Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,744 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? (41430 Views)

Investor Stakes $450 Million On New Free Trade Zone, To Build Ships In Nigeria / 32 Ships Laden With Petroleum Products, Food Items, To Arrive Lagos Ports / Amazon Now Ships Any Item To Nigeria And Kenya - No Third Party Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by investnow2013: 11:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
Projects In Abia State: 

Proposed-

Obuaku Seaport Construction: It is in the Obuaku, Ukwa West LGA, and the site lies by the Azumini River that flows into the Atlantic Ocean. And what is more, since it is just five nautical miles from the Ocean it qualifies technically as a seaport, not a river port, going by the UN’s laws. Right in Obuaku, there is a confluence point where the Imo River and the Blue River meet. The Obuaku confluence passes through Ikot-Abasi in Akwa Ibom State. This project IF achieved will open up the manufacturing and commercial sector of Abia to the entire world. Potential Contractors: NORINCO
How about that bridge somewhere in Akwaibom state along that Azumili river?.....anything along that line will involve removal of that bridge or better still building a London Tower bridge type there!.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by rhymaster: 12:05am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:
Deltagiant pointed out that the Port of New Orleans is reached through a river that's in a port that is further away from New Orleans, than some towns are from Abia State. I'm wondering, is the coast and the river itself suitable enough to take large container ships or even bigger to deliver goods directly to southern Abia State. There can be a proposed port around Azumini and an artificial lake similar to the Volta in Ghana plus river widening could be part of a proposed project if parties are serious enough.

If the river passes through non-Iboland, this whole charade is soooo dead on arrival! You think the natives of those lands will watch you cross their land, from the sea across their land to Ibo land? No fucking way is that gonna happen! Not only would you be stopped, but even if it ever happens, they can choose to dam the river at anytime, so you end up with a big hole or channel without water!!

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 12:26am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

If the river passes through non-Iboland, this whole charade is soooo dead on arrival! You think the natives of those lands will watch you cross their land, from the sea across their land to Ibo land? No fucking way is that gonna happen! Not only would you be stopped, but even if it ever happens, they can choose to dam the river at anytime, so you end up with a big hole or channel without water!!

please try to explain to them,the consequence of their ideas....they just dont want to listen...has if u.n can force me to allow you enter my house...strange thinking......

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 12:42am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

Who are the indigenous people? I bet you don't even know.

10 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by rhymaster: 1:59am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

Who are the indigenous people? I bet you don't even know.

Well, this thread is an admission of what we've always said that Ibos are landlocked! Imagine the Yorubas or SS contemplating the need for a river to accommodate large ships when they are already by the coast, with major coastlines. Ibos cannot survive or be viable without Nigeria and many of its tribes. It's only a pity they cannot see that the people they are abusing are their only lifelines. Ibos should stop trying to take the lands of others in Nigeria, just be proud of your land and be humble and we will manage to keep you eating small, small food in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 2:33am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:
Vicotex post=39528747

Good analysis, but if Aligbo is it's own country, or even not, northerners cannot block the upstream flow of the Niger, or at least, that would be met with international resistance.

Why?

lol, They can.
You would hear of a new Hydro project on the Niger near Pategi or Baro, and a Grand new Water Reservoir on the Benue near Katsina Ala or Makurdi.
E don finish b that.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 2:40am On Oct 31, 2015
scholes0:

lol, They can.
You would hear of a new Hydro project on the Niger near Pategi or Baro, and a Grand new Water Reservoir on the Benue near Katsina Ala or Makurdi.
E don finish b that.

igbobuofu[dot]com If it doesn't effect water downstream, then it's not a problem. If it does, then it's an international problem like in the case of the Nile and the countries affected will have to approve or else it's tantamount to provocation. I don't know if you people pay attention to African news talk less.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/mar/23/egypt-signs-grand-renaissance-dam-nile-deal-ethiopia-sudan

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 3:15am On Oct 31, 2015
zuchyblink:
Freedom of navigation (FON), is a principle
of customary international law that, apart
from the exceptions provided for in
international law, ships flying the flag of
any sovereign state shall not suffer
interference from other states.

this only applys to open sea,and international waters...but we are talking about a river here.......completly different situation....

