Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After (13565 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Remembers Her Father & Dele Giwa With A Throwback Photo / Remembering Dele Giwa: 30 Years After His Assassination / IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Titilayodeji13(m): 3:40am On Oct 31, 2015
The people of Ugbekpe-Ekperi, the ancestral home of the late Dele Giwa, founding editor-in-chief of Newswatch Magazine who was killed when a parcel bomb was delivered to his home on 19th October, 1986, still mourn his death. LEADERSHIP Weekend’s Patrick Ochoga who visited the community recently, writes.

Twenty nine years after the murder one of Nigeria’s most iconic journalists and the founding editor-in-chief of Newswatch Magazine, Dele Giwa through a parcel bomb on October, 19th October 1986 at the young age of 39, the incident still remains a huge loss for the practice of investigative journalism in Nigeria.

Also, as circumstances surrounding his untimely death remain a mystery, with the security agencies and government yet to bring the culprits behind the murder to book, family members and his kinsmen of Ugbekpe-Ekperi Kingdom in Etsako Central Local Government Area of Edo State are still hurting 29 years after.

For his kinsmen, the anniversary of his death evokes the stark reality of the many unresolved high profile murders by alleged government agents or their proxies.

When LEADERSHIP Weekend visited late Dele’s Giwa’s family house in Ugbekpe-Ekperi, the compound appeared devoid of its usual bustle, as only a handful of visitors where sighted coming in and out of it.

It was however gathered that most of the immediate relations of the late journalist live in Lagos and overseas. One of the few still living in the compound is a distant relation who identified herself simply as Ramatu. She lamented that despite the failure of government to unmask the killers of Giwa, the family is consoled by the fact that God will expose his killers.

“Each time people come here to speak about our brother I feel very sad because it is exactly 29 years now that he was killed with a bomb because he was doing his job, while the culprits are somewhere living their own lives and enjoying themselves. But we are consoled by the fact that God will one day expose those behind his death. We are not happy at all that our benefactor was taken away from us by evil people,” she lamented.

When Giwa was assassinated, he left behind an aged mother, who is now 84 years old, two younger brothers and three sisters.

The five siblings of the late pioneer editor-in-chief of Newswatch are Tunde and Biodun (both based in the United States), Hauwa Omomohle, Ronke Habibat Aboaba and Fatima Musa.

He is also survived by Funmi, his widow, three sons and two daughters.

Billy, his first son, who was then a student of the University of Jos, was only 19 years old when his father was brutally killed.

Incidentally, Billy, a graduate of English, who has been resident in the United Kingdom for more than a decade, was the person who received the killer parcel bomb from Musa Zibo, the security guard, and handed it over to Giwa in the study, unknown to him that it was the harbinger of his father’s death. Billy’s two other younger brothers whose mother is an American are Dele Jnr. and Tunde Jnr., while Giwa’s two daughters are Funmi, who is now a lawyer and Ayodele Aishat, who was about a year old when her father was assassinated.

The traditional ruler of the community, the Ijegbai of Ekperi Kingdom, Alhaji Deke Kanoba, while reflecting over the sad incident, said it is only in Nigeria that such a murder could happen without a concerted effort to bring the perpetrators to book, adding “Nigerians know the quarters from which the bomb came from.”

Alhaji Kanoba said the late Giwa was an icon for the people of Ekperi land owing to his contribution to the profession of journalism.

He recounted “I must say that the Ekperi people are at loss each time we remember our brother. It is sad that we have a very porous justice system in Nigeria. It is not as if people don’t know who sent the bomb to kill Dele Giwa. This cannot happen in other climes without the relevant agencies getting to root of the matter.”

While giving a historical background of the Giwa’s family as told by his late father who was the Ijegbai of Ekperi Kingdom, Kanoba stated: “We are at least comforted that the Giwas realised that they are from Ekepri. Dele’s father actually grew up in the palace of the Ooni of Ife and that was why they nicknamed the father Giwa (the fathers real name was Bagudu). It was in Ife they gave him the name Giwa. We not happy that government has not done anything for the community, it is quite unfortunate,” The traditional ruler lamented.

