Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,554 members, 7,955,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:41 PM

Medical Student: Lets Meet. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical Student: Lets Meet. (22069 Views)

Unizik Loses 500Level Medical Student To Death After Gas Explosion / UNIZIK Medical Student Reading On The Altar / When You're A Medical Student In Esut. Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Kadata(m): 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2011
^^
I don't think an e-mail may get you the response in the time desired. One thing in Naija university system is that there is hierarchy. And the higher the hierarchy, the more likely it is that you'd get 'answers'. I'd give you two options--
option 1[/b]try to make contacts with medical students already in the system, say 300level+ , and ascertain whether it is obtainable for your school- and the conditions attached thereof. They may give you some info and you may likely proceed to step2.

[b]Step2

As you rightly said before, the registrar is a good place to start. If you get to see him , ask him about 'the necessary guidelines and conditions' concerning inter-university transfer, especially to the dept of Med&Surg. . This is because the rules always tend to differ or get stricter when Med&surg dept is concerned (as obtainable in my school). If he has the required information and gets you satisfied , then applause. If not , I'd advice you to proceed to the dept of Med&Surg and seek to see the MBBS co-ordinator or the head of department. This is where your patience would likely be necessary because it would. If you aren't able to see him/her as the case may be, then I'd advice you to look out for the Secretary to the College of Health Sciences.
Wish you goodluck.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Kadata(m): 5:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
^^
I don't think an e-mail may get you the response in the time desired. One thing in Naija university system is that there is hierarchy. And the higher the hierarchy, the more likely it is that you'd get 'answers'. I'd give you two options--
option 1[/b]try to make contacts with medical students already in the system, say 300level+ , and ascertain whether it is obtainable for your school- and the conditions attached thereof. They may give you some info and you may likely proceed to step2.

[b]Step2

As you rightly said before, the registrar is a good place to start. If you get to see him , ask him about 'the necessary guidelines and conditions' concerning inter-university transfer, especially to the dept of Med&Surg. . This is because the rules always tend to differ or get stricter when Med&surg dept is concerned (as obtainable in my school). If he has the required information and gets you satisfied , then applause. If not , I'd advice you to proceed to the dept of Med&Surg and seek to see the MBBS co-ordinator or the head of department. This is where your patience would likely be necessary because it would. If you aren't able to see him/her as the case may be, then I'd advice you to look out for the Secretary to the College of Health Sciences.
Wish you goodluck.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Kadata(m): 8:27am On Jan 17, 2011
No Medics on Nairaland??
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Drphemmy4u: 12:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
hi fellaz,am in my 5th year.wish u guys d best in all ur endeavours.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Babability(m): 12:18am On Jan 18, 2011
i,m a student of medicine ABU, the most saddening part of this our course is the series of casualties(i.e withdrawals and repeat) involved. But seriously u need to jack.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by maboro(m): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2011
i'm in 200 level,med and surg,uniport.To me,medical sch is fun but jackingful.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Kadata(m): 1:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
maboro:

i'm in 200 level,med and surg,uniport.To me,medical sch is fun but jackingful.

hi maboro, gud thing you scrambled up d thread. You guys are on hols

1 Like

Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 3:40pm On Jul 05, 2011
Hey gr8 medics, how have you all been faring? I trust that ya'll doing well. I came by to say that the time is here again. My part2 mbbch exams begins August 1st, I solicit you prayers and good will, , meanwhile the yr3 students are rounding up and the final year class begins in 13days, it is well. It is not over until it is over, gracias doctors
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by sydney01(m): 3:55am On Jul 06, 2011
*Jumping in with uniport swag* wat did i miss? Lol , wtf maboro u in uniflex too? Abeg show make we anastomose cheesy
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Kadata(m): 12:09pm On Jul 07, 2011
danbasco:

Hey gr8 medics, how have you all been faring? I trust that ya'll doing well. I came by to say that the time is here again. My part2 mbbch exams begins August 1st
gudluck bro. One thing is certain----we'd keep passing
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by maboro(m): 6:35am On Jul 20, 2011
118 student was waffed in d just concluded yr3 mb in uniport.Baba God 4 heaven help me'o
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by blabber15(f): 1:41pm On Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys, pls can anyone give me the list of courses u offered in 100 level
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 7:03pm On Oct 14, 2011
blabber15:

