Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,894 members, 7,824,745 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine (25677 Views)

Skye Bank Takes Over Obat Oil Over N1.5bn Debt / BREAKING: MTN Group CEO Forced To Resign Over N1.04trn Fine / MTN Gets Nov. 16 Deadline To Pay N1.04tn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ephi123(f): 10:35am On Nov 09, 2015
oribi:

YOUR INTELLIGENT AND I APPRECIATE YOU

Thank you. I see your point and appreciate your views even if different from mine.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by oribi(m): 10:35am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

Yes.
If you have any other information we the public don't know, please disclose.

WELL I DON'T BUT TRY AND BE OBJECTIVE IN YOUR VIEWS THANK YOU
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by oribi(m): 10:36am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

Thank you. I see your point and appreciate your views even if different from mine.

YOUR WELCOME HAHA WE CAN'T ALWAYS SEE THINGS FROM SAME ANGLE
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mployer(m): 10:42am On Nov 09, 2015
Pavore9:
MTN ooooooooo! cheesy cheesy cheesy They were so used to forming 'Oloye' until dem jam the new DPO! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Moral of the story.........Nigeria is no longer the disorganized playground for corporate miscreants!

Keep treating your foreign investors like this and expect more people to come and invest.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mildflame: 10:45am On Nov 09, 2015
Adesiji77:

http://punchng.com/2015/11/5339 lalasticlala, dominique, davide470
SWEET NEWS now waiting 4d USELESS company to go "Public" in 9JA
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by chilan: 10:46am On Nov 09, 2015
To get the dubious seller refund you the money you spent in buying the useless fake memory cards, pls contact www.excellawchambers.com or call 08035533560
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by chilan: 10:48am On Nov 09, 2015
Brandnew2:
Heads are rolling I guess.

Meanwhile Standards organization of Nigerian SON should look into this menace of substandard tech accessories being sold in the market. http://gidilink..com.ng/2015/11/all-this-fake-memory-cards.html

Below is a 2 and 8 GB memory card that got corrupted within 1 week while i lost sensitive information on it.

So painful. angry

To get the dubious seller refund you the money you spent in buying the useless fake memory cards, pls contact www.excellawchambers.com or call 08035533560
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by MYMINDER(m): 10:48am On Nov 09, 2015
mbulela:

Dude, we are not North Korea. We are an organised country within a globalized community.
What sort of hate will induce such draconian rules?
Being the 7th most populous country does not give us a right to operate outside the ambit of the law.

Make points with logic and not emotion.

Was the fine computation known before now to all telecommunications providers? Yes! Did MTN violate? Yes! Should MTN pay the fine (that the penalty was known way in advance of transgression?) Yes!

SA did not approve any license for any Nigerian bank. Is that not Draconian? Nigerian banks moved on and life continued.

The 5.2m active subscribers that had unregistered sim cards on the MTN network is too much!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mildflame: 10:53am On Nov 09, 2015
MYMINDER:

Was the fine computation known before now to all telecommunications providers? Yes! Did MTN violate? Yes! Should MTN pay the fine (that the penalty was known way in advance of transgression?) Yes!

SA did not approve any license for any Nigerian bank. Is that not Draconian? Nigerian banks moved on and life continued.

The 5.2m active subscribers that had unregistered sim cards on the MTN network is too much!
They kicked out FIRSTBANK, frustrated UBA n celebrated the withdrawal of THISDAY, GOD PUNISH dem waiting for DSTV, SHOPRITE n co.
That's why I hate anything South African

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by supereagle(m): 10:55am On Nov 09, 2015
He did the right thing
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Kollyman: 10:55am On Nov 09, 2015
This guy that resigned is the group chairman/CEO seated in south africa.

Wount the MTN Nigeria CEO resign too? After all, all these issues happened under his supervision.