He said that the people of Ekperi are always thrown into mourning whenever they remember his tragic demise because they have not been able to fill the gap his death created.

“Though, we do not know the killers, I know God knows them and one day, God will expose them, because there is nothing God cannot do. We still have faith that one day, the killers will face the full wrath of the law,” he said.

A community leader, Steve Momodu who hails from Ekperi, described Giwa as a pride of the people of Ekperi and Nigeria at large.

“He is somebody that was humble, honest and respectable. Dele Giwa meant a lot to us and as we speak now, his person is immortalised in our hearts because he is one of the trailblazers in Ekperi. You cannot write the history of Ugbekpe-Ekperi today without mentioning Dele Giwa. In fact, his name would be in history not only in Ekperi but also in Edo, Delta and, of course Nigeria; because you cannot write anything about journalism in Nigerian without mentioning Dele Giwa. So, he means so much to us and our people will continue to honour him even now that he is no longer alive,” he said.

He however, regretted that the late Giwa has been forgotten by those in authority despite the fact that he laid the foundation for the robust journalism practice that has helped enhance democracy in the country today.

“You know that Nigerians hardly celebrate the dead. They are only good at showing sycophancy when you are there but once the person is gone, he will be forgotten.

“To be very candid, I think Dele Giwa has not been fairly recognised because he is one of those who promoted the entrenchment of the democracy that we are enjoying today. Part of his drive was to see that there was sanity in the system and that there was political order in the country and that was why his life was terminated. So, I think that the government of the day should begin to look into how to recognise our son who fought and won the democracy we have today, even though he is not alive right now.”

On his part, a human rights activist, Aliu Ozioruva, said Dele Giwa represents the new face of journalism in Nigeria, adding the late journalist “brought a new perspective of boldness, knack for in-depth reports and analysis into the journalism profession. He successfully built on the foundation the likes of Lateef Jakande, Pa Ajose and others of that generation had laid.”

“He was able to lift the profession to the level where it actually became the mirror of the society especially with its social responsibility of setting agenda for the authority, regulating the society and ability to speak to truth. He represents what I call the bridge between the old and new in journalism, especially with his training in the United States where freedom and equality was their watchword.

“Dele Giwa brought the mentality to the journalism profession where the authority was continuously queried and scrutinised. Though it is believed that such characteristics also contributed to his death, many journalists were also encouraged by that boldness to stand by the truth even in the face of oppression, incarceration, maiming and killings.”

He lamented that “the Nigerian state has not been fair to him and his legacies. It is unfortunate that as at today, 29 years after his death, the investigation on the circumstances surrounding his death remain inconclusive.

“All we have heard has been different versions of how the parcel was delivered, how in the process of opening it, it exploded, how Dele Giwa had expressed fears few days earlier that his life was in danger.

But indications point to the fact that his death may have been sponsored by the state, considering that fact that as at the time of the events, Nigeria was under a military dictatorship.

“We have had various reports from former serving police officers on how their investigations were truncated abruptly without reasons been given. What the state should do, especially now that we are in democracy, is for the government to re-open the investigation. You will recall that late Gani Fawehinmi tried until his death to ensure justice for Giwa and the journalism profession. The last effort was his presentation to the Oputa Panel, the report of which remains one of the various documents available for government to work with. I will also charge the leadership of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) to take it as a responsibility to ensure justice for Dele Giwa, his family, journalists and journalism,” he added.
http://leadership.ng/news/470969/ugbekpe-ekperi-remembering-dele-giwa-29-years-after

2 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Titilayodeji13(m): 3:41am On Oct 31, 2015
Dedicating this FP to my wife, Mrs Titilayo
Odeyele ,love you so much dear and happy
wedding anniversary.
God bless Seun for creating a platform like
nairaland.
God bless the moderator that move this to
the FP.

9 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by demarc001: 3:44am On Oct 31, 2015
Such a handsome man!
In Fella's voice #Who kill Dele Giwa na Baba........#

Mods this is worth front page, let's respect this icon!
Lalasticlala!
Abi no be so una dey call the name?
********modified********
Mods thanks for doing the needful

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by jeffizy(m): 4:00am On Oct 31, 2015
The life of a great person goes on even after the body is 6ft down.
I'm happy to read that his offsprings are doing great.
You can kill the body, but, you can never kill the soul.

