Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:17 AM

MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine (25879 Views)

Skye Bank Takes Over Obat Oil Over N1.5bn Debt / BREAKING: MTN Group CEO Forced To Resign Over N1.04trn Fine / MTN Gets Nov. 16 Deadline To Pay N1.04tn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by kokoA(m): 1:01pm On Nov 09, 2015
donhils:
Since the announcement of this fine on MTN, many Nigerians have rejoiced and danced over it. But set prejudice aside, what wrong has MTN really done to anybody? I'll answer that, None. MTN is and will still remain the all round best network provider here in Nigeria until Glo that is supposed to be the leader (having that indigenous edge) steps up to the responsibility. So why all the hates? Let's talk about NCC for a bit, what exactly were they thinking slamming such huge amounts on a company that's here to help? Has NCC lived up to its responsibilities? All networks being nuisance to the customers thru unsolicited texts and calls, stealing from the unsuspecting public. Have they moved to stop all these nonsense? What is NCC doing to improve the quality of services? Have they looked into the exorbitant rates of data in the industry? What have they done to better the lives of Nigerians? After MTN have paid 1.4trillion, then what next? What is the spirit behind this fine? And Nigeirans are rejoicing.
Gerara here.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Adesiji77: 1:08pm On Nov 09, 2015
Setaje:
Please is there a way anybody can alert the government about Dstv. Their monopoly and bullshit must stop.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by rman: 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2015
donhils:
Since the announcement of this fine on MTN, many Nigerians have rejoiced and danced over it. But set prejudice aside, what wrong has MTN really done to anybody? I'll answer that, None. MTN is and will still remain the all round best network provider here in Nigeria until Glo that is supposed to be the leader (having that indigenous edge) steps up to the responsibility. So why all the hates? Let's talk about NCC for a bit, what exactly were they thinking slamming such huge amounts on a company that's here to help? Has NCC lived up to its responsibilities? All networks being nuisance to the customers thru unsolicited texts and calls, stealing from the unsuspecting public. Have they moved to stop all these nonsense? What is NCC doing to improve the quality of services? Have they looked into the exorbitant rates of data in the industry? What have they done to better the lives of Nigerians? After MTN have paid 1.4trillion, then what next? What is the spirit behind this fine? And Nigeirans are rejoicing.

The Emotional intelligence and IQ of majority of Nigerians are too low. They will never agree with you.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by rman: 1:20pm On Nov 09, 2015
godspeed:

You see, comments like this make u very unpopular.

Nigerians always think with their emotions.

I have keenly followed this story since MTN was slammed with that gargantuan fine and the reactions of most Nigerians to it has left me bitterly disappointed. Like u rightly asked; why do we hate MTN this much?

We seem to have forgotten in a hurry the efforts former president obasanjo made to lure foreign investors to Nigeria during his first term. He was globe trotting and practically begging these investors to come to Nigeria.

Now we seem to have what we want and we are very comfortable to the extent that we have become very hostile to these same companies we begged to come here.

When did we suddenly get this feeling of entitlement? Imagine people saying that 'most of this foreign coys were willfully taking Nigeria for a ride because no one had in the past demonstrated the political will to protect the interest of Nigeria'(kx above). Let me ask you; where were we before MTN came in? And how do our own companies treat us?

We seem to have forgotten the days of NITEL in a hurry. Tell me what kind of services were we enjoying then? What could we or did we do to them? How much did NCC ever fine NITEL then for poor services or for being in violation? When exactly did we start getting this feeling of entitlement?

If we are talking about companies taking Nigerians for a ride, tell me which company does that more than our very own PHCN or whatever they are called now. Tomorrow if a foreign firm buys PHCN and we have power cut for just 1 hour I we'll begin to castigate them.

I will not join the debate whether MTN needs Nigeria more than Nigeria needs her. But every responsible country of the world always do whatever is within their power to ensure that corporate organizations thrive. These companies create the wealth of nations.

The fine on MTN is ridiculous, even if MTN is in violation and are supposed to be fined,NCC should have put a cap on the fine to be paid and not an impossible amount that will practically put MTN out of business.

To put the fine in perspective, 1 trillion is one quarter of our current budget, it's more than the budget of some 20 states in Nigeria put together and its more than double the annual turnover of MTN Nigeria.

Nigeria please let reason prevail

You indeed very wise. Majority of Nigerians have a false sense of importance and entitlement. See them calling for DSTV too. What have these companies done to them? Nothing. Just herd mentality....they can't reason on their own. Even the so called DsTv promoted Nolllywood when they lost the soccer right. Dstv has bouqet of 1600...but Nigerians want premium bouquet for nothing. They want to call for nothing. That's why they damage transformers and put neighborhood in darkness.