Ops! Nigerian no dey give up easily.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by cirmuell(m): 11:01am On Nov 09, 2015
QatarPlayboy:
I hope the whole of mtn as a company would follow their ceo footstep and resign also. Just like those Biafra insects, mtn can go to not just hell bt the deepest and hottest part of it if they wish.
True talk, there are better alternatives. No one and nothing is indispensable. cool

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 09, 2015
cirmuell:
True talk, their are better alternatives. No one and nothing is indispensable. cool
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mbulela: 11:11am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

So for the sake of a few, we should give MTN a pass right?
I don't understand this sympathy towards MTN, when South Africans were attacking Nigerians barely how many months ago, did South Africans show any sympathy to Nigeria?

Please let us stick to the game. MTN broke the rules and should pay the price end of story.

How is this related to the issue at hand?
I struggle to understand the hatred for MTN.
What have they done to attract this hatred?

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mbulela: 11:13am On Nov 09, 2015
mildflame:

They kicked out FIRSTBANK, frustrated UBA n celebrated the withdrawal of THISDAY, GOD PUNISH dem waiting for DSTV, SHOPRITE n co.
That's why I hate anything South African

Slightly bigoted view.
Kindly explain how they kicked out and frustrated UBA.
The only people I know who celebrated THISDAY withdrawal were its competitors and that happens everywhere.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ephi123(f): 11:16am On Nov 09, 2015
mbulela:

How is this related to the issue at hand?
I struggle to understand the hatred for MTN.
What have they done to attract this hatred?

And what does a fine have to do with hatred for MTN? They broke the rules, they should pay up. Simple!
After all if they had kept the rules no one would be breathing down their neck.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ephi123(f): 11:19am On Nov 09, 2015
MYMINDER:

Thank you. I don't under the sentimentalism being displayed on this thread. MTN should PAY UP. End of story. If they had not broken the rules which as you rightly pointed out they KNEW IN ADVANCE no one would be hounding them.
Era of companies doing what they like in Nigeria and getting away with it has to end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 11:23am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

MTN is not here to help anyone, they are here to make money simple.
Other points you made I agree with, particularly the quality of service and rates.
In that case, you don't know how it all started. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo literally begged Vodacom to come and do business in Nigeria and they told him straight to his face that Nigeria couldn't afford telephone among other bad things they said about Nigeria. He met other companies also and they declined. MTN agreed to do what others considered impossible and did it. After they had succeeded and reported huge profits (good or bad) others started coming. So to me, they came to help. That's why I so much love MTN's latest advert on TV ( when they said it was impossible we were there, when no one gave them a chance we were there.......and finally they wrapped it up by saying at MTN we believe that Nigeria's future holds even more promise than our past). My God, that is love for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 11:26am On Nov 09, 2015
oribi:

YOUR JUST TOO INTELLIGENT NOT TO BE QUOTED
Thank you.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mbulela: 11:26am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

And what does a fine have to do with hatred for MTN? They broke the rules, they should pay up. Simple!
you did not follow my argument.
My views on the fine is well documented here.
I am simply addressing the hate for MTN being justified because of xenophobic attacks in SA.

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ephi123(f): 11:29am On Nov 09, 2015
donhils:

In that case, you don't know how it all started. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo literally begged Vodacom to come and do business in Nigeria and they told him straight to his face that Nigeria couldn't afford telephone. He met other companies also and they declined. MTN agreed to do what others considered impossible and did it. After they had succeeded and reported huge profits (good or bad) others started coming. So to me, they came to help. That's why I so much love MTN's latest advert on TV ( when they said it was impossible we were there, when no one gave them a chance we were there.......and finally they wrapped it up by saying at MTN we believe that Nigeria's future holds even more promise than our past). My God, that is love for Nigeria.

So has MTN been giving subscribers free calls, data and text? NO
Has MTN been making money for as long as they've been in Nigeria? YES

MTN would never have come to Nigeria or even stayed after they did if they wouldn't make SIGNIFICANT PROFIT. It is a business and the purpose is to make profit, any other reason is by the side. Companies have existed and done business in worse terrains as long as they are making a profit so please MTN did not help anyone.

