Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. (1375 Views)

Saraki’s False Asset Declaration Trial Begins Today / Saraki’s CCT Trial Begins March 10 / Dasuki’s Trial Begins Tuesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 4:28pm On May 14, 2009
Trial begins for alleged killer of ‘witches’
By Iniobong Ekponta Published Today News Rating: Unrated

•[b]Bishop Williams, his brother and the alleged ‘witches’ photo: Inibong Ekponta A suspect arrested in connection with the Akwa Ibom child-witch saga, is expected to go on trial today at the Uyo High Court.

The Commissioner for Justice, Chief Victor Iyanam, has presented a compendium of what constitutes children’s rights and punishment to the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Youths Development, Mrs. Eunice Thomas.

Speaking to The Nation in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, Iyanam said the principal suspect, Bishop Sunday Okon Williams, a suspected fake spiritualist alleged to have killed no fewer than 110 children in the process of exorcising the spirit of witchcraft from them, would go on trial today.

Williams, popularly called Ulup Aya, which translates into "There is nothing under the sun that I cannot do" in the native Mbo dialect, was arrested November 29, last year in Orukim Village in Mbo Local Government Area of the State.

Williams, who owns a Spiritual Healing Home in Ibaka village, was arrested with his brother and two children, whom he claimed were brought for spiritual cleansing by their mother.

His arrest followed the interview he granted the international wire services- United Kingdom-based Channel 4 on November 12, last year in which he claimed to have killed 110 children possessed by the spirit of witchcraft.

But the suspect, who was paraded before reporters at State Police Command Headquarters at the Ikot Akpanabia in December, denied the allegation.

He said:

"I did not say in the interview that I killed 110 children. What I said was that I only removed the spirit of witchcraft in them".

Ulup Aya, who confessed to being a former-convict of a similar crime, charges between N.2million and N.4million; depending on the gravity of the problem.

Last year, Akwa Ibom State became a centre of international odium when the interview was aired, forcing outrage from Akwa Ibomites in Nigeria and the Diaspora.

The British Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)- Stepping Stone International–working in collaboration with the Child Rights Advocacy Centre in Eket, where the stigmatised children are kept for rehabilitation, led 150 suspected child witches in a mass protest to Governor Godswill Akpabio at the Government House, Uyo.

Armed with a 400-page petition, the leader of the NGO, Mr. Garry Foxcroft, said: "A situation where children are burnt to death, buried alive, matcheted to death or made to rot away in the evil forest is unacceptable in the 21st century".

Foxcroft, who also led the children to the House of Assembly, appealed to Akpabio to facilitate the domestication of the Child Rights Act in the statutes book.

Akpabio swung into action, urging the commissioners of Information, Aniekan Umana; Health, Luisa Ukpe and Women Affairs, Eunice Thomas, to ensure rehabilitation of the children, who are now camped at CRARN centre in Eket.

Besides, he facilitated the passage of the Child Rights Bill, which he has signed into law and empowered law enforcement agencies to clampdown on fake pastors, spiritualists and healing homes.

To safeguard the rights of children, Akwa Ibomites in the diaspora- Mboho Ndito Akwa Ibom in Ireland and United Kingdom– is organising the first children conference in London on May 30. [/b]

http://thenationonlineng.net/web/articles/3497/1/Trial-begins-for-alleged-killer-of-witches/Page1.html
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 4:46pm On May 14, 2009
*jona:

Trial begins for alleged killer of ‘witches’
By Iniobong Ekponta Published Today News Rating: Unrated

•[b]Bishop Williams, his brother and the alleged ‘witches’ photo: Inibong Ekponta A suspect arrested in connection with the Akwa Ibom child-witch saga, is expected to go on trial today at the Uyo High Court.

The Commissioner for Justice, Chief Victor Iyanam, has presented a compendium of what constitutes children’s rights and punishment to the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Youths Development, Mrs. Eunice Thomas.

Speaking to The Nation in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, Iyanam said the principal suspect, Bishop Sunday Okon Williams, a suspected fake spiritualist alleged to have killed no fewer than 110 children in the process of exorcising the spirit of witchcraft from them, would go on trial today.

