Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,572 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? (4295 Views)

Married Men, Please What Exactly Are You Enjoying In Your Marriage? / Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? / Can I Start A Family With 70k? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2016
A little lengthy, but worth the read:

Honestly I was flabbergasted to say the least that there are people who think 200k is not enough for a family for a month. It is laughable too that women are the ones saying it is not enough. Let us take three families for lllustration sake applying standard living.

Mr and Mrs Musa have three kids and Mr Musa earns 200k a month, while Mrs Musa is a stay at home wife. Now at the end of the month, Musa hands over 100k to his wife for expense sake and saves 100k. If Mrs Musa has common sense, I expect her to save 20k a month then buy foodstuffs for 50k.
Not sure if it is possible for a family of 6 (plus the help) to finish a bag of rice in a month, so with bulk buying and preservation they can buy foodstuff in regular market that can last a month if well managed for 50k, spend 20k on miscellaneous and keep 10k vex money.
At the end of the year she has 240k saved while her husband if he does not drink or flirt can save at least 1.2m, but let us assume he uses 200k on something else, the combined earning at the end of the year is at 1.2 million. They could pay fees comfortably in low cost private schools that take 30k a term, so for the three kids they spend 270 plus help 10k for three term and school requirements which is once. So they spend 400k on the children.
They live in a 3 bed room flat in satellite towns and pay 450k a year for a 3-bedroom flat, spend 150k on utility. That is 1 million a year.
They have 200k as precautionary fund. If repeated for ten years they could buy a land and build a four bedroom bungalow and another small one for rent.

Mr and Mrs Bayo
Husband earns 200k and wife earns 80k month. Couple saves 200k a month and live on 50k a month with their children while wife saves 30k.
Do the maths again and figure out how to survive.

Mr and Mrs Okoye
Wife earns 150k a month and husband earns 200k a month. Couple can save 200k a month and live on 80k, while wife saves the rest.

The problem with whoever thinks 200k a month is not enough definitely has a standard of living that is not measurable to income. I seriously do not have a problem with anybody saying she cannot marry a man who is not earning so & so amount, you are absolutely right to say that and that is why I advocate for marrying your kind. The Problem is when you are not earning shishi but because one person told you that because you have vagina and breast you are entitled to somebody's sweat while you are not earning such or you think a man's money is our money while your own is your own.
Most of the girls saying I cannot marry a man who earns 200k are thinking of a bella Naija wedding and posh lifestyle to impress their friends because they are afraid of gossips, that is why you hear her talking about British international school, Corona and co. That is why she is talking about a house that cost 1million a year because she is thinking not of a marriage, nor a partnership, nor a working union, She is thinking of the impression of the streets and what her friends will say if she is not at the airport with a Hermes bag and Brazilian weaves taking a selfie with the latest smartphone . It is all about her slay game.
You will likely not grow with a woman like that, emphasis on likely, as anything can happen. Na so so "Studio 24 "life una go dey live. First of all she wants a 2million naira wedding then a 2million naira lifestyle, to her it is all about impressions and what people would say.
If you cannot manage any steady income then you cannot manage wealth. You do not need that human hair, and that bag. They are luxuries, luxuries are funded by excess not basic. You gotta think "Needs" first before "Wants", lose the need to impress people. British High school when you cannot afford it??Please that is not the life. Some of us went to Jakonde and did great. I kid you not i can help you break down your income to suit your lifestyle no matter the amount.

NOW THIS PART IS FOR YOU MEN THAT LIKE THINGS THAT ARE OBVIOUSLY BIGGER THAN YOU
These group of men like flashy, and flashy costs money.
You will see that hard working girl who can manage but you will leave her to go after flashy, then when flashy tells you she is not about that 200k life, you start vibrating. All women are prostitutes, Nigerian women are disandat.
But you left the girl who owns a salon to go after the one slaying on instagram. Cutting your coat according to your class also means going after girls in your social stratum. Leave the " 200k ain't shit" girls for Don Jazzy and the Adenuga them them. I did not go to British International and I turned out good and made good results. Do not use your hand and go and buy trouble for yasef oh. Umuazi ga etinye kwa nu na high jump. I will also advocate working wives, Nowadays you can even work from home so kini big deal?

