naval forces gat this.

We pummel flat headed creatures so bad, we turn the flat heads into cubical heads, with big bumps. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 22, 2015
[size=15pt]Amosun presents 2016 budget Tuesday[/size]

Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun state will on Tuesday, November 24 present the 2016 Appropriation bill to the State House of Assembly.

In a release signed by the Clerk of the State House of Assembly, Mr. Muyiwa Adenopo, would take place at the Assembly chambers, Oke Mosan, Abeokuta by 10 a.m.

The budget presentation which is the fifth by the governor since assumption of office in 2011, remains one of the major responsibilities of the executive in the preparation of the yearly appropriation bill to be approved by the Legislature.

The State House of Assembly had within the last five years passed the yearly appropriation bill by the end of December .

Guests,including top government functionaries,traditional,religious and political leaders and other stakeholders are enjoined to be seated at 9: 30 am, according to the statement.

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/11/amosun-presents-2016-budget-tuesday/

Shymm3x we need a topic
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:
foyeks2001

My Osun sister, when are you going to bless this thread and form a bond with ya Osun brothers like: superstar1, zimoni, 9jacrip, tupacshakur, et al?

We need more females in here to spice things up.

I wonder where in Osun she is from though.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Well, it could never have been a tiger. Tigers are found only in Asia (Siberia, Indian subcontinent, China, South and Southeast Asia).

Regarding the history of the Ilajes, I can not say I am conversant with it so much apart from what I learnt while mingling with the old men. We left Abe-Alala my village for Lagos in around 1974 to join my father in Ogudu. And my father died in 1984, so the elders meeting was no longer held. And I have been out of Nigeria more than 20 years. The last time I was in Igbokoda was 2012, so I cannot claim to be an authority in Ilaje history.

A lot has changed, and still changing in Ondo South senatorial district. However, successive Ondo state governments have been lacking in foresight regarding the strategic importance of the town of Ore. Ore should be a cash cow for Ondo state if the state could develop that town and encourage leisure business there.

As for Okitipupa, I couldn't recognize Okitipupa again. Agagu tried in that regard. Okitipupa has grown big, and almost every street tarred. Okitipupa was barely a town when I went there in 1990, but has surpassed Ore in a matter of 22 years. Igbokoda is ok, but could do better.

Ekun oko mmee (goats). What wild cat could have be fond of hunting goats in settlements?

Amotekun and Ekun both look alike so I buy into your logic.

Sorry about your pops. You should dig up your ancestral history if you ever develop an interest in it.

I was in Ondo for the past 2 days, Owo to be precise but the drive through Akure to Owo was a great experience. As an oil producing state, it should do better though.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:57pm On Nov 22, 2015
9jacrip:

I wonder where in Osun she is from though.

Loool

My doozy, 9jacrip, is also trying to pick one for himself. grin

You better don't get the married women curse like tupacshakur.

I'm coming, let me ask the gods..... lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 12:00am On Nov 23, 2015
Guys, can you remember the myth bursting series of last year, courtesy of MythBurster?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:04am On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:
Guys, can you remember the myth bursting series of last year, courtesy of MythBurster?

I believe Mayoroflagos started it and, MythBuster, decided to make it a series.

The threads and handle got swept away by NL's mishap. lipsrsealed

Nice series tho.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:04am On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
9jacrip It's about the meaning of Akata oo.Is the Akata Black-Americans are referred to the same as the one in Sango's Oriki?

Tupacshakur na una sure pass.If no be una,ko sa ni de 200.

In Baba Hafusa's voice I say Big-ups to Shymm3x,Ilekehd,Modath,Zimoni ate yin te ti n gbo wa tipetipe grin cheesy 1,2,3 4,5,6,7,8,9...294

Oti ye e.... Ese elenu grin

We need the support grin grin cheesy

I really do not think the 'akata' term is derogatory and I do not think it has anything to do with any wild cat(s) as well.

Akata yeri yeri in baba's oriki will have to be decoded first before we can draw any connections.

Baba is hot tempered, yeri yeri is an emphasis of something being hot or rash. Akata being rash/hot - are foxes/panthers rash?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 12:06am On Nov 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

I believe Mayoroflagos started it and, MythBuster, decided to make it a series.

