Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? (8766 Views)

Nairaland's Newest Fad: Team End-time / Feminism - Why Women In General (especially Black Women) Have Been Duped By It!! / Gender Inequality ("Men Always Like To Be Domineering") (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 1:19am On Nov 11, 2005
one of da things this gurly don't like is when you're like arguing, debatin, talking about a ponit with someone and the person ain't got notin to say. instead of sayin that he/she now cums up with somefin like nevermind or i leave u

Damygurl,

Honestly, I do have stuff to say... but why should I say it if it ends up upsetting/offending you and I'm still not able to communicate? What positive thing would I then have achieved?

da best way to communicate is to make da other person understand u.
You're right about that... but it's also important to choose the right moment to communicate. I know you say you weren't upset, but that is exactly what came across when I read your post. And really - I don't find it easy to explain what I mean to people when they're upset. So I may return to this issue when I think you've cooled down a bit.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 1:32am On Nov 11, 2005
seriouzly don't ya think u going over da top!! hello it's just a post and u can't agree with everybody and everybody can't agree with u!! so u just go and say anytihing u wanna say. trust me i'm not gon get upset. if i get upset about stuff just cuz people don't agree with wat i say o well i don know but i sure do know it's not healthy!!! if i don't agree with wat u got to say. i'm gon tell u. dats one thing i do best. i speak my mind!! it's just a post now if itwas like say a debate where they gon choose a winner or somefinlike dat and i strongly believe in wat i'm saying but da other person ends up wining. yea i will get a lil upset but hey! i'm human!! but i'm gon be myself again after i got time to think about it and i tell my self gurly u can't win every game in lifel!!! Appreciate da ones u win and don't lose a sleep over da ones u lost!!! and after a dose of my fav wine/juice and chocolate!!! wink
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 1:44am On Nov 11, 2005
OK, I hear you.

Really, I am quite tired now (it's late here) - but so that we can understand each other better, can you explain why you thought that my illustration to Nferyn using food wasn't relevant? What did you think I meant by using that illustration?

Also, you seem to feel that equal rights and equal opportunity mean the same. Why do you think this is the case?
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 1:55am On Nov 11, 2005
Ka:

Nferyn,

I won't prolong this debate, because I know you have an appointment to keep on this thread. But I'm still somewhat dubious about the notion of legal equality - what do you mean by this? Do you mean laws that apply equally to men and women, or that men and women should have the same laws applied to them, or what? Please explain.

yeah. equal laws should be applied to both. let me give you an anecdote:

during last fall's sport season, we the varsity soccer girls team had to hold a bake sale, sell tickets and raise funds on our own to benefit our sport. We wouldn't have have to take money out of our pockets to play a sport if we were boys. THE BOYS FOOTBALL TEAM GET ALL THE SCHOOL MONEY AND SUPPORT WHILE THE GIRLS SPORT HAVE TO RAISE MONEY BY OURSELVES. I didn't think that was fair angry

look at any country (Nigeria for example). it's not like there isn't a national girls football (soccer), team, but the men's team get all the attention and federal support!
that's an example of gender inequality

