Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,301 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title (8426 Views)

CCT Chairman, Danladi Umar Sued Over Money Laundering, Bribery / Three Factions Contesting Eze Ndigbo Title In Ibadan, Oyo State / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by tamme: 12:04pm On May 07, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Governor Gbenga Daniel
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
The Eze Ndigbo title holders, in Lagos State, have jointly filed a suit at the Federal High Court against Governor Babatunde Fashola’s administration over a ban placed on them.
The suit has been listed for mention on Tuesday, May 7, 2009 by the court.

Addressing a press conference, in Lagos on Monday, the Chairman, Eze in-council of Lagos State, Eze T. R Dialakwe, described the ban as a violation of the constitutional rights of the entire Igbo in Lagos.

Eze Dialakwe, who was supported by eight other Eze title holders, remarked: “Every well born son and daughter of Ndigbo have viewed the banning of Eze Ndi-Igbo title by Lagos State Government on April 27, 2009 as a violation of the constitttionaly rights of the entire Igbo.

“This ban is in violation of section 42(1)(2) of the 1999 Constitution, which is on the right to freedom from discrimination.
The ban is discriminatory because it does not apply to every ethnic group or any other community, but applies only to a particular community, the Igbo speaking community,” they asserted.
According to the Eze-in-Council, the ban has subjected the Igbo ethnic group only to a disability to appoint a king (Eze Ndi-Igbo) of their choice, and had restricted them to the title top which the Igbo ethnic group in Lagos cannot take or attain to.

Eze Dialakwe said this ban had prompted them to file the suit No. FHC/C/C8/469/09 for the enforcement of their fundamental rights under the constitution.

Said Eze Dialakwe: “By this banning, the Igbo in Lagos may get up one morning to learn that the government of Lagos State has banned every Igbo man and woman from owning more than one house in Lagos.”

He appealed to all the millions of Igbo in the state agitated by the ban to be calm and wait for the interpretation of the 1999 Constitution on the ban.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ElRazur: 12:11pm On May 07, 2009

Said Eze Dialakwe: “By this banning, the Igbo in Lagos may get up one morning to learn that the government of Lagos State has banned every Igbo man and woman from owning more than one house in Lagos.”

With a line like that, I hope he aint the one representing them in court.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by sleekp1: 12:22pm On May 07, 2009
Is the "Eze" title banned? What's this litigation for?
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by tamme: 12:26pm On May 07, 2009
they should go back to igboland and do their so called igbo kwenu titles
gabbage!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ElRazur: 12:29pm On May 07, 2009
tamme:

they shld go back to igboland I do their so called igbo kwenu titles
gabbage!

What an intelligent post. Keep it up! I wonder if you understand sarcasm though.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by blacksta(m): 1:02pm On May 07, 2009
tamme:

gabbage!

tamme, tamme, tamme - can you imagine such a statement coming out you - i am not igbo but on this occasion i disagree with you.

i am very sure - u like trouble. If anybody wants to kwenu in lagos let them kwenu
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by Sagamite(m): 1:49pm On May 07, 2009
tamme:

gabbage!

slowpoke!

tamme:

Eze Dialakwe, who was supported by eight other Eze title holders, remarked: “Every well born son and daughter of Ndigbo have viewed the banning of Eze Ndi-Igbo title by Lagos State Government on April 27, 2009 as a violation of the constitttionaly rights of the entire Igbo.

slowpoke!

tamme:

slowpoke!
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by jodeci(m): 1:51pm On May 07, 2009
tamme:

gabbage!

When idiots talk,they leave no one i doubt.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by kalmebad(f): 1:52pm On May 07, 2009
tamme:

gabbage!

Speaking from the anus and not mouth i guess

People like u will disintegrate this country, just becus of tribalism

Can truth ever  be told the way it should

Yet we answer One Nigeria
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ohhippie(m): 2:05pm On May 07, 2009
i am an igboman.the ban was long over due and it did not violate the right of any igboman in lagos.how can somebody who has no royalty in his blood migrate to lagos and assume the title of eze?by the way ,who elected and coronated them? i am a regular attendant to my lagos town union meeting and we have never talked of electing any kangaroo eze ndigbo.if those fighting over it are sensible enough,they would have changed the title to ONYE NDU NDIGBO NA LAGOS.If not the jewun jewun that they get from governments they wont be fighting.Tell them to go and enlist in an Igbo army that  wants to fight the talibans,they will all disappear.so,they are only fighting for their pockets.shameles animals who do nothing but bring disgrace to the Igboman.Na God go punish them.Eze Ndigbo na ass.(ikem)
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by tamme: 2:05pm On May 07, 2009
i am very sure - u like trouble.    If anybody wants to kwenu in lagos  let them kwenu

grin grin

I love trouble  grin
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by tamme: 2:08pm On May 07, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am an igboman.the ban was long over due and it did not violate the right of any igboman in lagos.how can somebody who has no royalty in his blood migrate to lagos and assume the title of eze?by the way ,who elected and coronated them?

