Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook (27221 Views)

Youths Catch Man Having Sex With Married Woman In The Bush In Owerri / Woman In Adamawa Sees Husband's Romantic Chat With Another Lady On Facebook / Man Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman In Bayelsa Caught Pants Down (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
Thanks, Ewuro5.

Mindfulness, per your comment.

1. Economic participation and opportunity –
outcomes on salaries, participation levels and access
to high-skilled employment:

a) In the world of business, women are more prone to starting up a business and get loans very easily: http://harambeetoday.org/index.php/business/item/1562-nigeria-women-outnumber-men-in-business-startups/1562-nigeria-women-outnumber-men-in-business-startups
b) In terms of salaries and remuneration, there is 100% equality. Men do not outearn their female contemporaries in the Nigerian work environment.
c) In terms of securing employment, depending on who you ask, women are more likely to get employed than men because they're women. I don't have the stats, but I'd say women have equal opportunity in the Labour market alongside men.

2. Educational attainment – outcomes on access to
basic and higher level education:

Again, I fail to see the discrimination of women in this respect. Every child in Nigeria has an equal or corresponding opportunity/disadvantage in terms of education. For every child who isn't in school for some artificial reason, there's a boy in a shop, or just being an almajiri. There is practically no inequality in this regard.
You could say the same for higher education, and any differences that may arise would be majorly due to student competence; entrance and programme completion. I hear schools are to admit a certain percentage of women and if this is true then it's inequality against men; for in reality, meritorious equality should be measured in opportunity not participation. If you like this quotasystem, you are not a dictionary feminist. wink. Nobody is stopping Nigerian women from going to school or graduating. School gates are wide open and only the best, brains/money get in.

3. Political empowerment – outcomes on
representation in decision-making structures:

This one has been overflogged in this section already. No woman has a different requirement for attaining political power in Nigeria from men. The requirements are the same for both sexes. If women lag behind in gender representation in politics, it's because they simply lack the will and wherewithal to pursue political empowerment. How many qualified women even voted in the last elections?

4. Health and survival – outcomes on life expectancy
and sex ratio. In this case parity is not assumed,
there are assumed to be less female births than
male (944 female for every 1,000 males), and men
are assumed to die younger. Provided that women
live at least six percent longer than men parity is
assumed, if it is less than six percent it counts as a
gender gap.

Imagine the hogwash. Can it not be assumed that there's something killing men worldwide, and particularly in Nigeria? This rubbish deserves no response.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
TooNoisy

How do you explain the fact that Nigeria ranked 118 (out of 142 countries) in 2014 in the global gender gap index?

This is easy to explain. Nigeria has a significant Moslem population and a lot of what you these disparity you talk of is mostly as a result of religion/culture. In the map you posted you see the cases are prevalent in Islamic countries due to the culture.. Unless you want peoples freedom to religion be banned

If you check the stats in an American state like Utah, Idaho or Colorado where they are largely rural and have a significant Mormon population(who practise polygamy) you would notice the higher disparity compared to other places that are urban and monogamous like in SOuthern Nigeria

Even US govt despite being the most advanced country still cant interfere with people freedom of religion

2 Likes

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

Do people not say the same thing about DBanj, Don Jazzy, Timaya even S3un the owner of NL

Do they? Do you observe the same quality and amount of such comments on threads about them?

Only that men dont whine about it. they just feel its part of living. People would talk regardless

Nobody is whining. And even if they were, it is their choice. If you or anyone else feel they need to bottle anything up, it is your and their choice too.
I do not see a reason why people should not address issues concerning them and why they should not be free to express themselves.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

This is easy to explain. Nigeria has a significant Moslem population and a lot of what you these disparity you talk of is mostly as a result of religion/culture. In the map you posted you see the cases are prevalent in Islamic countries due to the culture.. Unless you want peoples freedom to religion be banned

If you check the stats in an American state like Utah, Idaho or Colorado where they are largely rural and have a significant Mormon population(who practise polygamy) you would notice the higher disparity compared to other places that are urban and monogamous like in SOuthern Nigeria

Even US govt despite being the most advanced country still cant interfere with people freedom of religion

Even though the situation of Muslim women in Nigeria is even worse, the gender gap index includes the entire population.
Moreover, Muslims are not Nigerians? Why are they not equally protected. Religion should not even be a part of law-making.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 4:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
Do they? Do you observe the same quality and amount of such comments on threads about them?