The threads and handle got swept away NL's mishap. lipsrsealed

Nice series tho.

Yeah, Mayoroflagos started it.

It was very informative, factual and it actually shed more light on all the lies of those clowns across the Niger.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:09am On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

Yeah, Mayoroflagos started it.

It was very informative, factual and it actually shed more light on all the lies of those clowns across the Niger.

Definitely.

We all had mad fun.

The other side also put forward their "best" brains for pseudo-debates and loads of academic references were also posted.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:09am On Nov 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

Loool

My doozy, 9jacrip, is also trying to pick one for himself. grin

You better don't get the married women curse like tupacshakur.

I'm coming, let me ask the gods..... lipsrsealed

Naa I'm not; just wondering if she's Modakeke. I'm usually curious about how Modakeke folks see Ife people. I just have a general interest in how they think.

Plus their king sent me out of his palace last 2 months upon hearing my surname during a visit for an interview I needed to do for a research.

Any new Osun folk I run into often gets me interested in what part of the state they come from with hopes it id Modakeke.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

One of my uncles will surely be attending the festival

He hardly misses any of the Isese festivals

Really?

Would be nice to know who he is and if I should look out for him.

Seems like he's a traditionalist.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:11am On Nov 23, 2015
9jacrip:

Naa I'm not; just wondering if she's Modakeke. I'm usually curious about how Modakeke folks see Ife people. I just have a general interest in how they think.

Plus their king sent me out of his palace last 2 months upon hearing my surname during a visit for an interview I needed to do for a research.

Any new Osun folk I run into often gets me interested in what part of the state they come from with hopes it id Modakeke.

Hmmm...interesting. grin

Where's Ms. foyeks2001 - ya Osun brother wants to ask you pertinent questions.

Then again, a lot of these chics are too shy to come on the thread.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:11am On Nov 23, 2015
9jacrip:

I really do not think the 'akata' term is derogatory and I do not think it has anything to do with any wild cat(s) as well.

Akata yeri yeri in baba's oriki will have to be decoded first before we can draw any connections.

Baba is hot tempered, yeri yeri is an emphasis of something being hot or rash. Akata being rash/hot - are foxes/panthers rash?

Yes! shocked shocked shocked shocked Oya go talk to panther nau grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 12:12am On Nov 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

Definitely.

We all had mad fun.

The other side also put forward their "best" brains for pseudo-debates and loads of academic references were also posted.

By and large, NL is the number 1 social forum in Nigeria.

Despite all the tribal bigotry, it still remains a highly informative forum. Provided you are in politics, sports and culture, and not sexuality/romance.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:13am On Nov 23, 2015
modath:

Ilekehd ,

New page on moi!! tongue

Shakiti bobo *dances out of thread*

House,

It is looking like the Okun people are going to rule kogi or is there a lacuna to prevent that?

I dash you this one nau grin grin grin

How you dey jare?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 23, 2015
IlekeHD:

Yes! shocked shocked shocked shocked Oya go talk to panther nau grin

Lol!

E ma je kin talk to panther o, e jo o. Lol.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 23, 2015
9jacrip:

I agree with the emboldened as well and I mentioned that yesterday

Foxes are stereotyped as being cunning,cruel and intelligent
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:14am On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
[size=14pt]Oluseye Ogunlesi Reinterprets The Yoruba Concept Of ‘Ori’ With Geometric Figures & Faces[/size]

Nigerian-born creative Oluseye (Seye Ogunlesi) says his works combines his interest in Yoruba culture and geometry to explore universal themes of sexuality, spirituality, and identity. With his debut exhibition, he looks to deconstruct and reinterpret notions of Ori, the physical and metaphysical concept and term that translates literally to “head” in Yoruba. According to a press release, the series, now on view at Gallery 151 in New York City, sees the Toronto-based visual artist and designer create “a visual narrative in which concepts of identity & being, body & mind, sex & sexuality, the physical & spiritual are vital and fluid constituents of Ori

[img]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54b378a9e4b01fb03bf3b9e2/54f74429e4b0f00948dfab62/55882acee4b09925a6d67363/1446876886618/OLUSEYE+-+DELE+STUDIO+SHOT.png?format=750w[/img]

Gorgeous artwork display!