Williams, popularly called Ulup Aya, which translates into "There is nothing under the sun that I cannot do" in the native Mbo dialect, was arrested November 29, last year in Orukim Village in Mbo Local Government Area of the State.

Williams, who owns a Spiritual Healing Home in Ibaka village, was arrested with his brother and two children, whom he claimed were brought for spiritual cleansing by their mother.

His arrest followed the interview he granted the international wire services- United Kingdom-based Channel 4 on November 12, last year in which he claimed to have killed 110 children possessed by the spirit of witchcraft.

But the suspect, who was paraded before reporters at State Police Command Headquarters at the Ikot Akpanabia in December, denied the allegation.

He said:

"I did not say in the interview that I killed 110 children. What I said was that I only removed the spirit of witchcraft in them".

Ulup Aya, who confessed to being a former-convict of a similar crime, charges between N.2million and N.4million; depending on the gravity of the problem.

Last year, Akwa Ibom State became a centre of international odium when the interview was aired, forcing outrage from Akwa Ibomites in Nigeria and the Diaspora.

The British Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)- Stepping Stone International–working in collaboration with the Child Rights Advocacy Centre in Eket, where the stigmatised children are kept for rehabilitation, led 150 suspected child witches in a mass protest to Governor Godswill Akpabio at the Government House, Uyo.

Armed with a 400-page petition, the leader of the NGO, Mr. Garry Foxcroft, said: "A situation where children are burnt to death, buried alive, matcheted to death or made to rot away in the evil forest is unacceptable in the 21st century".

Foxcroft, who also led the children to the House of Assembly, appealed to Akpabio to facilitate the domestication of the Child Rights Act in the statutes book.

Akpabio swung into action, urging the commissioners of Information, Aniekan Umana; Health, Luisa Ukpe and Women Affairs, Eunice Thomas, to ensure rehabilitation of the children, who are now camped at CRARN centre in Eket.

Besides, he facilitated the passage of the Child Rights Bill, which he has signed into law and empowered law enforcement agencies to clampdown on fake pastors, spiritualists and healing homes.

To safeguard the rights of children, Akwa Ibomites in the diaspora- Mboho Ndito Akwa Ibom in Ireland and United Kingdom– is organising the first children conference in London on May 30. [/b]

http://thenationonlineng.net/web/articles/3497/1/Trial-begins-for-alleged-killer-of-witches/Page1.html
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 5:10pm On May 14, 2009
jamece you people sabi fly. shocked grin
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by Phemzy(m): 5:25pm On May 14, 2009
I fear for them
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 5:27pm On May 14, 2009
Phemzy:

I fear for them

sad
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by redsun(m): 6:19pm On May 14, 2009
I hope they lock up the culprits in metal institutions indefinitely,prolific child molesters and abusers.
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 6:41pm On May 14, 2009
redsun:

I hope they lock up the culprits in metal institutions indefinitely,prolific child molesters and abusers.
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jamace(m): 6:48pm On May 14, 2009
jamece you people sabi fly.

So, *jona is not dumb afterall? shocked shocked
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 6:54pm On May 14, 2009
jamace:

is jamace one of those Akwa ibom winches ? one of those pastors on youtube claimed about two million winches in Akwa ibom,the video is on youtube,type African winches akwa ibom will come up.

Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by Badriyyah(f): 6:56pm On May 14, 2009
Finally!!! Hope he gets what he deserves!!! angry
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 7:14pm On May 14, 2009
Badriyyah:

Finally!!! Hope he gets what he deserves!!! angry
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by jona2: 7:32pm On May 14, 2009
Re: Trial Begins For Alleged Killer Of ‘witches’ In Akwa Ibom. by texazzpete(m): 10:29pm On May 14, 2009
I am willing to sponsor his execution if they'd let me.
Thank God we're getting somewhere. The next logical step is to rope in Helen Ukpabio (another evil one) and punish her accordingly for doing great harm to hundreds of children and families.

(1) (Reply)

Abia: Power Play Delays New Cabinet / Boko Haram Targets Lagos, Delta, Others / Jos Church Attacker: Suicide Bomber Cocin Member- Defence Hq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.