also, bosses and employers tend to employ males over females even when they have the same credencials (i hope i spelled that right lipsrsealed). Even when females are employed, they tend to get a lesser paycheck than men for the same amount and type of work!
that's another example of gender inequality!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 1:57am On Nov 11, 2005
please Your illustration about America  is just whack , you should be able to understand that America is not a Soccer nation, Football is number one not Soccer, how many Americans like soccer. A few
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 2:04am On Nov 11, 2005
no one's comparing soccer with AM football. so read before making stupid comments.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 2:05am On Nov 11, 2005
i said dat cuz  da message u waz trying to get out thru da illustration wasn't wat me was talking about. to me u view equal rights as d gurl wanting to be da guy. dats not it. equal rights is da gurl wantin to have da same rights and priviledges as da guy. she don wanna be discriminated  on just cuz she's a gurl!!!!! oppourtunity is a chance, especially one that offers some kind of advantagenity in it.
Right is an entitlement, freedom, or privilege to do something. i'm not saying they mean da same thing. da word i used was sorta. lets be realistic. we fight 4 equal rights but i don know maybe in da nxt 500yrs it gon be so but 4 now. women r still not given da same opportunities as men. take nigeria 4 example. how many women r in power? with da way d world is when a gurl gets into power it seen as a chance cuz dis will get people to vote 4 more women in da future. it's sorta like a blk person becoming president in America. lets say  a blk guy gets in to me dats an oppourtunity cuz it opens and gives more chances 4 more blk future presidents.
d stuff i already mention shouldn't have to be equal oppourtunity but rights. we should be entitled to it and not have to get it by chance!!
@nddy so if football is d ****** one sport in america does dat mean d other sport shouldn't be appreciated. since there r more dan one sport then both should be supported. it's just like saying cuz dis gurl is da biological daughter she should begiven wateva she wants and d adopted daughter should have to fend 4 herself!!!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:12am On Nov 11, 2005
listen how would you expect soccer or even male soccer to get more money, You illustratiion is just useless, American aint Europe or Africa and Hispanic countries where Soccer rules. That is just pratically lame. Dont use soccer and AM for your illustration. I undersatnd you talking about the male and the female factor but you gat to understand America's number passion is Football
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 2:12am On Nov 11, 2005
during last fall's sport season, we the varsity soccer girls team had to hold a bake sale, sell tickets and raise funds on our own to benefit our sport. We wouldn't have have to take money out of our pockets to play a sport if we were boys. THE BOYS FOOTBALL TEAM GET ALL THE SCHOOL MONEY AND SUPPORT WHILE THE GIRLS SPORT HAVE TO RAISE MONEY BY OURSELVES. I didn't think that was fair
I don't understand enough about your school's policy on sport to comment on this. Perhaps it chooses to allocate money to sporting teams on the basis of how popular the sport is with the wider educational community rather than on gender basis.

look at any country (Nigeria for example). it's not like there isn't a national girls football  (soccer), team, but the men's team get all the attention and federal support! that's an example of gender inequality
Well, what can anyone do about the attention that men's soccer gets? Are you suggesting that followers of soccer be forced to attend and cheer the women's soccer team even if they hate women's soccer? It's one thing to campaign for women to be given the freedom to pursue happiness... it's quite another thing to suggest that that happiness should come at the expense of others.

also, bosses and employers tend to employ males over females even when they have the same creden[t]ials (i hope i spelled that right  ). Even when females are employed, they tend to get a lesser paycheck than men for the same amount and type of work! that's another example of gender inequality!
Sometimes, it's not just a matter of credentials... there are other things that come into play, like whether the employee will get along with other employees... what his/her personal skills are, etc. But I believe that it is more important to arm women with these kinds of skills and abilities than to try and impose a quota or some other kind of inflexible criteria that robs the employer of the freedom to choose the most suitable person for his company.

OK, that's it for now - I really have to get some shut eye now! I'll reply to other posts tomorrow.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:15am On Nov 11, 2005
@Damy , your illustration is also whack, if you dont know Blood is blood, i would love my biological child than any adopted child but i might not exzibit such in their presence
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 2:29am On Nov 11, 2005
I don't understand enough about your school's policy on sport to comment on this. Perhaps it chooses to allocate money to sporting teams on the basis of how popular the sport is with the wider educational community rather than on gender basis

hahahha what are you saying. My school's policy? it happens in almost every school!
how do the sports become popular! through money and support. if the girls sports get support adn financial aid, they will be popular too. and that's my poing exactly!!!!!

Well, what can anyone do about the attention that men's soccer gets? Are you suggesting that followers of soccer be forced to attend and cheer the women's soccer team even if they hate women's soccer? It's one thing to campaign for women to be given the freedom to pursue happiness... it's quite another thing to suggest that that happiness should come at the expense of others.

you hate women's soccer? just the same way i hate men's soccer! and it's the only one they play on tv. i hardly see women's soccer play!
soccer is the same thing. why should you classify it as different just because of gender! see my point?

happiness to come at the expense of others? what do you mean? men deserve to be happier than men? there are as many women as men in this world okay. and it doesn't hurt to give them equal attention. when does 50/50 become "at the expense of others"?

