Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs (2175 Views)

Unremitted N450bn: EFCC To Grill Jonathan’s Ex-ministers, Perm Secs / FJSC Recommends Justice Onnoghen For Appointment As CJN / Sex For Appointment Scandal Rocks Presidency - Naij.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by kahal29: 5:40am On Nov 11, 2015
Ahead of today’s inauguration of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) where ministers will be sworn-in, President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday approved the appointment of 18 new permanent secretaries in the Federal Civil Service, some of whom were recruited from the private sector signaling a departure from the past when directors in the civil service were promoted to the post of permanent secretaries.

Key among the appointments included Mr. Louis Edozien and Dr. Mahmoud Isa-Dutse, two professionals with proven track records in the private sector before venturing into the public sector.

Edozien, who was deployed to the Federal Ministry of Power, was before his appointment the Executive Director, Engineering & Technical of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC), where he was responsible for the technical and project management of the federal government’s $8 billion investment in the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPPs).

Armed with a combined Mathematics and Social Studies Bachelor’s degree from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and a Master’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in California, USA, Edozie has also variously worked as a consultant to the Africa Finance Corporation (AFC) and World Bank, for MTN and United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, and as an instructor at the Digital Bridge Institute, Abuja.

Isa-Dutse, on the other hand, was appointed the new perm sec for the Federal Ministry of Finance.
He brings to the table over 20 years banking experience, having worked from UBA from which he retired as an executive director in 2002, Savannah Bank of Nigeria Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, Continental Merchant Bank Limited and Gamji Bank Limited.

A graduate of Economics from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Isa-Dutse also has a Master’s in Business Administration from the Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania in the US and a PhD in Business Administration from the Manchester Business School in the UK.

In addition to other non-executive appointments, Isa-Dutse currently sits on the boards of Access Bank Plc and Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc as a non-executive director.

A statement by the president’s media aide, Mr Femi Adesina, said other new permanent secretaries are: Mrs. Ayotunde Adesugba, Mr. Taiwo Abidogun, Dr. Bukar Hassan, Mrs. Wakama Belema Asifieka, Mr. Jalal Ahmad Arabi, Mr. Sabiu Zakari, Mrs. Obiageli Phyllis Nwokedi and Mr. Aminu Nabegu.

Others are Mr. Bamgbose Olukunle Oladele, Mr. Alo Williams Nwankwo, Dr. Shehu Ahmed, Mr. Ogbonnaya Innocent Kalu, Mrs. Nuratu Jimoh Batagarawa, Mr. Christian Chinyeaka Ohaa, Mr. Bassey Apkanyung and Dr. Ugo Roy.

The president also approved the deployment of the new and old permanent secretaries as follows: Dr. Shehu Ahmad - Federal Ministry of Agric & Rural Development; Mr. Sunday Echono - Federal Ministry of Communications; Alhaji Sabiu Zakari - Federal Ministry of Transportation; Mrs. Ayotunde Adesugba - Federal Ministry of Information & Culture; Ambassador Danjuma Sheni - Federal Ministry of Defence; and Dr. Shade Yemi-Esan - Federal Ministry of Education.

Other deployments included that of Mrs. Fatima Mede to the Budget & National Planning Ministry; Ambassador Bulus Lolo - Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Dr. Amina Shamaki - Federal Ministry of Health; Mr. Aliyu Bisalla - Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade & Investment; Mr. Bassey Akpanyung - Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs; Mr. Taiwo Abidogun - Federal Ministry of Justice; and Dr. Habiba Lawal - Federal Ministry of Science & Technology.

In addition, Dr. Clement Illoh was deployed to the Federal Ministry of Labour & Productivity; Dr. Jamila Shu'ara - Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources; Mrs. Binta Bello - Federal Ministry of Women Affairs; Dr. Babatope Ajakaiye - Federal Capital Territory (FCT); Mrs. Rabi Jimeta - Federal Ministry of Water Resources; Dr. Bukar Hassan - Federal Ministry of Environment; Mrs. Wakama B. Asifieka - Federal Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs; Mr. Istifanus Fuktur - Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals; Mr. Christian Ohaa - Federal Ministry of Youth & Sports; Mr. A.G. Magaji - Federal Ministry of Works & Housing; and Mr. Jalal Arabi - State House.