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 3:17am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

If it doesn't effect water downstream, then it's not a problem. If it does, then it's an international problem like in the case of the Nile and the countries affected will have to approve or else it's tantamount to provocation. I don't know if you people pay attention to African news talk less.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/mar/23/egypt-signs-grand-renaissance-dam-nile-deal-ethiopia-sudan

Sure it will. Do you know that at their point of confluence near Lokoja the Benue infact exceeds its much longer Niger tributary in volume? When do you think this happened? Well, it happened after the building of the Kainji and Shiroro dams (on the Niger and Kaduna rivers respectively) which held back so much water and created artificial lakes through which the Niger loses huge quantities via direct evaporation from these lakes' surface areas. Same thing happened to the Nile's downstream sector in Egypt, after the building of the Aswan High dam and the creation of lake Nasser. One more dam on the Nger, and a new one on the Benue, and the river downstream (Onitsha, and all outlets in the Niger delta will shrink drastically)

Yes, it might become an international issue- but that will be a whole new case of legalities, the reason why Egypt and Sudan have any say on the use of the Nile is because of a supposed treaty signed between British administered Anglo-Egyptian-Sudan, and the otheir countries upstream (Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan E.tc), which prohibits the damming of the nile upstream, and allocates the majority of the river's volume to Egyptian use.
There is no such treaty on the Niger, Infact both the long arms of the Niger and Benue including some mileage after its confluence will be in Nigerian territory up to Idah/Agenebode and Southern Ibaji.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 3:26am On Oct 31, 2015
scholes0:

Sure it will. Do you know that at their point of confluence near Lokoja the Benue infact exceeds its much longer Niger tributary in volume? When do you think this happened? Well, it happened after the building of the Kainji and Shiroro dams (on the Niger and Kaduna rivers respectively) which held back so much water and created artificial lakes through which the Niger loses huge quantities via direct evaporation from these lakes surface areas. Same thing happened to the Nile's downstream sector in Egypt, after the building of the Aswan High dam and the creation of lake Nasser. One more dam on the Nger, and a new one on the Benue, and the river downstream (Onitsha, and all outlets in the Niger delta will shrink drastically)

Yes, it might become an international issue- but that will be a whole new case of legalities, the reason why Egypt and Sudan have any say on the use of the Nile is because of a supposed treaty signed between British administered Anglo-Egyptian-Sudan, and the their countries upstream, which prohibits the damming of the nile upstream, and allocates the majority of the river's volume to Egyptian use.
There is no such treaty on the Niger, Infract both the long arms of the Niger and Benue including some mileage after its confluence will be in Nigerian territory up to Idah/Agenebode and Southern Ibaji.

It wont happen. The majorly affected area would still supposedly be in Nigeria, anyway.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by scholes0(m): 3:30am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

It wont happen. The majorly affected area would still supposedly be in Nigeria, anyway.

Which areas? All areas North of Nzam (Anambra state) up to Lokoja, and All areas from Ndoni occupied territory in Rivers state Southwards?

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 3:34am On Oct 31, 2015
scholes0:

Which areas? All areas North of Nzam (Anambra state) up to Lokoja, and All areas from Ndoni occupied territory in Rivers state Southwards?

The majority of those areas plus the whole of Bayelsa up to okene and the rest of the Niger's watershed.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 3:47am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

Well, this thread is an admission of what we've always said that Ibos are landlocked! Imagine the Yorubas or SS contemplating the need for a river to accommodate large ships when they are already by the coast, with major coastlines. Ibos cannot survive or be viable without Nigeria and many of its tribes. It's only a pity they cannot see that the people they are abusing are their only lifelines. Ibos should stop trying to take the lands of others in Nigeria, just be proud of your land and be humble and we will manage to keep you eating small, small food in Nigeria.

