Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? (8615 Views)

Paris Terror Attacks Is Obama And Nato's Handwork / Presidency Visiting Nairaland Daily ( Photo) / American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by olanajim(m): 2:38pm On May 17, 2009
Breaking news,

It has just been confirm that Obama will be visiting Nigeria after his ghana trip, Cry no more, o ye obamania, your idol is here, In fact, he will be heading straight to Niger Delta upon arrival.

Source? www.snubnaija.org
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by strangleyo: 2:54pm On May 17, 2009
tosh_acer:

What is the meaning of what you have just said?

Alarm bells go off and Nigerians still sleep.

I really hope they stop buying our petrol too.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by sashbaby(f): 3:03pm On May 17, 2009
@ fellis you are really dumb.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by olanajim(m): 3:10pm On May 17, 2009
Has everyone noticed thta Ghananians are returning home to build their country? check http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8052518.stm What about Nigerians? Why will a foreign leader be more excited at visiting a countr where her own citizens are running away from?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by toshacer: 3:11pm On May 17, 2009
olanajim:

Has everyone noticed thta Ghananians are returning home to build their country? check http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8052518.stm What about Nigerians? Why will a foreign leader be more excited at visiting a countr where her own citizens are running away from?

Let them run away, they will soon run back.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 3:15pm On May 17, 2009
sashbaby:

@ fellis you are really dumb.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by strangleyo: 3:26pm On May 17, 2009
tosh_acer:

Let them run away, they will soon run back.

No they won't. Not if Nigeria continues down this road.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by sleekp1: 3:30pm On May 17, 2009
strangleyo:

Shouldn't we all just leave and maybe wait for America to rebuild it so we can move back? Genius idea.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by toshacer: 3:31pm On May 17, 2009
strangleyo:

better if they dont, dont u know?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 17, 2009
Ok.
First of all, I know that by, 'ekiti wonder', you weren't referring to any user. That was why I didn't type it in full, just wrote 'ekiti'. I was just hoping you'd tell what ekiti wonder meant, after reading the post.
And if you don't feel inclined to do that, just ignore this post. That insult was rather uncalled for. I don't remember ever insulting you on NL.
@topic,
Running away is hardly a solution. If everyone ran away, who would be there to fix the problems they were running from?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Jairzinho(m): 4:19pm On May 17, 2009
I think it will be mischevious for any right thinking Nigerian to say the leader of the free world's visit to Ghana has no significance.

I ask again within the W/african subcontinent,who should be the power broker??

Why is he visiting Egypt to make his speech to the Muslim world? Simple,Egypt is the most populous Arab country ,about one in 2 Arabs is an Egyptian.

Ghana(I love the place) is geographically less than SS Nigeria in size & roughly the population of Lagos & its environs.

The tripod of Africa had always been - Egypt in the North, SA in the South & Nigeria in the West,however the inept politicians we have who do not see beyond their pockets are gradually screwing up this great country,we need to act . . . . . . .& act fast . . .
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by naijamini(m): 4:46pm On May 17, 2009
If this report were true this would be a major miscalculation on the part of President Obama.

Make no mistake, like almost everyone else I think President Obama's achievement as America's first black president is a watershed. In fact I have often argued that a minority President is impossible almost anywhere else in the world. That he achieved this is a testimony to his unique attributes and the basic goodness of the American system.

However, it seems that Africa, unfortunately, is one of President Obama's weaknesses. A visit to Ghana and not to Nigeria does the continent no good at all. The question is what has Ghana done for Africa lately?

Corrupt as it may be it is Nigeria's footprint that you see far and wide on the continent putting out fires, fires that were most times set by America and its western counterparts - think Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Sudan, Congo and during the apartheid era - South Africa. Nigeria was even crucial in ensuring that Ghana's recent elections -now being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread- did not deteriorate into chaos.

If this report were true, and I don't want to believe it is, Obama's approach to Nigeria is similar to that by many of the above nations who WE save from themselves time and time again, but tend to reward us with the most callous assessments. Not that I blame them necessarily - if a head of state is blowing (and stealing most of it) $12 billion to stop a war in another country while the same kind of war (Niger Delta) is brewing in his backyard, he deserves no respect. If a head of state is building a refinery in Ivory Coast while his brethen's refineries are in disrepair, he deserves no respect. If the privileged few decide to steal $300 billion from millions of people who leave in penury, that nation will be despised all over the world.