Sometimes, it's not just a matter of credentials... there are other things that come into play, l[b]ike whether the employee will get along with other employees... what his/her personal skills are, etc. But I believe that it is more important to arm women with these kinds of skills and abilities than to try and impose a quota or some other kind of inflexible criteria that robs the employer of the freedom to choose the most suitable person for his company.

would you be happy if a boss told you you aren't going to be hired because a white male counterpart who has the same credentials as you applied and for the sake of getting along with him (because blacks have this steriotype of being "criminals" you'll be loosing the spot.
if you were to be hired however, you'll have to get less money just because you're black!

how would you feel?

and i said same credentials meaning same skills and abilities
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 2:33am On Nov 11, 2005
nddy:

@Damy , your illustration is also whack, if you don't know Blood is blood, i would love my biological child than any adopted child but i might not exzibit such in their presence
so wt about d peeps who luv both there biological and adopted kids equally. i'm not even talking baout love here. My question waz will let da adopted child fend 4 him/herself? u don't have to luv something to help support it.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:37am On Nov 11, 2005
One thing i can say for a fact is support of a sport has to do with the history of that sport and its origin. American football is an American sport, played mainly in US, Europe as a whole dont care about American game. So you thinking about getting equal support from your school as the Football team, would never happen.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 2:41am On Nov 11, 2005
no one's talking about american football. keep that to yourself. no one even asked for your stupid opinions. you don't have anything to say, then va t'en!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:44am On Nov 11, 2005
@Damy, i understand you, but you have to understand for a fact, that we are different humans, some would and some wouldnt do it.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:46am On Nov 11, 2005
@wesley , i don't understand you, are you sexually frustrated or frustrated in life. Please don't ever in your Damn life try to take your Frustration on Me. Go get a life and look for a guy, you lil slut
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 2:51am On Nov 11, 2005
nddy:

@wesley , i don't understand you, are you sexually frustrated or frustrated in life. Please don't ever in your Damn life try to take your Frustration on Me. Go get a life and look for a guy, you lil slut

no one asked you for your opinion on this thread. and i make it clear to you: "if you don't have anything to say relating to the topic, don't post it"!.
if you badly need your medication that much then i guess you have to wait for Layi to come online for that. Go and start your fight with him not me.

if you still have non-sensible comments don't even bother post it. no one's going to reply you! stupid attention seeker.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:55am On Nov 11, 2005
if you still have non-sensible comments don't even bother post it. no one's going to reply you! stupid attention seeker.

just like your mama
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 2:58am On Nov 11, 2005
saying no one asked for my opinion, can i ask you a question , Did any member of your stupid family start this forum, ? I think the answer is no , so you cant stop me lil ass hole. MF, You and Layi , could bring your ugly selfs on me, i gat you all mf , COCk sucker, ugly fools
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 3:10am On Nov 11, 2005
oh well!!! i'm not much of a fan of peeps talking about another person's family. dats too rude. u got a beef with da person then say it to them don't bring innocent peeps to it. and definately not family!!!!!! i don't get it people disagree. yall don't have to agree with eachother but now saying her mama is just wrong!! u can say wateva u want to her cuz she joined d site not her mom so talking about her mom like dat is just not right!!!

wanna use diz oppourtunity to tell evryone if u got a beef with me take it out with me plz do not at Anytime refer to my family members and definately not my MAMA. she's one special lady and i don't wan nobody talking bad about her.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 3:15am On Nov 11, 2005
well welcome to the real world where you things dont always go your way.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by nddy(m): 3:16am On Nov 11, 2005
secondly are you trying to get into this coz i would fry you to hell. seriously , i would do it without mercy
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by damygurl(f): 3:56am On Nov 11, 2005
i'm not gettin into anything i'm sayin wat i think about da matter. oh well i ain't saying things r alwayz gon go my way i'm saying plz i value my family and i don't want nobody talking about them like dat! u got a problem with me then u take it out with me!!!
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 3:02pm On Nov 12, 2005
It is a man's world because women allow it to be a man's world. The fact that men are bigger is not much of an advantage in a civilized society because most jobs these days are brain jobs, and fighting someone physically can get you in jail.

But if the women refuse to stand up for their rights and support each other, then the exploitative men will continue to have their way. Women make up 50% of the society which means if "the society" is discriminating against women then women deserve at least 50% of the blame. In my opinion, women deserve more than 50% of the blame because they are the ones who know what they are suffering.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 6:03pm On Nov 12, 2005
Seun:

It is a man's world because women allow it to be a man's world. The fact that men are bigger is not much of an advantage in a civilized society because most jobs these days are brain jobs, and fighting someone physically can get you in jail.