So you really don't know who the indigenous people are right? You're just talking out of your behind right? What you just wrote doesn't make sense in real life because south eastern Nigeria outdoes the rest of Nigeria in all indices apart from formal GDP. All the warnings about dams and blockages are just far fetched scenarios you know will not happen. Instead of pulling your 'thing' thinking about the worst for another region, why don't you open a thread about building some ports or barriers against that rapidly decreasing coastline that the rest of Nigeria supposedly has but is doing nothing with. Try feeding yourselves maybe. And you're a fucking idiot if you can't tell me which of the three major ports in the 'south south' is accessed without going through rivers, deal?

12 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 6:23am On Oct 31, 2015
Vicotex:
We don't need the Abokis before we execute plan that will benefit our region.

What Good have they (abokis) done for SE or the nation? Nothing
stop this ur hate for northerners we need them even more than the Ijaws.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by zuchyblink(m): 6:34am On Oct 31, 2015
All these Yorubas making noise here do not know that their economy automatically becomes moribund and comatose if Igbos secedes

5 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 31, 2015
ve been doing q research about this sea access via igbo land and I would say its very possible, am not saying this because of Biafra but to make Igbo land viable.
The imo River empties into the Atlantic with Aba as the closest southeast city close to it, though aba is a litylr farther south of Aba we have azumini which shares boundary with Akwa ibom and Rivers the river is quite large to accommodate barges it can also accomodate some class and size of ship but the bridge between rivers state and Akwa ibom covers it.
So what we are to do is to make like an offshore port using the oil rig design but a very large one where our ships would berge then we offload them into smaller ships/barges which transport them directly to the southeast via Aba. below are mini pictures of what I have in mind we can expand on them.

9 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 31, 2015
humans dont know that the world has advanced so much its just ignorance and suffering and tribalism that's disturbing Nigerians, If Burj khalifa the highest building in the world can be built, if humans can turn a desert into a world centre-Dubai then is it meer port we igbos cant contend with, what is ours is ours even if Lagos like let it be number 1 even if southern minorities try to steal ph an igboid city through the ikwerres let them, nothing last forever as far as there is life there is hope, one day Oguta would be a 5star high Brough area like lekki and banana island here u would see yatchts in the lake and 5star hotels, one day those erosion spots would be a very cosy tourism spot for the whole world to see, one day the coal mines in enugu would run again, the artisans of Aba there wares would be used worldly, even innoson cars shall be a common term all over Africa and the world the list goes on. Igbos let us just keep moving necessity is always the mother of invention, this Lagos some people want to kill us over one day the only business we would have with it its to take house rents while we stay in the east.
Time shall tell.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 6:49am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

stop this ur hate for northerners we need them even more than the Ijaws.
how do we need them when they don't have access to the sea?

5 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 6:51am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

If it doesn't effect water downstream, then it's not a problem. If it does, then it's an international problem like in the case of the Nile and the countries affected will have to approve or else it's tantamount to provocation. I don't know if you people pay attention to African news talk less.

hmmm.......they put a blockade on you,and watched your women and children die of hunger....the u.n was already active then....if you think this international white-murderers give a shiit about you,then you dont understand nothing....

stop playing "we are the world"...you are black,concentrate only on black people,fvck the rest of the world.....

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 31, 2015
nice idea

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 7:06am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

we need them to check mate and put this minority in place, like it or not if this port idea pulls out one day maybe when the oil is gone these ss people would begin militancy and piracy to start sabotaging our wares because they also want us to settle community or pay them amnesty whatever too. Imagine someone that u would say let us build a house, and they would tell u; "u want to build a house with me because I have oil" they know igbos are in the SS but out o of greed they want to steal our land, the same thing they accused us of they are doing it a hundred times worse, me I know all this Biafra/Niger delta are just dreams u guys are the ones looking at there faces, if Nigeria ever divides ijaw leaders personally know that its that time we would start showing them how land is shared, that's why its only Edo people that shouts southsouth Republic the most, the rivers ijaws know what would happen, thats why they only shout southsouth Republic or Niger delta when they want some benefits but deep down they don't want it.
thats why if we choose to use the aba route, we won't interfer with them.