Somebody with sense cheesy
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by busibodi(f): 2:09pm On May 07, 2009
let us see how this goes.

it would open a can of  trouble soon.

Babalaye of Aba

Eze of Kano

Dogodanza of  Ibadan

Sheik of Onitsha
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ohhippie(m): 2:13pm On May 07, 2009
Tamme,you are the greatest fool i have ever read from.i dont think you are better than judas iscariot.You indeed reasoned from your anus,ewu,
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by showbobo(m): 2:24pm On May 07, 2009
busi-bodi:

let us see how this goes.

it would open a can of trouble soon.

Babalaye of Aba

Eze of Kano

Dogodanza of Ibadan

Sheik of Onitsha
hehehehe. . . Na today
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by bigben3: 2:51pm On May 07, 2009
Naija with title craze.Abeg kini big deal then born anybody with am Vanity upon vanity=
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by sosodat: 3:17pm On May 07, 2009
Seems Fashola's govt aint got better policies to institute hence having the time to go about banning titles and choosing who should wield what title. Pathetic!! Moreso when the policy seems tribalistic (only Igbo titles banned)
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by hardywaltz(m): 3:54pm On May 07, 2009
I wish i had the opportunity of personally thanking the Governor for taking such a courageous decision.
I am an Igbo man born & bred but i feel disgusted any time i see these jokers masquerading as Eze this or that. For those of you not too knowledgeable in our way of live, Igbo's from inception didnt have any central ruler, prompting the English colonial masters to enthrone one for us (which was forcefully rejected back then because it was alien to our way of life).  However as Chinua Achebe (Igbo Legend) wrote in his book "The Trouble with Nigeria", he couldnt understand why a tribe without any know ruler not too long ago now had all sorts "Mushroom Ezes and Igwe" all over the country and the world. They cant name one useful thing they have done both in their phantom kingdom or back home for that matter. In Rivers State for example they were always paying the then Governor courtesy calls and leaving with Ghana Must Go, which they keep to themselves. Little wonder they were able to pull down mile one market, kick them out of theirs make shift stores, pretend they were going to rebuild the market in 5months, this is 3 year running and still no market, all with no resistance. This is just one example, i dare not write more coz i am already getting worked up.
It is only in Igbo land that you have Ezes' and Igwes' who when they go back to their homeland become normal citizens (Two Captain(s) cant be on one ship). I am calling on all Sons and Daughters of Igbo Land to join hands and get rid of these JOKERS, so that when we speak we can be taken seriously via Presidential Elections come 2011 or 2014 whenever it is the turn of the south again.

PS: It is also on record that the world Igbo Day is held in Chicago (Chaired by the Igwe of Chicago) and not our home land, i wonder the sensibility in this foolishness.  (Chinua Achebe)
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by spikedcylinder: 3:57pm On May 07, 2009
Apart from the Igbos, what other tribes have traditional titles in Lagos? I mean apart from the core Yoruba indigenes from Lagos State?
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by hackney(m): 4:05pm On May 07, 2009
I dont understand the EZE NDIGBO  title thing existing in LAGOS. and im igbo
Is it feasible to have an 'Eze' just because you have a community in someone else's region? eh ?
I used to think we just have structured unions or associations and not exporting Kingdoms.

Please someone explain to me abeg;
some times we dey wan tire everybody ; na wa oo !!! hei !!
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 07, 2009
Most of you here sound exactly like the morons suing lagos govt.
F.Y.I, Igbos are are happy with the ban.
Those jobless morons dont speak for any Igbo in and outside Lagos.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ElRazur: 4:11pm On May 07, 2009
nuzo:

Who are these "most" you speak of? There appears to be a lot of people agreeing with the ban. And a lot of people criticizing the guy who made a stupid statement from the beginning.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by Mashkov: 4:13pm On May 07, 2009
sosodat:

Seems Fashola's govt aint got better policies to institute hence having the time to go about banning titles and choosing who should wield what title. Pathetic!! Moreso when the policy seems tribalistic (only Igbo titles banned)