But if the women refuse to stand up for their rights and support each other, then the exploitative men will continue to have their way. Women make up 50% of the society which means if "the society" is discriminating against women then women deserve at least 50% of the blame. In my opinion, women deserve more than 50% of the blame because they are the ones who know what they are suffering.

yeah right. are you trying to say it's a white man's world because black men allow it to be a white man's world. the fact that white men are smarter, have all teh technology and can blow the world up with their weapons of mass destruction.. . . . . .

women are making efforts to help their situation. but without the men's help they really can't go far. men control everything and in the 1920's when women were fighting to be enfranchised (to be able to vote), they finally got it from the men. see that would never happen in Africa. Africa still has a long way to go.
now we have a couple of female presidents. who knows in the future, it wouldn't matter anyore if it was a male or a female who won elections.

in the past too only boys were allowed education but now, there are more women than men in higher institutions because men really don't care. they even tend to drop out than females. While women are trying hard to improve themselves by getting into school.
In Africa, it's the fathers that would discourage their daughters from going to school and say "you're going to end up in kitchen". what do you want the girl to do? beat her father up and steal his money to go to school?
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 7:24pm On Nov 12, 2005
what do you want the girl to do? beat her father up and steal his money to go to school?
I expect the girl's mother to do something about it. African women have a lot of tricks up their sleeves and if a mother is determined to send her children to school, she will:
My grandfather wanted his children to be peasant farmers like him but my grandmother did menial jobs to earn money to send her son (my dad) to school. She did not do the same for her daughter, however. So who is to blame for her daughter not going to school, like her son? Remember, she did not have the support of her husband to educate any of the children.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 7:27pm On Nov 12, 2005
Seun:

I want the girl's mother to do something about it. African women have a lot of tricks up their sleeves and if a mother is determined to send her children to school, she will:

how? remember she also didn't go to school because her dad said she belong in a kitchen. how is she going to help her daughter get into school? become a prostitute to make the money if the father uses all his money on the son's education?

you're grandmother didn't do the same for her daughter because he father probably didn't send her to school and she wasn't educated to know that girls can go to school too. she has probably been forced to accepet the fact that only boys belong in school though what she sees, experience and ignorance. if she had known that girls could be doctors too she probably would have sent her girl to school.
also, usually girls get discriminated against thereby making it tougher for girls to make it to the top than boys.
she was probably trying to protect her girl. who knows.
my mom for example when i said i wanted to be a doctor told me "it's a guy's job". and i should be a pharmacist instead
girls aren't encouraged to be what they want to be.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Seun(m): 7:56pm On Nov 12, 2005
girls aren't encouraged to be what they want to be.

And whose fault is that? If your mother wanted to encourage you to be a doctor would your father had beaten her? I don't think so! And even if you're not encouraged to be a doctor, it is up to you to decide if your dream is worth pursuing no matter what. It is up to you to plan your life in such a way that your success will not lead to a lonely life. What the "society" says can only make it harder to achieve your goal; it usually does not make it impossible. It's not as if life is so rosy for men.

However, we are off-topic; I'll reorganize the thread son.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 8:20pm On Nov 12, 2005
did you read margaret walker's short essay "on being female black and free".
http://www.vcu.edu/engweb/eng384/walker.htm
it kind of prooves your point exactly. cheesy and i agree with it but do you think that every girl should go through all that?
even men would not!. some girls that are strong and determined will definitely overcome the societal pressures and there are other girls that wouldn't.

i think it should be just as easy for women as it is for men to choose careers and what not. without the thought that "if i become this i'll be treated like shit".
that's why my role model is ROSALIND FRANKLIN. you should learn about her. i wrote an essay about her for my summer science class.
she worked hard but some guys took her work and got credit for it while she got nothing till her death.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 2:19am On Nov 13, 2005
Now that I have a free microsecond...

[quote Author=WesleyanA]hahahha what are you saying. My school's policy? it happens in almost every school!
how do the sports become popular! through money and support. if the girls sports get support adn financial aid, they will be popular too. and that's my poing exactly!!!!![/quote]

I don't live in the US, so you mustn't assume I know about how schools operate there.

Really, I feel this is less of a gender issue than a popular sport issue. If you had told me that your school had decided to fund a men's unicycling team and not fund a women's unicycling team (even though there was no evidence of support of either sport), then I would have said that gender bias was at work here.