The Advertising manager must be doing a great job for their adverts to appeal to emotions but advert or no advert, MTN is a profit-making venture which flouted rules it was aware of, basically showing disdain for its host country and that should not be tolerated.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ephi123(f): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2015
mbulela:

you did not follow my argument.
My views on the fine is well documented here.
I am simply addressing the hate for MTN being justified because of xenophobic attacks in SA.

The fine is justified because they broke the rule and not for any other reason.

My point about the xenophobic attacks is that Nigerians should not be sympathetic or emotional about this fine because if South African were in Nigeria's shoes, they would not. Let us all stick by the rules. Eod.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 11:35am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

So has MTN been giving subscribers free calls, data and text? NO
Has MTN been making money for as long as they've been in Nigeria? YES

MTN would never have come to Nigeria or even stayed after they did if they wouldn't make SIGNIFICANT PROFIT. It is a business and the purpose is to make profit, any other reason is by the side. Companies have existed and done business in worse terrains as long as they are making a profit so please MTN did not help anyone.

The Advertising manager must be doing a great job for their adverts to appeal to emotions but advert or no advert, MTN is a profit-making venture which flouted rules it was aware of, basically showing disdain for its host country and that should not be tolerated.
They can't be giving you free everything. If you own a shop for instance, do you go there and take things for free anytime you like? Do you start giving out your stocks to your street people? Every business should make profit in other to survive. When others didn't see the potentials, they did. You should give them credit for that. It takes only a man of faith to sow without watching the winds.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by str8talk1: 11:37am On Nov 09, 2015
Frankly,i detest d way mtn r treating d Nigerian customers both in terms of service,office structures which falls below average wrt d Nigerian mkt which is d highest for mtn and refusal to offer IPO to d Nigerian populace while at d same time offering thesame IPO to the South African pple. Sic.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 11:38am On Nov 09, 2015
godspeed:

You see, comments like this make u very unpopular.

Nigerians always think with their emotions.

I have keenly followed this story since MTN was slammed with that gargantuan fine and the reactions of most Nigerians to it has left me bitterly disappointed. Like u rightly asked; why do we hate MTN this much?

We seem to have forgotten in a hurry the efforts former president obasanjo made to lure foreign investors to Nigeria during his first term. He was globe trotting and practically begging these investors to come to Nigeria.

Now we seem to have what we want and we are very comfortable to the extent that we have become very hostile to these same companies we begged to come here.

When did we suddenly get this feeling of entitlement? Imagine people saying that 'most of this foreign coys were willfully taking Nigeria for a ride because no one had in the past demonstrated the political will to protect the interest of Nigeria'(kx above). Let me ask you; where were we before MTN came in? And how do our own companies treat us?

We seem to have forgotten the days of NITEL in a hurry. Tell me what kind of services were we enjoying then? What could we or did we do to them? How much did NCC ever fine NITEL then for poor services or for being in violation? When exactly did we start getting this feeling of entitlement?

If we are talking about companies taking Nigerians for a ride, tell me which company does that more than our very own PHCN or whatever they are called now. Tomorrow if a foreign firm buys PHCN and we have power cut for just 1 hour I we'll begin to castigate them.

I will not join the debate whether MTN needs Nigeria more than Nigeria needs her. But every responsible country of the world always do whatever is within their power to ensure that corporate organizations thrive. These companies create the wealth of nations.

The fine on MTN is ridiculous, even if MTN is in violation and are supposed to be fined,NCC should have put a cap on the fine to be paid and not an impossible amount that will practically put MTN out of business.

To put the fine in perspective, 1 trillion is one quarter of our current budget, it's more than the budget of some 20 states in Nigeria put together and its more than double the annual turnover of MTN Nigeria.

Nigeria please let reason prevail
Glad you also share my views and have even more insight. We'll say the truth always, whether it's popular or not.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 11:41am On Nov 09, 2015
mbulela:

You have made very valid points but I also think you have muddled issues here.