Btw, this plan is proposed for SE and not Igboland
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 31, 2015
u have not lived with this people so u dont know there mind set, I ve lived with them eaten with them and known how they think, some people dont really know am igbo because am very dark back then the way I spent money they thought I was either rivers or delta I ve watched them make some remarks about igbos, the only people in the whole Rivers that igbos can reason with are the ogoni people, from what I ve learnt but if its ijaw and ikwerre no waste ur time. "the our oil mentality in them is like adamantium" its indestructible.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2015
nice idea
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 7:36am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:
I ve been doing q research about this sea access via igbo land and I would say its very possible, am not saying this because of Biafra but to make Igbo land viable.
The imo River empties into the Atlantic with Aba as the closest southeast city close to it, though aba is a litylr farther south of Aba we have azumini which shares boundary with Akwa ibom and Rivers the river is quite large to accommodate barges it can also accomodate some class and size of ship but the bridge between rivers state and Akwa ibom covers it.
So what we are to do is to make like an offshore port using the oil rig design but a very large one where our ships would berge then we offload them into smaller ships/barges which transport them directly to the southeast via Aba. below are mini pictures of what I have in mind we can expand on them.

i beg you,pleeeeeease,dont encourage them...its a bad idea.....they should learn to live with their brothers and sisters and fight with us to achieve a brighter future toghether...our problem is not a river,our problem is our leaders that we can not controll...we must find a way toghether to control our leaders....

btw...from were do you want to get this type of huge money to finance this ideas??.......wouldnt you still need the nigerians??...is it wise to make enemys out of the rest of nigeria,that can make everything much harder for you to achieve..??....

and i tell you,even if you succeed to leave nigeria,,,the nigerians will try everything to sabotage you...next step,would be war,what the nigerian goverment wants....they know,they can defeat you anytime....nigerian army would be activated to 100%...this is what they want,,,...war makes the economie thrieve....it is absurd...but its facts.....

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 31, 2015
this is not a one day something, what I intend to do is;
(1) I want to sight all/most of Nigerias industries and companies in Nigeria that produces everything Nigeria imports except for those ones we cant produce thats y we need ports, but from biscuits to nylon to plastic to pipes to roofing sheets to recycling plants to auto mobile we would have such companies in igbo land. then with the aid of our people scattered all over Nigeria doing business they would act as a distribution link, we are going to meet the various ohaneze's in various states we would meet them and create a path with them, as time goes on we would even start exporting to other countries via the igbo populations there and with meetings in those coutries to know if Bringing in our products there would be profitable.
(2) I want to start a trust fund for both igbos within igbo land, Nigeria and the world, a voluntary contribution for them this trust fund would aid stuffs like scholarship, some developmental programmes like this port and fund for research and technology in igbo land.
let me stop here for some reasons but know that its not over yet Igbos would rise again.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 7:55am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

u have not lived with this people so u dont know there mind set, I ve lived with them eaten with them and known how they think, some people dont really know am igbo because am very dark back then the way I spent money they thought I was either rivers or delta I ve watched them make some remarks about igbos, the only people in the whole Rivers that igbos can reason with are the ogoni people, from what I ve learnt but if its ijaw and ikwerre no waste ur time. "the our oil mentality in them is like adamantium" its indestructible.
i currently work and live in PH and the Ikwerres in Diobu/mile 1 blend well with the other Igbo tribesmen from the east

