Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,274 members, 7,829,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation (2923 Views)

Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address / APC Leaders Angry With Buhari Over State Of Emergency Comments / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 8:35pm On May 10, 2009
Ijesa, Ife at war over state creation
FROM GABRIEL DIKE, Osogbo
Friday, May 8, 2009
The agitation for the creation of an Ijesa State out of the present Osun championed by the Movement for the creation of Ijesa State has met with stiff opposition from the State Government and Council of Obas who are promoting the creation of an Oduduwa State.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/8/509.html

But the Ijesa group seems to have the upper hand, having submitted its request to the National Assembly.

Daily Sun investigations revealed that the demand for the creation of Ijesa State dated back to April 14, 2003, when an ad hoc committee was set up by some concerned Ijesas to actualize the creation of the proposed state.

The panel went round the six local governments in Ijesaland and sent letters to royal fathers as well as elected officers recording 80 per cent of consent, as against 67 per cent required by the Constitution.

The brain behind the idea was one Imam Bisiriyu Ikotun, who on January 2001 conducted a research on what would be required to secure the creation of Ijesa State and on November 30, 2002 during the occasion of “Ijesa national day” presented the motion before the Owa Obokun of Ijesaland, Oba (Dr.) Gabriel Adekunle Aromolaran and the entire people in an eight-page address read to the gathering.

It was further gathered that following the move to amend the 1999 Constitution by the National Assembly, the movement again oiled its machinery with the full backing of Federal lawmakers, state legislators, councilors and political office holders from the area,who submitted another proposal on April 7, 2009 even when the state government and the council of obas had endorsed the creation of Oduduwa State and the request sent to Abuja, signaling a divided house in Osun State.

The proposed capital is Ilesa. The proposed state is made up of six local governments of Atakumosa East, Atakumosa West, Obokun, Oriade, Ilesa East and Ilesa West and the request was backed with sworn affidavits by three traditional rulers and signed by two-thirds of elected members from the area, including the two House of Representatives Members, five state House of Assembly lawmakers and 64 councilors from the six local government councils.

But this move is now generating ripples because the state government, Osun State Council of Obas and other stakeholders had earlier endorsed another document for the creation of Oduduwa State with the capital at Ile-Ife.

In the letter to the Clerk of the National Assembly the Ijesha stressed that the application for the creation of the proposed State from the present Osun State was in accordance with Secion 8a (1) (11) (111), b, c and d of the Constitution and without any prejudice or ill feelings to any person (s), community or group in the state and beyond.

According to Oba Aromolaran, the request is borne out of the desire of the Ijesas to recapture the original political status of the area in the political and socio-cultural set-up of developmental stagnancy with renewed lease of life, along with its attendant rapid economic progress, peaceful co-existence and enhanced socio-cultural development of the people of the proposed state.

Daily Sun learnt from one of the traditional rulars in the state that the Osun State Council of Obas at one of its meetings early this year set up a 15- man committee on creation of Oduduwa State headed by the Owaloko of Iloko- Ijesa,Oba Oladele Olasore to actualize the dream but ran into troubled water when the Ijesa group submitted ahead of the group supported by the state government which had approved their request.

The Owa Obokun appealed to the National Assembly to invoke the powers conferred on it by Section 8 (a), (b), (c),(d) and other relevant clause (s) of the Constitution to correct the 94 -year old colonial inflicted injustice noting that other than the Ijesa Kingdom , every other Yoruba Kingdoms had been accorded their own state. “Thus it follows rationally that Ijesas could no longer be denied their own autonomy for justice, equity, developmental parity in the South West geo-political zone of the country,” the document stated.

In a swift reaction to the submission of the proposal, a prominent traditional ruler from the zone and former Minister of Finance, the Owaloko of Iloko- Ijesa,Oba Oladele Olasore faulted the demand by some politicians and a Deputy Chairman, Council of Obas in the state for the creation of Ijesa State out of the present one without carrying along other key stakeholders.

Oba Olasore stressed that the clamour for the creation of Ijesa State by some people was a misplaced priority because the Osun State Council of Obas under the chairmanship of the Ooni of Ife of which he and the Owa-Obokun are members and the State Government had already sent a proposal to the National Assembly for the creation of Oduduwa State from the present state with Ife as the capital.

The monarch, who spoke on April 11 (four days after Ijesa State proposal was submitted during the Obalogun day annual event in Iloko Ijesa faulted the proponents of the creation of Ijesa State warning that the idea runs contrary to a decision by the state Council of Obas which had sent a referendum to Abuja for the creation of Oduduwa State out of the present Osun State.

