Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,007 members, 7,825,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (67589 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / 4 Things Igbo People Like. / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 1:56am On Jul 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

With the popularity of Igbo meals all over Nigeria, it is easy to see an adoption of Igbo spices such as Ogiri, ofor, achi etc. into daily parlance of Yorubas, and other languages. Ogiri or Ogili (in Anambra) is an authentic Igbo word. Ogiri Ijebu is simply an adoption of ogiri from Igbo language and an addition of Ijebu to indicate where it is from. I'm made to understand that the yoruba equivalent for ogiri is 'iru'. Just as we have 'gari Ijebu', it doesn't mean 'gari' is a yoruba word. Only the 'ijebu' in the phrase is. In the same vein, okra soup (from the igbo word, okwuru) is natively called ila asepo in yoruba.

With the popularity of igbo native soups such as ugu, uziza, utazi etc. all over Nigeria, maybe tomorrow there would be an argument about the origin of those soups.

You are talking rubbish. Ogiri was not learnt from Igbos who appeared in Yorubaland very recently. Ogiri is known all over Yoruba land as a soup condiment with a somewhat offensive yet rich odour not only in Ijebu. I have known ogiri when I was in Ijesa. Yoruba did not learn it from Igbos. Then garri is a Yoruba word learnt by Igbos. Igbos did not eat garri in the past I believe. They ate foofoo and pounded yam. While Yoruba either soak garri in water to drink or use it to make eba with boiling water. The Igbos call eba, garri while the Yoruba do not. To Yorubas eba is made from garri while garri on its own is like corn flakes. It is a more advanced use of cassava than the use for foofoo by Igbos. I hope you wont say the words for mouth, nose, ear, time and etc were learnt by Yorubas from Igbos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 2:20am On Jul 06, 2016
lawani:

You are talking rubbish. Ogiri was not learnt from Igbos who appeared in Yorubaland very recently. Ogiri is known all over Yoruba land as a soup condiment with a somewhat offensive yet rich odour not only in Ijebu. I have known ogiri when I was in Ijesa. Yoruba did not learn it from Igbos. Then garri is a Yoruba word learnt by Igbos. Igbos did not eat garri in the past I believe. They ate foofoo and pounded yam. While Yoruba either soak garri in water to drink or use it to make eba with boiling water. The Igbos call eba, garri while the Yoruba do not. To Yorubas eba is made from garri while garri on its own is like corn flakes. It is a more advanced use of cassava than the use for foofoo by Igbos. I hope you wont say the words for mouth, nose, ear, time and etc were learnt by Yorubas from Igbos.

Lol, notice that I clearly avoided engaging you in any of your half-baked history-revision opinions, which are your opinions. I'm sorry but ogiri is an igbo word and 'iru' is the Yoruba equivalent. Some yorubas like you always like to have this 'cultural superiority' and put up this air that they cannot borrow words from any other Nigerian language, especially Igbo language, but would want you to readily believe them that Igbos copied from Yorubas. Cohorts of your sort make a big deal out of languages borowing from each other when it is a normal language feature worldwide. Need I remind you that English language has borrowed words from nearly all major languages of the world - Spanish, French, Greek, German (being a germanic offshoot itself), Arabic yet but remains one of the top languages of the world today. Or maybe your issue is your strong epileptic nigecentric point of view to most topics and lack of exposure to the world at large.

Like I said before, I clearly do not want to engage you in your fiction of imagination neither am I debating with you on the origin of 'ogiri' an igbo word. Thank you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 5:01am On Jul 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lol, notice that I clearly avoided engaging you in any of your half-baked history-revision opinions, which are your opinions. I'm sorry but ogiri is an igbo word and 'iru' is the Yoruba equivalent. Some yorubas like you always like to have this 'cultural superiority' and put up this air that they cannot borrow words from any other Nigerian language, especially Igbo language, but would want you to readily believe them that Igbos copied from Yorubas. Cohorts of your sort make a big deal out of languages borowing from each other when it is a normal language feature worldwide. Need I remind you that English language has borrowed words from nearly all major languages of the world - Spanish, French, Greek, German (being a germanic offshoot itself), Arabic yet but remains one of the top languages of the world today. Or maybe your issue is your strong epileptic nigecentric point of view to most topics and lack of exposure to the world at large.