Despite the above, Obama's avoidance of Nigeria is still untenable, because there are people down there who are struggling against the Nigerian oligarchy and could use a boost to their efforts. Yaradu'a may be turning out to be less prepared than we thought, his election was definitely flawed, and he has certainly tarnished is Mr. Clean image by surrounding himself with corrupt people, and firing the person who brought the most intense and successful fight against corruption in Nigeria's history. Yet, a visit to Nigeria by President Obama carrying along one of those hard knocking speeches - perhaps adequately translated and broadcasted widely in Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo- would have done a world of good to encourage those keeping up hope in Nigeria and emphasize the need for Yaradu'a to move quickly to solidify democracy in word and deed. It would have also signaled that America's is watching and encouraged true democratic groups, who currently cower, to raise their voice and take Nigeria's destiny in their hands.

I simply don't see how President Obama is going to conduct his African policy without Nigeria. Ordinarily, the U.S. would have opted for South Africa, but that country is looking more and more like Nigeria these days. He is willing to talk to those that most vex U.S. interests around the world and is sharing banter with Hugo Chavez and other corrupt/authoritative leaders in the Middle East and elsewhere. Who elected China's President and government to which America needs to defer in many important areas today? (N.B. I do not supporting non-democratic rule, in fact I despise them.) I just don't see the need for Obama to avoid Nigeria, as long as he makes sure to express the fact that America is not satisfied with Yaradu'a's performance so far.

'Debo
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by naliakar: 5:40pm On May 17, 2009
I simply don't see how President Obama is going to conduct his African policy without Nigeria. Ordinarily, the U.S. would have opted for South Africa, but that country is looking more and more like Nigeria these days. He is willing to talk to those that most vex U.S. interests around the world and is sharing banter with Hugo Chavez and other corrupt/authoritative leaders in the Middle East and elsewhere. Who elected China's President and government to which America needs to defer in many important areas today? (N.B. I do not supporting non-democratic rule, in fact I despise them.) I just don't see the need for Obama to avoid Nigeria, as long as he makes sure to express the fact that America is not satisfied with Yaradu'a's performance so far.

'Debo

I thought all along that Nigeria was a failed state. Can Nigeria guarantee continuous electricity supply for even one hour Obama may be on the ground if ever he visits. Who will guarantee his security when all the security organs wil be fighting MEND in the Niger. Give Ghana a break, the country is way advanced over naija (democratically speaking).
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by strangleyo: 5:43pm On May 17, 2009
sleek_p:

Shouldn't we all just leave and maybe wait for America to rebuild it so we can move back? Genius idea.

No, you can only cherish something if you built it.

We'll just turn it into "Nigeria" again.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by manmustwac(m): 5:44pm On May 17, 2009
manmustwac:

As things stands now in Africa, Ghana is a shining example and a beacon of hope to  black people all over the world.

The whole continent is afflicted with decrepit infrastructure, corruption, ethnic rivalry, and the likes but the most dangerous of them all is electoral fraud. From Pres Obama's native Kenya to Zimbabwe, Nigeria to south Africa, none has been spared the scourge of electoral manipulations.

But Ghana was chosen solely because of the maturity of its democracy as signposted by its superior electoral processes.

It is an indictment of other African countries were elections are a do or die affair

That is the real reason why Obama is visiting Ghana
fellis:

No one with 'ekiti' username on this thread.
[b]@manmustwac, did Obama say that was the reason?
[/b]And LlOoOLlL. @perpetual seven point agenda.

Yes fellis i googled the information
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by jimmysho(m): 6:03pm On May 17, 2009
[b]It has been said from the beginning that Africa should not expect much from him.

I see no reason why we are screaming because he do not visit Africa 1st which Nigeria suppose to be his first port of call.

He chooses to visit wherever he visit because country (America) first. White house know what they stand to gain by putting Ghana 1st.

Let us bear in mind that he has not proposed a visit to “his homeland”- Kenya

So don’t blame him, let just watch out for what the visit will secure Ghana. We still know what the democratic think about Africa.