In apparent reference to the Ijesa proposal he stressed “Just a week ago, a document was brought to my attention titled, ‘Proposal for the creation of Ijesa State ’. This document which was endorsed by all Councilors in Ijesaland was requesting for the creation of Ijesa State . The proponents of this document are so naïve to think that Ijesaland belongs to councilors who executed this document. The councilors themselves had no courtesy to consult with their people before appending their signatures.

“Not one single Oba in Ijesa North Traditional Council area was aware of this development until after it was compiled, signed and bounded for delivery to Abuja . As far as the promoters of the document were concerned, the councilors who were on a three-year political tenure were more important than the Obas who are the traditional owners of their domain”.

Oba Olasore disclosed that names of some traditional rulers that endorsed the other proposal also signed the Ijesa document and that even Oba Aromolaran, a senior member of the Obas Council endorsed the request for the creation of Ijesa State, adding: “I have my doubts if indeed these statements were authored by the Owa Obokun himself and if he even knew about the propaganda just as many of us whose names were reflected in the document”.

The royal father described the proponents as a few self-centred individuals who were only seeking recognition with the connivance of the 64 councilors. “We Obas in Ijesa North traditional council have resolved not to support a move for an Ijesa State because they are already signatories, like the Owa Obokun to the decision of the Osun State Council of Obas to promote the creation of Oduduwa State from the present Osun State, and this proposal has been endorsed by the Osun State Government” he stressed.

He maintained that no matter how sympathetic the reasons for seeking Ijesa State may sound, it would be difficult to market it for many reasons saying the way the proponents started the campaign without seeking the collaboration and consent of the traditional rulers, it is doomed for failure from the beginning.

Clarifying the issues raised by Oba Olasore, Ikotun told Daily Sun that the clamour has reached advance stage even as he confirmed that its request was submitted on April 7, 2009 at the National Assembly.

Ikotun accused Oba Olasore of working to scuttle the demand for the creation of Ijesa State and noted that based on the Constitutional requirements the document submitted to the National Assembly was endorsed 100 per cent as against the 2/3 of elected political office holders and wondered why the monarch from the same zone is championing the cause for the creation of Oduduwa State.

Ikotun faulted Oba Olasore’s statement and stressed that even the councilor from his area endorsed the document and three prominent Obas swore to affidavits and signed the document,

His words” The request for the creation of Ijesa State is no more a clamour or wish but a valid proposal before the National Assembly and no matter the intimidation or blackmail can stop the agitation. The creation of Ijesa State is eminent and only an enemy of Ijesaland will not be happy for the achievement. The only problem we have in Ijesa is a personal interest of combining politics with tradition thereby destabilizing age long tradition of Ijesaland”.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 8:36pm On May 10, 2009
Where is Becomerich to help us map this problem and stop the warring factions? cheesy cheesy
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by udezue(m): 8:55pm On May 10, 2009
LMAO

BECOMERICH, WE NEED UR EXPERTISE
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by bawomolo(m): 8:56pm On May 10, 2009
becomerich would be the arbitrator in the ijesha vs odudowa state court case grin
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by FLGators1: 8:57pm On May 10, 2009
So the radar is now on Ife?

Wey Big_bumper?
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by yicob(m): 9:04pm On May 10, 2009
Ijesa would be a better pick for a new state. Oduduwa state ? How many LGs would come together ?
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by bawomolo(m): 9:36pm On May 10, 2009
at this rate, every local government would have a state
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by blacksta(m): 9:38pm On May 10, 2009
please can we advocate for oworonshoki state.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by ikeyman00(m): 10:08pm On May 10, 2009
hey shocked shocked shocked

see waya

becomerich dnt run now

this is the united ododuwa kia??

na big blow oo to benin cou
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by tpiah: 10:58pm On May 10, 2009
I really want my grandfather's village to be a state.