Hey guys, pls can anyone give me the list of courses u offered in 100 level
use of english,
mathematics,
citizenship education,
history and philosophy of science
biology,
chemistry,
physics
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by blabber15(f): 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2011
Ok, thank you, please could you also give me some info about 200 level courses. You see, i'm applying 4 de admission using my a level results and i don't like being behind. BTW, What school do you attend?
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Abattola: 9:44pm On Oct 14, 2011
Pls i ve just bn offered admin by oau 2 study mbbs.pls wats is it like.ur "advice".and encouragement word my email is abattola@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by fateavon4u(f): 10:59pm On Oct 14, 2011
@ all,nice thread.my younger sister is interestd in studying medicine.hw many mbbs exams will she write during d 7yrs and in what yrs will she write d exams?.

1 Like

Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by fateavon4u(f): 11:05pm On Oct 14, 2011
@ all,my younger sis is interestd in studying medicine.hw many mbbs exams will she hv 2 write in all and in what yrs will she write dem?.thanks,pple.nice thread.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Tobbie9(m): 7:43am On Oct 15, 2011
I'm loving this thread just got admission to study med/sug in OAU, thanks to the guy dat gave the info on the text books.PEACE
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 10:50am On Oct 15, 2011
fateavon4u:

@ all,nice thread.my younger sister is interestd in studying medicine.hw many mbbs exams will she write during d 7yrs and in what yrs will she write d exams?.
Good ambitions your younger sis' has got. Studying Medicine is actually 6yrs and not 7yrs. The 7th year is for house Job(housemanship) and she would be earning money then. There will be 4 mbbch exams in all written at the end of 3rd, 4th, 5th years and final Mb at the end of the 6th year. There maybe a slight variations in different Nigerian Universities. I hope I have answered your question.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 11:34am On Oct 15, 2011
Tobbie9:

I'm loving this thread just got admission to study med/sug in OAU, thanks to the guy dat gave the info on the text books.PEACE
congrats, welcom to the Medicos club. Doctors: A good heart, skilled hands, vast knowledge!
blabber15:

Ok, thank you, please could you also give me some info about 200 level courses. You see, i'm applying 4 de admission using my a level results and i don't like being behind. BTW, What school do you attend?
200/300L courses are:
Anatomy-(gross anatomy, histology, embryology, neuroAnatomy)
Physiology-(of 9systems)
Biochemistry, The specifications of these courses depend on the University.
I am in University of Calabar. I hope I have been able to answer your question.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 11:52am On Oct 15, 2011
Abattola:

Pls i ve just bn offered admin by oau 2 study mbbs.pls wats is it like.your "advice".and encouragement word my email is,
Congratulations on your admission to study medicine in OAU.

My advice for you:
you may have already heard that there is so much reading in medicine. This is so very true. You will have to read as if your life depends on it, of course your life in medical school depends on it.

It is not true that medical students are boring and dont have a social life. It depends entirely on the individual. It is all about planning you life daily/weekly and making out time for everything.

Time management is very important. Dont waste your time on frivolities. Plan and make use of your time judiciously.

Dont live with the idea that u have to read all the time even though sometimes you will always feel you havnt read enough.

Have your rest sufficiently, sleep well, eat well and study well. Allocate time for everything and do just what you have to at such times.

You do not have to wait till it is time for mbs exam before you start reading because you will not have sufficient time to cover up all you have to read.

Check down the thread for info on text books. You do not necessarily have to own all the books on a course. This depend on which you will find easy to understand and your lecturer. Pls talk to a senior colleague

Take the yr1 class(pre-med) and all yr1 courses very seriously because in most schools now, you will not be allowed to proceed to yr2 & yr3 (pre-clinicals) without passing all your courses.(diff. Schools have different condition)

attend all your lectures, practicals and do all assignments.

Find and make friends with senior colleagues who are doing well and can provide you with useful materials and info.

Always obtain a course outline and use it in studying to avoid studying aimlessly

acquire and use past question papers to study and prepare for exams. Questions are bound to be repeated in one way or the other.

Different lecturers have different patterns, so you have to understand your lecturers individually and try to know what they are usually interested in and the pattern of thier question and how they like the answers to be written. Senior colleagues can help you on that

Pray fervently for all they that labour do so in vain except God blesses their deed and grants them Grace.

I hope other medics will stop by to add their own pieces of advice, this is not all, but all I have time for.

