Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" (32570 Views)

FUNAAB Student Union Set To Repair Camp-funaab Road / 500L Covenant University Student Dies In School (Photo) / Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by igraman(m): 7:26am On Oct 26, 2015
It is with an heavy heart that we announce the passing on of Hon. Maria Atere, a 400 level student of Plant physiology and Crop production.

She was involved in an accident along Camp- Sch gate road, Ogun-Osun axis. her bike was hit by a car. She was immediately rushed to a Hospital at camp 'Ideal clinic', the doctor on seeing her condition told the Funaabite that accompanied her that she needed to be taken to Federal Medical center Abeokuta. The Funaabite in turn contacted Funaabsu President who sent some of the Excos with the Union bus to check on her, while he went to the school's health center to get a referral letter for Hon Maria to be taken to FMC, but the Doctor instead asked that she should brought to the Health center before he can issue any letter. The President explained to him that it was a critical situation and that bringing her to the Health center was going to result in time wastage, the doctor didn't bulge and refused to write the letter.
The doctor at Ideal Clinic instead wrote the letter and she was conveyed to FMC with Funaabsu bus, along with Ogun Nans Bus instead of the school's Ambulance. The bus got there within 10mins.
She was announced dead moments after she was taken to FMC.
An hour later after we had lost Hon. Maria, the school's Ambulance called that they were at camp.

It would not have taken the Doctor at the school's health center to write a referral letter and order the school's Ambulance to take her there.
The negligence by our University Health center must stop.

Greatesr Nigerian studenrs, there's going to a be protest by Funaab student union at the University Gate tomorrow by 6am. Please let us all come out en mass.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Bonapart(m): 7:28am On Oct 26, 2015
Rip pretty one
And many will open their gutter mouth and tell you they don't believe in spirituality...
Only constant prayers and faithfulness can save you in this wicked world
"Pray without ceasing"
The only thing I don't play with is prayer

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by igraman(m): 7:47am On Oct 26, 2015
RIP Maria

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Opracus(f): 8:12am On Oct 26, 2015
RIP,wat will b d profit of her parent that works day and night,may d gud lord console dem

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Mskrisx(f): 8:39am On Oct 26, 2015
Chai
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Kayswat(m): 9:04am On Oct 26, 2015
RIP

1 Like

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by julimartins(f): 9:07am On Oct 26, 2015
diaris God ooooo

1 Like

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by RealAdewole(m): 9:18am On Oct 26, 2015
Oops. It happens everywhere just don't vandalize during the protest aluta continua

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Fraih(f): 9:20am On Oct 26, 2015
igraman:

The negligence by our University Health center must stop.

It realy must stop!! !

5 Likes

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by duduade: 9:22am On Oct 26, 2015
That doctor needs to be beaten...... I can't stand them.... buh why didn't the ideal clinic doctor not write a letter immediately rather than waiting for a referral letter from the schoool doctor. .. RIP

1 Like

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by igraman(m): 9:25am On Oct 26, 2015
RealAdewole:
Oops. It happens everywhere just don't vandalize during the protest aluta continua
when it happens everywhere nkor !
we shld now let it continue or what ?
meanwhile we are protesting Not rioting okay ?

2 Likes

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by lonelydora: 9:26am On Oct 26, 2015
Injury to one is injury to all. Aluta Continua.....

1. FRSC should enforce crash helmet both for the rider and the passenger in all the nooks and crannies of Nigeria.

2. We have too many under-aged undergraduates in our schools these days, that's why SUG is not as strong as it used to be. Imagine my nephew in 4th year when she's still a teen. Involve matured people in SUG and not all these daddy's boys.

3. University health centres should be upgraded and doctors with human sympathy employed and not doctors looking for quick money. Imagine just writing a letter? Well, I don't know their work ethics shaa.

4. School hostels should be upgraded and more hostels built to cater for the increasing number of students staying off campus.

Rest in Peace to the dead.

I MISS MY SCHOOL DAYS WHEN VC's TREMBLE AT THE MENTION OF SUG.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by AYOdeji2102: 9:26am On Oct 26, 2015
Okay
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Doughyeenbae(f): 9:27am On Oct 26, 2015
duduade:
That doctor needs to be beaten...... I can't stand them.... buh why didn't the ideal clinic doctor not write a letter immediately rather than waiting for a referral letter from the schoool doctor. .. RIP
Exactly..