Others affected by the deployment included Mr. Mohammed Bukar - General Services Office, OSGF; Mr. Abbas Mohammed - Ecological Fund Office, OSGF; Dr. Ugo Roy - Council Secretariat; Mr. Aminu Nabegu - Special Services Office, OSGF; Ambassador Bamgbose Akindele - Political Affairs Office, OSGF; Mr. Alo Williams Nwankwo - Economic Affairs Office, OSGF; Mrs. Obiageli Nwokedi - Special Duties Office, OSGF; Mr. Innocent Ogbonnaya - Career Management Office, OHCSF; Mr. S.K.Y. Adelakun - Common Services Office, OHCSF; and Mrs. N. Batagarawa - Service Policy & Strategies Office, OHCSF.

Adesina said in the statement that the appointments and deployments were with effect from yesterday, November 10, 2015.

Before the appointment of the new permanent secretaries and the deployment, the president earlier yesterday had met with them at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, after which 17 of the permanent secretaries were informed of their retirement from the Federal Civil Service.

They were led to a closed-door meeting with the president by the acting Head of Service, Mrs. Ekanem Oyo-Ita.

Although their retirement was not announced officially, but one of the affected permanent secretaries who confided in THISDAY said that 17 of them had been shown the exit.

The president had earlier received and met privately with former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-taps-private-sector-for-appointment-of-new-perm-secs-retires-17-others/225284/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by kahal29: 5:52am On Nov 11, 2015
Who says Baba is not working?

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Demmocrats(m): 5:56am On Nov 11, 2015
oh
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Nelson05(m): 5:59am On Nov 11, 2015
One thing i like dis Baba is dat he is taking his time but some how going 4 de best 2 occuppy Govt. Positions.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by kahal29: 6:07am On Nov 11, 2015
Nelson05:
One thing i like dis Baba is dat he is taking his time but some how going 4 de best 2 occuppy Govt. Positions.

I dey tel you is just that we are so much in a hurry to have quick fixes. Am so impressed with his style.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by bewla(m): 6:07am On Nov 11, 2015
carry the youth along
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by psucc(m): 6:13am On Nov 11, 2015
Though not FG CS but hope the civil service has its peculiarities. I think there is a departure from the standing rules(though may be wrong).
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Opinedecandid(m): 6:15am On Nov 11, 2015
This man does not have anything, I mean nothing for the younger generation.

I sympathise with the youths that are chanting change.
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by SkyBlue1: 6:16am On Nov 11, 2015
His appointments so far have showed thought. That is new.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by SkyBlue1: 6:21am On Nov 11, 2015
bewla:
carry the youth along

I have no interest in tokenist appointments to please any section of the population. We need proven performers who can develop the country for EVERYONE including the youth. Where did all of Jonathan's token appointments get him? The first criteria for appointment should be performace and track record. If it turns out to be a youth that best fits the bill then so be it, if not then so be it. Nigeria is too messed up and poor to be doing tokenist appointment, there is too much work to do.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Tycoflu(m): 6:23am On Nov 11, 2015
Opinedecandid:

Abeg park well biko! Youths are used as aids so as to learn from the appointed ones. Tell me one private firm that has youth as CEO or MD apart from the founder of the company since he knows the intricacies of the job. Una want result sharp sharp and at same time want youths with little or no experience to head a ministry. wetin PDP no even do for 16 years. Gerrarah here men!

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Pavore9: 6:31am On Nov 11, 2015
Opinedecandid:

Appointments is not what Youths needs but environment that foster devolved empowerment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Mologi(m): 6:38am On Nov 11, 2015
more appointments more money to pay...
and they talking about slashing payment
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Threedots(m): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2015
i am just wayching as everything unfolds
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by kahal29: 6:40am On Nov 11, 2015
Pavore9:

Appointments is not what Youths needs but environment that foster devolved empowerment.

Help me tell them

1 Like

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 11, 2015
I thought he wanted to prune down the number of ministries..too many directors and permanent secretaries. The Oronsaye report need to be revisited...Baba is working
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by greatiyk4u(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2015
If Buhari cannot bring positive changes to Nigeria, den I tink. We need Jesus Christ himself 2 effect change in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by seunmsg(m): 6:46am On Nov 11, 2015
psucc:
Though not FG CS but hope the civil service has its peculiarities. I think there is a departure from the standing rules(though may be wrong).

Permanent secretaries are just like political appointees. There is no rules that states that they must be appointed from the civil service. In fact, the public service rule is very clear that the career progression of a federal civil servant ends as a director on grade level 17.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Horlawoomey(m): 6:53am On Nov 11, 2015
Mologi:
more appointments more money to pay...
and they talking about slashing payment
What is this one saying, if you want to wail please do so with your brain.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Nobody: 6:55am On Nov 11, 2015
okay...
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by eaglechild: 6:56am On Nov 11, 2015
I am now 100% convinced that Buhari is a dullard.

