Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,620 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? (41301 Views)

Investor Stakes $450 Million On New Free Trade Zone, To Build Ships In Nigeria / 32 Ships Laden With Petroleum Products, Food Items, To Arrive Lagos Ports / Amazon Now Ships Any Item To Nigeria And Kenya - No Third Party Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 5:42pm On Oct 30, 2015
Deltagiant pointed out that the Port of New Orleans is reached through a river that's in a port that is further away from New Orleans, than some towns are from Abia State. I'm wondering, is the coast and the river itself suitable enough to take large container ships or even bigger to deliver goods directly to southern Abia State. There can be a proposed port around Azumini and an artificial lake similar to the Volta in Ghana plus river widening could be part of a proposed project if parties are serious enough.

13 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Beesluv: 5:43pm On Oct 30, 2015
hmm

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2015
Similar is also London's Canary Wharf which is also thirty miles inland.

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Herald47: 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2015
It can accomodate large ship when dredged,right now it can only accomodate boats and ferries.that river is a great asset to abians and south east as a whole.

24 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by itstpia8: 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
what's the distance between the area and river niger/benue?

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by agohmamuda(m): 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
We would have used my ship to confirm if it can or not but my brother went out with it with his friends. If you can wait sha, till he comes.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by moderation2020: 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
I suspect you want to import amunition, am very sure is for biafran army grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
itstpia8:
what's the distance between the area and river niger/benue?

180 miles from Onitsha/Asaba to coast.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by itstpia8: 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
agohmamuda:
We would have used my ship to confirm if it can or not but my brother went out with it with his friends. If you can wait sha, till he comes.

the thread should still be here.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by itstpia8: 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

180 miles from Onitsha/Asaba to coast.

i mean how far is the river niger/benue from the area you outlined.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 5:57pm On Oct 30, 2015
If it is widened and dredged enough, anything is possible.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 6:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
itstpia8:

i mean how far is the river niger/benue from the area you outlined.

The Nun (Niger mouth) is over 50 miles away.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 6:04pm On Oct 30, 2015
Distance from Aba River.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by itstpia8: 6:06pm On Oct 30, 2015
well, here's a thread which attempted to discuss this:

https://www.nairaland.com/1349955/se-access-sea

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:
Distance from Aba River.

By my calculations the closest area of Abia state to the mouth of the Imo Estuary is about 40kms or 25 Miles as the crow flies.
Egypt built and completed the second Suez Canal of similar distance: 22 Miles within A YEAR (Aug 2014-Aug 2015), with the help of International contractors for a cost of $8.4 Billion.

So yes, it is possible..... cheesy

14 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 6:19pm On Oct 30, 2015
scholes0:

By my calculations the closest area of Abia state to the mouth of the Imo Estuary is about 40kms or 25 Miles
Egypt built and completed the second Suez Canal of similar distance: 22 Miles within A YEAR (Aug 2015-Aug 2015), with the help of International contractors for a cost of $8.4 Billion.
So yes, it is possible..... cheesy

I also factored in the bends in the river. This is definitely possible. I believe this should be seriously considered by some "south east" (Igbo) investors and basically creating a new river on the Aba river which is like only a stream now, can you imagine a port in Aba directly connected to the coast.

14 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Omololu007(m): 6:21pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ibos on dis thread they make me laugh out loud grin...so the Mali government can wake up one day and start dredging the River Niger all the way from koulikoro in mali down to Niger,from Niger republic to benin republic,from benin republic to lokoja in Nigeria,from lokoja in Nigeria down to onitsha in the south eastern part of Nigeria,from onitsha down to the atlantic ocean all because they have the fund and the river Niger is an international water grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Omololu007(m): 6:22pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

I also factored in the bends in the river. This is definitely possible. I believe this should be seriously considered by some "south east" (Igbo) investors and basically creating a new river on the Aba river which is like only a stream now, can you imagine a port in Aba directly connected to the coast.
is it only ibos that are living along the coast line of dis imo river?

10 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 6:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

They can't create a new river from the Aba river, because the feeding headwaters from higher ground further inland will continue to contribute the same volume, either the Aba river channel is widened/deepened or not, it will just become a very wide gully similar to the grand canyon (Wide and deep but waterless). you get the drift?
The best thing to do is dredge the Imo which already has enough volume to Ukwa East Local Government, and then convey goods from there into and from the Aba metropolis via 4*4 (Or less preferably 2*2) Highways. Rail can also be considered later.