They sure do. On NL anytime a topic on DBanj or Don Jazzy comes up check every page and see if you wont see reference to their marital status. Because they dont have blogs where people go to comment

Nobody is whining. And even if they were, it is their choice. If you or anyone else feel they need to bottle anything up, it is your and their choice too.
I do not see a reason why people should not address issues concerning them and why they should not be free to express themselves.

Whining in most cases is just blaming the environment or society for your problems. In most cases dont achieve anything If you want any change go for it. Spending time complaining is not going to achieve anything

Like someone asked, The multiple men politicians or policies in Nigeria, what have they done to better the Life of a man

Do they have special salary for men over women?
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

They sure do. On NL anytime a topic on DBanj or Don Jazzy comes up check every page and see if you wont see reference to their marital status. Because they dont have blogs where people go to comment

Good, one more reason to address the issue then.

Whining in most cases is just blaming the environment or society for your problems. In most cases dont achieve anything If you want any change go for it. Spending time complaining is not going to achieve anything

Like someone asked, The multiple men politicians or policies in Nigeria, what have they done to better the Life of a man

Do they have special salary for men over women?

I have no problem and I don't blame anyone but I do believe that addressing issues and raising awareness will go a long way.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 4:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
Even though the situation of Muslim women in Nigeria is even worse, the gender gap index includes the entire population.
Moreover, Muslims are not Nigerians? Why are they not equally protected. Religion should not even be a part of law-making.

Growing up in SOuthern Nigeria, I didnt notice any difference between a boy or a girl in what they are allowed to do, their limitations are only based on Biology and nature

There were more girls in every class I was until SS1 where girls avoided Science and in University because girls avoided Engineeering

Any University in Southern Nigeria probably has more women than Men in population. Actually in Eastern Nigeria women are more educated than men

Do we have women advocacy to have more women in front line vs Boko Haram, serve as coal miners, palm wine tappers or other risky ventures
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 4:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
Good, one more reason to address the issue then.

I have no problem and I don't blame anyone but I do believe that addressing issues and raising awareness will go a long way.

It is an isue everywhere in the world, Some are still commenting in US that P Diddy isnt married or JayZ married late even Bill Gates

As long as you live with human being ppl would comment/complain about you whether you are tall short, fair dark fat or skinny, married or not

And so will it be till the end of time
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
Timbuktou:
Thanks, Ewuro5.

Mindfulness, per your comment.

1. Economic participation and opportunity –
outcomes on salaries, participation levels and access
to high-skilled employment:

a) In the world of business, women are more prone to starting up a business and get loans very easily: http://harambeetoday.org/index.php/business/item/1562-nigeria-women-outnumber-men-in-business-startups/1562-nigeria-women-outnumber-men-in-business-startups
b) In terms of salaries and remuneration, there is 100% equality. Men do not outearn their female contemporaries in the Nigerian work environment.
c) In terms of securing employment, depending on who you ask, women are more likely to get employed than men because they're women. I don't have the stats, but I'd say women have equal opportunity in the Labour market alongside men.

2. Educational attainment – outcomes on access to
basic and higher level education:

Again, I fail to see the discrimination of women in this respect. Every child in Nigeria has an equal or corresponding opportunity/disadvantage in terms of education. For every child who isn't in school for some artificial reason, there's a boy in a shop, or just being an almajiri. There is practically no inequality in this regard.
You could say the same for higher education, and any differences that may arise would be majorly due to student competence; entrance and programme completion. I hear schools are to admit a certain percentage of women and if this is true then it's inequality against men; for in reality, meritorious equality should be measured in opportunity not participation. If you like this quotasystem, you are not a dictionary feminist. wink. Nobody is stopping Nigerian women from going to school or graduating. School gates are wide open and only the best, brains/money get in.

