Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) (173001 Views)

Cost For Low Budget 5 Bedroom On 1.5 Plot Of Land / **the Making Of 2storey Building (12 Flats) Of One Bedroom Apartment In Enugu** / The Making Of The "Small But Classy" Duplex (with Costs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by idris4r83(m): 9:19am On Nov 18, 2015
spyder880:
My people, thanks for the concern but this matter is a delicate one, just like all the other such stories cheesy

I bought about 120 bags of cement that was moulded for this house and it did not complete the ground floor, me? cheesy Well, the man is a family member and as such I find it difficult to start a case between me, his family and his. So I will overlook the matter for the sake of peace.

The lesson here is that a lot of us think they are saving money by making their own blocks.. you may end up losing money like me. In most cases , those who make their own blocks lose money. I will do a detailed analysis of this statement in my block making thread in the weekend.
Making blocks yourself pays only if u r d one supervising it, else the one supervising it will go with the supposed gain of buying from the block industry. If care is not taken it might even be more expensive than even buying already made blocks. Well done sir, more grease to your elbows.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by koning: 11:32am On Nov 18, 2015
gabbytabby:

It has always been my problem with block moulding the stress of supervision, quality monitoring, is it worth the saving and what guarantee do you have on the saving.

In my case I already have blood pressure so I no want stroke. I limit the unnecessary stress. You sell me soft block you csrry am back cos I no go pay otherwise if I have already paid then I move to another supplier.

Can anyone tell me how to carry out proper checks on the quality and strength of blocks. Is there any sure way to test if a block is strong before it's cemented on a wall ?. I once received a supply that looked solid at sight, but collapsed a few days after it was mounted on a fence.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by erico2k2(m): 8:55pm On Nov 18, 2015
koning:

Can anyone tell me how to carry out proper checks on the quality and strength of blocks. Is there any sure way to test if a block is strong before it's cemented on a wall ?. I once received a supply that looked solid at sight, but collapsed a few days after it was mounted on a fence.
do the drop test
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by koning: 12:15am On Nov 19, 2015
erico2k2:

do the drop test

Drop from what height ?. Be more specific.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by gabbytabby: 5:38am On Nov 19, 2015
koning:

Best situation is to be there during the mixing otherwise na to do random selection and break from about half meter to check how it disintegrates.

If it breaks at that level it should be in chunks but if sand sand full ground then na gobe block be that.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:02am On Nov 19, 2015
These building materials were bought and transported to site on Monday this week. Most of the materials bought will be used for the decking of this house. These are not the exact quantities that will be used, we may add more or even use less than these quantities during the decking. Almost all the decking materials are in the site now.

1. 300 pcs of 1x12x12 planks N700x300 = N210,000
2. 100 pcs of 2x3x12 poline N250x100 = N25,000
3. 150 bamboo for decking support N100X150 = N15,000
4. 150 bags of cement N1,400x 150 = N210,000
5. 1 bag of nail N5000
6. Transportation N40,000
7. Loading /offloading N18,500
8. 2 trips of stone for concrete casting N22,000x2 = N44,000
9. Iron fitter workmanship for lintels/columns = N30,000
10. Carpentry workmanship for lintels/columns = N40,000
11. Block molder for 10 bags (for additional on lintels top) N7,000

Total N644,500.00 + N2,106,616.00 = N2,751,116.00 spent so far.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by erico2k2(m): 1:55pm On Nov 19, 2015
koning:

Drop from what height ?. Be more specific.
Head height for me approx 6ft.that's what I do though.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by sonnie10: 4:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
erico2k2:

Head height for me approx 6ft.that's what I do though.

My guess is that the material of the landing surface would also have an effect on the result when dropped. For example, landing on a lose sandy soil would be different from landing on a German, concrete or Asphalt floor.

Where I buy blocks, they tied a sledge hammer head to a long rope to make a pendulum. Then they also choose at random the block(s) to be tested and tie it to another long piece of rope (long bandage). The block is suspended, next the sledge hammer pendulum is pulled (about 3 meters away from position of block) and allowed to swing towards the block, thus impacting on the block along its path of motion. This is the most reliable test I have seen.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by Chinom(m): 4:40pm On Nov 19, 2015
spyder880:
These building materials were bought and transported to site on Monday this week. Most of the materials bought will be used for the decking of this house. These are not the exact quantities that will be used, we may add more or even use less than these quantities during the decking. Almost all the decking materials are in the site now.

5. 1 bag of nail N5000

Thanks for posting this. I am keeping a tab on it. Especially, the tangible and fixed materials. It remains the quantity and cost of iron rods. My interest lies more on the quantity used and not necessarily on the prices.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by Chinom(m): 4:41pm On Nov 19, 2015
sonnie10:

My guess is that the material of the landing surface would also have an effect on the result when dropped. For example, landing on a lose sandy soil would be different from landing on a German, concrete or Asphalt floor.

Where I buy blocks, they tied a sledge hammer head to a long rope to make a pendulum. Then they also choose at random the block(s) to be tested and tie it to another long piece of rope (long bandage). The block is suspended, next the sledge hammer pendulum is pulled (about 3 meters away from position of block) and allowed to swing towards the block, thus impacting on the block along its path of motion. This is the most reliable test I have seen.

Very useful tip. Would come in handy.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 5:44pm On Nov 19, 2015
Chinom:

Thanks for posting this. I am keeping a tab on it. Especially, the tangible and fixed materials. It remains the quantity and cost of iron rods. My interest lies more on the quantity used and not necessarily on the prices.

