Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Are script writers holding African movies back? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are script writers holding African movies back? (710 Views)

Do You Remember These Indian Movies Back In The Days? / Actors Holding Artificial Heads Of Segun Arinze & Moses Armstrong On Set / If You Watched Atleast 3 Of These Movies Back Then... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are script writers holding African movies back? by AfricanScript: 5:02am On Oct 29, 2015
Nollywood definitely made progress with its image quality issues, but one enduring problem is the poor, repetitive or plagiarized story-lines.
The question is what can be done to bring the best movie script writers out into the open, to rectify this situation.

The African Diaspora might have to start writing script for Nollywood to get us out of this mediocre story line impasse.
Although, script writers living in Africa should have a better sense of how/what to write.

Why can't Nollywood producers locate great, unique and non-repetitive movie stories?
What are the main script writer associations in Nigeria?
How do script writers grow in their craft?

1 Like

Re: Are script writers holding African movies back? by jascon1(m): 5:17am On Oct 29, 2015
No, movie watchers are.
Re: Are script writers holding African movies back? by chival(f): 9:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
Oh, I can assure you that great scriptwriters abound in Nigeria. At the risk of sounding immodest, I think I am a very good scriptwriter.

Unfortunately, those of us who make a living churning out scripts, are faced with a plethora of issues.

I for one, have been forced over and over to churn out movie scripts of over 100 scenes in a week. Nollywood producers for the most part seem to have their feet solidly planted in the past. I have been repeatedly told to write scripts based on what they feel are trending. One person does a movie about a mystic river, and suddenly all producers want something in that mould.

Another problem is lack of funds. I have had to rewrite scripts to make it cheaper and faster to produce. Of course, that hampers creativity. Some producers have told me my scripts are outlandish, and too difficult/expensive to achieve.

Again, good scriptwriters, a lot of the time are not afforded the opportunity to meet adventurous producers and directors who will do justice to their scripts.

3 Likes

Re: Are script writers holding African movies back? by prof800(m): 11:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
Maybe or maybe not.
Re: Are script writers holding African movies back? by Brimmie(m): 11:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
chival:
Oh, I can assure you that great scriptwriters abound in Nigeria. At the risk of sounding immodest, I think I am a very good scriptwriter.

Unfortunately, those of us who make a living churning out scripts, are faced with a plethora of issues.

I for one, have been forced over and over to churn out movie scripts of over 100 scenes in a week. Nollywood producers for the most part seem to have their feet solidly planted in the past. I have been repeatedly told to write scripts based on what they feel are trending. One person does a movie about a mystic river, and suddenly all producers want something in that mould.

Another problem is lack of funds. I have had to rewrite scripts to make it cheaper and faster to produce. Of course, that hampers creativity. Some producers have told me my scripts are outlandish, and too difficult/expensive to achieve.

Again, good scriptwriters, a lot of the time are not afforded the opportunity to meet adventurous producers and directors who will do justice to their scripts.

Hi!

Can I have some of the scripts in your "trash can"? wink

I want to do a short film.. and really need something not so difficult to achieve.
Re: Are script writers holding African movies back? by chival(f): 3:18am On Oct 31, 2015
Brimmie:

Hi!

Can I have some of the scripts in your "trash can"? wink

I want to do a short film.. and really need something not so difficult to achieve.

What do you have in mind for your short? Do you have a theme? A synopsis? Or will anything do?

I don't have a ready written script for a short film at the moment. I have a couple of full length movie scripts though. Let me know what you need and let's see if we can work something out.
Re: Are script writers holding African movies back? by Brimmie(m): 8:56am On Oct 31, 2015
chival:

What do you have in mind for your short? Do you have a theme? A synopsis? Or will anything do?

I don't have a ready written script for a short film at the moment. I have a couple of full length movie scripts though. Let me know what you need and let's see if we can work something out.

I'm glad you replied.

Well, I need something "youthful". It doesn't really matter the genre or theme. Because for now, I 'ld probably be doing it on "Zero Budget". And it's only folks I know that can do that for free.

So I need something youths can relate with..
Romance-comedy (not pure romance)
Crime (like Phone Theft or trendy stuffs like that)
Action-Comedy

(1) (Reply)

Pls How Do I Get & Add Subtitles To Movie? / Multichoice Nigeria Announces NO PRICE INCREASE For Dstv Subscribers / Most Awaited Movie Batman V Superman Dawn Of Justice Now In Theaters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.