Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,567 members, 7,812,836 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary (2075 Views)

Ifeanyi Ubah Builds A Catholic Cathedral In Nnewi, Anambra (Photos) / Gunmen Kill Worshippers At A Catholic Church In Ozubulu, Anambra State (Graphic) / Statue Of Mary 'begins Weeping Blood' At A Church In Argentina (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by NIJJAking(m): 8:41am On Oct 29, 2015
catholics pretend and lie to themselves that they dont worship mary. A catholic friend and i had a heated debate on the allegation that catholics worship mary as co equal with God ,my friend vehemently rejected the notion that they worship her but only accords her honour as the mother of God, then i asked him if that be case why is mary called the queen of heaven and of all spiritual and earthly beings, he answered because God made her that way. I then asked him who is the king of heaven and he asnwered Jesus christ. If then Jesus christ is the king and mary is the Queen as they claim that automatically makes her a GOD which they also worship and not just honour. He became confused.
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Adaowerri111: 8:42am On Oct 29, 2015
they dont
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Lindons(f): 8:44am On Oct 29, 2015
We honour Blessed Virgin Mary,we do not worship her.Get it into your head!
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 29, 2015
Lindons:
you dey mind am
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by ELTON123(m): 9:06am On Oct 29, 2015
Lindons:
no mind am, na this jehova witness people wey no de let person rest.
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 9:10am On Oct 29, 2015
NIJJAking:
catholics pretend and lie to themselves that they dont worship mary. A catholic friend and i had a heated debate on the allegation that catholics worship mary as co equal with God ,my friend vehemently rejected the notion that they worship her but only accords her honour as the mother of God, then i asked him if that be case why is mary called the queen of heaven and of all spiritual and earthly beings, he answered because God made her that way. I then asked him who is the king of heaven and he asnwered Jesus christ. If then Jesus christ is the king and mary is the Queen as they claim that automatically makes her a GOD which they also worship and not just honour. He became confused.

Both of you are confused. Mary never claimed mother of God nor Jesus claim God. .

1 Like

Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Ubenedictus(m): 9:17am On Oct 29, 2015
Catholics are always clear that they do not consider mary to be God or equal to God. Mary is queen becos she is d mother of the king.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 29, 2015
And exactly what is your business if I worship Mary?
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 29, 2015
dmandy:

You worship mary
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by parisbookaddict(f): 11:02am On Oct 29, 2015
dmandy:

If u worship mary then its idolatry. .
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 29, 2015
parisbookaddict:

If u worship mary then its idolatry. .

So?
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by italo3: 11:53am On Oct 29, 2015
If I considered Mary my God, would I even have they nerve to deny her?

Some Protestants and this habit of not using their brains.

1 Like

Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by channelz: 1:51pm On Oct 31, 2015
dmandy:

So?
What does your Bible say about idolatry?
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 31, 2015
Exodus 20 vs 4 - 5 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

2 Likes

Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2015
channelz:
What does your Bible say about idolatry?

the same thing it says about lying and false accusation
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by channelz: 12:39pm On Nov 01, 2015
dmandy:

the same thing it says about lying and false accusation
[b]I think I get your point and I'm glad you fully understand that Commandment which Christ purposely and designedly called the supreme law when speaking to the Pharisees.

To be quite clear on this, I'd say:

It is idolatry and an open transgression against the holiest of all Divine Commandments when one renders to a symbol the homage which is due only to God!

When one man prostrates himself before a carven image, another before the sun, and a third before the monstrance, they are all trespassing against God’s supreme law IF in doing so they see in it the Living God Himself, and consequently expect from it immediate Divine Grace and Blessing! The actual trespass and open idolatry lie in such a false assumption, expectation and intuition!

This kind of idolatry is often practised with the greatest fervour, although in different forms, by the followers of many religions.

It is different with pure symbolism. Every symbol serves a good and helpful purpose as long as it is seriously regarded as such. It will help very many people when they gaze upon it to a greater and deeper concentration. Many a man who looks upon the symbols of his religion will find it easier to direct his thoughts more clearly towards his God, no matter by what name he has learned to call Him. It would therefore be wrong to doubt the high value of religious ceremonies and symbolism, as long as they do not degenerate into direct adoration and worship of the material object.[/b]
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by charlsecy(m): 9:07pm On Nov 01, 2015
NIJJAking:
catholics pretend and lie to themselves that they dont worship mary. A catholic friend and i had a heated debate on the allegation that catholics worship mary as co equal with God ,my friend vehemently rejected the notion that they worship her but only accords her honour as the mother of God.......
I was born a Catholic. However, I wouldn't accept practices that I strongly believe go against specific Biblical instructions. I wouldn't ask Mary for protecion. I wouldn't bow before statues.

2 Likes

Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Empredboy(m): 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2015
charlsecy:

I was born a Catholic. However, I wouldn't accept practices that I strongly believe go against specific Biblical instructions. I wouldn't ask Mary for protecion. I wouldn't bow before statues.
but no body asked you. Since you left the church ask yourself these question. (1) has your spiritual life improved (2) have you stopped having the same problem you were having when you were in Catholic? (3) can you confidently say now you are righteous that if the Lord comes now you will make heaven. So please the church is not begging people to stay just as Christ was not asking his disciples to stay. He told them categorically that his road is rough. So if Catholic doctrine is not biblical remember that Christ whom we follow too was accused the same way that he wasn't of God. That was why he said a prophet is not recognised in his own town. Catholic don't expect you to understand them cos Christ himself wasn't understood because he spoke in parables.