Like I said before, I clearly do not want to engage you in your fiction of imagination neither am I debating with you on the origin of 'ogiri' an igbo word. Thank you.

You are not making sense. If you have something to say I will like to learn from you just let it make sense. I never said Igbo copied Ogiri from Yoruba but Yoruba did not copy it from them and ogiri is different from normal iru. So if it is different, it will have a different name, even iru are of different types, you have to say if you want woro or pete while ogiri stands on its owm. So are you saying Igbos imported ogiri to Yoruba land or what? That is why I say your points are not well thought out. Words like ashawo, ikebe are words in Yoruba that are from your direction. Not ogiri. I did not say there are no Igbo words in Yoruba but ogiri is not one of them. Ashewo may be one. I will be happy to see you shed light on any of my positions Please debunk them, I will like you to but they are not a day work o and are not speculations or baseless. All are well thought out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by RedboneSmith(m): 5:13am On Jul 06, 2016
Ashawo or ashewo is most def not an Igbo word. I even thought it was Yoruba sef.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by IkpuMmadu: 6:17am On Jul 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

With the popularity of Igbo meals all over Nigeria, it is easy to see an adoption of Igbo spices such as Ogiri, ofor, achi etc. into daily parlance of Yorubas, and other languages. Ogiri or Ogili (in Anambra) is an authentic Igbo word. Ogiri Ijebu is simply an adoption of ogiri from Igbo language and an addition of Ijebu to indicate where it is from. I'm made to understand that the yoruba equivalent for ogiri is 'iru'. Just as we have 'gari Ijebu', it doesn't mean 'gari' is a yoruba word. Only the 'ijebu' in the phrase is. In the same vein, okra soup (from the igbo word, okwuru) is natively called ila asepo in yoruba.

With the popularity of igbo native soups such as ugu, uziza, utazi etc. all over Nigeria, maybe tomorrow there would be an argument about the origin of those soups.

We know that Yoruba people don't have food and don't cook god good so they tend to love igbo and efik people gikd then they will adopt it

Tomorrow they will say ogbono and uzuza is Yoruba

Just ignore them

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by IkpuMmadu: 6:18am On Jul 06, 2016
RedboneSmith:
Ashawo or ashewo is most def not an Igbo word. I even thought it was Yoruba sef.

It's a Yoruba word .
Agbero is also a Yoruba word
Omonile a Yoruba word

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by agadez007(m): 12:04pm On Jul 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 12:13pm On Jul 06, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

We know that Yoruba people don't have food and don't cook god good so they tend to love igbo and efik people gikd then they will adopt it

Tomorrow they will say ogbono and uzuza is Yoruba

Just ignore them

The Yoruba for Ogbono is Apon used in Sir Shina Peter's song E jawo lapon ti o yo o, e lo gbo mi ila kana. Suspend the preparation of Ogbono if it fails to draw, go and boil water for okro. So Ogbono is never a Yoruba word, Apon is the Yoruba equivalent but it is not popular among Yoruba, ila and ewedu are the more popular draw soups.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by agadez007(m): 12:13pm On Jul 06, 2016
Some yoruba restaurants in Lagos have starting putting Ugu in their egusi soup

soon,they will claim Ugu as a yoruba word

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by RedboneSmith(m): 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2016
Going back to ogiri, I dont believe it is borrowed by yoruba, because I have seen it in a yoruba dictionary by the missionaries that came out in 1913. At that time there were not yet many igbo people in yorubaland for the yoruba to borrow it from them.

So the word may be both an igbo and a yoruba word, and one did not borrow from the other.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by oboy3(m): 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2016
RedboneSmith:
Going back to ogiri, I dont believe it is borrowed by yoruba, because I have seen it in a yoruba dictionary by the missionaries that came out in 1913. At that time there were not yet many igbo people in yorubaland for the yoruba to borrow it from them.

