Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! (27681 Views)

Stanley Lawson Accused Of Laundering Billions For Madueke Working For FG - SSS / Jonathan Budgeted Billions For Roads But Failed To Pay Contractors – Fashola / TSA: CBN Fines Skye Bank N4bn For Concealing Mdas' Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by citizenisb: 4:36am On Oct 26, 2015

In line with its threat to sanction commercial banks that failed to comply with the federal government’s directive on the remittance of government revenue to the treasury single account (TSA), the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) last Friday fined First Bank of Nigeria Limited (FirstBank) and United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc the sum of N4.819 billion.

According to a circular obtained from banking industry sources, while the CBN imposed a penalty of N1,877,409,905.12 on FirstBank, UBA was fined N2,942,189,651.45 for its failure to comply with the federal government’s policy.

An industry source explained that FirstBank concealed N37,548,198,102.41 belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s (NNPC) instead of remitting it to the TSA as directed.

On the other hand, UBA concealed N58,843,793,029.05 of NNPC funds, which attracted the penalty.

The source explained that the penalty was the equivalent of five per cent of the funds they failed to remit respectively.
“The accounts of both banks with the CBN have been debited for the unremitted amounts and the penalties,” she added.

Providing further insight, the source said at the last Bankers’ Committee held in Lagos early this month, the central bank officials had impressed on the banks the need to comply with the directive, saying that it had it on good authority that some banks were colluding with some ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) to conceal their funds.

In response, the bank chief executives said that they had a directive from the Accountant-General of the Federation to a Director in the CBN exempting some MDAs from transferring their funds to the TSA.

The chief executives of both banks were said to have been present at the meeting held at the central bank’s Lagos office on October 2.

“But the CBN rejected the claim, informing them that the letter was written to a Director with the CBN and not the governor of the CBN and that the governor had not received a counter-directive from the presidency on the transfers. After the clarification, they all promised to remit any outstanding amounts with them.

“However, a week after the meeting, CBN discovered that some banks had still not complied and proceeded to call all tier 1 banks reminding them that they must do so, otherwise they would be sanctioned.

“They responded again stating that the Office of the Accountant General had again sent them a schedule asking them to disclose how much of the funds belonging to MDAs had been transferred and how much was still with the banks,” she explained.

Thereafter, the source said the CBN Director, Banking Supervision, Mrs. Tokunbo Martins, then wrote to the banks asking that they furnish it with information on any unremitted funds, after which it was established that FirstBank and UBA had failed to remit N58.8 billion and N37.5 billion respectively, leading to the imposition of the penalty of N4.819 billion on both banks.

The source explained that FirstBank and UBA were being recalcitrant by refusing to comply with the directive despite repeated efforts by the CBN to get them to transfer the concealed funds.

She however clarified that the concealment was not a reflection on their liquidity, as both banks are very liquid.

“The system is awash with liquidity and this has been reflected in the NIBOR and deposit rates which have crashed. FirstBank and UBA as Tier 1 banks are both very liquid, so their decision to conceal the funds had more to do with their collusion with the chief executives of the MDAs than any confusing directive from the Accountant General,” she explained.

However, an executive of FirstBank informed THISDAY last week that there must have been some kind of “miscommunication” that led to the non-transfer of the NNPC funds.

He explained that when the confusion arose from the circular from the Accountant-General, CBN had itself directed that NNPC’s funds should be retained with the banks for 18 days, pending the resolution of the matter.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/tsa-cbn-fines-firstbank-uba-n4-82bn-for-concealing-nnpc-funds/223781/

6 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by ORACLE1975(m): 4:39am On Oct 26, 2015
buhari is working,other are crying me and my nothern brothers are happy, God please give my president long life so that my grand children will see your good side.

25 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Demmocrats(m): 4:42am On Oct 26, 2015
cheesy my sai Baba

I told you guys he will change this nation for good it has begun.

In summary bankers are part of the corruption killing this great nation, if one of them is jailed for life then they will all sit up and know my new "sheriff" in town ain't playing.

God bless my sai baba

Sai Buhari.

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Firefire(m): 4:45am On Oct 26, 2015
Criminal banks. cheesy

5% fine is even too small.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by citizenisb: 4:48am On Oct 26, 2015
Thereafter, the source said the CBN Director, Banking Supervision, Mrs. Tokunbo Martins, then wrote to the banks asking that they furnish it with information on any unremitted funds, after which it was established that FirstBank and UBA had failed to remit N58.8 billion and N37.5 billion respectively, leading to the imposition of the penalty of N4.819 billion on both banks.

The source explained that FirstBank and UBA were being recalcitrant by refusing to comply with the directive despite repeated efforts by the CBN to get them to transfer the concealed funds.

She however clarified that the concealment was not a reflection on their liquidity, as both banks are very liquid.

Please be careful on how much you have in these banks before they fold up suddenly on us!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Warlord3000(m): 4:49am On Oct 26, 2015
Lol...

Remove those government accounts and money you will see that the banks are just a bunch of buildings and nothing more...

Maybe now they will care for us more instead of doing yanga on top we genuine customers...

