Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,444 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? - Business (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? (41419 Views)

Investor Stakes $450 Million On New Free Trade Zone, To Build Ships In Nigeria / 32 Ships Laden With Petroleum Products, Food Items, To Arrive Lagos Ports / Amazon Now Ships Any Item To Nigeria And Kenya - No Third Party Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2015
matrixme:
Even if you succeed in bringing all the igbo states an inch to the sea, with all its economic advantages, What would form the bulk of your export? Since your commercial cities are known more for imports than export. Do you really have the population advantage as a tribe to sustain yourself economically? Even China with its massive population size has recently abandoned one child policy for obvious reasons. Forming a country sounds good, abstractly, but it is tough work in reality.

you should think #east first, then you will know what will be done.

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2015
matrixme:
Even if you succeed in bringing all the igbo states an inch to the sea, with all its economic advantages, What would form the bulk of your export? Since your commercial cities are known more for imports than export. Do you really have the population advantage as a tribe to sustain yourself economically? Even China with its massive population size has recently abandoned one child policy for obvious reasons. Forming a country sounds good, abstractly, but it is tough work in reality.
we are going to export agricultural produce from the north(middle belt), we are going to export limestone in ebonyi, we are going to export palm produce, we are going to export our finished products, to igbos scattered all over the world who would act as channel of distribution; what our igbo brothers do in china and America and other foreign countries whereby they go abroad, and start exporting things to there brothers in Nigeria, we would do it the other way round, we would export our made in Nigeria(igbo land) products to them over there to sell. the list goes on.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 5:18pm On Oct 31, 2015
What everyone needs to understand is that, the eastern region is a relatively small region. Many people may say then, it is a problem. Oh no, it isnt. it is a blessing in disguise. the region is the most strategically located region in nigeria. abia state for instance can connect every other parts of the eastern region within an hour. if you are very intelligent, then you should know what that means in terms of economic capability of the region. what is produced in abia can get to anambra within an hour.

No state in the east that is not blessed:

Anambra state: oil, agriculture, coal, iron ore and very large human capital development
imo: oil, iron ore, agriculture and human capital development
enugu: very large deposit of coal and human capital development
Abia: oil, agriculture, and very large capital development.
ebonyi: home of eastern agriculture, limestone and human capital development.

we have other igbo groups i wish not to mention for the sanity of this thread. but in all, we wont beg, we will live well

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by zuchyblink(m): 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2015
Aigbofa:

Are you freaking stu.pid? Everything about you folks is emotion based and little common sense. This is a pie in the sky scheme and it is doomed like every schemes you have ever conceived.
Bla bla bla this is not river Niger, can you even locate the south east on a map? Bloody ape.
You are crying because ur economy will go moribund and comatose if this project is actualized

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2015
Lol. I will definitely make a contribution where necessary. This is not just my area of expertise, so I am quietly learning from you guys who obviously know a thing or two, about how this laudable project can be achieved.

VickJames:

nne, nsogbu adiro

it is not by enjoying the thread. it is by working towards making it a reality.

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 5:21pm On Oct 31, 2015
nwanlecha:
Lol. I will definitely make a contribution where necessary. This is not just my area of expertise, so I am quietly learning from you guys who obviously know a thing or two, about how this laudable project can be achieved.

no wahala.

when it is time, we will discuss better

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ruffDiamond: 5:24pm On Oct 31, 2015
nwanlecha:
I love the discussion going on here but y'all should beware about exposing some vital information in an open forum like this. Some information are better relayed through E-mails and private messages. There are lots of people from certain tribes, who fast and pray for the Igbo nation to never rise again. The evidence abounds on this thread and all over Nairaland.
nobody gat time for ya all I'll mannered scums of the earth and disrespectful lots whatever u people planning abt whareva is nobody concern except to enlighten u further that WITHOT THE BACKING OF FG AND necessary LAW NOT TO MENTION FINANCE ,IT REMAINS JUST WHAT IT WAS :A MIRAGE AND PIPE DREAM AND THIRDLY IN CASE IT'S AN AGENDA IN FURTHERANCE OF YOUR Biafra MISCREANTS AGITATORS,,THEN IT BECOME A TRASON,THEN Y'ALL WILL HAV THEE WRATH OF FG TO CONTEND WITH tongue BIG TIME ask that albino miscreant KANU dem din format and reset I'm brain properly for am tongue every inch of yr land belong to NIGERIA and nebiafraud maginary Biafra don't ever FORGET THIS AS LONG AS U LIVE cool
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tonychristopher: 5:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
ruffDiamond:
nobody gat time for ya all I'll mannered scums of the earth and disrespectful lots whatever u people planning abt whareva is nobody concern except to enlighten u further that WITHOT THE BACKING OF FG AND NECESSARILY LAW NOT TO MENTION FINANCE ,IT REMAINS JUST WHAT IT WAS :A MIRAGE AND PIPE DREAM AND THIRDLY IN CASE IT'S AN AGENDA IN FURTHERANCE OF YOUR Biafra MISCREANTS AGITATORS,,THEN IT BECOME A TRASON,THEN Y'ALL WILL HAV THEE WRATH OF FG TO CONTEND WITH tongue BIG TIME