So the word may be both an igbo and a yoruba word, and one did not borrow from the other.
Onye asi

ogiri is 100% igbo

i stay in lagos and never heard yoruba use ogiri instead of iru,btw what soup do yoruba cook ogiri with

many igbos especially anambrarians hardly cook soups without it,we have two types of ogiri,,,ogiri mmili and ogiri okpi/okpe

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by oboy3(m): 2:53pm On Jul 06, 2016
even conc igbo words like ube(pear) have been incorporated into yoruba language undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by YonkijiSappo: 3:10pm On Jul 06, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Iru is not the Yoruba equivalent of Ogiri.
Iru is made from fermented Locust bean, while Ogiri is made from other material like Fermented Melon, Soybean or Sesame seeds, so it isn't the same but similar to Iru.
Both are used in Yoruba land.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by RedboneSmith(m): 3:51pm On Jul 06, 2016
oboy3:
Onye asi

ogiri is 100% igbo

i stay in lagos and never heard yoruba use ogiri instead of iru,btw what soup do yoruba cook ogiri with

many igbos especially anambrarians hardly cook soups without it,we have two types of ogiri,,,ogiri mmili and ogiri okpi/okpe

I will come and be lying because of what? Is anyone crediting my akant to claim ogiri for yoruba? That you stay in lagos and have not seen ogiri doesnt mean. Me I have stayed in nsukka and I have never seen ofe achara. Will i now come and say ofe achara is not igbo? Ihe onye amaro ka ya.

I have done a screengrab of the 1913 dictionary. The title is "a dictionary of the yoruba language" by the c.m.s. If you like you can go online and look for it.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 1:40am On Jul 07, 2016
oboy3:
even conc igbo words like ube(pear) have been incorporated into yoruba language undecided undecided undecided

Really?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 2:11am On Jul 07, 2016
RedboneSmith:

I will come and be lying because of what? Is anyone crediting my akant to claim ogiri for yoruba? That you stay in lagos and have not seen ogiri doesnt mean. Me I have stayed in nsukka and I have never seen ofe achara. Will i now come and say ofe achara is not igbo? Ihe onye amaro ka ya.

I have done a screengrab of the 1913 dictionary. The title is "a dictionary of the yoruba language" by the c.m.s. If you like you can go online and look for it.

Documents showing census from Lagos conducted around the early 1900s show that Igbo people were already living in Lagos as of the early 1900s. Igbos had already begun to migrate out of Igboland in the early 1900s to western Nigeria, northern Nigeria, western cameroon etc. (in fact the main reason the English-speaking part of Cameroon left Nigeria to join Cameroon was to stop Igbo domination in their land - just like in pre-civil war, Igbos were everywhere in their government, schools, etc. holding strategic positions) before Nigeria as a country was formed. For example, Nnamdi Azikiwe, one of Nigeria's pioneers, was born in Zungeru, Northern Nigeria as early as 1904 and his father was already living in the North as of that time before Nnamdi was born. It may be so that cultural diffusion, as it always is, may have occurred between Igbos and Yorubas as far back as that time. On the other hand, the word could just be a shared word between both languages. Iru may be the Yoruba style of preparing Ogiri while Ogiri proper could be the Igbo style of preparing fermented egusi soups which has been adopted by the Yorubas in addition to their Iru. Let us not try to mix things up here. The truth is that lots of cultural exchanges occurred in the past way before our parents' generation was born.

With the popularity of Igbo foods all over Nigeria and beyond, it is very easy for other tribes to adopt certain Igbo foods and spices and 50 years down the line, the newly born generation born into a time when it was already popular in their tribe would think these foods/spices were 'authentically' theirs.

Please provide the link to this 1913 dictionary article.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 2:18am On Jul 07, 2016
YonkijiSappo:

Iru is not the Yoruba equivalent of Ogiri.
Iru is made from fermented Locust bean, while Ogiri is made from other material like Fermented Melon, Soybean or Sesame seeds, so it isn't the same but similar to Iru.
Both are used in Yoruba land.

Igbos don't know what is Iru, Iru is popular in Yorubaland. Igbos only know Ogiri, which happens to be used in some parts of Yoruba land too, thus indicating a borrowing somewhere down the line in the past.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 2:18am On Jul 07, 2016
agadez007:
Some yoruba restaurants in Lagos have starting putting Ugu in their egusi soup

soon,they will claim Ugu as a yoruba word

Ugu is now popular all over Nigeria. Even till today, I do not even know what the English name is.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 3:50am On Jul 07, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Igbos don't know what is Iru, Iru is popular in Yorubaland. Igbos only know Ogiri, which happens to be used in some parts of Yoruba land too, thus indicating a borrowing somewhere down the line in the past.

