Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Whose Money Is It Anyway? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Money Is It Anyway? (633 Views)

Wives: Your Money Is The Family's Money Too / Your Money Is Finished The Moment She Knows Where You Keep It / Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Money Is It Anyway? by MusingsOfALady: 1:02pm On Nov 12, 2015
James and Shirley were college sweethearts. After NYSC, Shirley got a better paying job than James. They got married and the difference in their income became an issue. Shirley was of the opinion that whatever she earned was her money. She was reluctant to spend her money in the house, especially on things she believed were the man's responsibility.

In frustration, James quit his job and started a business; the business faltered greatly and his earnings plummeted to nearly zero. Shirley found it unbearable having to pay the expenses of the house. She gave James money but humiliated him in doing so.
James's mother had to live with them and when she saw what was going on, she spent her days praying and fasting. She and James would hold vigils every other day. God answered James and he got a multi-million Naira contract.

Today James is immensely wealthy. Although he takes good care of his wife, his value on his mother seems higher. She has a wing in their new house and travels abroad as she wishes. She still prays for James and is involved in his major decisions. Shirley now has a big issue with it; to her, mama is contending her home with her and not allowing her to enjoy "our money". So now she prays that her MIL would die so she can enjoy "her" money. I can tell you God won't answer that Prayer.

The total income of a couple is what God had blessed that family with. He may give a larger portion to the husband or the wife, it shouldn't matter. I repeat, it should not matter! There should be no "my money" or "your money". It should always be our money. Plan, spend and invest together as a couple. That is the best way to treat money. Set your financial goals together and be accountable to each other without policing each other. This does not necessarily mean having a joint account. You may have a joint project account and still maintain other separate checking accounts.

Even If the husband earns more, let the wife's portion be felt in the family. Spend on your husband, on your children, on your in-laws etc. Don't as a woman, keep all your money for yourself. Let your bond transcend money, let your love transcend money! God can lift up your spouse tomorrow, don't despise your spouse because of his/her current earning ability.

Remember the word "current"!

So whose money is it? Should there be a line between your money and my money? Or do you agree that it should be "Our" money. Please share your thoughts.

All Rights Reserved © 2015 Oluseye Igbafe

2 Likes

Re: Whose Money Is It Anyway? by laurenziz6(m): 1:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
*what am i even doing here sef*
*spits on thread and walks out*
Re: Whose Money Is It Anyway? by MusingsOfALady: 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2015
So young, yet so crude.

laurenziz6:
*what am i even doing here sef*
*spits on thread and walks out*
Re: Whose Money Is It Anyway? by okirewaju(f): 11:20am On Nov 13, 2015
Hmnnnnnnn

Food for thought

1 Like

Re: Whose Money Is It Anyway? by laurenziz6(m): 3:15pm On Nov 13, 2015
MusingsOfALady:
So young, yet so crude.

u borrowed the topic name from "whose line is it anyway" right?

(1) (Reply)

Ladies And Gentlemen Whats Ur Take On This As Concerning Family Decisions ? / Photos: Woman Gives Birth Inside Keke Marwa In Enugu On New Year Day / Reasons For Failed relationship And Delayed Marriages With Women In Retrospect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.