Remember, Bush did not visit us when leaving office because of out stand on the military formation. Moreso, America is the same when it comes to issue of national interest no matter the party in power
[/b]
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by ifihearam: 6:11pm On May 17, 2009
Why should he come to Nigeria when you people have a weak president that does not have mouth internationally.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by toshacer: 6:13pm On May 17, 2009
why should he come to a country which the citizens have called different names and have written off in existence?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Bay1970(m): 6:16pm On May 17, 2009
Why I posted this topic

The Nigeria Government sent a delegation to US to lobby for a Yar'adua visit LAST MONTH.
The delegation was led by Nigeria's foreign minister and Hillary Clinton clearly told them to steer clear.

It should be a wake up call to Nigerian Gov't to really understand how the whole world feel about us.
I do not care where Obama Visit first.

Nigerian Gov't through their chairman of stock exchange Prof Ndidi and co try to collect millions of dollars for
Obama's election.

What a shame.

Did Ghana send a delegation? No.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by redsun(m): 6:19pm On May 17, 2009
Ghana tend to be more politically objective and focus than nigeria that is run by bunch of retarded hoodlums.

Though recently,one cabinet minister in ghana was caught tying to smuggle in cocaine into a foreign country with his diplomatic immunity,i don't how far it is true but i was told by a ghanian,they don't seem to have much faith in the present government.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by redsun(m): 6:20pm On May 17, 2009
Ghana tend to be more politically objective and focus than nigeria that is run by bunch of retarded hoodlums.

Though recently,one cabinet minister in ghana was caught tying to smuggle in cocaine into a foreign country with his diplomatic immunity,i don't how far it is true but i was told by a ghanian,they don't seem to have much faith in the present government.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Thor(m): 6:25pm On May 17, 2009
Becuase Ghana is a forward thinking, developing nation with good prospects for the future, no yahoo boys and people that want to work for a living undecided
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by ifihearam: 6:30pm On May 17, 2009
On a second thought,MUST OBAMA come to Nigeria?what will be our benefit?
when Clinton visited what was it we benefitted?
all i remember he said was a penny a penny statement all through his stay

Fello Nigerians wether president Obama comes or not it is insignificant because if he comes it would also be an avenue for them to steal more money all in the name of the grand reception of the most powerful man on earth.

Make e dey Ghana
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by naijamini(m): 6:33pm On May 17, 2009
@naliakar

I thought all along that Nigeria was a failed state. Can Nigeria guarantee continuous electricity supply for even one hour Obama may be on the ground if ever he visits.  Who will guarantee his security when all the security organs wil be fighting MEND in the Niger. Give Ghana  a break, the country is way advanced over naija (democratically speaking).

Yes, Ghana does deserve commendation, but focusing on Ghana and ignoring Nigeria will do neither Obama's Africa policy nor Africa any good. Not too long ago in 2007 the same Ghana had an electricity supply crisis, and you know who stepped in with 80 MW of power supply. The West African Gas project that will supply much of Ghana's gas needs originates where? Perhaps as we saw during the campaigns Obama's approach to achieving his ultimate objective tend to be less than obvious at first. I hope that is the case here, but making Ghana the focus of his Sub-Saharan Africa policy would be wrong-headed.

As for power supply, Ghana is in the same boat as Nigeria. I had the chance to visit Accra about a year ago staying about 30km outside the capital. You are met with almost exactly the same scenarios as Nigeria. Once you turn off the main road you are on your own dealing with unpaved and "gullied" out roads, cows were being herded indiscriminately for grazing, power supply was being rotated, and to complete the list a contractor had no qualms digging up the "road" with no consideration for how people will get to their buildings. The black market dominates currency exchange. Finding computing service was a big issue. In Nigeria the kids successfully avoided mosquito bites, but received 10s of bites just outside Accra. There was a radio station who, like most incredulous Nigerians, took the alleged affair between President Obasanjo and his daughter-in-law as gospel truth, and broadcasted it with the certainty of being a eye-observer.

I must say however that the sense of corruption being bread and butter of daily activities was largely absent. Nobody was pursuing you with wares as you traveled the roads, and no custom officer tried to hoodwink you into parting with your money. Still there were hustlers at the airport. I also got the sense that the campaign for President was more meritorious than in Nigeria.