Your way of reasoning is a bit strange. Igbos were not known to any one of Yoruba or Hausa before colonisation because leaving their villages probably was a taboo back then. It was the British colonisation that modernised Igbos. They went to other places first as colonial workers then as traders. By contrast, the Yoruba knew Hausas, Kanuris, Malians, Portuguese, Ashanti, Europeans, Arabs and those people knew the Yoruba too. They lived in Yoruba cities. The Igbos were cut off from the Yoruba by the Edoid people. The Yoruba that knew Igbos were the Yoruba of Benin because Benin was a Yoruba speaking state that had Igbo people in it but since Igbos dont leave their villages, Yorubas farther to the West never encountered them but Anioma Igbos were using Yoruba as lingua franca in the past to communicate with headquarters in Benin. As for Ogiri, it is a well entrenched Yoruba word used for something produced in Yoruba land, so if you insist that Yorubas learnt the word from Igbos who showed up here in the 20th century, then that speaks volumes about your level of reasoning. Why not Igbos copied it from Yoruba?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 6:48am On Jul 07, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Yorubas and lies
Yorubas and propaganda

Benin was never and is never a Yoruba speaking state
Benin colonised Yoruba
Built their war camp in Lagos
Had tremendous influence infrom of administration

Benin gave Yoruba words like oba , ayilara oduduwa

Oduduwa was a Benin man ..so why lie

Yoruba borrowed many words from igbo also
Egusi is Igbo word for melon ....Yoruba borrowed it
Akpara is Igbo word for box...Yoruba borrowed it
Ugu Is igbo word for pumpkin yet Yoruba borrowed it
Even okwuru Is igbo word but oyibo call is okro so Yoruba borrowed it

It's not bad to borrow but atleast acknowledge it

Igbo borrowed word from languages
La chiffon is a material for headscarf...Igbo call it ichafu

The guy's mentality is quite baffling, you cannot reason with him such that I choose not to reply him. Yet he keeps quoting my mentions!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 7:00am On Jul 07, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Yorubas and lies
Yorubas and propaganda

Benin was never and is never a Yoruba speaking state
Benin colonised Yoruba
Built their war camp in Lagos
Had tremendous influence infrom of administration

Benin gave Yoruba words like oba , ayilara oduduwa

Oduduwa was a Benin man ..so why lie

Yoruba borrowed many words from igbo also
Egusi is Igbo word for melon ....Yoruba borrowed it
Akpara is Igbo word for box...Yoruba borrowed it
Ugu Is igbo word for pumpkin yet Yoruba borrowed it
Even okwuru Is igbo word but oyibo call is okro so Yoruba borrowed it

It's not bad to borrow but atleast acknowledge it

Igbo borrowed word from languages
La chiffon is a material for headscarf...Igbo call it ichafu

It is better to carry yourself with self respect than to take up the post of a clown when the situation calls for seriousness and there is no need for clowning.

There were many languages in the Benin empire which was a Yoruba empire with a Yoruba name Ibinu (Anger) but the lingua franca was the Yoruba dialect still spoken by Ilaje and Itsekiri today. The Ilaje and Itsekiri are the most accurate representative of ancient Benin while Benin city was the capital. That Yoruba dialect was the only language in which Benin officials were addressed. You dont speak any other language in a Benin court which includes courts as faraway as Rivers state, Anambra and Delta that at one time or the other came under Benin influence. It was the language learnt by Europeans in the Benin empire. Benin's Edoid language was limited to the natives around that area. You dont address the Oba in that language in the past. Just like you dont address the Oba in Igbo, the Obi Onitsha, Obi Ussele Ukwu and etc too. The Yoruba language is Egyptian and relatively new to this parts. The language of the Yoruba was Akoko. Now spoken at the edges of Yoruba land in Kwara, Kogi, Ondo and Northern Edo.

Yoruba word for box is apoti, for okro is ila. Ugu leaves as vegetable was probably introduced to Yorubas by Igbos as it does not have a Yoruba name as far as I know. For Egusi, I do not know, it might also be an Igbo word.

Let me add that the Nupe claim to have established Onitsha and thrived there before it passed from hand to hand to come under Benin influence. They have a meaning for Onitsha unlike most others.