It is only sensible to be mindful of what we say of write. Castigating the Fashola Administration that has been the best in our era is nasty thing to do. Fashola is too busy to see all these chieftancy issues if not that he was prompted by the people from the East (homefront) that the Lagos Govt should institutte the ban against some fellows parading themselves as the Eze Ndigbo when they are actually a nobody back in their home town

Ask yourself, what are they contributing to the welfare of the state. The only lord on their fellow kinsmen just because they are fortunate enough to have some foolish westerners to play into their hands, grin
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by hackney(m): 4:13pm On May 07, 2009
@ELRazur
Exactly ; he is not of very sound mind ;writing crap straight after my comment.
All these half-reads.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by hardywaltz(m): 4:14pm On May 07, 2009
None just Igbo's. That's why they arent taking seriously. Each community ideally have their town hall meetings which majority of the populace attend regularly not matter which state you reside. This unions have a well organized structure, and funds realized as dues are usually used for the benefit of its members and most times used for development projects back home.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by dlox01(m): 4:16pm On May 07, 2009
sosodat:

as long as it dosnt pay or affect u,ul have only crap like this to say.
you feel only igbo titles were bannedhow many hausa people do u c parading themselves as something they are not?Lagos is a youruba land and they have history,they know y every title is what it is and y,as for the Eze Ndigbo who they dont know and dosnt have a histiry well, they have every right to ban it,these guys just use these titles as fraud by making potraying themselves as relevant in the state and they are soooooo not.
as far as im concerned anybody that carries any title that has no history from his land and enters lagos should be arrested and charged.and if u are in lag n u want to give urself a title like [color=#006600]'omo oni ile of igbo land'
please go through the right panel(if theres one)!!!its the people of the land that descide what they want, if they dont want eze ndigbo of lagos then they freaking dont want it, get out!!!! angry grin[/color]
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ElRazur: 4:18pm On May 07, 2009
hackney:

I dont understand the EZE NDIGBO  title thing existing in LAGOS. and im igbo
Is it feasible to have an 'Eze' just because you have a community in someone else's region?
I used to think we just have structured unions or associations and not exporting Kingdoms.

Please someone explain to me abeg

Technically, they can have what ever the want as long as it is recognised by the very community it wants to govern, and its influence do not go beyond those areas. However, the bigger problem is that there is already an existing community - i.e Lagos with a similar system in place. From what I can conclude, allowing the tittle to go ahead will lead to future problems. For example, will the King in Lagos be able to ask the "Eze king" to do certain things and not??

Also, it sort of sound weird that people who wants to be rule other people, when it comes to title like this should ideally be from a "Royal blood". But then, this is Nigeria and anything can happen. smiley
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by bawomolo(m): 4:19pm On May 07, 2009
what's with the Nigerian obsession with titles (whether traditional or professional?)
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ElRazur: 4:22pm On May 07, 2009
bawomolo:

what's with the Nigerian obsession with titles (whether traditional or professional?)

I remember writing a thread about our obsession with titles. Every one likes to feel big and prove something, when in actual fact people like me do not give a toss about such titles.

From now on, I should be addressed as Prince, Eng. Dr. Chief ElRazur of Great Britain. Bsc. Msc. Phd. Ait. Nta. BBC.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by asha80(m): 4:23pm On May 07, 2009
Let for me i will execute anyperson parading himself as eze ndi igbo anywhere in the world.Nonsense.
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by asha80(m): 4:26pm On May 07, 2009
@Elrazur

What is the difference btw what u wrote here

Who are these "most" you speak of? There appears to be a lot of people agreeing with the ban.  And a lot of people criticizing the guy who made a stupid statement from the beginning

And what Nuzo wrote here

nuzo:

@hackney

Do you realise that you and Nuzo are saying the same thing
Re: Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title by ElRazur: 4:29pm On May 07, 2009
asha 80:

@Elrazur

What is the difference btw what u wrote here
[/b]

And what Nuzo wrote here

The difference is I never called majority of the people a slowpoke. Please read his post again and see where am coming from. His post will suggest majority of the people here disagree with the ban, and he is just coming here to inform us the "most igbo agrees". When in fact, majority of the people support the move by the Lagos government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Power Minister To TCN: Perform Or Bow Out / Delta PDP Elders Drag Clark To EFCC Over Failed Contracts / How Gov. Amaechi Defrauded Rivers State With Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium Contract

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.