2 Likes

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 26, 2015
cry
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by vizkiz: 9:28am On Oct 26, 2015
I am alive today because he kept me cry

6 Likes

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by mznuez(f): 9:28am On Oct 26, 2015
What a waste
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Mopolchi: 9:29am On Oct 26, 2015
eh yaa! Rip!
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by kennyman2000(m): 9:29am On Oct 26, 2015
God! Not again

Her parents efforts,money and everything thats involved in nurturing her to that stage just got wasted..

Ohh God! i wish the parents God's strenght in this trying times.
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Tobbey(m): 9:29am On Oct 26, 2015
JESUS CHRIST
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Eleniyan15: 9:29am On Oct 26, 2015
zero #Aluta

I don't want to mention a particular school

this rubbish, that doctor his a dead man walking
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by pretydiva(f): 9:30am On Oct 26, 2015
Dis is sad..may dis not b our portion

1 Like

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Fynestboi: 9:30am On Oct 26, 2015
When exactly will this reckless, cruel, wicked, angry angry >: atrocious, barbaric, barbarous, brutal, brute, butcherly, fiendish, heartless, inhuman, inhumane, sadistic, savage, truculent, vicious, wanton, red in tooth and claw people stop taking and shutting down our undergraduate live. angry angry
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 26, 2015
Letters again

Another day....and another ''Let's blame the Nigerian doctor '' show

Before I write.....RIP to the lady.

1.The lass was knocked down by a car whilst being a passenger on a bike. Potential injuires include head injury, leg injury, and spinal injury. All of which can cause death in minutes.(Massive internal bleeding)

2.I wonder why she was not immediately taken to FMC. Mulitply injured patients are not just taken to some clinic.The FMC would have taken her without a referral letter.....and if they do not....then sme people have a lot to answer for.

3.Sorry to sound crass....but the way she was transported to the hospital could have contributed to her death.

In transporting patients injured in a car accident....you immobilise them first. In Nigeria.....where there is no suitable ambulance service...we just transport them anyhow. And if you do that....you might worsen the injuries....especially if there is a neck injury.

4.Conclusion....the girl did not die because of a delayed referral letter. She died because

a) No ambulance , and no paramedic staff to stabilise her.....and to transport her properly

b) Delay in getting her to a tertiary hospital.

5.Addendum.....referral letters are issued ONLY if the doctor gave the patient some treatment....and did some initial assessment ,,,so that the colleagues on the other side know about any past treatment....which helps in subsequent management of the patient. In this case....they did not need the referral letter at all really.

I know some of my colleagues are bad......but this Nigerian doctor bashing is getting too much. Better vote for and make your leaders improve funding and planning for healthcare in Nigeria too.

24 Likes

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by tboy4show(m): 9:31am On Oct 26, 2015
RIP.....

Overweight has been attributed to be one of the major causes of
sexual dissatisfaction in both male and female.Don't wait until you're
replaced by your spouse" Get rid of the excess fats with a natural programme....
follow this trend below for more details
https://www.nairaland.com/2683491/detoxify-excess-fat-just-9days
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by free2ryhme: 9:31am On Oct 26, 2015
Authorities and protocols in this country sha

God go help us
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by kullozone(m): 9:31am On Oct 26, 2015
Eya...
This is not the first time shii like this has happened. Why not save the person's life first before any other thing?

R. I. P lady.
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by xender(m): 9:31am On Oct 26, 2015
rip.
Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by airsaylongcon: 9:31am On Oct 26, 2015
the health centre doctor acted correctly. No Dr can refer a patient s/he hasn't seen. that will be suicidal. they should simply have requested for the school's ambulance and gotten the initial consulting doc to do d referral. but methinks the initial doc was negligent. he should have stabilized the patient prior to the ambulance's arrival

11 Likes

Re: Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 26, 2015
Nigeria is a wasteland. May she rest in peace.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Like The Course You Studied In University Or Polytechnic? / Study Free In Istanbul Turkey For Absolutely Free. Apply Now! / NORD Builds Auto Assembly Plant In University Of Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.