In my opinion, the only time when it is worth spending money on a promoting sport is where there is evidence of grassroots support of the sport, i.e. it has broad popular support amongst a particular community. Otherwise, you spend money on a sport that few people care about and few people turn up to watch and few people benefit from.

So perhaps your girls' soccer team should work on building up that grassroots support, and if you believe there is already that support, then get the supporters to petition your school - if there are many supporters writing in, surely the school will notice soon enough!

you hate women's soccer?

Now where did I say that?

just the same way i hate men's soccer!

I'm not fanatical about that either.

and it's the only one they play on tv. i hardly see women's soccer play! soccer is the same thing. why should you classify it as different just because of gender! see my point?

Well the evidence of soccer audiences indicate that men's soccer and women's soccer are not the same thing. I don't know why there are lower audiences and viewing figures for women soccer competitions, but that's just the way it is. I ask again: are you suggesting that people who love men's soccer should be forced to watch and support women's soccer games? And are you suggesting that commercial TV companies be made to show women's soccer which they have established is unpopular with their audiences, and lose money in the process?

My advice: if it bothers you that so few people are interested in women's soccer, why don't you launch a campaign to persuade (not force) them to get interested in it? Highlight the things that you think they will enjoy about it; promote these things everywhere and everytime, and who knows... one day, even you might get sick of the number of hours devoted to women's soccer. smiley

happiness to come at the expense of others? what do you mean? men deserve to be happier than men? there are as many women as men in this world okay. and it doesn't hurt to give them equal attention. when does 50/50 become "at the expense of others"?

Of course no group of people deserves to be happier than another group. My point was that by forcing (since I can't think of how else were suggesting this would be done) men soccer fans to support women's soccer, you would be making them avoidably unhappy. Why do this, when both men's soccer fans and women's soccer fans can be happy?

would you be happy if a boss told you you aren't going to be hired because a white male counterpart who has the same credentials as you applied and for the sake of getting along with him (because blacks have this steriotype of being "criminals" you'll be loosing the spot.

I wouldn't be happy about not getting a job... but I would be happy not to work in an organisation that didn't judge people on merit, and I would also be happy that I was free to continue my search for a place that would take me on merit.

if you were to be hired however, you'll have to get less money just because you're black!

If I was getting less money because I was black, then I would have to prove in my job that I was a valuable asset so that if I decided all of a sudden I wanted to leave because of pay issues, I would have no problem getting a pay rise.

PS It's quite sad that there are quite a few female scientists like Rosalind Franklin who didn't get the recognition they deserved (another one was Lise Meitner). You might want to choose some other female scientist who did get recognition for her work (like Admiral Grace Hopper, or Eve Curie) as a role model.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by WesleyanA(f): 3:08am On Nov 13, 2005
I don't live in the US, so you mustn't assume I know about how schools operate there.

there's more gender inequality in Nigeria than in the US just in case you didn't know that.

Really, I feel this is less of a gender issue than a popular sport issue. If you had told me that your school had decided to fund a men's unicycling team and not fund a women's unicycling team (even though there was no evidence of support of either sport), then I would have said that gender bias was at work here.

In my opinion, the only time when it is worth spending money on a promoting sport is where there is evidence of grassroots support of the sport, i.e. it has broad popular support amongst a particular community. Otherwise, you spend money on a sport that few people care about and few people turn up to watch and few people benefit from.

So perhaps your girls' soccer team should work on building up that grassroots support, and if you believe there is already that support, then get the supporters to petition your school - if there are many supporters writing in, surely the school will notice soon enough!

why are you elaborating on some anecdote i gave as an example of gender inequality like the topic was about soccer in the first place!
why should a boys sport have broader popular support (i mean very significantly broad) than girls'. It's not like we're talking about swimming and soccer not that would make sense but .. ."boys soccer" and "girls soccer".

and why should girls have to work hard and look for "supporters" and "petitions" or whatever when boys get all these automatically w/o raising a finger!
that's gender inequality there at work.

Now where did I say that?
where ever it was you said people who hate girls soccer shouldn't have to support it.
and right now i can't say you're supporting it so i'll have to assume you hate it!

I'm not fanatical about that either.
and do i look like i care?