Wherever the guilty are today, a day less in their lifetime.

4 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Akwasi(m): 10:25am On Oct 31, 2015
Scary thought that we will all be no more some time to come. GOD have mercy
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by walozanga(m): 10:25am On Oct 31, 2015
WHO KILLED DELE GIWA? na................
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Aminat508(f): 10:25am On Oct 31, 2015
sad

Please check this link,Light need your help

https://www.nairaland.com/2517785/save-light-great-fighterPlease

1 Like

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by pretydiva(f): 10:26am On Oct 31, 2015
A true hero he was
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Demmocrats(m): 10:26am On Oct 31, 2015
A man that was killed because of a woman.

The blood of this man is in the head of IBB, one day he will get his revenge.

3 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by dexterinc2003: 10:27am On Oct 31, 2015
This were the real fearless men in naija....not all what we see now..(well apart from boko haram) grin

2 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 31, 2015
df

12 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by demarc001: 10:27am On Oct 31, 2015
I remember we use to sing a song

#In Nigeria, west Africa
There is something terrible....
......On the 19 of october when they killed our journalist.....#
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:27am On Oct 31, 2015
Ok

know how you can make huge money starting plantain farming business using hybrid cultured suckers
Check for more info at
www.nairaland.com/2097637/hidden-truths-plantain-farming-business

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 31, 2015
Freedom of speech before speech but freedom after speech not guaranteed.

1 Like

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by NJPot(m): 10:28am On Oct 31, 2015
FELA

Qs: Who killed delegiwa.
Ans: Na baba

NB: If you put ngida na you sabi

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 31, 2015
One of my fav quotes
"Any Evil Done By Man To Man Will Be Redressed; If Not Now Then Later, If Not By Man Then By GOD For The Victory Of Evil Over Good Is Temporary" - Dele Giwa

RIP great one

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by kayo80(m): 10:29am On Oct 31, 2015
The letter bomb was very very sophisticated for the times. There is a theory that he was investigating a particular foreign company with ties to the Nigerian government, and was about to expose their shady business before the bomb was sent to his house.

1 Like

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by walozanga(m): 10:32am On Oct 31, 2015
TINUBU SHOW BE SCARED OF ANY LETTER COMING FROM KWANKWASO... COS THE GUY NO LIKE HIS FACE
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 31, 2015
That plantain Guy no resemble Timaya oo grin
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by asmuj2015: 10:32am On Oct 31, 2015
rip
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by jerinapi1: 10:33am On Oct 31, 2015
May his soul rest in peace. Amen

1 Like

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by sweatlana: 10:34am On Oct 31, 2015
I thought ita giwa was his wife

1 Like

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by YourData247(m): 10:34am On Oct 31, 2015
Sad
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Laveda(f): 10:35am On Oct 31, 2015
Continue resting in peace. .Dele
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Berrylite: 10:36am On Oct 31, 2015
REST IN PEACE GREAT MAN
according to PEJ, u don die now but your manhood lives on grin
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 31, 2015
Unlike the Yorubas of our time,Dele Giwa was fearless.

2 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Codyt(m): 10:37am On Oct 31, 2015
NJPot:
FELA

Qs: Who killed delegiwa.
Ans: Na baba

NB: If you put ngida na you sabi
Babangida grin

2 Likes

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by godox2(m): 10:37am On Oct 31, 2015
RIP. LEGEND
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by markpeakson(m): 10:38am On Oct 31, 2015
okay..
Importation business offers click here www.zeezbusiness.com. with my ebook discover how to start and import goods at deadly cheap price and make a lot of profit after sellings. The ebook is just #2500 and u will get urs immidiately after payment, the ebook is in PDF formart. This the latest way to success and a great business oppounity. Full guarantee of success I assure u this is not a trick or information marketing.
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 31, 2015
Akwasi:
Scary thought that we will all be no more some time to come. GOD have mercy
carry your video go Ghana forum sad
Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by dtruseeker(m): 10:42am On Oct 31, 2015
exxell:
Blame the North.... The Arewa republic has always been a blood nation from time immemorial. Nature will judge us if we don't divide this zoo called Nigeria sooner than later and every tribe be on their own like it were before this zoological republic of Nigeria was a created after British invasion. A nation of criminals, rapists, drug pushers, inbreeders, Paedophiles, Ritualists, terrorists and what have you. Personally, I dream of a Biafran nation were all these will be a thing of the past... A biafran nation were the Muslim religion will be an Anathema and a taboo just as it is Japan!!