NCC has been complacent, then suddenly they decide to act and you blame them for not cleaning there house before acting.
Secondly, NCC did not just cook up the fine. It was in the MOU that the regulator signed with the operators at the time they decided to do SIM registration (an activity that I think the last NCC administration used for fraudulent purposes but that is a discussion for another day). The fine was clearly stated in the rules and regulation all parties signed. I think MTN thought NCC will remain docile as they had always been and would have willingly signed for a fine of a million rands for each non-disconnected SIM.

I also believe that MTN is the best all round network.

I also do not agree with Nigerians who are rejoicing over this episode. It smells of xenophobia. MTN have largely operated within the law. It is the law enforcers who have been docile. MTN has been a good organization for the harnessing of talents in the telco industry. Nigerians have been treated fairly (as i understand it) and are assuming leadership roles across all operations of the company.

While I think NCC has to step up, I struggle to find fault in their application of an agreed rule in this particular issue.
Well, I don't know much about the MOU. Justice should be tempered with mercy because the merciful shall obtain mercy.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 11:47am On Nov 09, 2015
ephi123:

Do you know you shouldn't be talking mainly about mtn breaking rules. If you are given a stone to throw first if you haven't ever broken any rule before, would you? Have you kept all the comments of God? Cos to me you don't seem to have kept the part that says love your neighbor as thyself.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ephi123(f): 11:52am On Nov 09, 2015
donhils:

Do you know you shouldn't be talking mainly about mtn breaking rules. If you are given a stone to throw first if you haven't ever broken any rule before, would you? Have you kept all the comments of God? Cos to me you don't seem to have kept the part that says love your neighbor as thyself.

In that case we shouldn't even bother having rules at all since no human can keep God's commandments.
Any company can do whatever it likes however it likes whenever it likes with no repercussion.
Great. Absolutely great.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by 400billionman: 11:56am On Nov 09, 2015
This is where people take responsibilty for their actions.

Nigerian leaders need to learn from this.

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by sebod(m): 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
donhils:

Lots of comments here and there!
I like the part tht says love your neighbour as thy self and not more than yourself.
A message was sent to me about caller tune which I have not even checked, the next minute, another was sent claiming that I have been automatically subscribed for a caller tune and my airtime deducted. I did not even get to know Until I wanted to make an urgent call and discovered I was out of airtime. I placed a call to their call centre and the guy told me once a text was sent to me about it, they were justified to deduct my credit. And I got to know that's how they have been charging me for what I never asked for. How can I then love someone that does not evencare for me? I have been using Mtn line since 2003 and I must say they are full of cheats. How can I then love them?
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by khalids: 12:56pm On Nov 09, 2015
Hello Pips, Ever since Linda Ikeji showed us the benefits of her blogging, everyone I know now wants to open a blog.
Na wa for people with copy and paste mentality.

Anyways this fellow in my office open his own "Block" (this is no error or typo) grin.
I don tell the guy make him learn to spell first before opening any blog.

Anyways see the blog link below feel free to bash him or encourage him (all na traffic)

http://davisonplat..com.ng/

You might also get some good sports prediction for all you sports betting lovers. Note, me don loose over 3k on this bros prediction ooo cry
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mildflame: 12:58pm On Nov 09, 2015
mbulela:

Slightly bigoted view.
Kindly explain how they kicked out and frustrated UBA.
The only people I know who celebrated THISDAY withdrawal were its competitors and that happens everywhere.
Competitors celebrated THISDAY?hmmm
No comment on FIRSTBANK, why?hmmm
I shud kindly explain how UBA was kicked out n frustrated? JAMB + WAEC question

Ogbeni UBA was FRUSTRATED out, ordinary approval licence for a REPRESENTATIVE didn't see d light of d day.
U sound PAINED in the ARSE over d FINE, U name sound SOUTH AFRICAN hope not coz I don't wanna PUKE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Allen Onyema And Egahaga Should Resign During The Fraud Trial To Save Air Peace / We Are Still Receiving Old Notes - EcoBank / Bet9ja Virtual Soccer Cheat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.