Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,542 members, 7,812,687 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] (17006 Views)

Senate To Contractor: Stop Work On Otuoke Road Project / Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Amaechi Got N257bn From ECA In 2013 - Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Akpangbon: 8:49am On May 20, 2009
dedeike:

if govt does not award contracts for the construction of those roads, we will be the first to shout that Yar'Adua is insensitive to the plight of Abuja residents who suffer what is fast becoming the worst traffic situation on  kubwa road. we will also use this forum to laugh and make comparative analysis of the road to heathrow airport in london and that of Abuja airport. Nigeria will be a better  place if we learn not to be hypoctical in our approach to national issues.

Do you mind them? Most of them have never driven on that road nor experience the logjam during peak periods, this is why they talk without first reasoning.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by honeric01(m): 8:56am On May 20, 2009
i am not saying, its bad, what i need to know is how long is the 10 lane road going to be for that amount?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by londoner: 9:57am On May 20, 2009
Sometimes, there needs to be a bit of research before we all jump to conclusions. The government seems to be thinking about roads in other parts of the country too.

Nigeria: FG Signs N140 Billion Road Contracts

The Federal Government yesterday signed N140 billion contracts for the rehabilitation, strengthening and repairs of 32 major highways projects spread across the six geo-political of the country.
Minister of Works, Housing and Urban Development, Dr. Hassan Mohammed Lawal who signed the contract agreement on behalf of the Federal Government with the contractors handling the projects, said the government has released N21 billion as mobilisation fees in respect of the contracts.

Dr. Lawal who explained that each of the contractor would be given 15% payment mobilisation fees, charged the contractors to mobilise to their project sites within the next two weeks.

Noting that the ministry under him has adopted strict approach in monitoring and supervision of contractors handling the various government road projects in the country, Dr. Lawal vowed that certificates brought in by contractors will not spend less than 24 hours on his desk before payment is made.

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) had over early last month approved eight contractors for the repairs, construction and maintenance of highways in the country with a total sum of N23, 503,729,194.78.

It also a fortnight ago, approved the award of twenty_six highway contracts under the Zonal Intervention Projects, aimed at rehabilitating or reconstructing distressed major arterial highways that run North_South and East_West, and considered to be very critical in the Federal road network, at a total contract sum of N116, 576,716,396.29.

This put the cost of the total sum of the contracts awards to N140 billion, and the first of its kind since the inception of the nation's nascent democracy over ten years ego.

The Zonal Intervention Projects includes,
South East Zone:
(i) Rehabilitation of 9th Mile - Enugu - Port Harcourt dual carriageway in Enugu/Abia States, contract No. 6018, awarded to Messrs Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) in the sum of N8,964,995,597.25, with a completion period of 24 months;

(ii) Rehabilitation of Onitsha - Enugu dual carriageway Section II (Anambra State border to Enugu in Enugu State), contract No. 5988, awarded to Messrs Niger Construction Limited in the sum of N7,251,451,515.00, with a completion period of 30 months;

(iii) Rehabilitation of Oba - Nnewi Section I in Anambra State, contract No. 5986 awarded to Messrs Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) Limited in the sum of N3,794,656,941.08, with a completion period of 24 months;

(iv) Rehabilitation of Abakiliki - Afikpo road Section I (Abakiliki - Onueke - Abomega road in Ebonyi State), contract No. 5989 awarded to Messrs Bulletine Construction Company Limited in the sum of N2,987,774,166.30, with a completion period of 18 months;

(v) Rehabilitation of Abakiliki - Afikpo road Section II (Abomega - Afikpo road in Enugu State), contract No. 5989A, awarded to Messrs CCECC Nigeria Limited in the sum of N3,500,000,000.00, with a completion period of 18 months;

(vi) Rehabilitation of Aba - Owerri road in Abia/Imo States, contract No. 6021, awarded to Messrs Niger Construction Limited in the sum of N2,668,318,112.69, with a completion period of 14 months;

(vii) Rehabilitation of Oba - Nnewi - Okigwe road route 429 Section II (Anambra/Imo State border - Ibinta - Okigwe road in Imo State), contract No. 5986A, awarded to Messrs Bulletine Construction Company Limited in the sum of N2,572,473,142.28, with a completion period of 18 months;

South South Zone:

(i) Rehabilitation of Calabar - Ugep - Ogoja - Katsina Ala road Section I (Calabar Ugep in Cross River State), contract No. 6011, awarded to Messrs Piccolo Brunnelli Engineering Limited in the sum of N4,613,197,050.00, with a completion period of 24 months;