Endeavour to talk about these things before marriage. Buhari is looking like somebody that will be president for 8 years and still be there till death do him and the chair part. So it is imperative that everybody adjust and re coup. For singles like me, please talk about this things, talk about how to manage your finances oh. Talk oh.

For the married, you should also adjust. If the school fees is killing you, please move them to cheaper schools, they will be fine. If the 1million naira rent is killing you, move to a cheaper house. Suspend the holidays to Atlanta and London, explain the economic realities to your kids.
With common sense, we will all be fine.

I RISE

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153880680092914&id=521527913

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 2:52pm On Aug 29, 2016
Bump
Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2016
cool cool nice one op... Even 100k sef is enuf
Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 8:29am On Aug 30, 2016
Atomizer:
cool cool nice one op... Even 100k sef is enuf
Thanks for the nod. I believe people should just learn how to live comfortably within their earnings.I honestly don't know what it is with Nigerians and the need to look wealthy to neighbours and people around.
You see some families owning three very good cars but they're living on rent in an above-average area and I begin to wonder who does dat.

2 Likes

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by KanoAbiaBabe(f): 8:45am On Aug 30, 2016
The amount depend largely on the location and planning, when I tell my friends I have not brought rice,beans and wheat since the increase of commodity they are all amazed. The last time I bought them was January. What I do personally is to buy foodstuffs(non perishable items) during the period when things are cheaps. With this method I save reasonable amount from salary. Just wish women will adopt this method.

1 Like

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 31, 2016
OP ur analysis na die o.

200k a month:
you give madam 100k then you hold 100?
then from your own 100k u will save everything abi? smh.

now in a month, there are lots of bills to pay. u pay electricity bills, water bill, refuse bill, pay for transport fare, buy fuel for your car, service your car maybe. buy some gift for your kids or wife once in a while within the month. pay for medical bills, send money to friends and family maybe, buy a new thing in the house, repair any bad thing in the house, pay for security, pay for this and pay for that, and at the end of the month u will have nothing left, and u are here saying he will save 1.2million naira in a year. let me take a guess...its either you are still living with your parents and don't know how running a home is like or u are jobless and wishing saving was that easy.

11 Likes

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2016
tiniyata:
OP ur analysis na die o.

200k a month:
you give madam 100k then you hold 100?
then from your own 100k u will save everything abi? smh.

now in a month, there are lots of bills to pay. u pay electricity bills, water bill, refuse bill, pay for transport fare, buy fuel for your car, service your car maybe. buy some gift for your kids or wife once in a while within the month. pay for medical bills, send money to friends and family maybe, buy a new thing in the house, repair any bad thing in the house, pay for security, pay for this and pay for that, and at the end of the month u will have nothing left, and u are here saying he will save 1.2million naira in a year. let me take a guess...its either you are still living with your parents and don't know how running a home is like or u are jobless and wishing saving was that easy.
Thanks for your insight which doesn't deliver in the way you expected it to.refuse bill & electricity bill gets paid once a month and together they don't account for very much unless you're living in a house that has no electricity meter.
I don't even know what you mean by water bill undecided who pays water bill in Nigeria when everyone digs their own boreholes..

Every other thing you listed are not monthly expenditures,and saving 100k doesn't mean the balance ends up as 100k at the end of the month.it simply means that one has 100k saved to cover any expenses that might come up. but u already knew this right sir?
Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by Nancy2016: 4:06pm On Aug 31, 2016
@Op: I would say your analysis is very flawed for the following reasons
1. It does not take into account taxes and other income deductions. How can someone be earning 200k and be taking home 200k?
2. It does not take into account regular expenses such as clothing, transportation, toiletries, medical bills, holidays, cable/movies
3. For ten years the first couple will be merely existing and that's not a good life to lead. No entertainment, no extracurricular activities for the kids, no holidays to go and see family members. I am sure you cannot expect a family to live comfortably when they have to forgo the simple pleasures in life. They need a social life too.