3. Political empowerment – outcomes on
representation in decision-making structures:

This one has been overflogged in this section already. No woman has a different requirement for attaining political power in Nigeria from men. The requirements are the same for both sexes. If women lag behind in gender representation in politics, it's because they simply lack the will and wherewithal to pursue political empowerment. How many qualified women even voted in the last elections?

4. Health and survival – outcomes on life expectancy
and sex ratio. In this case parity is not assumed,
there are assumed to be less female births than
male (944 female for every 1,000 males), and men
are assumed to die younger. Provided that women
live at least six percent longer than men parity is
assumed, if it is less than six percent it counts as a
gender gap.

Imagine the hogwash. Can it not be assumed that there's something killing men worldwide, and particularly in Nigeria? This rubbish deserves no response.

The gender disparity index is all made up and all wrong then. I see. Is this what you are trying to say?
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

It is an isue everywhere in the world, Some are still commenting in US that P Diddy isnt married or JayZ married late even Bill Gates

As long as you live with human being ppl would comment/complain about you whether you are tall short, fair dark fat or skinny, married or not

And so will it be till the end of time

Are you kidding me?

I have been living in Europe for a long time now and the things I read here on NL or hear Nigerians say are so backward that it hurts my eyes and ears and it makes me lose hope that they will EVER be the leaders in anything as their mentality is the same people in the West left behind 50 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

Growing up in SOuthern Nigeria, I didnt notice any difference between a boy or a girl in what they are allowed to do, their limitations are only based on Biology and nature

There were more girls in every class I was until SS1 where girls avoided Science and in University because girls avoided Engineeering

Any University in Southern Nigeria probably has more women than Men in population. Actually in Eastern Nigeria women are more educated than men

Do we have women advocacy to have more women in front line vs Boko Haram, serve as coal miners, palm wine tappers or other risky ventures

The fact that you didn't notice any difference does not mean that there is no difference.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

The gender disparity index is all made up and all wrong then. I see. Is this what you are trying to say?

It is an index not based in the reality of equal opportunity. It is based on outcomes, in this case, outcomes of opportunity. It doesn't state or imply that Nigeria discriminates against its female population. Outcomes can be influenced by a million variables, however, equal/unequal opprtunity isn't one of them.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 08, 2015
Timbuktou:

It is an index not based in the reality of equal opportunity. It is based on outcomes, in this case, outcomes of opportunity. It doesn't state or imply that Nigeria discriminates against its female population. Outcomes can be influenced by a million variables, however, equal/unequal opprtunity isn't one of them.

The index shows that Nigeria has a lot of work to do.

Timbuktou, let me ask you a question, is what the OP shows all made up?

Have we not seen here plenty of threads making an issue of women who earn more than their husbands?
Have we not seen here plenty of threads insulting women because they are not married at a certain age?
Have we not seen here threads about men feeling insecure when a woman drives a fancy car?
Are there no hotels in Nigeria that do not accept a woman who travels alone?
Have we not seen threads that tell women that they must accept cheating because it is normal to be cheated on?
Have we not witnessed discussions on how a woman is supposed to serve her husband food without him feeling disrespected?
Have we not seen threads on which people make it look that it is a woman who is responsible for the working out of a marriage even though it is generally accepted that the man is a boss, one that has no responsibility else than providing money though?
Have we not seen women being insulted as wh.ores but men taking pride in promiscuity?

And my favorite one of late was the thread with the nanny who se.xually abused a child: Some people ACTUALLY blamed mothers for having a job or even a career. grin

Do you think this is normal? I think it is ridiculous. Well, at least I have a good laugh sometimes.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 5:16pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
Are you kidding me?

I have been living in Europe for a long time now and the things I read here on NL or hear Nigerians say are so backward that it hurts my eyes and ears and it makes me lose hope that they will EVER be the leaders in anything as their mentality is the same people in the West left behind 50 years ago.