(ii) Rehabilitation of Calabar - Ugep - Ogoja - Katsina Ala road Section II (Ugep to Katsina_Ala in Benue/Cross River States), contract No.5991, awarded to Messrs CCECC Nigeria Limited, in the sum of N5,208,582,235.00, with a completion period of 24 months;
iii) Construction of Yenagoa - Okaki - Kolo in Bayelsa State, contract No. 5990, awarded to Messrs Enerco Limited in the sum of N9,983,340,780.00, with a completion period of 24 months;

South West Zone:

(i) Rehabilitation of Kabba - Omuo - Ifaki - Ado - Ekiti - Aramoko - Itawure - Efon Alaaye - Erinmo - Oshigbo road Section I (Omuo - Ifaki in Ekiti State), contract No. 5999, awarded to Messrs Kopek Construction Limited in the sum of N1,210,423,982.46, with a completion period of 10 months;

(ii) Rehabilitation of Ibadan - Oyo - Ogbomosho - Oshogbo road Section I (Oyo - Ogbomosho in Oyo State), contract No. 6001, awarded to Messrs Kopek Construction Limited, in the sum of N1,741,126,983.75, with a completion period of 11 months;

(iii) Rehabilitation of Shagamu - Ajebandele - Ore - Benin Road Section I (Ajebandele - Ofosu road in Ondo State), contract No. 6000 awarded to Messrs Reynolds Construction Company Limited (RCC) in the sum of N9,745,402,329.89, with a completion period of 30 months;

(iv) Rehabilitation of Shagamu - Ajebandele - Ore - Benin road Section II in Ogun State, contract No. 6012, awarded to Messrs Borini Prono and Company Nigeria Limited, in the sum of N2,498,934,091.50 with a completion period of 18 months;

North Central Zone:

(i) Rehabilitation of 9th Mile - Oturkpo - Makurdi road (Otukpa - Oturkpo Section) in Benue State, contract No. 5983, awarded to Messrs Bulletine Construction Company Limited in the sum of N4,206,805,680.00, with a completion period of 18 months;

(ii) Rehabilitation of Mararaba - Pambeguwa - Saminaka - Jos road Section I (Mararaba - Pambeguwa in Kaduna State), contract No. 5996, awarded to Messrs Arab Contractors Limited in the sum of N5,286,922,048.49, with a completion period of 20 months;

(iii) Rehabilitation of Mararaba - Pambeguwa - Saminaka - Jos road Section II (Pambeguwa - Saminaka - Jos in Kaduna/Plateau States), contract No. 6013, awarded to Messrs P.W. Nigeria Limited in the sum of N3,627,414,510.72, with a completion period of 18 months;

(iv) Rehabilitation of Ilorin - Jebba - Mokwa road, (Ilorin - Jebba Section Phase I in Kwara State), contract No. 5994, awarded to Messrs Bulletine Construction Company Limited in the sum of N1,508,853,307.50, with a completion period of 12 months;

North East Zone:
(i) Rehabilitation of Gombe - Numan - Yola road Section II (Numan - Gombe in Adamawa/Gombe States), contract No. 5979, awarded to Messrs Triacta Nigeria Limited in the sum of N8,515,306,800.00, with completion period of 30 months;

(ii) Rehabilitation of Maiduguri - Bama - Gwoza - Hong road Section II (Bama Gwoza in Borno State), contract No. 5975, awarded to Messrs CGC Nigeria Limited in the sum of N5,019,848,813.60, with a completion period of 18 months;

(iii) Rehabilitation of Maiduguri - Bama - Gwoza - Hong road Section I (Maiduguri - Bama - Banki in Borno State), contract No. 5974, awarded to Messrs Standard Construction Limited in the sum of N5,720,242,869.50, with a completion period of 18 months;

(iv) Rehabilitation of Wukari - Mutumbiyu - Jalingo - Numan road Section I (Wukari - Mutumbiyu Road Route 90 in Taraba State), contract No. 5981, awarded to Messrs Moulds Nigeria Limited in the sum of N4,708,622,784.89, with a completion period of 15 months;

North West Zone:

(i) Rehabilitation of Kano - Katsina - Kaura Namoda - Jibia road Section II (Kaura Namoda - Jibiya in Zamfara/Katsina States), contract No. 6014, awarded to Messrs Dantata and Sawoe Construction Company Nig. Limited in the sum of N3,985,825,501.35, with a completion period of 18 months
(iv) Rehabilitation of Kano - Katsina - Kaura Namoda - Jibia road Section I (Kano - Katsina State Border road in Kano State), contract No. 5995, awarded to Messrs Borini Prono and Company Nigeria Limited in the sum of N1,920,243,309.66, with a completion period of 12 months.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Akpangbon: 10:14am On May 20, 2009
@Londoner

