Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,175 members, 7,842,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion (40202 Views)

Court Order Now Prerequisite For Release Of BVN - CBN / My Accounts Has Been Restricted Because Of BVN / Help: my money is Stuck In My GTB Account Because of BVN issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by holusormi(m): 1:21am On Nov 07, 2015
Just attach a token to your account and you wil be fine , and make sure your atm card doesn't leave your sight at all times , all other things Na wash undecided ,,, lol I still got a transfer request of 100k tonight , but code came on my token and nobody to release code .... Heheheheh *evil Laugh***
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by addey44: 3:17am On Nov 07, 2015
dan56:
check my post. It's at high risk if the account holder sign up for online banking....sorry to say this. Got my info from guys that are defrauding citizens of the hard earn money .
If the account holder signs up for online banking, to access his funds he has to provide his PIN and in most cases additional information such as providing answer to secrete question and provision of generated code from a TOKEN. How will a fraudster be able to do this simply by knowing the account holder's BVN?
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 07, 2015
MikelEleta:
Has anyone wondered about the dangers of using your phone to get your BVN number. All I see is how excited everybody seems to be. Though its a laudable initiative BUT I feel it would give room for criminals and hackers to easily obtain the BVN number simply by collecting ones phone and using it to send the code thereby obtaining the BVN number. Something urgently needs to be done concerning this OR in the meantime let it be stopped by the NCC. I fear for the repercusions of this. Does anyone concur to what am saying or has a contrary opinion? Please I would like to get contributions. Cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove and all other mods please push this to front page let the authorities hear us.

They get your BVN then what?... BVN is no secret number or password to anything, its just like your account number, name or ID number you have on Passport, voters cards or drivers license. Naija una too dey fear.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dan56: 8:17am On Nov 07, 2015
addey44:
If the account holder signs up for online banking, to access his funds he has to provide his PIN and in most cases additional information such as providing answer to secrete question and provision of generated code from a TOKEN. How will a fraudster be able to do this simply by knowing the account hoplder's BVN?
you expect me to teach you?? I don't even trust you. Am out of this thread pls no quoting again. Thanks
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by MikelEleta(m): 8:18am On Nov 07, 2015
Tinyemeka:

And what would they need your BVN for?

Your ownership of a BVN is simply a confirmation that you've completed the Biometric data capture needed by the banks to properly tie your account(s) to your identity. Basically to drastically minimize fraud.

BVN does not grant access to your account. Only aids in identification.

My opinion sha.
I get your view BUT don't you think even getting ones personal details including permanent address and all is also a risk. Remember its said this BVN would finally replace the National identity card. Moreover I don't trust Nigerians. Their ingenuity when it comes to fraud cannot be overemphasized. The way fake messages were sent to people by some hackers in order to obtain their bvn gives me cauise for concern. I feel that phone checking is too easy. Let it be left to the banks. I may be wrong but my gut feeling is that its a risk.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by dan56: 8:28am On Nov 07, 2015
mfm04622:

https://twitter.com/NigeriaNewsdesk/status/662734733705515008

Read especially from the second point. Note that this is from CBN! Nobody know about BVN like CBN! Stop misinforming others
shey with bvn I can your personal info?? Forget the rest. Assume I never said anything I can't go further it an open forum. Don't even know if your claming cbn to get the idea. When ATM was lunched new. Did it come to your mind it shall be a means of fradusteers to easily get money off the machine??.... When dating site and social network was luched. Did it come to your mind it shall be a means for Yahoo guys to scam people of their hard earned money.....let's leave it that way. Inventions are for good motives but unemploed nigerians get the bad motive. So assume my post don't exist don't quote me again pls
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by ladej(m): 8:36am On Nov 07, 2015
imas:
OP, BVN does not give access to your account, so even if someone has the number, the worst that can happen is that they get your personal and biometric details, but be rest assured your money is safe

And can't kidnappers use that to kidnap you and ask for ransom?.

Hello ! They know where you freaking live ! And your number !