Meanwhile, if you are a Biafran apologist like me (Non Violence)... Read Below!

Before reading, I deem it necessary to state that I am not an IPOB member and will never be one. But heavens be my witness when I say this.... "I AM A BIAFRAN/IGBOLAND APOLOGIST AND WILL DEFEND ITS TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY EVEN WITH MY BLOOD WHEN CALLED UPON. SO HELP ME GOD". I SUPPORT BIAFRA AND WILL BE HAPPY TO SEE IT ACTUALIZED.. SO HELP US GOD!

Back to the matter. I have read with dismay on so many write ups and misconceptions about the Biafran issue. This post is meant to clear the minds of some political commentators on Nairaland especially those from Yorubaland and Northern Part of Nigeria. I read one topic on Nairaland front page some time ago about the Itsekiris denying biafra? I was like... WTF? In the current fight for the Actualization of the country of the Igbo Man and Igboland, were Itsekiris ever included? Has Itsekiri stopped being a sub Yoruba language? Or are they deluded to think that the Biafran style we want is the Nnamdi Kanu style? No.... Not at all! Biafra will come... But not the Nnamdi Kanu way or his map of Biafra. Biafra will come when the trained lawyers and judges who will negotiate for us at the UN assembly is ready. When they will be ready is what I dont know. But will they ever be ready? The answer is capital Yes. Will Biafra (Igboland) ever come? CAPITAL YES! I am certain about that beyond every reasonable doubt. It may take 10, 20 years... But it will surely come. Biafra will come through fiercely legitimate means and through the law. Mark that part. On that note, let me clear the myth about Biafra.

First and Foremost, it is pertinent to state that the Biafran struggle is an IGBO fight comprising strictly of all Igboid speaking languages ALONE. No other tribe whether in the North, South South, South West or Middle Belt is included. Other minority tribes who are joining in the clamour for Biafra are doing it at their own will.

When I talk about the Igboid speaking languages, this includes but not limited to Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi, Enugu, Some Parts of Delta especially Anioma, Agbor. Some parts of Rivers state especially Ikwerre, Ndoki, Etche etc and finally some parts of Edo especially the Igbankes. The people who are mentioned in parts may also be expected to join by referendum like the Ndokis, The Ikwerre, The Etches, The Igbankes et al. They can still decide to be part of Nigeria or join the Niger Deltas. It will not be a forced inclusion.

Let me also categorically state that The current real struggle for the liberation of Biafra does not include the Izon, Ibibio, Efik, Annang, Itsekiri, Isoko, Urhobo. These groups mentioned are matured enough to stay on their own. Even if they must join, it is strictly by agreement and laid down rules which includes but not limited to the giving up of their lands and swearing to abide by Biafran laws. I will now state my reasons for calling on every Igbo man to jettison the idea of including the above tribes in the Biafran struggle. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT EVERY IGBO SON AND DAUGHTER WHO SUPPORTS THE ACTUALIZATION OF BIAFRA READS THIS AND THINKS DEEP TOO WHILE READING THIS PART.

Firstly, It is sad to state it but is very obvious that the country our forefathers fought for in the 60s comprising of different ethnic groups including but not limited to Igbo, Izon, Ibibio, Efik, Annang, Itsekiri, Isoko, Urhobo,etc will as at today not work as one united country. This might be bitter but sadly true but look at it from the bright side, no one wants a mini Nigeria and more especially with people hardwired to (OUR OYEL).