And we're getting there - una go think say na fairytale! wink

I'll run for governor or senator when that happens. So you people on NL better mind how you talk to me!
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by preselect(m): 10:59pm On May 10, 2009
my right leg needs one state
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by jona2: 4:25am On May 11, 2009
no igbo news? shocked
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by naijaking1: 4:49am On May 11, 2009
Agitation for more states will only stop when states are forced to fund themselves, until then state creation is just another name for dividing the national cake.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by jona2: 7:41am On May 11, 2009
*jona:

no igbo news? shocked
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 7:43am On May 11, 2009
Are you not the igbo news vendor?. More news biko.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by IFELEKE(m): 8:37am On May 11, 2009
Ijesa State or Oduduwa State?
People from both sides can continue dreaming because it will NEVER be!
Ijesa zone with 6 local governments is not even united in their quest for a state.The King of Iloko Ijesa is at loggerheads with The Paramount Ruler of Ilesa because he told him and his cronies that they were after a wild goose chase.
Ife Zone is not faring any better either because the fiefdoms under it are all confused as to who to side(Ijesa, Ife or remain in the old Osun)
Above All.
The Federal Government is favourably disposed to a 2 state per region agreement,Dimeji is doing every thing possible to push for an Ijebu State for his people(just like David Mark is pushing for Apa State for his People too) and from all indications,he might have his way leaving only one more for our region.The most favourable and totally accepted candidate for that SLot Is Ibadan.
So, Brace Up for Ijebu and Ibadan State.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by Nobody: 8:47am On May 11, 2009
IFELEKE:

Ijesa State or Oduduwa State?
People from both sides can continue dreaming because it will NEVER be!
Ijesa zone with 6 local governments is not even united in their quest for a state.The King of Iloko Ijesa is at loggerheads with The Paramount Ruler of Ilesa because he told him and his cronies that they were after a wild goose chase.
Ife Zone is not faring any better either because the fiefdoms under it are all confused as to who to side(Ijesa, Ife or remain in the old Osun)
Above All.
The Federal Government is favourably disposed to a 2 state per region agreement,Dimeji is doing every thing possible to push for an Ijebu State for his people(just like David Mark is pushing for Apa State for his People too) and from all indications,he might have his way leaving only one more for our region.The most favourable and totally accepted candidate for that SLot Is Ibadan.
So, Brace Up for Ijebu and Ibadan State.

Ijesa and oduduwa states are no good, but Ibandan and Ijebu states are? How and when did you arrive at this conclusion that the later are the most favourable and totally accepted?
Looks like your findings and assertions are sentimentally motivated. undecided
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by IFELEKE(m): 9:02am On May 11, 2009
nuzo:

Ijesa and oduduwa states are no good, but Ibandan and Ijebu state are? How and when did you arrive at this conclusion that the later are the most favourable and totally accepted?
Looks like you findings and assertions are sentimentally motivated. undecided
No sentiments here, am an Ekiti Man but I work In Osun State and am actively aware of the runnings of both state.
Ijesa and Oduduwa states and projects in futility, it has been on since the early 90's with nothing to show for it.
The most viable region to get a state here is Ibadan based on many factors(which includes size,commerce,avoidance of cultural confrontation and loads more)and following the Fed.Govt. plans for a 2 state per region arrangement,we are left with one more and that will be Ijebu because there is an unwritten agreement between Dimeji and Mark for each other's support in the actualisation of Ijebu and Apa States.
These are political calculations with concise accuracy.(believe me)
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by ikeyman00(m): 9:08am On May 11, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@

but this are the so called united oduduwa in politcis right?

grin
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by DRANOEL(m): 9:33am On May 11, 2009
IFELEKE:

No sentiments here, am an Ekiti Man but I work In Osun State and am actively aware of the runnings of both state.
Ijesa and Oduduwa states and projects in futility, it has been on since the early 90's with nothing to show for it.
The most viable region to get a state here is Ibadan based on many factors(which includes size,commerce,avoidance of cultural confrontation and loads more)and following the Fed.Govt. plans for a 2 state per region arrangement,we are left with one more and that will be Ijebu because there is an unwritten agreement between Dimeji and Mark for each other's support in the actualisation of Ijebu and Apa States.
These are political calculations with concise accuracy.(believe me)

since you claim to know so much then i guess you are aware that the dream of apa state is now almost dead as more and more senators are favourable to the creation of katsina ala(joining katsina ala,tiv parts of taraba,zaki-biam e.t.c) state due to population and economic viability
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by IFELEKE(m): 10:40am On May 11, 2009
DRANOEL:

since you claim to know so much then i guess you are aware that the dream of apa state is now almost dead as more and more senators are favourable to the creation of katsina ala(joining katsina ala,tiv parts of taraba,zaki-biam e.t.c) state due to population and economic viability
Mind you,I don't claim to know all I am asserting based on the subject matter.
Am faintly aware of the katsina ala issue but my mentioning of Apa state is just to butress my argument on why Ijebu will be the second after Ibadan(if they eventually stick to their 2 state per region plan).
My arguments are based on what am privy of and some political calculations so don't quote me off context.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by enohj2ee(m): 2:40pm On May 11, 2009
The following are the State due for Creation

