Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? (4227 Views)

Different Types Of Pregnant Nigerian Women - Meme Collection / 5 Generations Of Beautiful Nigerian Women (Photo) / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by NigerianBelle: 5:51am On Nov 05, 2015
It seems that the majority of the Nigerian women I've come in contact with abroad (not in Nigeria, but in America, Europe, &c) are extremely materialistic, shallow, and vain. So many of them focus on purses, shoes, labels, hair, makeup, and the like. When they come in contact with a sister, they don't talk about values of mind, body or spirit but the value of the bag on her arm or the gold in her earrings. Style, clothes, body image, and other similar topics seem to be the sole subject of their conversations. Why is this? Is it a cultural characteristic? Is it the economic status of the country that drives putting such an exaggerated value on materialistic items or physical attributes? Not that I have never come across a Nigerian woman who seems to have her values straight, but these are rare and far between.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by SAMBARRY: 5:59am On Nov 05, 2015
Be right back
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Cutehector(m): 6:03am On Nov 05, 2015
Some people won't just mind thr business

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Mynd44: 6:06am On Nov 05, 2015
How can female Nigerians in different countries/Continents have the same attitude? Did they plan for this or is there a manual for bringing them up?

Since a manual does not exist, it is safe to say the women who form the majority of those you have met were influenced by the society and environment they reside in not the fact that they are Nigerians

Furthermore, if you have been to Europe, America, Asia etc and a majority of Nigerian women react to you in a negative attitude then have you sat down to think maybe you are the one with the problem?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by NigerianBelle: 6:10am On Nov 05, 2015
It's not a reaction to me, but how they interact with one another that I have observed. Besides, I'm not asking about women in Nigeria, since I've never been there. To say that it is an influence of the culture they have immersed themselves in is a fair argument.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by oginga: 6:13am On Nov 05, 2015
Op you're on point. That's exactly why Nigerian women are classified as the most sets of unfaithful species in our crazy world.

A materialistic woman will definitely throw her self to a dog if he can keep paying for her so called goodies. From my personal experience, an average Nigerian woman will rather accept cheap handbag or shoe over a best selling book.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by afoobiggy700(m): 6:25am On Nov 05, 2015
hmm
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 6:34am On Nov 05, 2015
NigerianBelle:
It's not a reaction to me, but how they interact with one another that I have observed. Besides, I'm not asking about women in Nigeria, since I've never been there. To say that it is an influence of the culture they have immersed themselves in is a fair argument.

All my Canadian born & bred friends & neighbours have a walk in closet full of clothes and assesories. My mother used a Trinket box. here, they have a jewelry closet , shoes racks nko? Go to ikea and see variety designs of clothes closets . you'll start drooling.

What is wrong with you people?

These women work their azzes off , pacify themselves with the finest and suddenly now shallow & vein , because they aren't exchanging book authors?

What is your problem when it comes to Nigerian women and how EXPENSIVE AND DECKED/ACCESSORIZED they present themselves in public?

What do you expect them talk about in public places besides family & wellbeing?

Do you watch the 'real housewives of every county , Mob wives, wives of rock and Ladies of London' ? What do they talk about besides throwing fists?

If you want some just politely ask and it shall be given to you.

Stop hating.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Day169: 6:35am On Nov 05, 2015
It's just a sign of the times! wink
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Miami11: 6:43am On Nov 05, 2015
Poster might not be hating just a genuine quiry I guess

My two cent, I have run into Extremely flamboyant Nigerians and being a cheapskate I have asked myself, don't they have a culture of investing and such? Getting the biggest most expensive car, flimsy phones trying to keep up with the Jones while we all work together, I can estimate their income.

But on the flip side I have run into non materialistic saving survy minded Nigerians, so you can't generalise.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by NigerianBelle: 6:55am On Nov 05, 2015
Ewuro4:

All my Canadian born & bred friends & neighbours have a walk in closet full of clothes and assesories. My mother used a Trinket box. here, they have a jewelry closet , shoes racks nko? Go to ikea and see variety designs of clothes closets . you'll start drooling.

These women work their azzes off , pacify themselves with the finest and suddenly now shallow & vein , because they aren't exchanging book authors?

What is your problem when it comes to Nigerian women and how EXPENSIVE AND DECKED/ACCESSORIZED they present themselves in public?

Do you watch the 'real housewives of every county , Mob wives, wives of rock and Ladies of London' ? What do they talk about besides throwing fists?

Stop hating.