I have been living in America too for quite a while and there is nothing I heard on here that I havent heard in US

I have heard conservative women group bash women who dont get married, who choose to work, women who chose to bear one child, women who divorce and remarry, women who watch their wight , women who are highly educated

There is nothing I have seen here that I havent seen a variant of it in the US or on US blogs which tells me, its human nature and biases would always exist

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 5:19pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
The fact that you didn't notice any difference does not mean that there is no difference.

In SOuthern Nigeria there is no difference. I havent heard of a family that educated boys and not girls in my lifetime or gave boys opportunity they didnt give girls

The banking industry is one of the best places to work and its largely dominated by females, The places I worked in Nigeria have more female than men

1 Like

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

I have been living in America too for quite a while and there is nothing I heard on here that I havent heard in US

I have heard conservative women group bash women who dont get married, who choose to work, women who chose to bear one child, women who divorce and remarry, women who watch their wight , women who are highly educated

There is nothing I have seen here that I havent seen a variant of it in the US or on US blogs which tells me, its human nature and biases would always exist

Yeah, right. For me it is obvious that Nigeria is at least 50-100 years behind.

And they will ignorantly say that it is African culture, even though it was imposed on them by European rulers, who later decided to drop this way of thinking when Nigerians decide to stick to it even though it serves nobody.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

In SOuthern Nigeria there is no difference. I havent heard of a family that educated boys and not girls in my lifetime or gave boys opportunity they didnt give girls

Did I say that women have no access to education? I even know of a family that educated their first daughter but not their boys.

The banking industry is one of the best places to work and its largely dominated by females, The places I worked in Nigeria have more female than men

I remember a thread some months ago, on which the OP told a story of his friend whose parents didn't want him to marry a girl who works in a bank because they sleep with customers. grin
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by raumdeuter: 5:29pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:
The index shows that Nigeria has a lot of work to do.
Timbuktou, let me ask you a question, is what the OP shows all made up?

Have we not seen here plenty of threads making an issue of women who earn more than their husbands?
Have we not seen here plenty of threads insulting women because they are not married at a certain age?
Have we not seen here threads about men feeling insecure when a woman drives a fancy car?
Are there no hotels in Nigeria that do not accept a woman who travels alone?
Have we not seen threads that tell women that they must accept cheating because it is normal to be cheated on?
Have we not witnessed discussions on how a woman is supposed to serve her husband food without him feeling disrespected?
Have we not seen threads on which people make it look that it is a woman who is responsible for the working out of a marriage even though it is generally accepted that the man is a boss, one that has no responsibility else than providing money though?
Have we not seen women being insulted as wh.ores but men taking pride in promiscuity?

And my favorite one of late was the thread with the nanny who se.xually abused a child: Some people ACTUALLY blamed mothers for having a job or even a career. grin

Do you think this is normal? I think it is ridiculous. Well, at least I have a good laugh sometimes.

-Have we not seen plenty of threads where a man is called lazy because he isnt making enough money?
-Have we not seen male insulted for being a certain age and not married by a certain age
-Have we not seen threads about men who are undateable because they dont have a car?
-There are hotels who do such with reason, Especially when the women dress scantily or suggestively as it puts off their male and female client. Its a private business and they are free to choose their clientele. I havent seen any hotel that denied service to a professionally dressed woman. I have worked in many organisations where women travel alone and stay in hotels
-Have you not seen threads where men are laughed at and told to suck it up when attacked physically by their wife?
-Have we not seen threads about how men should talk to their wives without feeling disrespected
-Have we not seen situations where every dysfunctionality in a persons life is blamed on the father
Have we not seen where men are insulted for being broke and no one expects women to be burdened by the financial running of the house?

My favourite was a particular poster who blamed his father that had to travel far weekly to provide for his family for not being there for them

Bi o se wa ni liki lo wa ni gbanja.