2 Likes

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 10:01pm On Aug 31, 2016
Nancy2016:
@Op: I would say your analysis is very flawed for the following reasons
1. It does not take into account taxes and other income deductions. How can someone be earning 200k and be taking home 200k?
2. It does not take into account regular expenses such as clothing, transportation, toiletries, medical bills, holidays, cable/movies
3. For ten years the first couple will be merely existing and that's not a good life to lead. No entertainment, no extracurricular activities for the kids, no holidays to go and see family members. I am sure you cannot expect a family to live comfortably when they have to forgo the simple pleasures in life. They need a social life too.
Simple pleasures in life in this economy.funny you.
Okay then, let's all agree the analysis is flawed and the writer of the piece has no idea what she's doing.so how about you now enlighten me and everyone else exactly how much money will be enough for that family in the first example in a month.

Cc: tiniyata
I CCed you regarding the question above. Maybe you can use your experience to tell us how you would break down the 200k a month, or maybe you're of the opinion that there can be no savings @years end with 200k a month and if so please estimate your comfortable figure.

All I'm seeing from you both is the typical Nigerian way of being experts at detecting problems without having any solution,and I'm eager to see what u come up with. Thanks.
Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 01, 2016
missjo:

Thanks for your insight which doesn't deliver in the way you expected it to.refuse bill & electricity bill gets paid once a month and together they don't account for very much unless you're living in a house that has no electricity meter.
I don't even know what you mean by water bill undecided who pays water bill in Nigeria when everyone digs their own boreholes..

Every other thing you listed are not monthly expenditures,and saving 100k doesn't mean the balance ends up as 100k at the end of the month.it simply means that one has 100k saved to cover any expenses that might come up. but u already knew this right sir?
OP, are u single and living with your parents or living alone, or are u married?
If you are single and living with parents, do u work or not?
If u work, then how much do u save in a month?
If you don't, how much pocket money do u save in a month from what your parents give to you?

If u stay alone, my guess is that you are working, and if u are, how much do u save in a month?

If you are married, and not working, ho much do u save from the money your husband giv you fo foodstuffs?
If you are working, how much do u save the month. And plea include th number of people that makes up your household.
If you can give me answer to the above question truthfully, then I know where to start from.

But I can guarantee you that the best you can save from 200k salary for a family of five including u and your spouse in a month can not be calculated.
Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 11:23am On Sep 01, 2016
tiniyata:
OP, are u single and living with your parents or living alone, or are u married?
If you are single and living with parents, do u work or not?
If u work, then how much do u save in a month?
If you don't, how much pocket money do u save in a month from what your parents give to you?

If u stay alone, my guess is that you are working, and if u are, how much do u save in a month?

If you are married, and not working, ho much do u save from the money your husband giv you fo foodstuffs?
If you are working, how much do u save the month. And plea include th number of people that makes up your household.
If you can give me answer to the above question truthfully, then I know where to start from.

But I can guarantee you that the best you can save from 200k salary for a family of five including u and your spouse in a month can not be calculated.
Just as I thought,expert problem detectors most often have no solutions to give.no offence sir.

There's really no point giving you any info since you're guaranteed it can't be calculated,i expected u to use that family given in the first example not me.

1 Like

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by Allwility: 9:22pm On Sep 01, 2016
For a family of four living in downtown Lagos, I believe 70k- 90k will comfortably foot feeding and utility expenses. Don't forget most of the soups you cook at home don't get exhausted that same day.
I remember back then as a corp member, while complaining about my meagre N19800 allawi, a wise woman told me not to complain any further...that there were families that didnt earn that much yet found a way to survive. It all boils down to your financial management and home keeping skills

1 Like

Re: Exactly How Much Money Is Suitable To Cater For A Family (monthly Basis)? by missjo(f): 10:14pm On Sep 06, 2016
Allwility:
For a family of four living in downtown Lagos, I believe 70k- 90k will comfortably foot feeding and utility expenses. Don't forget most of the soups you cook at home don't get exhausted that same day.
I remember back then as a corp member, while complaining about my meagre N19800 allawi, a wise woman told me not to complain any further...that there were families that didnt earn that much yet found a way to survive. It all boils down to your financial management and home keeping skills
Even families earning less than 30grand a month survive on it and aren't dead yet,tiz all about management.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mummies In The House Please HELP!! / I Need Advise On Best Way To Handle My In-laws / Relocation Sales!All Barely 2 year's, Agege Lagos,very Good Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.