First, I don't have a problem with being "decked" and certainly do not begrudge anyone the material items she may wish to buy/wear. I'm talking about the value put on such items to the point that they seem to factor in the way a woman is valued by her peers and that they manage to make this such a major conversation piece.

As far as Western media, please. These are not reflections of real life. That would be like me calling out Nollywood movies to back an argument.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by donogaga(m): 6:57am On Nov 05, 2015
Its true that an average naija woman is materialistic. What differ is the degree.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 05, 2015
You have not met the majority of Nigerian woman in America nor Europe.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by babygirlfl: 7:04am On Nov 05, 2015
Ewuro4:

Stop hating.

Madam pls I want some of that your matching shoe and bag. Thanks in advance.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 7:14am On Nov 05, 2015
NigerianBelle:

First, I don't have a problem with being "decked" and certainly do not begrudge anyone the material items she may wish to buy/wear. I'm talking about the value put on such items to the point that they seem to factor in the way a woman is valued by her peers and that they manage to make this such a major conversation piece.

So what's wrong with making a 100G raw gold necklace a major convo piece, aint that alone not worth talking about?

You mean, You really eavesdropped on a group of Nigerian ladies ladies to cull this statistics for a fact? Are you a man or a woman please? angry

As far as Western media, please. These are not reflections of real life. [s] That would be like me calling out Nollywood movies to back an argument [/s].

you missed the point.

A dodo knows they're all an act.. But the shows whole concept/portrayal is about women affairs. simple.

Whether you'll like it or not, women (scholars inclusive) put exorbitant value on Fashion and Look. 'will enthusiastically jump at @Trump Jnr compared to one raggedly dressed noble prized author cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by babygirlfl: 7:15am On Nov 05, 2015
There is an adage in my place that translate to mean that what you love is what takes your money.

If a woman can afford it, then why not. It's her choice. If she is also lucky to find someone that is willing and happy to fund her lifestyle, then lucky her and why not. Again it's her choice. It only becomes a problem when people expect other people to fund their expensive lifestyle.

Also, a well dressed woman does not translate to a woman who does not invest. Some can do both. I love investing my money as much as I love dressing up.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by xynerise: 7:16am On Nov 05, 2015
Don't you guys get tired of saying this trash? Change your environment and experience another side of life

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 7:17am On Nov 05, 2015
babygirlfl:

Madam pls I want some of that your matching shoe and bag. Thanks in advance.

You ehn grin Morning ... Choi I need to hump into bed, late here.

All yours .. As you wish sweetheart.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by babygirlfl: 7:20am On Nov 05, 2015
Ewuro4:

You ehn grin Morning ... Choi I need to hump into bed, late here.

All yours .. As you wish sweetheart.

Goodnight dear and sweet dreams.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by BALLOSKI: 8:04am On Nov 05, 2015
Economic situation and poverty.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:36am On Nov 05, 2015
Mynd44:

Furthermore, if you have been to Europe, America, Asia etc and a majority of Nigerian women react to you in a negative attitude then have you sat down to think maybe you are the one with the problem?

Are you sure you are referring this OP, and this topic.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:44am On Nov 05, 2015
babygirlfl:
There is an adage in my place that translate to mean that what you love is what takes your money.

If a woman can afford it, then why not. It's her choice. If she is also lucky to find someone that is willing and happy to fund her lifestyle, then lucky her and why not. Again it's her choice. It only becomes a problem when people expect other people to fund the expensive lifestyle.

Also, a well dressed woman does not translate to a woman who does not invest. Some can do both. I love investing my money as much as I love dressing up.

Her point isn't that one shouldn't have fine things.

Nope.

One can have jets and Rolls Royces, and still not be vain and materialistic.

Being materialistic is when you elevate these objects to the status of deity.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by PresVA: 11:06am On Nov 05, 2015
An average Nigerian guy wants a woman that will be good in cooking, housekeeping, babysitting etccc... but when a woman wants a man that will be able to cater for the family financially, she will be termed materialistic. ..

In Obasanjo's voice, commot jooor.. grin grin tongue

Ok, to answer in line with the Op, I understand some women place alot of attention on their material needs but it's their business.. some women like showing off unnecessarily... some like keeping up with latest fashion trends etccc... it's their life!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by lilmax(m): 11:10am On Nov 05, 2015
PresVA:
An average Nigerian guy wants a woman that will be good in cooking, housekeeping, babysitting etccc... but when a woman wants a man that will be able to cater for the family financially, she will be termed materialistic. ..