1 Like

Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 4:44am On Nov 02, 2015
@Empredboy- brother, I promise to engage in the following discuss with all sincerity of heart. I was born and bred a catholic. Infact I have spent more years in the catholic church than I have spent as a pentecostal. I was baptised, first holy communion, legion of Mary, charismatic etc. And I left.......
1. Not under any compulsion, not convinced by anybody. When u are born again, my brother, the first thing u realise is that u have I direct access to God by faith alone ( Eph 3:12, He 4:16, ROM 5: 2) YOU DON'T NEED IMAGES. no where in scripture, NOT A SINGLE VERSE, enjoins us to do so. Rather the very opposite. I just realised that those things were only an obstacle and a distraction from God. Not image was ever made of old testament saints Elijah, Moses, etc because God commanded them not to.(Exo 20: 4, Deut 5:cool
2.There is plenty of religion in the church but little spiritual LifeI.
3. Most of the people, Especially the youth, are sinful..... and I owe no apology. You cannot even find worthy examples to follow.
4. Only little bible is preached. The SERMONS are rich in stories and traditions but little scripture. Salvation is never preached! And I mean that. The very basis of the christian life... Except a man is born again he shall not see the kingdom of God..... That was the message of Jesus.
5. There are many lifeless practices that only distract a man from a true experience of salvation. The church is FULL of them.. Sacraments, saints, rosary, scapulars, etc These things do not save. Only the blood of Jesus. Faith in Jesus is ALL SUFFICIENT. Faith in Christ does not require support. It is all-sufficient to save( Romans 10: 8,9,10)
And yes my spiritual improved drastically, improved is an understatement, it skyrocketed! It was as if I was suddenly liberated, because I sincerely loved God. Many of those things and the environment just were not conducive. And if there is any thing that I know for sure, CATHOLICS LOVE GOD!
.................. But not according to knowledge (ROM 10:2)
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 5:16am On Nov 02, 2015
@ Empredboy
Plus the following
1. While a catholic, I was helpless! I knew little about spiritual authority. I could not exercise any authority for myself. I pray only helpless prayers, needless to say with little answers. You see, Demons, sickness and diseases don't bow at the mention of the name of saint Patrick! Recitation! Rosaries! They only bow to faith loaded mention of the name of Jesus.
2. I read the bible as a catholic... But my level of comprehension of spiritual truths was hampered largely by the spectacles that I wore- church tradition. And I must add that CATHOLICS LARGELY DO NOT READ THE BIBLE . those who do, do not study it for its own merit.
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 02, 2015
@Empredboy
As for the road being rough..... There is nothing rough about the road of the catholic church. It is a CONVENIENT CHURCH. It accommodates any kind of lifestyle. It indeed is a CONVENIENT CHURCH. It is CONSCIENCE CONVENIENT, TIME CONVENIENT AND SOCIALLY CONVENIENT.
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Empredboy(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2015
accountable:
@Empredboy
As for the road being rough..... There is nothing rough about the road of the catholic church. It is a CONVENIENT CHURCH. It accommodates any kind of lifestyle. It indeed is a CONVENIENT CHURCH. It is CONSCIENCE CONVENIENT, TIME CONVENIENT AND SOCIALLY CONVENIENT.
OK let's take it one after the other. I thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience about the church. I won't use "rough " instead let me say "understand" cos people never understood Jesus teachings and ideology. So the same with the church. Even Christ said his thoughts are not our thoughts , so what man think is good for him mostly is not good in the sight of God. So pentecostal may be convenient for you what about God? Is it convenient with God? Thank you also for saying catholics love God which is the sure thing. You talk about sickness and diseases that now they bow at the name of Jesus in ur church. Does that mean you don't sick again or you don't encounter challenges? Know that Christ whom we all follow never promised you good health, money but only assure you of salvation. "seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and every other things shall be added to it" everyother thing that he meant was contentment of mind and body. So bro you saying Catholic don't preach salvation. Thank God you were ones a member. The church is so rich in knowledge that you and I know that 4 Bible passages are read on Sundays while three on weekdays. 1 from the old, 1 from psalm 1 from the new and the last gospel. So the readings of that day determines what the priest will preach upon unlike when a pastor just pick a verse and preach. Reason this final point the Jews never believed anything good can come of Nazareth so that believe also affected Jesus cos he is from Nazareth. So nothing good can ever come from Catholic becos it's on God foundation. As you said we love (catholics) Jesus so if Nazareth birth place of Christ was bad to the people of old, what do you expect people of now to say about the institution of Christ?
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Daniel058(m): 6:29pm On Jan 22, 2016
Very interesting topic
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 22, 2016
some 'honor' accorded Mary by catholics. I dare say by 'catholics' not God.

**All graces God gives to human beings pass through the hands of Mary; no creature has received any grace
from God except through the hands of Mary.
**Those souls will fall and be lost who do not have recourse to Mary.
**The Lord wants us to place our hope for salvation and for every blessing in Mary.
**When we pray to the Mother of God we are heard more quickly than when we call directly on the name of
Jesus.
**Mary is the most faithful mediatrix of our salvation; she has been made the ladder to paradise, the gate of
heaven, the most true mediatrix between God and human beings.
**In the name of Mary every knee should bend, of things in heaven, on earth and under the earth. Mary
saves all who have recourse to her.
**Mary is the door through which sinners come to God.
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by sonmvayina(m): 9:33pm On Jan 22, 2016
my own point of view is that she is Lucifer....the morning star. this is one of her title, so by extension all christian worship the son of Lucifer, i guess she has finally risen above the most high through her son. which was what she wanted from the beginning..
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 22, 2016
meh
Re: My Argument With A Catholic On The Deity Of Mary by Raphael81(m): 2:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
NIJJAking:

illiteracy has killed u again bro

(1) (Reply)

Paul Say He Will Be Here When Christ Returns / Kenneth Hagin Life Messages And Book Archive / French Muslims Refuse To Bury Teenager Who Killed Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.