They will not comment anymore, they will at best say to you that you made up these.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by honeric01(m): 10:45am On May 20, 2009
Londoner, thanks for the info, this is a great news to behold,

now, we should now focus our attention of monitoring the progress
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Akpangbon: 10:46am On May 20, 2009
Nooo - they will ignore it, the nay sayiers will pretend not to see.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by londoner: 10:48am On May 20, 2009
Akpangbon:

@Londoner

They will not comment anymore, they will at best say to you that you made up these.

I agree, the average Nigerian just gets excited about the prospect of criticism alone. Many will now lose interest in the thread totally, and trod off looking for more salivating opportunities to simply criticise

I doubt the above information will even make them happy, same people who a few pages earlier were lamenting about roads in disarray elsewhere in the country, lol

We humans are very funny creatures sometimes.

@Honeric, you are absolutely right, it is the job of Nigerian citizens to monitor progress (or lack thereof).
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by honeric01(m): 10:54am On May 20, 2009
Well, we all know Nigerians never expect anything good in Nigeria, expecially those outside Nigeria, they are good at condemming everything even when it's positive, they find something bad in it.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by otokx(m): 12:04pm On May 20, 2009
the government is always announcing billions of billions yet nothing happens.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 12:26pm On May 20, 2009
@londoner, isn't this thread about $1.7 Billion going to 10 Lane road in Abuja? Why did you feel to post information on contracts to other areas apart from Abuja on here ?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Akpangbon: 1:10pm On May 20, 2009
Because if you follow the thread you will find it argued that the project is not necessary because other roads accross the nation are due for repairs as well. Do you read at all?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by mmaks: 1:27pm On May 20, 2009
i weep for niger-delta.the goose that lays the golden egg
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by AjaraEwuro: 1:56pm On May 20, 2009
Nigeria is a country where the citizens hate her so much that they dont want anything good out of her.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by OneNaija(m): 1:22am On May 21, 2009
Here is the Picture of the Ten Lane Project in Abuja

Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by dedeike: 8:47am On May 21, 2009
@ one naija
i wonder where u get all these pics from. however, i am happy about the projects. when completed (including the bouleavard) ABJ will be inching to be one of the best in Africa.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by londoner: 9:12am On May 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@londoner, isn't this thread about $1.7 Billion going to 10 Lane road in Abuja? Why did you feel to post information on contracts to other areas apart from Abuja on here ?

I would have thought it obvious Kobojunkie.

Most of the people criticising the project hinged their discontent on the notion that the Abuja project was somehow at the expense of road projects that could be carried out around the country. The information I posted was evidence to the contrary.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by OneNaija(m): 9:14am On May 21, 2009
Nothing wrong post
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 11:34am On May 21, 2009
londoner:

I would have thought it obvious Kobojunkie.

Most of the people criticising the project hinged their discontent on the notion that the Abuja project was somehow at the expense of road projects that could be carried out around the country. The information I posted was evidence to the contrary.
$1.7 Billion dollars for Abuja roads ALONE vs approx. $1 Billion for all the other roads in Nigerias? Come on!!!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by KnowAll(m): 12:33pm On May 21, 2009
$1.7 Billion dollars for Abuja roads ALONE vs approx. $1 Billion for all the other roads in Nigerias? Come on!!!

What it simply means in lay mans lingo is there is N100.00 in the pot and Abuja has taken N50.00.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by londoner: 10:07am On May 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well yes, that is because it costs more to build roads from scratch then to rehabilitate them. The other roads in the project are already built, they were built before Abuja became the capital. Abuja is a city still being built, and the roads in the masterplan are to be built from virgin land. I believe the projects elsewhere is for rehabilitaion of FEDERAL ROADS/highways,of which the FG has the responsibility to take care of.

Obviously it will cost more. Abuja is the capital of Nigeria mind. In the states, the non federal roads are to be taken care of the state, thats if I am not mistaken.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On May 23, 2009
@londoner, the excerpt below clearly states this is not a"from Scratch" project

The project involves the expansion of the expressways to 10 lanes respectively and the rehabilitation of the existing expressways.

. . .
He explained that the two roads which currently have only four lanes each were conceived to be 10-lane expressways in the Abuja master plan.