Well the evidence of soccer audiences indicate that men's soccer and women's soccer are not the same thing. I don't know why there are lower audiences and viewing figures for women soccer competitions, but that's just the way it is.I ask again: are you suggesting that people who love men's soccer should be forced to watch and support women's soccer games? And are you suggesting that commercial TV companies be made to show women's soccer which they have established is unpopular with their audiences, and lose money in the process?

My advice: if it bothers you that so few people are interested in women's soccer, why don't you launch a campaign to persuade (not force) them to get interested in it? Highlight the things that you think they will enjoy about it; promote these things everywhere and everytime, and who knows... one day, even you might get sick of the number of hours devoted to women's soccer. smiley

First of all, you need to pinpoint to me exactly where i'm  asking forcing anyone to watch women's soccer. it's a choice that's influenced by a lot of things.

the only difference in boys and girls soccer is gender and support.

you don't know why there are lower figures viewing girls sports? that's easy -- they don't show women's sports!!! when talk to a kid about soccer what comes to mind is boys! because that's all they show on tv. boys soccer!. if they showed girls soccer on tv often there are people who watch it (other than you that is).
anybody that says "i love boys soccer than girls soccer because of gender" is a discriminator!!!
if you love men's soccer and you see girls soccer on tv (if they show it that is  rolleyes) you shouldn't say i'm not watching it because girls are playing. i'll call such a person a mysoginist.

maybe if the tv commercials do show women's soccer, it will gain more support.
most importantly if it were supported financially like men's soccer is.
not that you have to tell the girls (soccer players) to go and sign petitions and beg people to finance them while the other gender gets everything just because they are male.

Of course no group of people deserves to be happier than another group. My point was that by forcing (since I can't think of how else were suggesting this would be done) men soccer fans to support women's soccer, you would be making them avoidably unhappy. Why do this, when both men's soccer fans and women's soccer fans can be happy?

why can't one support men and women's soccer at the same time. we're talking of equality here. 50/50.
boys get stuff, girls get stuff too.
don't tell me men should be happy and girls shouldn't because they weren't happy in the first place. that's why there are feminists. to change the condition/norm!!!

I wouldn't be happy about not getting a job... but I would be happy not to work in an organisation that didn't judge people on merit, and I would also be happy that I was free to continue my search for a place that would take me on merit.

exactly  cheesy you wouldn't be happy about not getting the job!
and you wouldn't be happy about working in an organization that discriminates.  cheesy

what if i told you all the good jobs discriminated and you have to be a shoe polisher (nurse for women since that's the only job for them). to be taken by merit?
i'll wish you goodluck on your search. because that's what women face!!!

If I was getting less money because I was black, then I would have to prove in my job that I was a valuable asset so that if I decided all of a sudden I wanted to leave because of pay issues, I would have no problem getting a pay rise.

how would you proove? there are tons of other blacks like you looking for jobs without caring what they are paid because they don't have a choice. no one wants to hire them. if you decide to leave, there are always 100 people waiting to fill your position!  cheesy
do you think blacks didn't try that when they were being discriminated at? it never worked trust me!
it's only when the whites realize that they need to end discrimination that they made a big step. civil rights activists like malcolm x and martin luther did their share also. and who am i to forget ROSA PARKS! the woman who wouldn't let some stupid men tell her where to sit on a bus!!

PS It's quite sad that there are quite a few female scientists like Rosalind Franklin who didn't get the recognition they deserved (another one was Lise Meitner). You might want to choose some other female scientist who did get recognition for her work (like Admiral Grace Hopper, or Eve Curie) as a role model.

i choose to have ROSALIND FRANKLIN as my role model and i wouldn't care for your advice. I can't choose your role model and you can't choose mine!
you say few! i say LOTS! of women who don't get recognition.
Those people we mentioned (Rosa and Lise) got post humous recognition that's why we are able to name them today. you think we would even know who they are if they never got anything? NO. they got recognition after they died and that's not fair.

trust me there are countless of other women out there we don't recognize or know but they help keep this world together and are unknown to the world today unlike their male counterparts are. and i'm not only talking about women of the scientific field.

actually those females who did get recognition are few compared to those who didn't. take it or leave it.

read Rosa Franklin's biography well and see how she was discriminated against in her place of work! she cound't eat lunch with anybody because there was a separate place for men to eat and only her (she was the only woman) would stay alone.
they had a derogatory nick name for her too. that's just shameful!.

you also should be ashamed of yourself fighting against the feminist cause and them going later on to talk about people who are racists. they are no different from you!.
Re: Gender Inequality: Was Feminism Just a Fad? by Ka: 4:25am On Nov 13, 2005
why should a boys sport have broader popular support (i mean very significantly broad) than girls'. It's not like we're talking about swimming and soccer not that would make sense but .. ."boys soccer" and "girls soccer".

and why should girls have to work hard and look for "supporters" and "petitions" or whatever when boys get all these automatically w/o raising a finger!

that's gender inequality there at work.