The iron rods have been bought earlier and is in stock, already part of the total cost posted.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by erico2k2(m): 5:44pm On Nov 19, 2015
sonnie10:

Sounds like a plan.Noted.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by sonnie10: 5:47pm On Nov 19, 2015
spyder880:

5. 1 bag of nail N5000

@ Oga Spyder880 please pardon my ignorance if my suggestion does make sense because I am not in the field. I must say I respect your work here. One common thing I have noticed in constructing decking is what I consider wasteful spending. Every time a decking is constructed, so much money is being spent on plywood and bamboo (here, about #210k + #15k). Would it not be better to have some reusable materials for this aspect of the job? Take for example, if a film surface scratch resistant marine board is placed on a firm scaffold, I believe it would serve the same purpose. Moreover it could be reused for other subsequent jobs. Although, the marine boards are expensive but in the long run, the money would be recovered from savings. Also, marines boards would not stick to dry concrete or get damp from water.

Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by ugwup: 12:11am On Nov 20, 2015
Master well done ooooooo we are following this project, may be if is affordable I will like such to be in my area ooooooo lets just know what it would cost up to roofing.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by 9ijaprince(m): 7:11am On Nov 20, 2015
Nice jobs spyder

1 Like

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 7:40am On Nov 20, 2015
sonnie10:

@ Oga Spyder880 please pardon my ignorance if my suggestion does make sense because I am not in the field. I must say I respect your work here. One common thing I have noticed in constructing decking is what I consider wasteful spending. Every time a decking is constructed, so much money is being spent on plywood and bamboo (here, about #210k + #15k). Would it not be better to have some reusable materials for this aspect of the job? Take for example, if a film surface scratch resistant marine board is placed on a firm scaffold, I believe it would serve the same purpose. Moreover it could be reused for other subsequent jobs. Although, the marine boards are expensive but in the long run, the money would be recovered from savings. Also, marines boards would not stick to dry concrete or get damp from water.

Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

I always think green, as long as it makes economic sense to do so. I will love to use reusable wood to do this deck but the cost of transporting it will be something else. Especially in this village where moving anything is costly. I was planning this with workers yesterday and we agreed to get the whole cost of fixing one house, I will share this with all when the information is ready. Thanks for the suggestion.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 7:41am On Nov 20, 2015
ugwup:
Master well done ooooooo we are following this project, may be if is affordable I will like such to be in my area ooooooo lets just know what it would cost up to roofing.

I am always willing to go "plant" a house whenever you tell me to move. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by PHfinest(m): 10:31am On Nov 20, 2015
spyder880:

I am always willing to go "plant" a house whenever you tell me to move. cheesy

Where the pictures dey?
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 2:01pm On Nov 20, 2015
PHfinest:

Where the pictures dey?

The guys are already working on the decking carpentry since yesterday. Only that I cannot travel to the village today. More pictures in the weekend.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by Pchinak: 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2015
spyder880:

The guys are already working on the decking carpentry since yesterday. Only that I cannot travel to the village today. More pictures in the weekend.

Following as always. Well done Sir.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:36am On Nov 21, 2015
COST UPDATE

These are the costs of casting the lintels and columns of the entire house with concrete, and of adding two lines of blocks on the lintels to get to the decking level.

1. Concrete cast = N31,600
2. Block works = N28,865
3. Transport/feeding N12,000

Total = N72,465

Cumulative total N72,465 + N2,751,116.00 = N2,823,581.00 spent so far
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by nigeriancuban: 9:30am On Nov 21, 2015
wow! superb work spyder,I'm really enjoying this as much as I'm also getting much experience for building a very low cost budgeted home.....sir looking at the plan it looks much similar and familiar. Is the architect of the plan a nairalander coz I once drew something much replica for a nairalander too...well done sir

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:09am On Nov 22, 2015
nigeriancuban:
wow! superb work spyder,I'm really enjoying this as much as I'm also getting much experience for building a very low cost budgeted home.....sir looking at the plan it looks much similar and familiar. Is the architect of the plan a nairalander coz I once drew something much replica for a nairalander too...well done sir

Welcome, the architect is not a nairalander.
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:11am On Nov 22, 2015
Picture updates from inside this house.....

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:12am On Nov 22, 2015
more

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:14am On Nov 22, 2015
From the front of the house.........

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:16am On Nov 22, 2015
From the top of the deck........

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by spyder880(m): 6:18am On Nov 22, 2015
Cost updates later......
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by Pchinak: 7:24am On Nov 22, 2015
spyder880:
more

Good speed boss. Abeg that your vigilante na bakassi boys abi?
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by mank1234(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Oga Spider I salute you. Please which comes first in decking, iron bending or electrical pipe fixing?
Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by eghosajohnny: 8:54am On Nov 22, 2015
Electrical comes first see pix just to assist before my oga spydder replies

Re: The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) by bebe2(f): 9:04am On Nov 22, 2015
idris4r83:
Making blocks yourself pays only if u r d one supervising it, else the one supervising it will go with the supposed gain of buying from the block industry. If care is not taken it might even be more expensive than even buying already made blocks. Well done sir, more grease to your elbows.

I totally agree with u, family members are the worst kind to deal with wen it comes to building.

Am trying to fence a 100 x 200 plot. Using spyder880 numbers as a guide I gave my sister 200k to start moulding blocks, we already had 2 trips of sand on site.

Last night I called her and she said
"money don finish"! I asked the total number of blocks derived from d 200k , and she said 900.

I was shocked, dat means each came at #222.
So project on hold, will look for money to go home and do it myself. angry

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Understanding The Meaning Of Plots, Acres & Hectares In Figures / Find A Roommate In Lagos(only Graduates Please) / Cost Of Building A Three Bedroom Bungalow In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.