Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,441 members, 7,846,808 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:59 AM

Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation (2930 Views)

Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address / APC Leaders Angry With Buhari Over State Of Emergency Comments / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 4:51pm On May 12, 2009

Historically, before Shagari's administration, the constitution drafting committee almost broke up because northerners wanted to use land mass as a formular to divide the federal cake, they had limited success, but then the military boys from the north simply solved that problem by fiat.

While you seat there worrying about the cost of building new state capitals, Hausa people see it as God given opportunity and right to develope their scantily populated areas, after all the oil from somewhere very far away is paying for everything.
That may pass for greed but still there is no collective gain any zone gets by replicating their states.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by naijaking1: 6:34pm On May 12, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

That may pass for greed but still there is no collective gain any zone gets by replicating their states.

As long as the current federal constitution is concerned, there is no way a region with fewer number of states can compete with one with most number of states in terms of federal allocation, educational and job allotments, federal infrastructures----highways, etc, and overall rate of develoment.

If you don't understand the mecahism of this unjust federal structure, why cry marginalization al the time
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 6:59pm On May 12, 2009
If you don't understand the mecahism of this unjust federal structure, why cry marginalization al the time
I don't cry marginalization. People that do that have their own ulterior motives. I personally think that some areas of the country deserve extra help and most of those areas are in the north. If greater percentage of people around me are doing very well for themselves, wouldn't that be inhuman, greedy and unchristian for me to cry marginalization when millions are in the north living in penury?. Be careful what you wish for because I have realized that those that cry marginalization all the time remain stagnant. Go to America and look at the state blacks that do the same compared to Asians and latinos that were marginalized like blacks.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by bawomolo(m): 9:01pm On May 12, 2009
Unbalanced state creation is also retarding the south educationally, because allocations are given per state/local government area, so you have more opportunities in the north with small population than in the south with real and actual larger population,

yes the north has an advantage when it comes to western education.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by hoeyeadoe: 9:23pm On May 12, 2009
pEALEAZE, FROM onE tHINg TO aNOTHER,

LIfe , pEACE, rEST, dEAth.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 6:23am On May 13, 2009
yes the north has an advantage when it comes to western education.
Lol, a good one. grin grin grin
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by naijaking1: 5:38am On May 14, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

I don't cry marginalization. People that do that have their own ulterior motives. I personally think that some areas of the country deserve extra help and most of those areas are in the north. If greater percentage of people around me are doing very well for themselves, wouldn't that be inhuman, greedy and unchristian for me to cry marginalization when millions are in the north living in penury?. Be careful what you wish for because I have realized that those that cry marginalization all the time remain stagnant. Go to America and look at the state blacks that do the same compared to Asians and latinos that were marginalized like blacks.
I almost can't believe what I'm reading undecided
I understand that we don't have to agree on everything, but not matter how you cut and slice it; the people who need extra help in Nigeria are the southerners, the Igbos in particular. From real and actual children needing and wanting help going to school in a land as rich as Nigeria, to maintianing basic infrastructure such as road, to offering basic job opportunities to college graduates; Igbos need extra help, not the northerns whose real population is so scant in the first place that most areas could not have qualified as a state. Despite this lack of population their states still get full allocations for education, only to have one alhaji chop all the money for his state or local government. The Nigerian system is flawed that your comaprison with the black American experience shows your ignorance.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Detain Pdp, Inec Staff Caught Tampering With Inec Materials / PDP Giving Out $20,000 In Cash (photos) / I Will Declare My Assets Publicly-Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.