1. Adada State( from Ebony, Enugu and Abia)
2. Apa State ( from Benue, Kogi, Nassarawa and Cross River)
3. Kaduna South State ( all Kaduna southern)
4.Azare State ( from Bauchi and Gombe)
5.Odouduwa State (OSun, Oyo ekiti and Ondo)
6. Ijaw state ( only Ijaw people go be state)

These are the Plan

so my people if your side no d here forget an oh.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by Ben13: 2:44pm On May 11, 2009
nigeria is longing for a hundred state.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 6:01pm On May 11, 2009

The following are the State due for Creation

1. Adada State( from Ebony, Enugu and Abia)
2. Apa State ( from Benue, Kogi, Nassarawa and Cross River)
3. Kaduna South State ( all Kaduna southern)
4.Azare State ( from Bauchi and Gombe)
5.Odouduwa State (OSun, Oyo ekiti and Ondo)
6. Ijaw state ( only Ijaw people go be state)

These are the Plan

so my people if your side no d here forget an oh.
Why do we need extra states when we are yet to take care of the ones we have already?
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by MrCrackles(m): 6:05pm On May 11, 2009
The wahala wey dis "dismantling of Nigeria" go cause, hummm!

I don talk my own!
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 6:08pm On May 11, 2009
The wahala wey dis "dismantling of Nigeria" go cause, hummm!

I don talk my own!
Lol, very soon every local govt will apply to become a state. No qualms as long as it increases the chances of me becoming a governor. wink wink wink
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by MrCrackles(m): 6:14pm On May 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Lol, very soon every local govt will apply to become a state. No qualms as long as it increases the chances of me becoming a governor. wink wink wink

Hehehe! grin
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by naijaking1: 6:56pm On May 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why do we need extra states when we are yet to take care of the ones we have already?

The south-east needs at least 2 new states to catch up with others. Since federal allocation, federal legistilative representation is based on states, if the south-east doesn't get equal number of states like others, they'll be forever neglected.
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by AloyEmeka9: 7:07pm On May 11, 2009
Really?. What will be the advantage to the people of the south east?
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by naijaking1: 1:28am On May 12, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Really?. What will be the advantage to the people of the south east?
You really don't know the advantage? The answer: more federal income, more representative voice in senate/house of rep, and more federal roads, appointments, etc.
The Hausa people that created 7 states in the Northwest with little or no population has more senators/reps, and federal officers just because of having more states. I'm surprised you don't see that shocked
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by bawomolo(m): 2:13am On May 12, 2009
naijaking1:

You really don't know the advantage? The answer: more federal income, more representative voice in senate/house of rep, and more federal roads, appointments, etc.
The Hausa people that created 7 states in the Northwest with little or no population has more senators/reps, and federal officers just because of having more states. I'm surprised you don't see that shocked

actually there is no advantage. most of the increase in federal allocation goes to funding an expanding bureaucracy. As seen in the Northwest, those states do little other than paying the salaries of their civil servants. Yes you gain more seats in the senate but at the risk of a weaker fragmented constituency. Do you know how costly it would be to build new state capitals and government buildings for lazy politicians?
Re: Ijesa, Ife At War Over State Creation by naijaking1: 3:15am On May 12, 2009
bawomolo:

actually there is no advantage. most of the increase in federal allocation goes to funding an expanding bureaucracy. As seen in the Northwest, those states do little other than paying the salaries of their civil servants. Yes you gain more seats in the senate but at the risk of a weaker fragmented constituency. Do you know how costly it would be to build new state capitals and government buildings for lazy politicians?

You've gotta be kidding embarassed
A region that sends 15 senators to grab the federal cake and a region that sends 21 senators which one has an advantage It's this lack of understanding and lack of focus that's ruining the south's chance at balancing the north.

Historically, before Shagari's administration, the constitution drafting committee almost broke up because northerners wanted to use land mass as a formular to divide the federal cake, they had limited success, but then the military boys from the north simply solved that problem by fiat.

While you seat there worrying about the cost of building new state capitals, Hausa people see it as God given opportunity and right to develope their scantily populated areas, after all the oil from somewhere very far away is paying for everything.

Unbalanced state creation is also retarding the south educationally, because allocations are given per state/local government area, so you have more opportunities in the north with small population than in the south with real and actual larger population,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Children's Day To Senator Yerima's Wife. / Inec Releases Election Timetable / Bukola Saraki Is A Bloody Thief. He Is Worse Than All Of Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.