Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,756 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (67201 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / 4 Things Igbo People Like. / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 05, 2015
i use to know Igbos to be ibos until they changed it to a more yoruba word. i know it was influenced by d ibos in the South.West

but d word Igbo is already taking in Yoruba language and you will forever be called "ibos"

Igbo in yoruba means:
1.Weed i.e marijuhana like "I want to smoke igbo"

2.To hit something with ur head like "i gave him igbo on the head" or "the Cow is fighting with Igbo"

3.igbo means Bush or unwanted plant

4. Igbo also means Forest

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:
Please quit this madness. What business do I, as an easterner, have with Yoruba of all languages? Please if this is an insult, desist from it. Inukwa!

Go and tell that to the tons of Igbos who speak it daily. Just listen to yourself....
Your pride is the main reason why you won't accept the facts.
Bigotry has eating up the better part of ur thinking faculty.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:15pm On Nov 05, 2015
Onijagidijagan:
i use to know Igbos to be ibos until they changed it to a more yoruba word. i know it was influenced by d ibos in the South.West

but d word Igbo is already taking in Yoruba language and you will forever be called "ibos"

Igbo in yoruba means:
1.Weed i.e marijuhana like "I want to smoke igbo"

2.To hit something with ur head like "i gave him igbo on the head" or "the Cow is fighting with Igbo"

3.igbo means Bush or unwanted plant

4. Igbo also means Forest

no man, I don't agree with this your particular point.
The word Igbo has existed for a long time. And the Yoruba Igbo is different from theirs. Don't be blinded by bigotry.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:
This Nwalencha is just arguing blindly....
lol... so these people have rilly been made to believe these words are Igbo? Eehya.

Next will be "Nkor, Kpatakpata, Jare, Shebi, Gbedu, Bam-bam, Abi, Gbadun, Lekpa, Shey, Omo, Kpangolo, Joor, and a ton of others.
Onijagidijagan, just wait in 10 more years, they will say these words are theirs.

Ode, Maga, Mugun, 419, Alaye, Egbon, Ashawo and d funniest one Oyibo/Oyinbo that has no meaning in ibo words r now theirs. They even claim Wahala is hausa word. Chai

Igbo writers on wikipedia are bunch of liars and thieves

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

no man, I don't agree with this your particular point.
The word Igbo has existed for a long time. And the Yoruba Igbo is different from theirs. Don't be blinded by bigotry.
Igbos were used to be known as ibos before, i swear. let me find u a link.

why do u think Hausa, Edo, FulanisYorubas and many others calls them ibos uptill today?

Igbos are historically known as Ibos

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 05, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

Ode, Maga, Mugun, 419, Alaye, Egbon, Ashawo and d funniest one Oyibo/Oyinbo that has no meaning in ibo words r now theirs. They even claim Wahala is hausa word. Chai

Igbo writers on wikipedia are bunch of liars and thieves

Ps, I'm not igbo. I'm just protecting the language of my forefathers from thieves like you.

Doing exactly what you accuse the Igbos of doing.

Wahala is not yours! Period!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 05, 2015
Just as there are tons of Yoruba people, who speak Igbo too. As for my earlier comment, we in the East consider Yoruba language to be too harsh to the ears, that's why we call it 'ngbatigbati' language. We don't consider it desirable and I see it as an insult for someone to say that I speak it. There are several Nigerian languages that are pleasing to the ears and Yoruba is definitely not one of them.
Pls y'all should stop mentioning me in this silly thread, it's getting annoying.

scholes0:

Go and tell that to the tons of Igbos who speak it daily. Just listen to yourself....
Your pride is the main reason why you won't accept the facts.
Bigotry has eating up the better part of ur thinking faculty.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:25pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Ps, I'm not igbo. I'm just protecting the language of my forefathers from thieves like you.

Wahla is a word that has its roots in Arabic.
It is as simple as that.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:
Just as there are tons of Yoruba people, who speak Igbo too. As for my earlier comment, we in the East consider Yoruba language to be too harsh to the ears, that's why we call it 'ngbatigbati' language. We don't consider it desirable and I see it as an insult for someone to say that I speak it. There are several Nigerian languages that are pleasing to the ears and Yoruba is definitely not one of them.
Pls y'all should stop mentioning me in this silly thread, it's getting annoying.