My prayer is for democracy to keep thriving in Ghana and Nigeria, and elsewhere on the continent.

As for Nigeria we need to stop show-boating - the real facts is that our needs far outweigh our resources- and we do need help with technology, not aid. If our leaders will stop fighting among themselves like small kids, curb their slave-mentality driven pilfering ways, and start focusing on the millions that are living in the 19th century in our hinterland the world will really see that Nigeria not only deserves commendation for helping keep Africa from the abyss, but also needs REAL HELP.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by walata44(m): 6:35pm On May 17, 2009
Majority of Nigerians are just illetrate fools - so, because Obama has chosen to go to Ghana before Nigeria, it means Ghana is already a better place than Nigeria?

Are you kidding yourself or me? so you believe Nigeria is better than Ghana, OK that's why Nigerian students fight tooth and nail to get into Ghana universities.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by toshacer: 6:36pm On May 17, 2009
walata44:

Are you kidding yourself or me? so you believe Nigeria is better than Ghana, OK that's why Nigerian students fight tooth and nail to get into Ghana universities.

Beleive what u can.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by walata44(m): 6:37pm On May 17, 2009
the U.S. would have opted for South Africa, but that country is looking more and more like Nigeria these days.

Are you implying that election of ZUMA was rigged?
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by naijamini(m): 6:49pm On May 17, 2009
@walata44
Are you implying that election of ZUMA was rigged?

No I am not implying that at all, although you cannot take it for granted, but South Africa does have a better electoral system than Nigeria. However, the crime rate in South Africa, while not as public as Nigeria's, is judged by many commentators as among the worst in the world. Plus, they just elected a leader who has to choose which among his many wives to be first lady. The fight between Zuma and Mbeki was reminiscent of Atiku and Obasanjo, and the latter even wished at a point that he had powers to dismiss his vice-president like in South Africa. Doesn't sound like Nigeria to you(?)
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by OneNaija(m): 7:02pm On May 17, 2009
@ What wrong with you all in Nairaland sef. Na wa oo. Ha ba .Obama Obama Obama obama . Wetin sef. Make una shut up make una find better discussion bring. Na Obama Obama na won solve una problem. full of shit you all. Better wake up. Stupid Nigerians wen dey Nairaland.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Kermitt: 7:13pm On May 17, 2009
I knew Obama's Ghana visit would be a hit on Nairaland.
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Becomrich: 8:21pm On May 17, 2009
The USA FBI have to clear obama to visit. And the FBI have prove that nigeria election is fraud. USA govt does not like Fraud based government. It is USA policy.

That why we have put a bill to stop all this fraud. And make the North majority in Nigeria instead of the minority that are. That way, they do not have to continue to rig election. This bill removes the Yoruba, edo,delta and bayelsa into Benin republic, making the north majority. And there would not be need for fraud in election in Nigeria.

here is the copy of the bill. President Yar adua, senators, houses member and clark would already have the bill in thier email before tomorrow sitting. They should all check thier email.

A BILL
AN ACT TO CREATE THE NIGERIA-BENIN COMMISSION AND BOUNDARY RELOCATION AND NIGERIA-BENIN PARLIAMENT.

SPONSORS
EGBE OMO ODUDUWA

This Bill shall amend the boundary of Nigeria. And the following state of Bayelsa, Edo, Ekiti, lagos,Oyo, Ogun, Delta, Ondo, Osun, Kwara,kogi and Borgu(niger state) [Belodok states ] shall be permanently transferred to Benin Republic with supervision of the Nigeria-Benin commission. All land, air, coastal area, land, everything inside its land and air shall belong to the Republic of Benin
NIGERIA-BENIN COMMISSION ROLE AND RULES
This bill also create the Nigeria- Benin commission, which is to be headed by the president of Nigeria and President of Benin republic in rotation. A Two year duration , shall be approved by members of the Nigeria-Benin commission. The head of the Nigeria-Benin commission shall be called President General. The position of President General is reserved for only the president of Nigeria and Benin Republic. No other member of the Nigeria- Benin commission can hold the position of President General or deputy President General apart from this two.