Then language zones are well demarcated but in the case of an empire, they post armies and officers and their official language is imposed. A person of considerable intellect should not be saying Benin was not Yoruba. Was it Edoid then? There were more Yoruba speaking towns than any other language in the Benin empire and Yoruba was the language of business. So Benin armies and officers took the language to all their stations as lingua franca but when the empire collapsed, the outposts returned to using their local language or adopted a more convenient one. Anyone should be able to reason that out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 7:02am On Jul 07, 2016
IkpuMmadu, biko kene rapu okwu ka o bee na nkenke. Nwoke m a esego ncha n'anyasi a puta ebe anunwa na-ekwuyelizi.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:22am On Jul 07, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Documents showing census from Lagos conducted around the early 1900s show that Igbo people were already living in Lagos as of the early 1900s. Igbos had already begun to migrate out of Igboland in the early 1900s to western Nigeria, northern Nigeria, western cameroon etc. (in fact the main reason the English-speaking part of Cameroon left Nigeria to join Cameroon was to stop Igbo domination in their land - just like in pre-civil war, Igbos were everywhere in their government, schools, etc. holding strategic positions) before Nigeria as a country was formed. For example, Nnamdi Azikiwe, one of Nigeria's pioneers, was born in Zungeru, Northern Nigeria as early as 1904 and his father was already living in the North as of that time before Nnamdi was born. It may be so that cultural diffusion, as it always is, may have occurred between Igbos and Yorubas as far back as that time. On the other hand, the word could just be a shared word between both languages. Iru may be the Yoruba style of preparing Ogiri while Ogiri proper could be the Igbo style of preparing fermented egusi soups which has been adopted by the Yorubas in addition to their Iru. Let us not try to mix things up here. The truth is that lots of cultural exchanges occurred in the past way before our parents' generation was born.

With the popularity of Igbo foods all over Nigeria and beyond, it is very easy for other tribes to adopt certain Igbo foods and spices and 50 years down the line, the newly born generation born into a time when it was already popular in their tribe would think these foods/spices were 'authentically' theirs.

Please provide the link to this 1913 dictionary article.

U people are funny, so a negligible number of igbo in lagos had already made ogiri so popular in yorubaland that the word entered a yoruba dictionary by 1913. The lagos you are talking about sef ogiri is not very popular there, but it is in the interior. So igbo left lagos and went and gave them ogiri in the interior before 1913. Meanwhile I can't find ogiri or ogili in a onitcha dictionary that I have in my archives. You people need to drop this supremacy attitude and understand that igbo and yoruba share words in common because of distant relation. Even oka which means maize is also in yoruba language and they did not borrow from igbo. They share the word together. Bishop Crowther recorded that oka is maize in yoruba in 1843.

I ave given the name of the dictionary, and it is easy to locate it on google.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by agadez007(m): 7:23am On Jul 07, 2016
Abeg,u guys should stop claiming onitsha,its as igbo as igbo can be,there are dozens of Onitshas scattered all over Igboland,Onicha igboeze,onicha mbaise etc,even in my hometown,there is a Umuonicha kindred

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by AjaanaOka(m): 7:39am On Jul 07, 2016
lawani:

Let me add that the Nupe claim to have established Onitsha and thrived there before it passed from hand to hand to come under Benin influence. They have a meaning for Onitsha unlike most others.

Lawani, everytime you offer an opinion on Igbo history, you always say the darnedest things. Provide a source for this claim about Onitsha please.

I don't even want to take you up on that ridiculous thing you said about Igbos not travelling out of their villages 'because it was taboo to them'. If you knew the first thing about Igbo history, you would know about groups like the Aro, the Awka, the Nri, the Nkwerre etc, who between them covered the entire southeast, south-south, sections of Kogi and Benue, and parts of the Cameroons in their travels before colonisation. And the Awka traders/blacksmiths had penetrated parts of Eastern Yoruba, around Siluko River by the 19th century in some number - I am descended from men who made such journeys.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 11:45am On Jul 07, 2016
AjaanaOka:

Lawani, everytime you offer an opinion on Igbo history, you always say the darnedest things. Provide a source for this claim about Onitsha please.

I don't even want to take you up on that ridiculous thing you said about Igbos not travelling out of their villages 'because it was taboo to them'. If you knew the first thing about Igbo history, you would know about groups like the Aro, the Awka, the Nri, the Nkwerre etc, who between them covered the entire southeast, south-south, sections of Kogi and Benue, and parts of the Cameroons in their travels before colonisation. And the Awka traders/blacksmiths had penetrated parts of Eastern Yoruba, around Siluko River by the 19th century in some number - I am descended from men who made such journeys.