Well, you have to work hard to overcome any disadvantage in life... the reality is that when soccer started, more men were playing it than women, so it has had more time to become popular and gain broader support. I maintain that it's pointless funding a sport that doesn't have support in the name of gender equality.

where ever it was you said people who hate girls soccer shouldn't have to support it. and right now i can't say you're supporting it so i'll have to assume you hate it!

So if I don't support something, then I hate it. I see.

you don't know why there are lower figures viewing girls sports? that's easy -- they don't show women's sports!!! when talk to a kid about soccer what comes to mind is boys! because that's all they show on tv. boys soccer!. if they showed girls soccer on tv often there are people who watch it (other than you that is).

And this is the fundamental disagreement between us. You think that most important factor in getting people to take an interest in a sport is showing more of it. On the other hand, I believe that this is not as important, and even if it were, it is unrealistic to expect commercial stations to show something that isn't guaranteed to make them any money in the short to medium term.

anybody that says "i love boys soccer than girls soccer because of gender" is a discriminator!!!

Well, everybody discriminates. For me, the problem is when the discrimination leads directly and unavoidably to a very significant drop in the quality of life of another human being. On the other hand, if I happen to prefer being treated by female nurses than male nurses, that's very acceptable, as nobody is being put at a significant disadvantage as a result of my preference.

if you love men's soccer and you see girls soccer on tv (if they show it that is  ) you shouldn't say i'm not watching it because girls are playing. i'll call such a person a mysoginist.

Now I laughed when I read that.

maybe if the tv commercials do show women's soccer, it will gain more support.

most importantly if it were supported financially like men's soccer is.
So who should do the supporting? The government? Does the government support men's soccer?

why can't one support men and women's soccer at the same time. we're talking of equality here. 50/50.

boys get stuff, girls get stuff too.

When you say 'why can't one support', who exactly are you referring to here?

don't tell me men should be happy and girls shouldn't because they weren't happy in the first place. that's why there are feminists. to change the condition/norm!!!

Exactly. And I'm saying that in changing the condition, they should be looking out for a win-win situation, where everyone is happy, or at least where nobody is unhappy.

exactly you wouldn't be happy about not getting the job!

and you wouldn't be happy about working in an organization that discriminates.

Yeah, but I wouldn't get stuck on it. I'd move on and look for something else...

what if i told you all the good jobs discriminated and you have to be a shoe polisher (nurse for women since that's the only job for them). to be taken by merit?

i'll wish you goodluck on your search. because that's what women face!!!

I agree that is it much more difficult for women to get good jobs than men. But let me ask you - how would you go about correcting the situation?

how would you proove? there are tons of other blacks like you looking for jobs without caring what they are paid because they don't have a choice. no one wants to hire them. if you decide to leave, there are always 100 people waiting to fill your position!
do you think blacks didn't try that when they were being discriminated at? it never worked trust me!
it's only when the whites realize that they need to end discrimination that they made a big step. civil rights activists like malcolm x and martin luther did their share also. and who am i to forget ROSA PARKS! the woman who wouldn't let some stupid men tell her where to sit on a bus!!

I could respond to this, but I'm going to let it slide because it would take this thread off topic.

i choose to have ROSALIND FRANKLIN as my role model and i wouldn't care for your advice.

That's why it's advice - you're not compelled to take it.

...you also should be ashamed of yourself fighting against the feminist cause and them going later on to talk about people who are racists. they are no different from you!

I'm very mystified at your tendency to attribute to me things that I haven't said. Are you sure you're reading this thread and not some other thread elsewhere? 

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Savage Responses That Will Make Your Day / 10,000# Each To 3 Nairalanders From This Section / Fuel Scarcity Looms Over Delayed Subsidy Payments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.