Nigerians only care about money

So shortsighted

Smh
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by menxer: 9:51am On Nov 07, 2015
imas:
OP, BVN does not give access to your account, so even if someone has the number, the worst that can happen is that they get your personal and biometric details, but be rest assured your money is safe

Exactly my thoughts.
i was wondering how BVN alone can give access to a bank account without the account number. BVN is to verify that the biodata/phone number matches a account number given.
I am still wondering how having access to only BVN can be used to access funds in an account without knowing the mastercard number & CVV2

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Tinyemeka(m): 9:59am On Nov 07, 2015
MikelEleta:
I get ew BUT don't you think even getting ones personal details including permanent address and all is also a risk. Remember its said this BVN would finally replace the National identity card. Moreover I don't trust Nigerians. Their ingenuity when it comes to fraud cannot be overemphasized. The way fake messages were sent to people by some hackers in order to obtain their bvn gives me cauise for concern. I feel that phone checking is too easy. Let it be left to the banks. I may be wrong but my gut feeling is that its a risk.

Thank you for that clarification!

The risk of loss is identity theft and not loss of account funds. BVN has got nothing to do with your money. It's main function (to my level of understanding), is customer biometric validation. That you Michael with BVN xxxxxxxxxxxx, was born so so date, your photo appears so and so, including your fingerprints.

Signatures can be forged, people (or siblings) appear identical, but can fingerprints be forged?

When we want to raise the alarm about risks associated with BVN confidentiality, let's be specific. It's risk of identity theft. Not loss of funds. That's where I had issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by menxer: 10:04am On Nov 07, 2015
ladej:

And can't kidnappers use that to kidnap you and ask for ransom?.

Hello ! They know where you freaking live ! And your number !

Nigerians only care about money

So shortsighted

Smh

A kidnapper must come in physical contact with you to get hold of your phone and dial the code to get your BVN.
Besides, which kidnapper that already have you in custody will bother about your BVN?
if you are worth kidnapping, those interested will definitely know where to find you

short sighted indeed grin
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by Adesiji77: 10:17am On Nov 07, 2015
Tinyemeka:

Thank you for that clarification!

The risk of loss is identity theft and not loss of account funds. BVN has got nothing to do with your money. It's main function (to my level of understanding), is customer biometric validation. That you Michael with BVN xxxxxxxxxxxx, was born so so date, your photo appears so and so, including your fingerprints.

Signatures can be forged, people (or siblings) appear identical, but can fingerprints be forged?

When we want to raise the alarm about risks associated with BVN confidentiality, let's be specific. It's risk of identity theft. Not loss of funds. That's where I had issues.

Nice points
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by GoodMuyis(m): 11:09am On Nov 07, 2015
sameolg616:

and what if itts the bank officials and their allies that are involved in the crime....intelligent security companies pay attention to posts like this so they can learn to improve tactics,strategies and policies.....why do u think the bvn was created in the first place.....check the archives for the steward that impersonated his senator boss.....that was part of wat led to sim registration...

That happen if you bank refuse to trace how and where money is going
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by aaidel(m): 12:26pm On Nov 07, 2015
how can someone take money from your account by knowing your BVN ok you might as well stop giving out your account numbers then as someone might use it to take money from your account. Nigerians never cease to amaze me

1 Like

Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by chax100(f): 11:10pm On Nov 07, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]it is very true.....no need for childs play here.......i dont want to lose my 4 billion naira in nigeria like i lost my 90 million dollars in venezuela and interpol seized my 101 million dollars in colombia[/size]

Lol... those kind of account balances that look like this: NGN 1,040.58 grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by idupaul: 7:34pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lordwheez:
and what on earth is mtn doing ma bvn number. .......it's real crazy ooooo.....I think say na confidential stuff deem call am.

Wetin bring MTN come this matter .. Better behave urself
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by hugochuks60(m): 12:16pm On Dec 11, 2016
[quote author=ajog1 post=39751150]the order of discuss shouldn't be someone accessing your acc with your bvn because it's not possible but the possibity of having someone with a nefarious intent use your bvn number to link a dummy account,don't say it isn't possible as there has been lot of error of late.So I strongly suggest that a more discreet mode of accessing the number be adopted.

It is still not possible as the names and the phsical feautures on both the account and the bvn enrolment will not match.
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by LazyTypist(m): 1:54pm On Dec 11, 2016
$2000 worth of Bitcoins for sale at N510. we sell from $20 and upwards...... whatsapp this No 08154989994
Re: A Cry to Ncc to Please Stop Phone Checking of Bvn. My Personal Opinion by LazyTypist(m): 2:13pm On Dec 11, 2016
$2000 worth of Bitcoins for sale at N510. we sell from $20 and upwards...... whatsapp this No 08154989994

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Breaking: Femi Otedola Leaves Forte Oil As Chairman / Herbert Wigwe's Cryptic Post Hints At ‘End Of Life’ / Preventing People From Accessing Their Money Via ATM Is An Invitation To Anarchy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.