The position of President General shall be rotated between the president of Nigeria and Benin republic. While the position of deputy President General shall be rotated between the president of Nigeria and Benin republic. With Nigeria President Umar Yar Adua starting first.

The Nigeria-Benin commission shall have 17 members. There are
The president of Nigeria.
The president of Benin republic
The president of Nigeria-Benin parliament
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament (Nigeria)
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament(Nigeria)
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament(Nigeria)
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament(Benin)
The senate president of Nigeria Senate
The Deputy senate president of Nigeria senate
The President of the Nigeria house of representative
The deputy President of Nigeria house of representative
The senate president of Benin Senate
The Deputy senate president of Benin senate
The President of the Benin house of representative
The deputy President of Benin house of representative

All serving governor, members of the senate, house of representative, chairman of local government, all elected position shall retain their position either transferred from Nigeria to the New Republic of Benin or in Nigeria.
There would be one currency in Nigeria and Benin republic with one central bank in each country. The currency shall be knew as Nibe. From the first two letter of the name of Nigeria and Benin Republic.
Nigeria and Benin Republic would financed the Nigeria-Benin commission and Nigeria-Benin parliament base on a 70% for Nigeria and 30% Republic of Benin ratio.
And an open boundary with no immigration officers expect at the boundary with other nation apart from Nigeria and Benin Republic.
All citizen of both Nigeria and Benin shall have right of resident in both country.
Nigeria and Benin republic shall still remain separate sovereign nation
This bill is based on the willingness of Benin republic accepting the Belodok state, if in an otherwise case the Belodok states shall become sovereign nation and all refers to Benin republic in this bill shall be replaced by Belodok, including the commission and parliament.

The Nigeria-Benin commission role is an executive role , while the Nigeria-Benin parliament is a legislative role.
All non physical assets of Nigeria including money and external reserve and other should be divided and transferred with a ratio 70% for Nigeria and 30% for Benin Republic.
Nigeria and Benin Republic shall contribute military force to Ecowas, Africa union and United nation if need be.
All office, officer and position either in the military or civilian retain in the Nigeria shall be transfer over to Benin republic and shall all retain the same position expect if in conflict. All personel should not be sacked. And most retain their position or be created.
All physical military position and assets of Nigeria including money, weapon, ships, tanks and others and other should be divided and transferred with a ratio 70% for Nigeria and 30% for Benin Republic.
All military personel in Nigeria of the New Republic of Benin origin shall be transfer to the Republic of Benin and retain the same military position and rank expect if there is conflict.
All civilian personel in Nigeria service of the New Republic of Benin origin shall be transfer to the Republic of Benin and retain the same position and scale expect if there is conflict.
All physical assets outside of Nigeria should be divided and transferred with a ratio 60% for Nigeria and 40% for Benin Republic.
All physical properties, document and other in The New Republic of Benin should be transfer by Nigeria. Include Airport, stadium, universities, roads, railway, seaport, etc belonging to Nigeria but is located in the New Republic of Benin shall be transfer to the Republic of Benin.

Each countries shall monitors its territory according to international law.
All international agency should be inform of the change in boundary and the establishment of the Nigeria-Benin commission including Ecowas, Africa union, the United Nation, European Union, USA, UK, Canada, China, India, Japan, Germany France, south Africa and other countries.
Nigeria-Benin commission headquarter, activate and site shall be located not in the capital of both country but on both countries bank of the River Niger at Mokwa in Niger state and Jebba in Kwara state. While Abuja would still remain the capital of Nigeria.
Nigeria-Benin commission duty include to execute law and rule set for it by the Nigeria-Benin parliament.

NIGERIA-BENIN PARLIAMENT ROLE AND RULES.

Nigeria-Benin parliament official languages shall be in English and French
Nigeria-Benin parliament headquarter, activate and site shall be located not in the capital of both country but on both countries bank of the River Niger at Mokwa in Niger state and Jebba in Kwara state. While Abuja would remain the capital of Nigeria.
The present Nigeria and Benin republic senate and house of representative would be merge on both level to create the initial Nigeria-Benin parliament.
In future the Nigeria-Benin parliament shall be made of members 60% of Nigeria and 40% of Benin Republic members.