Best of Luck
Danbasy Eyo Effiwatt
MbbCh - UNICAL

3 Likes

Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 15, 2011
Pls grt medicos. Who knws the cut off mark 4 medicine in uniben this year and also others universities.tnkx
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by nosa2cool: 2:28pm On Oct 15, 2011
DESPUTE: MEDICINE VS DENTISTRY, pls answer with at least a reason.thanks
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Abatvic(m): 3:49pm On Oct 15, 2011
danbasco:

Congratulations on your admission to study medicine in OAU.

My advice for you:
you may have already heard that there is so much reading in medicine. This is so very true. You will have to read as if your life depends on it, of course your life in medical school depends on it.

It is not true that medical students are boring and dont have a social life. It depends entirely on the individual. It is all about planning you life daily/weekly and making out time for everything.

Time management is very important. Dont waste your time on frivolities. Plan and make use of your time judiciously.

Dont live with the idea that u have to read all the time even though sometimes you will always feel you havnt read enough.

Have your rest sufficiently, sleep well, eat well and study well. Allocate time for everything and do just what you have to at such times.

You do not have to wait till it is time for mbs exam before you start reading because you will not have sufficient time to cover up all you have to read.

Check down the thread for info on text books. You do not necessarily have to own all the books on a course. This depend on which you will find easy to understand and your lecturer. Pls talk to a senior colleague

Take the yr1 class(pre-med) and all yr1 courses very seriously because in most schools now, you will not be allowed to proceed to yr2 & yr3 (pre-clinicals) without passing all your courses.(diff. Schools have different condition)

attend all your lectures, practicals and do all assignments.

Find and make friends with senior colleagues who are doing well and can provide you with useful materials and info.

Always obtain a course outline and use it in studying to avoid studying aimlessly

acquire and use past question papers to study and prepare for exams. Questions are bound to be repeated in one way or the other.

Different lecturers have different patterns, so you have to understand your lecturers individually and try to know what they are usually interested in and the pattern of thier question and how they like the answers to be written. Senior colleagues can help you on that

Pray fervently for all they that labour do so in vain except God blesses their deed and grants them Grace.

I hope other medics will stop by to add their own pieces of advice, this is not all, but all I have time for.

Best of Luck
Danbasy Eyo Effiwatt
MbbCh - UNICAL
thanks am very grateful
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by psamuell2(m): 6:44am On Oct 16, 2011
IN A COUNTRY LIKE NIGERIA WITH ABOUT 140 MILLION PEOPLE,WE HAVE ONLY 30 NEUROSURGEON AND 50 NEUROLOGIST.SO SAD.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by psamuell2(m): 6:58am On Oct 16, 2011
in a country like nigeria with about 140 million people we have only 30 neurosurgeons and 50 neurologists,lets think about this when choosing a specialty,how are we treating/managing epilepsy in this great nation.so sad.
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2011
@PSamuell, your observations and suggestions have been noted. However I want to say that this issue is also as a result of lack of equipment to practice with.

A Prof. In my surgery unit said, ", in the '70s after training abroad, he could practice, and then he travelled out to S.Arabia and then returned recently but cannot practice again due to unavailability of equipment.

Neuromed/surgery is one area that requires so much skill/technique but how many CT scans, MRIs do we have in Nigeria?

Its is good that you are pro-neuro. Pls continue the sensitization. Thanks
I will also like to know your designation,
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by igboboy3(m): 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2011
Sup people
I'm a 500 level Med student at NAUTH Nnewi. I like this thread.

1 Like

Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by omokay01: 8:55am On Oct 17, 2011
Gaining admission to study medcine in uk, us or canada is not my problem but how I will pay my way through. Their fees is to high for an average Nigerian. Do anybody know of a full time schlolarship to study medcine in any of the above coutries?
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by Abatvic(m): 1:10pm On Nov 07, 2011
Hi @all
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by danbasco(m): 10:42pm On Nov 08, 2011
which are the best medical schools in Nigeria? What do you think?
Re: Medical Student: Lets Meet. by emmanugo: 12:00am On Nov 09, 2011
@danbasco, plss am a newly admited malabites into d sch of medicine, i wil lik to no u mor nd seek 4 ur advice nd guidianz, as 4 ur question, i tink its unical's sch of medicine or wat do u tink?wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Strike: UNIBEN Pharmacy Students Protest, Storm Oba Of Benin's Palace (Photos) / Anambra Debate Team Triumphs In Singapore, Returns With Trophy- Pictures / I Have Lost Interest In School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.