8 Likes

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
raumdeuter:

-Have we not seen plenty of threads where a man is called lazy because he isnt making enough money?
-Have we not seen male insulted for being a certain age and not married by a certain age
-Have we not seen threads about men who are undateable because they dont have a car?
-There are hotels who do such with reason, Especially when the women dress scantily or suggestively as it puts off their male and female client. Its a private business and they are free to choose their clientele. I havent seen any hotel that denied service to a professionally dressed woman. I have worked in many organisations where women travel alone and stay in hotels
-Have you not seen threads where men are laughed at and told to suck it up when attacked physically by their wife?
-Have we not seen threads about how men should talk to their wives without feeling disrespected
-Have we not seen situations where every dysfunctionality in a persons life is blamed on the father
Have we not seen where men are insulted for being broke and no one expects women to be burdened by the financial running of the house?

My favourite was a particular poster who blamed his father that had to travel far weekly to provide for his family for not being there for them

Bi o se wa ni liki lo wa ni gbanja.

You have just provided many more reasons why we need to change this backward mentality. Thank you. We are together in this. smiley wink cheesy
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Ewuro4: 6:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
cococandy:
bPls how do people tackle a problem without talking about it?
All these posts aimed at shushing the OP doesn't make sense to me in that way.
We talk online about child abuse, we talk about jungle justice etc and anything we feel isn't happening the way it should.
I don't see that as whining.
No problem is ever addressed by shutting up about it.
I don't get the logic.

Talk about it aka Solutions aka your abusie awareness thread. Yes that I can relate with. not whining about rubbish like OP.

Yes op needs to be beaten not only shushed for whining and crying foul over what is supposedly meant to be tackled e.g ask people's opinions for solutions.

If anyone is having a marital /self esteem problem as a result of their upbringing, they should come forward and say so rather than injecting their frustrations online on daily basis.

Nobody is stopping anyone from acquiring and reaching their lifelong goals. SOCIETY IS NOT AN EXCUSE, NOT ANYMORE. NOT IN 2015.

1 Like

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Ewuro4: 6:15pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

I believe in change. I believe in progress. I believe that we were ALL born to evolve. Animals, people, nations and the globe. It has always been like this and it always will be. The Internet is a beautiful medium to accelerate the process, which we are always the slowest at. wink

Wishing you a beautiful Sunday.

I believe in change too...
But
Abusing the Internet (like OP) will revoke the global influenced populace to believe our genuine problems as a country. Societal pressure is a global problem.

The q is what are you doing to make a change?

Wishing you the same.

1 Like

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ewuro4:

I believe in change too...
But
Abusing the Internet (like OP) will revoke the global influenced populace to believe our genuine problems as a country. Societal pressure is a global problem.

The q is what are you doing to make a change?

Wishing you the same.

So your problem is what the "global influenced populace" will believe?
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Ewuro4: 6:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

So your problem is what the "global influenced populace" will believe?

No problem whatsoever

but yes misrepresentation of what really seem to be our core issue as a county is a bother and unnecessary rant.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness, Raumdeuter has responded aptly.

However, the index is, at best, for information purposes. The opportunity exists in Nigeria for women to achieve what they want. Any failure on their part to do is strictly a result of their shortcomings and not society's, that's the point.

Being made up is not the issue. The OP should, at best, be comic relief. In all my years on this forum, I've only seen one such thread talking about the difficulty of being a man. Nobody took the OP serious, naturally. So, tell your sisters to roll up their sleeves and get to work. Whingeing is counter-productive.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ewuro4:

No problem whatsoever

but yes misrepresentation of what really seem to be our core issue as a county is a bother and unnecessary rant.

The core issue is people's mentality and the examples in the OP are just a few of this mentality's manifestations.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by cococandy(f): 7:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ewuro4:

Talk about it aka Solutions aka your abusie awareness thread. Yes that I can relate with. not whining about rubbish like OP.

Yes op needs to be beaten not only shushed for whining and crying foul over what is supposedly meant to be tackled e.g ask people's opinions for solutions.

If anyone is having a marital /self esteem problem as a result of their upbringing, they should come forward and say so rather than injecting their frustrations online on daily basis.