Time for real banking wink

90 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by citizenisb: 4:59am On Oct 26, 2015
Bank workers need to pray hard because I predict massive job losses to counter the reduction in profitability due to the exit of this easy money from government.

Banks thrived on COT WHICH IS BEING PHASED OUT AND MULTIPLE HIDDEN GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTS FROM WHICH THEFT OCCURS.

They are all in serious trouble!!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by walearoy(m): 5:12am On Oct 26, 2015
Now this is bad

I hope heads will not roll
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by DropShot: 5:44am On Oct 26, 2015
These banks obviously still think we're in thw era of impunity where their non compliance with FG's directive attracted no sanctions. Now they will learn the hard way we're passed that phase.

33 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by ODUBEZE: 5:44am On Oct 26, 2015
How I wish the CBN can also do the same to Nigerian stolen loot abroad!

9 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by dhantey324(m): 5:53am On Oct 26, 2015
No biggie...
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by henchamb(m): 5:55am On Oct 26, 2015
The days of impunity are over.
Disrespect fedeal legitimate orders st your own peril.

23 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Nobody: 6:19am On Oct 26, 2015
Lalasticlala....its no longer business as usual

8 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by aieromon(m): 6:30am On Oct 26, 2015
People should be ready to face the consequences of their actions.

8 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by omowolewa: 6:33am On Oct 26, 2015
Humm! Bank's profit would not smile this year.
Time to divest

6 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by hrykanu231(m): 6:33am On Oct 26, 2015
Come make nothing happen to them o@First Bank o, na der my salary account dey o. All states Trust Bank taught me a lesson already a decade ago.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Opinedecandid(m): 6:42am On Oct 26, 2015
Na court go resolve that one.

First Bank and UBA head to Court, asap.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by solutions124: 6:42am On Oct 26, 2015
interesting
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by citizenisb: 6:49am On Oct 26, 2015
http://nairametrics.com/caught-uba-first-bank-fined-n4-8-billion-for-concealing-tsa-belonging-to-nnpc/

UBA and First Bank has been fined a total sum of N4.8 billion for not remitting all Government funds in their coffers in line with the TSA requirements, Thisday reports. According to the paper, First Bank got a penalty of N1,877,409,905.12 and UBA a penalty of N2,942,189,651.45 for failure to comply. The fines were based on a ‘concealment’ of N37,548,198,102.41 and N58,843,793,029.05 both belonging to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s (NNPC) by First Bank and UBA respectively.

The report quotes a source which explained that both banks did not deliberately fail to remit that instead the failure was due to a miscommunication and that both bank were still very much liquid. First Bank is yet to release their 9 months to September earnings. UBA released its earnings showing deposits was essentially flat between September 2015 and December 2014 at N2.17 trillion.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Rilwayne001: 6:50am On Oct 26, 2015
Firefire:
Criminal banks. cheesy
5% fine is even too small.
grin

2 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by sunkoye: 6:59am On Oct 26, 2015
This is high level integrity issue. Heads should roll joor...they too wont fink twice to dismiss employee that does such.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by drey076(m): 7:01am On Oct 26, 2015
Good, no bank is above the rule

2 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 26, 2015
Some sharp guys probably kept this money without the knowledge of management, hoping that someday everybody will forget about it.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Adesiji77: 7:15am On Oct 26, 2015
Hmmm...

Their PBT is more than enough to absorb it cool

It is very possible that an "account officer" failed to do the "necessaries"

Most banks took this directive very seriously knowing that it is no longer business as usual.

Again, you can never tell....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by mznuez(f): 7:16am On Oct 26, 2015
Why my bank?
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by smasher1(m): 7:16am On Oct 26, 2015
Kk
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Samirana360(m): 7:17am On Oct 26, 2015
I dnt wanna read all dis long story buh my question is; who wil eat dat money? Whose account ar they goin 2, who wil account 4 it? D governor? Who?

Oya op answer me
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by clefstone(m): 7:17am On Oct 26, 2015
Mouth
Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by kinglekan: 7:17am On Oct 26, 2015

Interesting stuff, what i find a little bit confusing is that the CBN actually acknowledged the fact that there was a directive from the account general of the federation to a director with the CBN and the CBN governor had no knowledge of such.

How did the bank executives get the circular in the first place if there was no official communication between the "director with the cbn" and the banks.

I think there is a problem with the line of communication as the account general wouldn't send a circular on an issue as important as excluding some MDAs from using the TSA without copying the CBN governor.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by Jaideyone(m): 7:17am On Oct 26, 2015
Good!!! now this is a Government that works.
a certain clueless fisherman gave a directive on TSA but no one complied

Change is here!!!

8 Likes

Re: CBN Fines FIRST BANK And UBA Billions For TSA Hiding NNPC FUNDS!! by raymondzack: 7:18am On Oct 26, 2015
Thieves that wear suits N seat in beautiful building

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Committee On Works Inspects 2nd Niger Bridge Progress (photos) / Haulage Driver Reveals He Transported Saraki’s Range Rover from His Ikoyi Home / Dapo Abiodun: Ogun State Has Highest Number Of Yahoo Yahoo Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.