One if the despicable has spoken ..pls hear him out

5 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by zuchyblink(m): 5:38pm On Oct 31, 2015
this is going to be a great project. With this,i'm motivated to push for an only-igbo-biafra.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by IlesanmiG: 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2015
Ebonyi: Home of eastern agriculture, just LOL. ask urself if they enjoy doing 'Rice Floating', or if they preferred their empty wells come December? u must actually import agricultural produce if you intend to feed in your biafra, unless of course you import tons of fertilizer for your clay soil first. lol funny people. I even heard u 'true igbos' once argued their "igboship"
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ruffDiamond: 5:41pm On Oct 31, 2015
tonychristopher:

One if the despicable has spoken ..pls hear him out
yeah one of the LOw life hateful ,HaTEfiLLED born baby factory product child OF H-A-T-E HAS has fuvked her way to my mention *in fela s voice*b-East of no Nation cool
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 31, 2015
zuchyblink:
this is going to be a great project. With this,i'm motivated to push for an only-igbo-biafra.
u guys are the ones that would ruin it with your Biafran tendencies, dont u know that by bringing in Bifran tendencies or secession into it u are giving the Nigerian govt a reason not to allow it, pls behave.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Kirigidi(m): 5:55pm On Oct 31, 2015
[quote author=VickJames post=39527721]I only comment on intelligent threads like this.
The dredging of the river is very possible and can be done without interfering with other peoples lives and properties.. the weather will favour the igbos because with the increase in global warming, the sea will come to us and we wont do much in dredging the river....

U said u only comment on intelligent thread, but ur analysis of d project is very laughable, childish nd funny. It just exposd ur of lack ideas or knowledge about technilities nd processes involvd in plannin nd executn of projects of such magnitude. How wil u say such massive project can b executed witout d approval or involvment of both Rivers nd Akwa-Ibom States whose territories d Imo River traverses nd wish u wil dredge in d process? How wil u also say d dredgin won't interfer wit d life nd properties of d pipo living around it? Is it not human-beings dat own d lands nd swamps borderin d Imo River or u ignorantly think it's no-man's land? Guy, wake u

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 31, 2015
[quote author=Kirigidi post=39554800][/quote]
the way u are talking is asif igbos want to steal the swamp away, dont worry we wont stop activities there after all the yorubas are the most intelligent businessmen on earth so if they dont come to the east to invest the ports wont work grin, so we would just build it for design wink wink wink. So dont be scared after all are we not the gala sellers and drug dealers again who only own 2 by 2 shops? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by step272: 6:22pm On Oct 31, 2015
Those who don't even no where or direction to south east will be saying south east is landlock.is abuja or other northern state ocean area before it developed, afterall most state in the north are developed better than south south and south west who claimed the are the owner of the Atlantic ocean.now how many people comment here all of them have shamed that's y they refused to comment
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by HopeAtHand: 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

u guys are the ones that would ruin it with your Biafran tendencies, dont u know that by bringing in Bifran tendencies or secession into it u are giving the Nigerian govt a reason not to allow it, pls behave.

As much as i hate to admit it, but ure absolutely right..If Igbos play their politics right in Nigeria as Nigerians, they stand to benefit alot from Nigerian state..This project can be easily be achieved as a federal project thereby avoiding the cost being spread on the entire SE and also avoid the legal implications of criss-crossing other territories.

Jonathan lost his re-election and the Igbos went beserk.Igbos practically cried more than the bereaved..Igbos cried and are still crying when the Ijaws and SS have long moved on.Time and energy Igbos would have used for building political bridges and alliances were used to nag and wail.Lemme not even mention Nnamdi Kanu and his purposeless radio.

I'm happy though that some sensible Igbos are bringing up ideas but you guys will still need to play your politics at the centre right cos even with all the financial muscle, without the blessing of the FG, it is dead on arrival..And like someone opined, the Imo river passes through friendly territories.