This is the line he should have towed in terms of ministerial appointments rather than federal permanent secretaries that need a wealth of civil service experience.
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Mologi(m): 7:01am On Nov 11, 2015
Horlawoomey:

What is this one saying, if you want to wail please do so with your brain.

wailing...ugh!! if you don't have anything to say ...stop quoting people with brain..
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:05am On Nov 11, 2015
kahal29:
Who says Baba is not working?
only the fools will say that. Slow, steady and efficacy are the words.

Right people for the right job...that us wot PDP missed!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Dannyset(m): 7:07am On Nov 11, 2015
He is a Wise President! His age has bn a plus, and his experience is just key.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:13am On Nov 11, 2015
eaglechild:

This is the line he should have towed in terms of ministerial appointments rather than federal permanent secretaries that need a wealth of civil service experience.
foolish analyst...lol

So, you think the ministers are here to order the perm secs around? Lol...

No, that is not how it works. In a working environment, a perm sec is the main part of the machines while the minister is just an operator.

For a better illustration, u see, the civil service is the amplifier, the perm sec is the technician and the minister is just the speaker.

Not that the ministers dnt have ideas, but the perm secs are the main technocrats who will remain on ground after four years of the ministers is ended.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by Ballmer: 7:16am On Nov 11, 2015
eaglechild:

Why not contest for the presidency to implement your lofty idea or are you too foolish to device an idea that can fetch you the presidency yet you think you are intelligent enough to dictate to someone that scaled that fence. Being a wailer is indeed pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by tyson99(m): 7:17am On Nov 11, 2015
eaglechild:

ode

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by eaglechild: 7:20am On Nov 11, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
foolish analyst...lol

So, you think the ministers are here to order the perm secs around? Lol...

No, that is not how it works. In a working environment, a perm sec is the main part of the machines while the minister is just an operator.

For a better illustration, u see, the civil service is the amplifier, the perm sec is the technician and the minister is just the speaker.

Not that the ministers dnt have ideas, but the perm secs are the main technocrats who will remain on ground after four years of the ministers is ended.
You have not made any point rather you have buttressed mine.

Permanent secretaries are traditionally experienced civil servants who have risen through the ranks and who know the detailed workings of their ministries.

Ministers should be technocrats in their field drawn from any sector who help the government in formulating policy directives of their various ministries.
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by eaglechild: 7:28am On Nov 11, 2015
seunmsg:

Permanent secretaries are just like political appointees. There is no rules that states that they must be appointed from the civil service. In fact, the public service rule is very clear that the career progression of a federal civil servant ends as a director on grade level 17.
Permanent Secretaries (known by other names in
some departments; see below) are the NON-POLITICAL
CIVIL SERVICE HEADS (and "accounting officers"wink or
chief executives of government departments, who
generally hold their position for a number of years
(thus "permanent"wink at a ministry as distinct from the
changing political Secretaries of State to whom they
report and provide advice.

Do you see that most of you Sai Buhari chanters are often blinded in the face of glaring facts and obvious gaffes from your dullard leader.
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by malton: 7:32am On Nov 11, 2015
cool
Re: Buhari Taps Private Sector For Appointment Of New Perm Secs by seunmsg(m): 7:42am On Nov 11, 2015
eaglechild:

Permanent Secretaries (known by other names in
some departments; see below) are the NON-POLITICAL
CIVIL SERVICE HEADS (and "accounting officers"wink or
chief executives of government departments, who
generally hold their position for a number of years
(thus "permanent"wink at a ministry as distinct from the
changing political Secretaries of State to whom they
report and provide advice.

Do you see that most of you Sai Buhari chanters are often blinded in the face of glaring facts an obvious gaffes from your dullard leader.

The mode of their appointment is similar to political appointments as they are appointed at the discretion of the president based of federal character principles. You should get yourself a copy of the public service rules and show me where it is stated that a civil servant can be promoted beyond grade level 17(director).

Fact is, the president can appoint permanent secretaries either from the civil service or from any other place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Intelligent Minds Come In Here; Let's Talk War/international Politics / Igbos Own Some Of The Cattles Reared By Fulani Herdsmen – Enugu monarch / PHOTO: White Man Pounding Yam For His African Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.