There are Yoruba of Hausa, Tapa, Bariba, Benin, Ebira, Malian, Portuguese and etc descent and they have it in their oriki but I have never heard of a Yoruba of Igbo descent. That is because Igbos stayed in their villages in the past. Arochukwu were farther East. They are not neighbours to Yorubas. If they were, possibly, they would have been known to the Yoruba as their type of societal organisation is similar to the Yoruba and they also travel but they are located farther East.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 11:55am On Jul 07, 2016
agadez007:
Abeg,u guys should stop claiming onitsha,its as igbo as igbo can be,there are dozens of Onitshas scattered all over Igboland,Onicha igboeze,onicha mbaise etc,even in my hometown,there is a Umuonicha kindred

I will look for the link but today no body is saying Onitsha is not an Igbo city but we are talking of the history. The Nupe controlled huge territories in the past. They at one time occupied Oyo ile for around 80 years before they were dislodged and many Yoruba towns was in the past tibutary to them at one time or the other.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by AjaanaOka(m): 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
lawani:

There are Yoruba of Hausa, Tapa, Bariba, Benin, Ebira, Malian, Portuguese and etc descent and they have it in their oriki but I have never heard of a Yoruba of Igbo descent. That is because Igbos stayed in their villages in the past. Arochukwu were farther East. They are not neighbours to Yorubas. If they were, possibly, they would have been known to the Yoruba as their type of societal organisation is similar to the Yoruba and they also travel but they are located farther East.

So having Yoruba of Igbo descent in your oriki has become a yardstick for determining whether Igbos left their villages or not? Perfect argument.

Share that link about Nupe and Onitsha.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by lawani: 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
AjaanaOka:

So having Yoruba of Igbo descent in your oriki has become a yardstick for determining whether Igbos left their villages or not? Perfect argument.

Share that link about Nupe and Onitsha.

I do not entirely believe the contents of this link as both Benin and Agenebode bear Yoruba names and in actual fact, the area of Nupoid people including Gwari and Ebira is parts of the NW and NC. That is their abode. Igbo area is majority of SE and part of SS and etc. Those are the demarcations by language. This Nupe history is talking of an ancient empire that predates Benin and Oyo comprising of Nupe and non Nupe

http://kinnupeblog.com/onitsha-was-founded-by-nupe-people-by-ndagi-abdullahi/
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 2:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
RedboneSmith:

U people are funny, so a negligible number of igbo in lagos had already made ogiri so popular in yorubaland that the word entered a yoruba dictionary by 1913. The lagos you are talking about sef ogiri is not very popular there, but it is in the interior. So igbo left lagos and went and gave them ogiri in the interior before 1913. Meanwhile I can't find ogiri or ogili in a onitcha dictionary that I have in my archives. You people need to drop this supremacy attitude and understand that igbo and yoruba share words in common because of distant relation. Even oka which means maize is also in yoruba language and they did not borrow from igbo. They share the word together. Bishop Crowther recorded that oka is maize in yoruba in 1843.

I ave given the name of the dictionary, and it is easy to locate it on google.

Ogili is in Onitsha dictionary. Not sure which one it is you have. I can provide you with the link to it.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by AjaanaOka(m): 3:09pm On Jul 07, 2016
lawani:

I do not entirely believe the contents of this link as both Benin and Agenebode bear Yoruba names and in actual fact, the area of Nupoid people including Gwari and Ebira is parts of the NW and NC. That is their abode. Igbo area is majority of SE and part of SS and etc. Those are the demarcations by language. This Nupe history is talking of an ancient empire that predates Benin and Oyo comprising of Nupe and non Nupe

http://kinnupeblog.com/onitsha-was-founded-by-nupe-people-by-ndagi-abdullahi/

The same Ndagi Abdullahi that wrote that Oduduwa was a Nupe man. The same Ndagi Abdullahi that has made every sort of outrageous claim about Nupe people. If you give Ndagi Abdullahi audience he will try to tell you that everything worthwhile in human history started in Nupeland.

Please.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

"Abobaku" Of Ife Kingdom Is Currently On The Run #lol / Sanusi's 19-Year-Old Wife, Saadatu Lamido, Stuns In New Photos / I Am Dominican From Dominica Republic... ASK Me Anything.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.