The Nigeria-Benin parliament shall formate law leading to the unity of both economy
Nigeria-Benin parliament shall have one President and 6 deputy President. Three each from Nigeria and Republic of Benin
Nigeria-Benin business licensing board shall be created to licence business in the Nigeria-Benin parliament area.
All business licence shall be merge.
All members of Nigeria-Benin parliament shall be eligible for election to the office of President or deputy president of Nigeria-Benin Parliament.
The President or deputy president of the Nigeria-Benin parliament cannot combine his duties with any post expect ecowas related.
The President shall reside at the seat of the Parliament.
Before every round of voting at the Nigeria-Benin Parliament, the list of candidates for the post of President or deputy president shall be submitted to the Oldest Representative in term of age who shall read it out to the Parliament.
The President shall be elected by a two-thirds of Members of Parliament at the first round of voting, by an absolute majority of voting members at the following rounds at which only two (2) candidates who obtained the highest number of votes shall be presented.
As soon as the President has been elected, the oldest Representative shall vacate the Chair as acting President of Nigeria-Benin Parliament .
Only the elected President of the Nigeria-Benin Parliament may deliver an opening address.

Election of Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament
Six (6) Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament would be elected. Three each from Nigeria and republic of Benin.
Six (6) Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall then be elected separately. The candidate obtaining the majority of the votes cast on the first ballot shall be declared elected.
Should the number of candidates elected be less than the number of seats to be filled, a second ballot shall be held under the same conditions to fill the remaining seats.
Should a third ballot be necessary, a relative majority shall suffice for election to the remaining seats.
New nominations may be introduced between ballots during the election of Deputy President
Deputy Presidents to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall take precedence in the order in which they were elected and, in the event of a tie, by age,
The term of office of the President or Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall be one time term of two years
The term of office of the President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall be rotated between Nigeria and Benin Republic.
The term of office of the all members of the Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall be four years.

The Parliament may, on the basis of the report of a special committee, remove the President or Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament by a vote of two-thirds majority of the members, for serious shortcomings in the management of the affairs of the Parliament .
The special Committee may be set up at the request of a parliamentary group or at least twenty (20) Members of Parliament. The decision to set up the Committee shall be approved by a simple majority of the Members of Parliament of Parliament.
When a Representative changes parliamentary group he shall retain, for the remainder of his term of office, any seat he holds in the Nigeria-Benin Parliament.
Should a vacancy for one of these positions occur before the expiry of his term, the Representative elected shall serve only for the remaining period of his predecessor's term of office.

Vacancies
Should it be necessary for the President, a Deputy President or any other member of the Nigeria-Benin Parliament to be replaced, his successor shall be elected in accordance with these rules.
A newly elected Deputy President shall take the place of his predecessor in the order of precedence.
Should the President’s seat become vacant, the first Deputy President shall act as President until a new President is elected.
Duties of the President
The President shall direct all the activities of Parliament and its bodies under the conditions laid down in these Rules. He/she shall enjoy all the powers necessary to preside over the proceedings of Parliament and to ensure that they are properly conducted.
The duties of the President shall be to open, suspend and close sittings, to ensure observance of these Rules, maintain order, call upon Presidents, close debates, put matters to the vote and announce the results of votes, and to refer to Committees any communications that concern them.
The President may speak in a debate. Should he wish to take part in a debate, he shall vacate the Chair and shall not reoccupy it until the debate is over.
Parliament shall be represented in international relations, on ceremonial occasions and in administrative, legal or financial matters by the President, who may delegate these powers.
Duties of the Deputy President
Should the President be absent or unable to discharge his duties, or should he wish to take part in a debate pursuant to Rule , he shall be replaced by one of the Deputy Presidents, in order of hierarchy.
Duties of Treasurers
The Treasurers shall be responsible for administrative and financial matters directly concerning Members of Parliament, pursuant to guidelines laid down by the Nigeria-Benin Parliament
Re: Why Is Obama Visiting Ghana Before Nigeria? by Becomrich: 9:47pm On May 17, 2009
be back

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Billards Clash Leads To 4 Deaths And Burning Of 5 Mosques And 50 Homes / NNPC: "Oil Thieves Have Hijacked Political Power!" / Former Speaker, Imam, 3000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.