‘It is in recognition of the huge capital outlay involved in such projects that the Federal Government decided to make full use of the innovation, enterprise and management efficiency of the private sector in improving the road network and in providing better value for money for taxpayers and road users.
. . .

You are sure the reasons you gave in your response are really that valid? $1.7 for one stretch of roads vs less than $1 billion for a whole country??
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by AjaraEwuro: 12:42pm On May 23, 2009
@londoner

YOu dont have to waste time arguing with Kobojunkie

There are presently two lanes each on each side, meaning the other 3 lanes on each side is from scratch, so, to existing lanes to be renovated, three existing lanes to be built from scratch.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by SapeleGuy: 12:55pm On May 23, 2009
What does Abuja produce for the country beyond bureaucracy, that necessitates it taking 50% of the budget for federal road rehabilitation/construction ? Let us spread development across Nigeria, how about developing the areas that produces the money that the whole country depends on?
When something is unfair, we need to be able to say so without fear or favour, otherwise we become unpatriotic.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by dasa: 1:13am On May 24, 2009
Which kind country i from like this sef. eye service governent. they are doing this so when oyinbos come they'll say the country is developed. everything is ABuja. the city is costing us so much and deos not contribute anything.

Benin-ore road serves the economy greatly and u cant pass there till now. i drove from PH to Lagos and i had to change my shocks.

One day God will remove these non nigerians that are ruling us. if they where Nigerians they'll do whats is best for her.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by biina: 2:17am On May 24, 2009
Definitely the cost of the Abuja road sound dubious, but we cannot expect all our problems to be solved over night. As long as the road is built (with good quality) and it does improve the standard of living of people in Abuja, the inflated nature of the contract can be addressed at a later date. I am not aware of a statute of limitation on corruption in Nigeria.

I wish the press would do a better a job of relaying information to the populace. Investigative journalism into the awarded contracts and the level of progress would go a long way in educating the people on holding their leaders accountable.

@dasa
The contract for the Shagamu - Ajebandele - Ore - Benin Road has been awarded. See the list of contracts in londoner's post.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by sage(m): 7:53am On May 24, 2009
Abuja this, Abuja that all 2 impress the white man embarassed

how about develop regular nigerian cities and make them livable. Nigerian cities look like garbage cans and we are white washing Abuja?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by londoner: 9:44pm On May 25, 2009
I suppose when Lagos was the capital, it did not get most of the development, in terms of roads? Lol, is that not why people came to live there from far and wide?

I think you will find that many capital cities do all over the world. They are not doing anything more in Abuja than you would expect of any modern capital city.

Thats the truth.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 12:01am On May 26, 2009
londoner:

I suppose when Lagos was the capital, it did not get most of the development, in terms of roads? Lol, is that not why people came to live there from far and wide?

I think you will find that many capital cities do all over the world. They are not doing anything more in Abuja than you would expect of any modern capital city.

Thats the truth.

When lagos was capital, we did not have projects like this. I wonder why you decided not to respond to my post to you concerning the project not being a START UP. The almost 2 billion was put aside to add lanes, not build the road from scratch.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by biina: 12:19am On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

When lagos was capital, we did not have projects like this. I wonder why you decided not to respond to my post to you concerning the project not being a START UP. The almost 2 billion was put aside to add lanes, not build the road from scratch.
In all fairness, depending on the existing structure, they might have to break up parts of, or the entire four lanes, before adding the new ones. At times, an homogeneous layer is preferred to ensure surface integrity and proper drainage.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 4:23am On May 26, 2009
biina:

In all fairness, depending on the existing structure, they might have to break up parts of, or the entire four lanes, before adding the new ones. At times, an homogeneous layer is preferred to ensure surface integrity and proper drainage.

Where in the article are you told to make the above assumption?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by biina: 4:56am On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Where in the article are you told to make the above assumption?
assumption? I simply gave a possible scenario under which changing an 8-lane road to 10-lane could entail as much as building the 10-lane road from scratch.

I don't believe anyone on here is privy to the exact details of the construction, so it is simply a possibility.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 5:48am On May 26, 2009
biina:

assumption? I simply gave a possible scenario under which changing an 8-lane road to 10-lane could entail as much as building the 10-lane road from scratch.

I don't believe anyone on here is privy to the exact details of the construction, so it is simply a possibility.

Did you read the article??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Oritsejafor, Adeboye, Oyedepo Spits Fire! / Joe Komolafe: Amotekun Will Use Supernatural Power To Combat Insecurity / NLC, Residents Block Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway To Protest Against Bad Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.