Is this in an exhibit?

I wish we could gather some african-based exhibits together. I would like to visit many of these sites around Jan.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:15am On Nov 23, 2015
9jacrip:

Lol!

E ma je kin talk to panther o, e jo o. Lol.

Lol maje ki eru ba e.

Se o raye ya awon aworan ti o promise mi?

@sh0llypopz

I see you homie.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:15am On Nov 23, 2015
superstar1:

By and large, NL is the number 1 social forum in Nigeria.

Despite all the tribal bigotry, it still remains a highly informative forum. Provided you are in politics, sports and culture, and not sexuality/romance.

Maybe back in the day.

These days, there's nothing on this forum - everything is basically just toxic.

However, this thread changed all that. At least we all get to learn new things everyday.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:16am On Nov 23, 2015
Sh0llypopz

Where in Ekiti is ya pops from?

And where's ya mum from? Something tells me ya mum is Igbo, alie? lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Sh0llypopz: 12:16am On Nov 23, 2015
Ah Ilekehd, why invite me to this thread? It looks like y'all are speaking in a foreign language. I do not know who these people are, I'm so clueless.

I can learn a thing or two from you, the taxi driver or others
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 23, 2015
9jacrip:

Really?

Would be nice to know who he is and if I should look out for him.

Seems like he's a traditionalist.

Yeah he is but baba na all round jor!

He's all over the place

Even on sallah gaan,baba dey go mosque grin cheesy

But I'll try asking him If he's okay with the idea of meeting you
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 23, 2015
Shymm3x:

Hmmm...interesting. grin

Where's Ms. foyeks2001 - ya Osun brother wants to ask you pertinent questions.

Then again, a lot of these chics are too shy to come on the thread.

Dr. Phil I see you there but it aint like that though LOL.

They don't have to by shy, we have the Iyalaje IlekeHD and Iyalode Modath, both Oloris holding it down - they can learn from or start off with interacting with both queens on the board. It isn't that hard.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:19am On Nov 23, 2015
9jacrip:

Dr. Phil I see you there but it aint like that though LOL.

They don't have to by shy, we have the Iyalaje IlekeHD and Iyalode Modath, both Oloris holding it down - they can learn from or start off with interacting with both queens on the board. It isn't that hard.

Lool.

Women don't interact like guys do.

Guys can go anywhere and mingle easily. But with chics, they tread with caution. lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 23, 2015
IlekeHD:

Gorgeous artwork display!

Is this in an exhibit?

I wish we could gather some african-based exhibits together. I would like to visit many of these sites around Jan.

Nooo 50 cent ni
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:19am On Nov 23, 2015
zimoni:
The Psycho is back, who invited her again?

It's great to catch up with the thread. I been have working on some wicked assignments from the HQ.

A month ago, Aare created this beautiful thread and I Zimoni Olorinla was the first person that commented.

This is the Best Thread In the History of NL.

I shall be posting about agricultural potentials in Yorubaland when I'm done with my assignments. Most of the food we eat are from the North and oversea. It shouldn't be so.

Sounds good!

Sh0llypopz:
Ah Ilekehd, why invite me to this thread? It looks like y'all are speaking in a foreign language. I do not know who these people are, I'm so clueless.
I can learn a thing or two from you, the taxi driver or others

LMAO Your language is foreign?

They're good people. You can add a bit to the discussion if you want.

Why did you leave nl and who invited you back? Your appearance is rather impromptu wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 23, 2015
IlekeHD:

Lol maje ki eru ba e.

Se o raye ya awon aworan ti o promise mi?

@sh0llypopz

I see you homie.

Rara iya mi. I have not gone there yet - heard the road is bad and it is far via the Ikire or Osogbo route so I passed word around to get someone in Osun State Univ there to get me shots of the building.

Mi o gbagbe rara, I will get the photos.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:19am On Nov 23, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Nooo 50 cent ni

Se o n binu simi ni? Haba kilode na?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:21am On Nov 23, 2015
MayorofLagos:
You see! What did I tell you? Biafrans and Ileke roll like garri and groundnut...if you had one you distress at not having the other. grin

Really? I'll let TOH know that you too old for her embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.