In Obasanjo's voice, commot jooor.. grin grin tongue

Ok, to answer in line with the Op, I understand some women place alot of attention on their material needs but it's their business.. some women like showing off unnecessarily. .
it depends cheesy

Are you speaking from a feministic point of view? If yay,then there is everything wrong with it
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 05, 2015
So, I work my ass off, keep late nights at work, meet/ beat deadlines and I decide to spend MY money on Gucci purses, Chanel shoes, red bottoms, vacation trips, while still doing my bit for the society and you dare say I'm materialistic?? undecided

Who then am I working for?? And if I decide not to invest, whose business is it?? So long as I don't come to you begging..

I meet beau49 for the first time and you expect I ask about her 'faith', sexual life and so called 'deep' issues?? I will withdraw from you if you try such. I'd rather ask her why she is wearing heels despite being 5'10 tongue That's how relationships start!

Freeze of CoolFm spends hundreds of thousands of naira on wristwatches and happily flaunts them, what do you call that?

I rest my case,

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by PresVA: 11:16am On Nov 05, 2015
lilmax:
it depends cheesy

Are you speaking from a feministic point of view? If yay,then there is everything wrong with it

I'm not a feminist... so do you agree with my statement?
Don't a woman have every right to choice just as men do?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by lilmax(m): 11:33am On Nov 05, 2015
PresVA:
I'm not a feminist... so do you agree with my statement?
Don't a woman have every right to choice just as men do?
males got 100% right,men can walk up to any girl on earth cool

Females 90 % under probability except they go to the male directly, thats why most don't get the tall,dark,rich and handsome at long last cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by PresVA: 11:43am On Nov 05, 2015
lilmax:
males got 100% right,men can walk up to any girl on earth cool

Females 90 % under probability except they go to the male directly, thats why most don't get the tall,dark,rich and handsome at long last cheesy
They can walk up to any girl but it's totally up to the girl to either accept or decline. .. undecided

However, my query is why would a lady be insulted when she says she wants to marry a rich (or atleast a comfortable) man?
Whereas men always check whether the lady is a 'wife material' as regards her home keeping skills...

If a man is supposed to be the financial pillar of a home while the woman takes care of the domestic chores.. isn't it logical that while men check for 'wifely' attributes, women should also be concerned about the men's financial capability? undecided tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Chinum: 11:58am On Nov 05, 2015
@Op, Birds of the same feather flock together. Change your materialistic behaviour, change your mindset and change your friends. Good luck.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by NigerianBelle: 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2015
Look, all I can say is that I was not begrudging anyone the right to buy whatever she pleases or to wear it. Again, I'm talking about the importance put on these things. I am born to a Niaja family (but born the US side), so you can't really call my observations "eavesdropping." This is not a quick call, but years of intermingling with my sisters from home. I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't see a difference between the Nigerian women who have been here since childhood and newcomers.

Besides, all the individuals who are defending their "right" to buy expensive things and flaunt them, instead of answering the question, are proving my point rather than disproving it.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by beau49: 8:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
naanxie:
So, I work my ass off, keep late nights at work, meet/ beat deadlines and I decide to spend MY money on Gucci purses, Chanel shoes, red bottoms, vacation trips, while still doing my bit for the society and you dare say I'm materialistic?? undecided

Who then am I working for?? And if I decide not to invest, whose business is it?? So long as I don't come to you begging..

I meet beau49 for the first time and you expect I ask about her 'faith', sexual life and so called 'deep' issues?? I will withdraw from you if you try such. I'd rather ask her why she is wearing heels despite being 5'10 tongue That's how relationships start!

Freeze of CoolFm spends hundreds of thousands of naira on wristwatches and happily flaunts them, what do you call that?

I rest my case,

Now this is hilarious cheesycheesycheesy

The Op is on a long thing.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Stillfire: 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
naanxie:

I rest my case,

Lollll.

@NigerianBelle
I do understand how you feel. Many of these girls can be excessive, I agree. And I also notice the contrast between the new arrivals and people who have lived abroad all their lives. There's a materialism on another level going on with the new arrivals both male and female e.g owning 2-3 smart phones etc. grin I don't get it and I can never get it. grin But it is their lives. Everyone has their use in your life some to make an impact and some as comic reliefs. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Tell Him That The Woman He Married Is A Marine Spirit? / Under Pressure To Marry / How Well Do You Know Or Trust Your Househelp(s)/nanny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.