Secondly, Nigeria is a fraudulent creation no doubt and any reasonable person would want to opt out of this union and the only way I see it happening is by mutual understanding of the tribes that make up Biafra. A mutual understanding to pull out of Nigeria and become the way we were before the invasion of Britain into our lands and before the marriage. It is imperative to state then that;

1.) Every tribe shall go there separate ways at the actualization of the struggle.

2.) Every "Proudly" Igbo group who wishes to join The republic of Igboland shall do so with there people and there Lands.

3.) If other tribe namely (Izon, Ibibio, Efik, Annang, Itsekiri, Isoko, Urhobo) wishes to form ther own country (which i consider another nigeria but really it isn't my business), they can do so.

4.) Clear boundaries most the discussed and be a major priority.

[b[The last but not the least reason for saying that we should stop attaching other tribes to the Biafran struggle is judging from the lessons of History.[/b] History has it documented about the sabotage and betrayals the Igbos suffered during and after the Biafran war from these so called minority tribes in the South South. Examples include but not limited to; The Ken Saro Wiwa betrayal, The case of abandoned property which is not resolved yet and the probability of these people pulling out to form another country when they pretend to join us achieve it. Let me explain;

Dear Igbo brothers and sisters, do we really think that these tribes from the Niger Delta are foools? You really think that they love us? Please, forget about all these minority tribes you see online and offline pretending like they love and need us! The truth of the matter is that they never loved us and will never love us. Eg are the Ijaws. They only want us to achieve their needs. The average Niger Delta citizen is hardwired to our OYEL! But due to their minor numbers and population, they can't really do or achieve much TO PROTECT THESE OYEL AND EXPLOITATION OF THEIR LANDS. [b]What then is their game plan? Its simple... Pretend like they love the Igbos, Achieve Biafra together, Go to the backdoor and sign a deal with Nigeria, THEN PULL OUT TO FORM THEIR OWN COUNTRY! Just ask yourself this simple question, Do we really think that these people don't want their own nation?

Personally, am not against them having their own country. Rather, what am against is hoodwinking the Igbo nation that they love them in order to use us divide Nigeria and then Bolt out! This is the hard truth! The minority tribes are aware that left on their own, they can never defeat the Yorubas, Hausa-Fulani and Nigeria at Large. So my dear Igbo brothers, bear this important information at the back of your mind! They only need us to divide Nigeria and then bolt out.

In the absence of this understanding, then I urge my Igbo brethren to drop the biafra ambition which would probably be sabotaged again and join the Hause-Fulani and Yorubas in this game of thrones called Nigeria, loot all the lootables, grab all the grabables and suck all the suckables till nothing is left. Forget all these change Brouhaha. Buhari is leading this country to death. The way Nigeria is going down, we shall soon hit oil! I am certain about this beyond all reasonable doubt! Before you doubt and swallow me based on propaganda they keep on feeding you, look around you and ask if there is real change! Ask yourself whether there was a real change or a change in the method of looting!

IGBOS LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD! WISE UP AND ACT FAST. LET US ALL JOIN HANDS AND FORM A BIAFRA THAT WE MAKE US PROUD STRICTLY FOR IGBOS ALONE! IF YOU DONT KNOW IT, KNOW IT NOW THAT THE YORUBAS AND HAUSA FULANI WILL NEVER ALLOW US RULE THIS COUNTRY BECAUSE THEY WILL KEEP ON CHANGING THEMSELVES. JUST CHECK IT OUT... FROM OBASANJO TO YAARDUA TO JONATHAN (BY LUCK) AND THEN BACK TO BUHARI. PREVIUOSLY, FULANI MILITIA MEN HAVE BEEN RULING THIS COUNTRY! We clear have the numbers to play but waste in on sentiments.

N.B
Some of the Ideas in this write up were borrowed from Observant.

if i can reàd this then i can read terms n cônditîoñs

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After by Ezedon(m): 10:46am On Oct 31, 2015
IBB and his evil deeds

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ekiti Residents Celebrate Fayemi's Victory At The Tribunal / MEND Threatens To Attack Republic Of Benin Over Asari-Dokubo's Arrest / 12 Of 24 Kebbi Lawmakers Serve Impeachment Notice On Governor Dakingari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.