I cant wait for Anaechi to start work, ND and Ikwerre in particular should benefit from Buhari.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Tripleclick(m): 6:33pm On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:
ve been doing q research about this sea access via igbo land and I would say its very possible, am not saying this because of Biafra but to make Igbo land viable.
The imo River empties into the Atlantic with Aba as the closest southeast city close to it, though aba is a litylr farther south of Aba we have azumini which shares boundary with Akwa ibom and Rivers the river is quite large to accommodate barges it can also accomodate some class and size of ship but the bridge between rivers state and Akwa ibom covers it.
So what we are to do is to make like an offshore port using the oil rig design but a very large one where our ships would berge then we offload them into smaller ships/barges which transport them directly to the southeast via Aba. below are mini pictures of what I have in mind we can expand on them.
YOU IGBOS ARE KILLING ME WITH INTELLIGENCE!!!!!;!!!!; THE DAY SEAPORT WILL BE ACOMPOLISHED IN THE EAST;:: NIGERIA WILL MAKE A GOOD NEIGBOUR

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by bugzbunny: 6:36pm On Oct 31, 2015
relchange:
there is no SE governor with that type of sense, foresight, love for Igbo, or even vision to see this through
they are all hausa slaves
It requires huge capital
Nowadays some states can't pay workers salaries talkmore of capital intensive project lik this.. It also requires d consent and financial backing frm their colleagues in border states Rivers and Akwa ibom

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Tripleclick(m): 6:43pm On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:
this is why u should agitate for one Nigeria, we would achieve feats like this without any extra cost since we are one country, we can advance igbo land to be highly industrial then buy up most of the land in Kogi, benue, cross river's, rivers state, akwa ibom and turn them into farmlands which will supply us agricultural raw materials for our factories without having to pay for customs or anything we can even sell our products in far away bornu and it would be profitable because they cannot raise boundary against us or place an embargo, why for Ecowas and the rest u must not go to Lagos or Ogun or Cross river to obtain paper to travel through ecowas countries for ur goods u can do it in igbo land and all u do is once u are at the boundary show them ur papers and pass and the revenue remains in igbo land.
And you think that Nigeria Govt will welcome anything that will help Igbos all thy know is... Igbos hv a great access to import direct to east.. we will import arms, thy feel Threatened!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by bugzbunny: 6:43pm On Oct 31, 2015
HopeAtHand:

As much as i hate to admit it, but ure absolutely right..If Igbos play their politics right in Nigeria as Nigerians, they stand to benefit alot from Nigerian state..This project can be easily be achieved as a federal project thereby avoiding the cost being spread on the entire SE and also avoid the legal implications of criss-crossing other territories.

Jonathan lost his re-election and the Igbos went beserk.Igbos practically cried more than the bereaved..Igbos cried and are still crying when the Ijaws and SS have long moved on.Time and energy Igbos would have used for building political bridges and alliances were used to nag and wail.Lemme not even mention Nnamdi Kanu and his purposeless radio.

I'm happy though that some sensible Igbos are bringing up ideas but you guys will still need to play your politics at the centre right cos even with all the financial muscle, without the blessing of the FG, it is dead on arrival..And like someone opined, the Imo river passes through friendly territories.

I cant wait for Anaechi to start work, ND and Ikwerre in particular should benefit from Buhari.
Pls take ur politics frm this thread to Abuja

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Kirigidi(m): 6:46pm On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

the way u are talking is asif igbos want to steal the swamp away, dont worry we wont stop activities there after all the yorubas are the most intelligent businessmen on earth so if they dont come to the east to invest the ports wont work grin, so we would just build it for design wink wink wink. So dont be scared after all are we not the gala sellers and drug dealers again who only own 2 by 2 shops? grin grin
Don't get it twistd, I'm not Yoruba. I'm a Niger Deltan commentin frm Oron, Akwa-Ibom State. Guy, where in d whole world hav u seen one state (i.e. Abia) dredgin a river dat passes or flows thru anoda state (i.e. Rivers nd Akwa-Ibom) witout legal approval frm dat state? If rivers ar no-body's assets as some of u ar assumin, den, Republic of Mali, Republic of Niger nd Republic of Burkina-Faso wuldn't hav bin "landlocked" because d "River Niger" also flows thru dia lands . They wuld hav claimd right to dredge d River frm dia lands down thru Nigeria to d Niger-Delta coast.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tonychristopher: 7:19pm On Oct 31, 2015
ruffDiamond:
yeah one of the LOw life hateful ,HaTEfiLLED born baby factory product child OF H-A-T-E HAS has fuvked her way to my mention *in fela s voice*b-East of no Nation cool

Can somebody five this tot fertiliser one needs to grow up here
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Neplusultra(f): 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2015
This is the kind of thread av bin looking forward to reading here! Very nice! Pls Ignore any jobless idiot seeking notice!