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 7:58am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

this is not a one day something, what I intend to do is;
(1) I want to sight all/most of Nigerias industries and companies in Nigeria that produces everything Nigeria imports except for those ones we cant produce thats y we need ports, but from biscuits to nylon to plastic to pipes to roofing sheets to recycling plants to auto mobile we would have such companies in igbo land. then with the aid of our people scattered all over Nigeria doing business they would act as a distribution link, we are going to meet the various ohaneze's in various states we would meet them and create a path with them, as time goes on we would even start exporting to other countries via the igbo populations there and with meetings in those coutries to know if Bringing in our products there would be profitable.
(2) I want to start a trust fund for both igbos within igbo land, Nigeria and the world, a voluntary contribution for them this trust fund would aid stuffs like scholarship, some developmental programmes like this port and fund for research and technology in igbo land.
let me stop here for some reasons but know that its not over yet Igbos would rise again.

but,you can do all this things without leaving nigeria...why is it so hard for you to understand that,you have much more advantage in nigeria than alone??.....nobody is stopping you from achieving this beautiful goals...your problems are your leaders not nigerians.....
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 31, 2015
tsdarkside I don't know what u are talking about I do not support secession I am only giving out this idea because am tired of the insults despite how well most of we igbos accept Nigeria with good fate all we ever receive is insult, u would be trying ur best to please some people u dony want to seem greedy or stingy or money lover as they term igbo people if they ask u for something u give to them the day they ask and u dont give them you would hear "na so them dae behave igbo people them like money".

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by coolzeal(m): 8:00am On Oct 31, 2015
Is this page already on front page or what? This is the level of development we should all glamour for instead of jeopardizing and backstabbing other region to live below human standard and capital. Honestly, i don't feel a sense of belonging in Nigeria. I tried but it didn't work.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by kingzizzy: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

Unfortunately, no one can lay claim to the rivers, even if it passes through their lands. You said they might dam the River? Under international law, no country with access to the sea can be denied that access. Someone also said said something about bridges. There is something that people are forgetting. Using the river Thames as an example. There are several river ports along the Thames especially in London but rarely do you see Big ships plying it. So how do all the containers get in and how do they leave? The answer is badges! Some of these badges can carry hundreds of containers at a time. Large ships do not necessarily not have to ply the entire length of the River, they only have to get to a certain point then discharge their contents on to badges that will now take it to the River ports to be craned off.

I also believe that a sea port can be built in Obuaku Abia state because it is almost as close to the sea as Portharcourt

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 8:07am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:
tsdarkside I don't know what u are talking about I do not support secession I am only giving out this idea because am tired of the insults despite how well most of we igbos accept Nigeria with good fate all we ever receive is insult, u would be trying ur best to please some people u dony want to seem greedy or stingy or money lover as they term igbo people if they ask u for something u give to them the day they ask and u dont give them you would hear "na so them dae behave igbo people them like money".

haaaa.....okay.....sorry...good ideas,indeed,,,but first we have to bring our leaders under controll for this to work....

you shouldnt mind other people that much....who dont like money??...everybody likes money...my women abuse the living daylight out of me the ol time,but,heyyyy,,,,they are still my women...you shouldnt take it soooo serious...

our leaders are still tooooooooooo evil!!!...

they think,stealing is a blessing from god....this musst change first.....

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 31, 2015
One Nigeria till I die.
One day igbo land would shake Africa, the civil war was our own temptation and our most trying time we are over coming it and would soon over come it and all its stigmas, one day Nigerians won't be threatened by igbo people its the west that would be, we would show them that God blessed Black people not only with strength but also with brains, we too can launch rockets to the moon we too can build submaries and have structures that can touch the sky. Time shall tell, world power moved from Europe to America very soon power would this world power would move to Nigeria and one day Nigeria would seat as one of the leaders of the G8, I believe.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dangote Opens One-stop Shop In Onitsha / Angry Lady Drives Her Car Into A Bank Hall After Waiting For Hours For Service / Oyinlola Market In FESTAC Demolished Without Warning, Shops Looted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.