We are not really interested in development but our pockets. Yes MTN should pay the fine but is your fine reasonable? That is bottom line which they all have refused to think about.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 1:30pm On Nov 09, 2015
kokoA:
Gerara here.
Very funny.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by 4C2215131: 1:59pm On Nov 09, 2015
Knew heads will roll. It's all good though. If it were a Nigerian, he'd fight tooth and nail to remain on seat shamelessly.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Adesiji77: 2:05pm On Nov 09, 2015
MYMINDER:

Make points with logic and not emotion.

Was the fine computation known before now to all telecommunications providers? Yes! Did MTN violate? Yes! Should MTN pay the fine (that the penalty was known way in advance of transgression?) Yes!

SA did not approve any license for any Nigerian bank. Is that not Draconian? Nigerian banks moved on and life continued.

The 5.2m active subscribers that had unregistered sim cards on the MTN network is too much!

God bless you for this comment which to me is an objective assessment of the matter.

I don't know why people are being unnecessarily sentimental about the issue.

Cc: rman, donhils, godspeed
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Pidggin(f): 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2015
This is crazy, government should leave MTN alone, if only for the sake of the number of Nigerians on their payroll. The one trillion naira fine if they pay, will not benefit any ordinary Nigerian, as usual it will be embezzled and put in foreign accounts.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by lomprico(m): 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
Brandnew2:

I paid the usual price.
I believe they sell the fake and original ones at the same price.
What is d usual price?
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
lomprico:

What is d usual price?

Bro, the price doesn't matter.
What matters now is distinguishing between the original and fake.
It is also important that substandard products are taken off the market because it's counter productive.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 09, 2015
Meanwhile, the Nigerian head still hold on to e job kampe!!
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Lakeland4321: 6:07pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lilimax:
This is a very good time to buy MTN's share embarassed
Not yet, it will still go down further
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Winneygirl(f): 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
Fact is, when a company falls into financial crisis, the employees would suffer.
When they pay the fine, and are unable to keep up with staff costs, massive loss of jobs will follow.
Who are the majority of the employees of MTN Nigeria? Nigerians!!
Is the economy in favour of the unemployed? No!
Some say that there are just too many unemployed youths in the labour market.
Wait and see when MTN lays of a high number of staff in almost every state of the country...

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by 14(m): 9:55pm On Nov 09, 2015
Winneygirl:
Fact is, when a company falls into financial crisis, the employees would suffer.
When they pay the fine, and are unable to keep up with staff costs, massive loss of jobs will follow.
Wait and see when MTN lays of a high number of staff in almost every state of the country...
o

You know your story. many peple here think if MTN leave nigeria, it would be the end of mtn. Little do they know that MTN has 170m subscribers outside of nigeria. so they would stil be printing money regardless.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by 14(m): 9:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
Winneygirl:
o

You know your story. many people here think if MTN leave nigeria, it would be the end of mtn. Little do they know that MTN has 170m subscribers outside of nigeria. so they would stil be printing money regardless.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by 400billionman: 12:46am On Nov 10, 2015
MYMINDER:

MTN needs Nigeria more than Nigeria needs them. It is simple. Keep your $5.2B and lose your operating licence. I assure you that losing the Nigeria market is worth a lot more and MTN will rather pay than leave. Nigeria is the 7th most populous nation in the world. It's not a market to be overlooked even if you want to. Everything has a beginning and end in life, including impunity. MTN realised too late.

They shot themselves by signing an agreement with NCC but failed in execution. Anyway one looks at it, MTN is guilty because the sanctions were well spelt out and agreed upon.

But i dont agree with those rejoicing over the fine.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by AdeniyiA(m): 8:46am On Nov 10, 2015
malton:
Seems even MTN has more credibility than the Nigerian leadership. Our leaders are power drunk. They will rather they go down the drain than resign their "rightful inheritance" over any controversy, no matter how grave the allegations are.

e. g B. Sa**ki

lipsrsealed
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by AprokoMan: 12:26pm On Nov 26, 2015
Demdem:
I am bastard son of a rotten kunt from the South West. i have an oblong head and terrible tribal marks on each side of my cheeks.
I also believe that FFK smashed my mom's toto before the coward my father had any chance. my father was not just a coward but an idiot, for allowing my uncles to fvck my sisters.
may thunder fire my parents

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Was Black Friday Worth All The Hype? / Businesses You Can Start With Little Or No Money / FG Mulls Unified Naira Exchange Rate Regime

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.