I am not arguing that there are no Yoruba people who don't speak Igbo, but I wouldn't go as far as saying: "What is my business as a Westerner with Igbo of all languages, It is an insult to say a Yoruba person would speak Igbo". That is what you are doing, and that is simply "blind and stupid pride"
See Igbo person saying Yoruba is Harsh to the Hears.. Hhahahahaha shocked shocked lipsrsealed
..... Yoruba as a language is free flowing, while speaking Igbo alone can make a Yoruba person bite his tongue every time, develop extra muscles around the mouth if he/she hasn't been speaking it from birth.
Ask a neutral observer about which of the two languages is harsher/easier.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

you are from which tribe? wahala, albassa is not hausas they are arabic words.

Wahala is spelt according to yoruba
while Alubosa is yoruba's pronounciation of Al-bassa. ok?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

Wahla is a word that has its roots in Arabic.
It is as simple as that.

But you got it from us, not directly from the Arabs. The Arabic word is wahl, Hausa word is Wahala. Why is yours also wahala? Why is it so hard for you to just admit the truth? Lool! You can even claim wahl if you want but wahala is not yours.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:
Further proof. The Arabic word is basl and the Hausa word is Al-basa, the prefix Al, is very popular in Hausa like in almakashi (scissors) or Al-gungumi (devious), or even the more famous al-majiri, where did the yoruba's get the Al from? Why is it closer to the Hausa variation and not a different variation of the original. Also for wahala, I'm still waiting for a reply from my saudi friend because I don't know the Arabic variation but I'm sure is not wahala, why is the Yoruba word also wahala?

No offense but leave our words alone.

And the Arabic word isnt Al bassa, it's basl.

Onijagidijagan

Day light language robbery.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

But you got it from us, not directly from the Arabs. The Arabic word is wahl, Hausa word is Wahala. Why is yours also wahala? Why is it so hard for you to just admit the truth? Lool! You can even claim wahl if you want but wahala is not yours.

We got many words from Arabic and adapted them locally.
Same way we got 'Esin' from Arabic 'Hesan' , which means Horse. While you guyz call is "DOKI"... very different.
That both words exist in Yoruba and Hausa does not mean we got it from You. Although, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

We got many words from Arabic and adapted them locally.
Same way we got 'Esin' from Arabic 'Hesan' , which means Horse.
That both words exist in Yoruba and Hausa , does not mean we got it from You. Although, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Smh, Day light language robbery. Lmao
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:36pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Smh, Day light language robbery. Lmao

What do you call Horse?
How come the Yoruba got their word for Horse from Arabic and you didnt?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

What do you call Horse?
How come Yoruba their word for Horse from Arabic and you didnt?

Because we had horses before Arabian contact, they're indigenous to Hausa, they're a very important part of our culture, so we have a word for it, "doki". But horses aren't indigenous to you, so you don't have a word for it. You usually just look for the Hausa Arabic variation but in this case there's none so you went with that. You can have it.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by YourNemesis: 10:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:

Hahahaha, laff wan tear my belle.
Igbos that when they speak, all you can hear will be "Nwo Kpo kpo Kpo, gba ngwa bya ma nya gba nkwuru zugbe gwachi kwanu Ngwa kwo gbe"
Igbo isn't pleasant to the ears at all...... And I am not stretching it.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:44pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Because we had horses before Arabian contact, they're indigenous to Hausa, they're a very important part of our culture, so we have a word for it, "doki". But horses aren't indigenous to you, so you don't have a word for it. You usually just look for the Hausa Arabic variation but in this case there's none so you went with that. You can have it.

So, why didn't the Hausas who supposedly are the only people through which Arabic words can travel didn't introduce the Horse to the Yorubas as "Doki"?
Why do Yorubas call it something different from YOUR PEOPLE? It simply proves that Arabic words can be found in Other West African languages, and Hausa is not the only West African language with Arabic originated words in it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:

What is this one saying? u r full of bigots.
firstly u said more igbos r in d North than S.West(only a fool frm d bush our someone outside Nigeria will say such).
D yoruba people speaking ibos r very few compare to d ibos speaking in yoruba. they find it easier than other languages.

Do u knw after English, pidgin Yoruba is d next language in Nigeria?

Mammoth population of Hausa, Fulani, Igala, Itsekiri,Binis speaks it often.but d igbo people speak it more than any other tribes in Nigeria. each state in South west has atleast 3million igbo and most of them speak igbo language.

For example, my church English to yoruba 8nterpreter/translator is an igbo woman.