Nobody is stopping anyone from acquiring and reaching their lifelong goals. SOCIETY IS NOT AN EXCUSE, NOT ANYMORE. NOT IN 2015.

@bold, is a wrong inference.

That this man came out to say this doesn't mean he has self esteem or marital issues. Or was brought up badly.
That's an unfair way of shushing people who speak their opinions up. We should At least counter his points. Say he's lying if we think so.
Saying his observations are a lie even if he's not lying is better than attacking his personality.

Must anyone who talks about something be doing it from personal experience? And even if they were? What difference does it make? It only makes it more valid if anything.

Yes of course I agree society is no longer an excuse anymore. That's one piece of advice I think people need to leave this thread with. Do what you want (as long as it's not a crime) regardless of how others see it.
Still man is a social being and public opinion cannot be shunned by all since everyone doesn't have the same capabilities and strengths.

What's the better solution to saying 'ignore' as if it's that easy for everyone than actually disabusing people's minds of some of the archaic beliefs that lead to such discriminations in the first place.

As far as this thread is concerned now, everyone is saying don't listen to 'society' I.e those around you. But when folks get in trouble we ask them to consult a third party, An older one, a church leader, public forums etc who also happen to be part of this faceless society that we somehow think is dispensable at will. It far easier said than done.

I for one have the strong will to do that but I noticed that I've always been seen as different, stubborn even. So I know not everyone can be like that.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 08, 2015
Timbuktou:
Mindfulness, Raumdeuter has responded aptly.

However, the index is, at best, for information purposes. The opportunity exists in Nigeria for women to achieve what they want. Any failure on their part to do is strictly a result of their shortcomings and not society's, that's the point.

Yeah right. This is the country of unlimited opportunities for everyone. grin

Being made up is not the issue. The OP should, at best, be comic relief. In all my years on this forum, then only time I saw a thread about it being difficult being a man he was lambasted and told to get lost. Nobody took him serious, naturally. So, tell your sisters to roll up their sleeves and get to work. Whingeing is counter-productive.

Are the examples made up or not?
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

Yeah right. This is the country of unlimited opportunities for everyone. grin

Are the examples made up or not?

It's ok. You're free to scoff. You have just proven with your comment that the only thing you know about Nigeria is and location. grin

The OP is a waste of internet ink.

1 Like

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
Timbuktou:

It's ok. You're free to scoff. You have just proven with your comment that the only thing you know about Nigeria is name is name location. grin

The OP is a waste of internet ink.

Timbuktou, since you are avoiding my questions, it is better we talk some other time when you are ready.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

Timbuktou, since you are avoiding my questions, it is better we talk some other time when you are ready.

Not giving the answer you want isn't the same as avoiding.
Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by bukatyne(f): 7:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

The core issue is people's mentality and the examples in the OP are just a few of this mentality's manifestations.

101% right.

And bad marriages....

OK, it is still back to wrong mentality.

We are all saying a woman should be independent etc. yet if a wife comes crying that her husband threatened her job or the marriage, we will be tempted to say 'resign your job, your marriage is more important'. As we converse, some women are probably still asking their husband's permission to resume a new job tomorrow.

I will say women knowing what they want to be and towing that path BEFORE marriage goes a very long way to weed out such men.

Ironically, I know someone who is pushing his wife seriously to build something for herself

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being A Woman In Nigeria Is Hard Says A Nigerian Man On Facebook by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
TooNoisy:

You must have scored an F9 in maths. How can one single woman represent 0.5% of the female population in Nigeria. Nigerian has approximately 85 million women. 0.5% of that will be about 425,000. How on earth is that even close to the number 1. No wonder you keep complaining about society being unfair to you. It's crystal clear you have no formal education apart from graduating from the school of madness. Your IQ must be less than your shoe size ....

baddest!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? / Is Cheating Enough Reason To Leave A Legal Marriage ? / If Your Spouse Gains Scholarship To Study Abroad A Month After Wedding.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.