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 31, 2015
Kirigidi:
Don't get it twistd, I'm not Yoruba. I'm a Niger Deltan commentin frm Oron, Akwa-Ibom State. Guy, where in d whole world hav u seen one state (i.e. Abia) dredgin a river dat passes or flows thru anoda state (i.e. Rivers nd Akwa-Ibom) witout legal approval frm dat state? If rivers ar no-body's assets as some of u ar assumin, den, Republic of Mali, Republic of Niger nd Republic of Burkina-Faso wuldn't hav bin "landlocked" because d "River Niger" also flows thru dia lands . They wuld hav claimd right to dredge d River frm dia lands down thru Nigeria to d Niger-Delta coast.
is mali in Nigeria?
I dont know why most of u are so pained about it would a port in igbo land make Akwa-Ibom stop receiving its allocations wont it be to the benefit of all Nigerians also? undecided.

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Chuksgeo: 8:39pm On Oct 31, 2015
Omololu007:
Ibos on dis thread they make me laugh out loud grin...so the Mali government can wake up one day and start dredging the River Niger all the way from koulikoro in mali down to Niger,from Niger republic to benin republic,from benin republic to lokoja in Nigeria,from lokoja in Nigeria down to onitsha in the south eastern part of Nigeria,from onitsha down to the atlantic ocean all because they have the fund and the river Niger is an international water grin

meaning?

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by somegirl1: 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2015
tsdarkside:

i beg you,pleeeeeease,dont encourage them...its a bad idea.....they should learn to live with their brothers and sisters and fight with us to achieve a brighter future toghether...our problem is not a river,our problem is our leaders that we can not controll...we must find a way toghether to control our leaders....

btw...from were do you want to get this type of huge money to finance this ideas??.......wouldnt you still need the nigerians??...is it wise to make enemys out of the rest of nigeria,that can make everything much harder for you to achieve..??....

and i tell you,even if you succeed to leave nigeria,,,the nigerians will try everything to sabotage you...next step,would be war,what the nigerian goverment wants....they know,they can defeat you anytime....nigerian army would be activated to 100%...this is what they want,,,...war makes the economie thrieve....it is absurd...but its facts.....

So your initial posts discouraging this initiative was borne out of fear of Igbo secession nothing more.
You guys have stated that you don't need Igbos and you only need Ijaws and laughed at the prospect of Igbos having a landlocked nation, like there aren't several landlocked countries across the world.

8 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2015
Kirigidi:

My brother, these people are selfish and myopic.

The thought they can just dredge another man's land without an agreement.

If they need the seapoet badly, why can they build them on Akwa ibom.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2015
Kirigidi:

My brother, these people are selfish and myopic.

The thought they can just dredge another man's land without an agreement.

If they need the seapoet badly, why can they build them in Akwa ibom.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by somegirl1: 9:23pm On Oct 31, 2015
KinkyAngela:
stop deluding yourself. Heeeboland WILL NEVER have a seaport. You worthless governors are yet to address the monstrous enviromental challenge you have i:e guelley erosion, but here you are, talking about seaport. LWKMD

You should be amused, not pained and terrified, if you truly believe what you stated.

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Lachynos2k2(m): 9:28pm On Oct 31, 2015
itstpia8:
btw, New Orleans is below sea level, and the city has a system of canals and locks to prevent flooding. This may have also facilitated the development of such a large port inland.

Is Aba ( or the area pictured) below sea level?

This type of project would also involve large scale resettlement and displacement of the communities along the route. In short, they'd lose their lands.
u mean people living inside water? I don't get it.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 9:38pm On Oct 31, 2015
Look at the coast of the delta areas, just miles and miles of ignored beaches.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by somegirl1: 9:39pm On Oct 31, 2015
ayoolanr:
I am just curious as heck, these biafrans are deluded! How can the SOUTH EAST HAVE A SEA PORT WHEN IT IS LAND LOCKED? DON'T THEY HAVE RESPECT FOR THE SS REGION? OR DO THEY THINK THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT HAVE THE RIGHT TO A REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA AND BY EXTENSION THE SOUTH SOUTH HAS NO SAY AND MOST BE PART OF THEIR SOUTH EAST? I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THEM TRY TO CONQUER SOUTH SOUTH....I TRUST THE NIGER DELTANS!!!

Are you from the SS?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Filling Station In Ogidi Anambra Sells Water As Fuel (Pictures, Video) / Dangote Opens One-stop Shop In Onitsha / Angry Lady Drives Her Car Into A Bank Hall After Waiting For Hours For Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.