Ondo-state Yoruba news casters Radio and TV are all Igbos also, igbos are Yoruba lecturers in Universities in USA and UK.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

So, why didn't the Hausas who supposedly are the only people through which Arabic words can travel didn't introduce the Horse to the Yorubas as "Doki"?
Why do Yorubas call it something different from YOUR PEOPLE? It simply proves that Arabic words can be found in Other West African languages, and Hausa is not the only West African language with Arabic originated words in it.

Doki is a hausa word. Not Arabic. Loool!

You are just blindly defending your language.

I am okay with admitting we got from words from Arabic, Heck I can equally claim they stole from us. But I didn't.

I don't argue with blind men. You can about deluding yourself and believing whatever the F.uck you want to believe.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
:|

1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Doki is a hausa word. Not Arabic. Loool!

You are just blindly defending your language.

I am okay with admitting we got from words from Arabic, Heck I can equally claim they stole from us. But I didn't.

I don't argue with blind men. You can about deluding yourself and believing whatever the F.uck you want to believe.

Doki is Hausa
Yoruba is Esin, which comes from Arabic "Hesan" direct.
What makes it so hard for you that Wahala could also be from Arabic into Yoruba?

Logic isnt your forte.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

Doki is Hausa
Yoruba is Esin, which comes from Arabic "Hesan" direct.
What makes it so hard for you that Wahala could also be from Arabic into Yoruba?

Logic isnt your forte.

Why is it wahala, same as the Hausa variation? When our languages are as different as they come? Even when you say it, when it drops out your tongue, does it sound Yoruba to you? Wmh

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 10:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

Oga, (Boss), Akara (Bean Cake), Oyinbo (White man), Akamu (pap), Egidi (corn meal) are Yoruba words.
I agree with the rest.

O di kwa egwu.

Akamu is 100% Igbo and means pap. The Yoruba word for pap is Ogi. Surely, you know this Scholes0. This goes back to what I said before. Once a word becomes mainstream in pidgin, you guys try to claim it as Yoruba. Oyibo means White in Igbo. Igbo people even answer it as a surname.
Agidi is Igbo for cornmeal. Agidi is the word that is used in pidgin English. Egidi is irrelevant, in this context.

Carry on.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 11:01pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

But isn't it funny that you are ready and willing to accept Arabic influence, but don't acknowlege Hausa infleunce?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 05, 2015
Was just going through this thread for and for some reason most of your borrowed Arabic words have the same variation in Hausa. Smh

https://www.nairaland.com/939854/common-yoruba-words-borrowed-arabic

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 11:01pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Why is it wahala, same as the Hausa variation? When our languages are as different as they come? Even when you say it, when it drops out your tongue, does it sound Yoruba to you? Wmh

Wahla as it is in Arabic, as a word can't exist in Yoruba...... So it adapted to a local variation.
I already explained that to you or maybe you don't wan't to see it.

For you information there are many other words that exist in Yoruba, which came from Arabic without any Hausa contact.
I am done with this argument.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

But isn't it funny that you are ready and willing to accept Arabic influence, but don't acknowlege Hausa infleunce?

Because they're from Mecca :|

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

Wahla as it is in Arabic, as a word can't exist in Yoruba...... So it adapted to a local variation.
I already explained that to you or maybe you don't wan't to see it.

For you information there are many other words that exist in Yoruba, which came from Arabic without any Hausa contact.
I am done with this argument.

You my friend are a mor.on! Tell me one word in Yoruba similar to wahala. Just one.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 11:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

I am willing to accept Hausa influence, but not in the extant case. Please dont misinterprete what I am doing.
A Word like Camel, which Yorubas call Rakunmi came from Hausa, as Arabic calls it something else.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 11:06pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

You my friend are a mor.on! Tell me one word in Yoruba similar to wahala. Just one.

What do you mean one more Yoruba word similar to Wahala?
the word is originally Arabic!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

I am willing to accept Hausa influence, but not in the extant case. Please dont misinterprete what I am doing.
A Word like Camel, which Yorubas call Rakumi came from Hausa, as Arabic calls it something else.

https://www.nairaland.com/939854/common-yoruba-words-borrowed-arabic

Even the pronounciation pattern is unusual with your language.

Please for anyone in doubt. Just read this thread, created by his brothers. The Op also forgot to mention fitila as a word used by the hausas as well.

Day light language theft.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Builds New House 'Paraki White House' In Ife (Pics) / I Am Dominican From Dominica Republic... ASK Me Anything. / Ooni Of Ife Oba Ogunwusi Finally Marries Fourth Wife, Set To Marry 5th(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.