21 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by itstpia8: 6:27pm On Oct 30, 2015
btw, New Orleans is below sea level, and the city has a system of canals and locks to prevent flooding. This may have also facilitated the development of such a large port inland.

Is Aba ( or the area pictured) below sea level?

This type of project would also involve large scale resettlement and displacement of the communities along the route. In short, they'd lose their lands.

5 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 6:27pm On Oct 30, 2015
Omololu007:
is it only ibos that are living along the coast line of dis imo river?

The river bank is almost all mangrove and forest.

scholes0:

They can't create a new river from the Aba river, because the feeding headwaters from higher ground further inland will continue to contribute the same volume, either the Aba river channel is widened/deepened or not, it will just become a very wide gully similar to the grand canyon (Wide and deep but waterless). you get the drift?
The best thing to do is dredge the Imo which already has enough volume to Ukwa East Local Government, and then convey goods from there into and from the Aba metropolis via 4*4 (Or less preferably 2*2) Highways. Rail can also be considered later.

I see what you mean.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 6:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
Perhaps the Aba River can be made into a canal.

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 6:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:
Perhaps the Aba River can be made into a canal.

A Canal links two bodies of water, What will be the water body at the opposite end of the Aba canal? The Aba township surely doesn't look like a sea to me cheesy
I have given you the best choice available. Now, All you have to do is build a partnership with AKSG and RSG to get this done, if you lots are rilly serious about it, that is.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 6:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
scholes0:

A Canal links two bodies of water, What will be the water body at the opposite end of the Aba canal? The Aba township surely doesn't look like a sea to me cheesy
I have given you the best choice available. Now, All you have to do is build a partnership with AKSG and RSG to get this done, if you lots are rilly serious about it, that is.

What do you mean? There's enough drainage in the area and enough rivers to channel into the canal, plus the Imo River is linked on the other side of Aba as well.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 6:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

What do you mean? There's enough drainage in the area and enough rivers to channel into the canal, plus the Imo River is linked on the other side of Aba as well.

Considering that the cost of building Super Highways and rail tracks is much cheaper that that involved in building artificial shipping lanes, and you begin the get the general Idea. The only other thing needed after building a port on the banks of the dredged Imo in Ukwa East is a 32 km Highway. Very short distance and direct. That is about 18 minutes on the road for cars..... And lets say 25 minutes on the road for heavy duty vehicles

Any attempt and dredging further inland than that will be pushing it. From the map itself you can see that the Imo looks to be widest/naturally wide enough, only starting from around the Abia-Akwa-Ibom-Rivers Tri-point area. The Thames is not the Aba River, my brother.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by zuchyblink(m): 6:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
what of Azumini river? Can't it be dredged?
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 7:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
scholes0:

Considering that the cost of building Super Highways and rail tracks is much cheaper that that involved in building artificial shipping lanes, and you begin the get the general Idea. The only other thing needed after building a port on the banks of the dredged Imo in Ukwa East is a 32 km Highway. Very short distance and direct. That is about 18 minutes on the road for cars..... And lets say 25 minutes on the road for heavy duty vehicles

Any attempt and dredging further inland than that will be pushing it. The Thames is not the Aba River, my brother.

It's a canal, not a river. The canal frees up traffic and can be used for small trade and alternate transport.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by omoelesa(m): 7:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
Biafrans looking for a way not to be landlocked.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 7:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
omoelesa:
Biafrans looking for a way not to be landlocked.

Listen to your signature and go and jerk off or something if you're mad or frustrated.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
there is no SE governor with that type of sense, foresight, love for Igbo, or even vision to see this through
they are all hausa slaves

12 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Scholes007(m): 7:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
relchange:
there is no SE governor with that type of sense, foresight, love for Igbo, or even vision to see this through
i think you are wrong? The problem should be finance and some administrative bottle neck

5 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 7:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
relchange:

It would require cooperation with Rivers/Akwa Ibom as well.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cubana Chief Priest Slams "Dirty Minded Broke People" / Remains Of Herbert Wigwe, His Wife & Son In Church For Funeral Service (video) / Femi Otedola With Dangote And His Daughter, Halima (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.